Grass-fed food directory

Mikel said:
Do You know how the term "grass fed" is used in France?

I am currently here and trying to find good meat shops but it is a challenge with french language.

Help please.

If you're in a rural area and go to a local butcher, there's a high chance that the meat will be grass-fed, or mostly grass fed at the worst.

I have found one!
J'ai trouve :)

It is in Gonfreville l'Orcher and is called "Les Huits Fermes". They do not have beef but have pork, mutton, egs, poultry, butter and some greens. Well, do not know if pigs are free ranged but anyway coming from local farmers. I do not speak french (just survival skills in that language) and do not know how to ask them for where the pigs come from. Anyway meet smells good. Graisse d'oie is delicious.

Sylvie & Adaryn - merci beaucoup.

Great Mikel - I'm glad for you! :)

Mikel said:
I do not speak french (just survival skills in that language) and do not know how to ask them for where the pigs come from.

You ask them: "De quelle origine ou localité provient la viande de porc ?"

Gawan said:
FWIW I found a woolly-pig farm in Germany with great prices imo. According to the page they are not fed with gluten: grass, pumpkin, acorns and non modified corn.

_http://www.mangalitzawollschwein.de/fleischpreise-versand/preise-wollschwein/

The price for 1kg is 7,50 € which is pretty low and should contain much fat, but I like to ask them. The shipping costs are high, but considering that it must be cooled and transported over a longer distance it is normal and in total for 10kg meat ~20€. And the last butchering was at the end of August.

I like to order maybe about 4kg in the next days, well if possible and available.

But as I researched a bit about meat, I think it is important, what for example Lierre Keith wrote in her book, to get into contact to local organic-meat-farmers and maybe hunters as well.

I found a gentleman in my village that keeps pigs on the side so to speak. These pigs do not eat grains, but grass, peelings and so on. The bacon was really good! Lovely taste. I bought about half a pig (sounds strange) and paid 8 euros a kilo. He also gave me the pig's feet, kidneys and the fat so that we could render some lard. In our village we still have people that know how to cut the meat themselves. I was even asked whether I would like to have the head!

That said we also bought half a pig from the butcher in our village and I am sure the pig was fed with grains. But still, the taste was good and the meat was nice and fatty. It cost us less than four euros a kilo (The Netherlands are very expensive.)

Grass-fed beef can be found here for Dutch people that live or work up north.

http://www.ekonoom.nl/producten.asp?grp=108&sub=18

(Lauwersland Natuurvlees)

Mariama said:
I found a gentleman in my village that keeps pigs on the side so to speak. These pigs do not eat grains, but grass, peelings and so on. The bacon was really good! Lovely taste. I bought about half a pig (sounds strange) and paid 8 euros a kilo. He also gave me the pig's feet, kidneys and the fat so that we could render some lard. In our village we still have people that know how to cut the meat themselves. I was even asked whether I would like to have the head!

That said we also bought half a pig from the butcher in our village and I am sure the pig was fed with grains. But still, the taste was good and the meat was nice and fatty. It cost us less than four euros a kilo (The Netherlands are very expensive.)

That's great Mariama! Here's what I found so far, regarding good quality meat/products from the Netherlands:

- http://www.modderbaard.nl/grasgevoerd/ (for grassfed meat)
- http://biovleesbestellen.nl/ (also pretty good meat, maybe worth mentioning is that the Jersey Rosé meat that they sell there comes from calves that have not been vaccinated)
You can also get very good quality ghee from there (see 'Jersey producten'). The ghee from the organic store where I work at has a really strong smell and a taste that I just couldn't stand. But this ghee is lovely.
I also buy fat from the calf there (kalfsvet). Right now I ordered fats around the kidneys (which I've read is nutritious), so that I can render it myself and have some cracklings again. You can also get pretty much any organ there if you ask for it.
- It's also possible to order a whole/half of a pig here (like you did): http://www.frankenfrij.nl/ It'd be best to make sure that you don't want your adopted pig to be fed any grains.
- As far as I understand, organic lamb meat is always grassfed, but best to always ask.

Basically, you can usually get what you want by asking any organic/grassfed farm for options. Fwiw.

