Gurdjieff's Primitive Cosmology

caballero reyes said:
From reply 33 of genero81.-

"I would have sworn he was hinting at hyper-dimensional influences".

From reply 40 of perfectcircle.-.

"Indeed, I felt strange for someone as him not talking about other realities".

----------------- ---------------- ------------------

I also found it strange that G. did not talk about other realities and thought he did not because he kept certain ideas such as Hyper-Dimensionality and some others and communicated particularly to his closest circle of students, as if it were a school of mysteries.
It is also interesting that Ouspensky, who was supposed to be very intelligent, had traveled the world searching for the truth, to finish his search with the "truths" that were communicated to him by G., but in the end, he was not very convinced of the ideas gathered from groups in various regions by the so-called "20th century magician".

I wonder if they were really doing a "Fourth Way" work, but they went astray by obeying some other mission whose nature there are only assumptions and they forgot to continue the truly difficult path to the inside of themselves.
The Cs. speak very clearly about this when they alert scientists and thinkers with ideas of the third dimension, that they lack to add something to their scientific thoughts of the third dimension because they are leaving aside a very important element in the general equation.

BTW. It is well known that there has been a very important Shamanic knowledge in Siberia, but it seems that Ouspensky does not interest him much, or simply ignore it.

The whole thing is darned peculiar.

One of the goals of the "Gurjieff and Hypnosis" book, as stated by Tamdgidi in the introduction, is to determine to what extent Gurdjieff was using hypnotic techniques both in direct interactions AND in his writings. I suppose that the same question would apply to his responses to questions by Ouspensky that were recorded in ISOTM. And so, of course, one wonders if his students, who spread his work around, were - so to say - in his thrall? Reading this hermenuetic study pretty much lays out what WAS in his work, both implicit and explicit. Because, truly, considering what else was available at the time, one has difficulty imagining why his ideas got such traction.

I was thinking earlier about Castaneda. We've pretty much gone over that and determined that he was heavily utilizing Gurdjieff, only his "unworldly beings" are not the least bit "good guys" as Gurdjieff holds them to be. He also put things in very different terms. His interpretation of "organ Kundabuffer" was "the predator's mind". I suppose we'll want to look at that again at some point to see how materialistic it actually is; we need to be able to read without projecting into what we read more than the author intended.

Laura said:
I suppose we'll want to look at that again at some point to see how materialistic it actually is; we need to be able to read without projecting into what we read more than the author intended.

Yes, there’s quite a process of revue needed there with regard to G (or at least as I find it in myself), to decouple what has been projected into his writings based on other things that have been studied here and the idea of hyper-dimensional realities / densities. There’s a sense though that that will be no bad thing, there IS this air of mystery around G which he seems to have gone out of his way to create.

I notice as well that there’s a part of me that wants G to be perfect and have all the answers, and that part happily fills in the blanks where it doesn’t make sense, with all sorts of justifications as to why, the solution to which is that the error must be within oneself. That’s quite a hook, and that at a distance from his writings long after G has gone. Reading first hand accounts of his students they often did indeed seem to be in thrall to him. It’s always been a curious question though as to what they then did, what were the long term fruits?

On reading the opening post to the thread this passage cames to mind:

[quote author=In Search of the Miraculous]"But first of all another thing must be understood, namely, that knowledge cannot belong to all, cannot even belong to many. Such is the law. You do not understand this because you do not understand that knowledge, like everything else in the world, is material. It is material, and this means that it possesses all the characteristics of materiality. One of the first characteristics of materiality is that matter is always limited, that is to say, the quantity of matter in a given place and under given conditions is limited. Even the sand of the desert and the water of the sea is a definite and unchangeable quantity. So that, if knowledge is material, then it means that there is a definite quantity of it in a given place at a given time. It may be said that, in the course of a certain period of time, say a century, humanity has a definite amount of knowledge at its disposal. But we know, even from an ordinary observation of life, that the matter of knowledge possesses entirely different qualities according to whether it is taken in small or large quantities. Taken in a large quantity in a given place, that is by one man, let us say, or by a small group of men, it produces very good results; taken in a small quantity (that is, by every one of a large number of people), it gives no results at all; or it may give even negative results, contrary to those expected. Thus if a certain definite quantity of knowledge is distributed among millions of people, each individual will receive very little, and this small amount of knowledge will change nothing either in his life or in his understanding of things. And however large the number of people who receive this small amount of knowledge, it will change nothing in their lives, except, perhaps, to make them still more difficult.

"But if, on the contrary, large quantities of knowledge are concentrated in a small number of people, then this knowledge will give very great results. From this point of view it is far more advantageous that knowledge should be preserved among a small number of people and not dispersed among the masses.

"If we take a certain quantity of gold and decide to gild a number of objects with it, we must know, or calculate, exactly what number of objects can be gilded with this quantity of gold. If we try to gild a greater number, they will be covered with gold unevenly, in patches, and will look much worse than if they had no gold at all; in fact we shall lose our gold.

"The distribution of knowledge is based upon exactly the same principle. If knowledge is given to all, nobody will get any. If it is preserved among a few, each will receive not only enough to keep, but to increase, what he receives.

"At the first glance this theory