Oxajil said:
Mariama said:

That's great Mariama! Here's what I found so far, regarding good quality meat/products from the Netherlands:

- http://biovleesbestellen.nl/ (also pretty good meat, maybe worth mentioning is that the Jersey Rosé meat that they sell there comes from calves that have not been vaccinated)
You can also get very good quality ghee from there (see 'Jersey producten'). The ghee from the organic store where I work at has a really strong smell and a taste that I just couldn't stand. But this ghee is lovely.
I also buy fat from the calf there (kalfsvet). Right now I ordered fats around the kidneys (which I've read is nutritious), so that I can render it myself and have some cracklings again. You can also get pretty much any organ there if you ask for it.
- It's also possible to order a whole/half of a pig here (like you did): http://www.frankenfrij.nl/ It'd be best to make sure that you don't want your adopted pig to be fed any grains.
- As far as I understand, organic lamb meat is always grassfed, but best to always ask.

Basically, you can usually get what you want by asking any organic/grassfed farm for options. Fwiw.

Thank you both, Mariama and Oxajil for these links, makes it a little bit more easy to find good sources of meat

Oxajil said:

This is brilliant information, Oxajil. It makes a grass-fed meat diet so much more doable this way. :flowers:
Through your website at the top I have found a farmer where I could actually buy the whole cow, if only I had the space. ;) But they sell quantities of 20 kilos (and also supply meat for dogs for free). At a very reasonable price. About 8 euros a kilo and they deliver to my door for a very reasonable price as well. Maybe it is cheaper because we are up North.

I think I will order some fat from biovleesbestellen.nl, but their meat is pricey, OSIT.
BTW, I have made my own first batch of ghee this week from grass butter (grasboter) and it has a lovely yellow colour. Much cheaper if you make it yourself. :D

You're welcome guys!

Mariama said:
This is brilliant information, Oxajil. It makes a grass-fed meat diet so much more doable this way. :flowers:
Through your website at the top I have found a farmer where I could actually buy the whole cow, if only I had the space. ;) But they sell quantities of 20 kilos (and also supply meat for dogs for free). At a very reasonable price. About 8 euros a kilo and they deliver to my door for a very reasonable price as well. Maybe it is cheaper because we are up North.

Wow, that is really nice! And yes, 8 euro's a kilo is a pretty good deal.

Mariama said:
I think I will order some fat from biovleesbestellen.nl, but their meat is pricey, OSIT.
BTW, I have made my own first batch of ghee this week from grass butter (grasboter) and it has a lovely yellow colour. Much cheaper if you make it yourself. :D

Indeed, the meat is pretty expensive there, so I primarily get my fats (4E a kilo) and ghee from there. Cool that you made your own ghee, I might try that out sometime too. :)

In Belgium you can find Grass-fed meat at www.veeakker.be. This for the flemisch part of the country. You order your meat and pick it up at a certain place/town once a month.
I am doingt his for the last ten years. Heard about it from an old farmer who told me about agroup of farmers who decided to feed their animals healthy food. It is rather pricy but very good/tasty

maxtree said:
In Belgium you can find Grass-fed meat at www.veeakker.be. This for the flemisch part of the country. You order your meat and pick it up at a certain place/town once a month.
I am doingt his for the last ten years. Heard about it from an old farmer who told me about agroup of farmers who decided to feed their animals healthy food. It is rather pricy but very good/tasty

You might want to check the prices in The Netherlands, Maxtree, and see if it is cheaper to drive up to Holland once a month to get your meat. :)

S
Mariama said:
maxtree said:

You might want to check the prices in The Netherlands, Maxtree, and see if it is cheaper to drive up to Holland once a month to get your meat. :)

Thanks Mariama for the info. Small problem; I don't have a car.

In the US I found www.rockymtncuts.com, all of their beef is grass fed and grass finished organic. I was thinking about trying their 'Good Cooking Bundle' that comes with 20lbs. of assorted cuts priced at $8.90/lb. Also, their cured beef sticks look like a good snack. They also offer free shipping for orders over $200.

Thanks for the link Domi!

It is clear that we cannot have grain fed Beef/Pork/Lamb
especially if the grains are GMOed. I am in Oregon as you
know, and it is not easy to determine if the lists show 100%
grain free (or grass-fed & free-ranging w/o grain), so this
means I would have to call each farm to ensure the meat is
"pure". Also, I would have to ask if they can do the butchering
since we live in the burbs.

Again, thanks!

maxtree said:
S
Mariama said:
maxtree said:

Thanks Mariama for the info. Small problem; I don't have a car.

What about looking for someone with a car that is also interested in purchasing lots of healthy and delicious meats? :) Or other products?

Back
Top Bottom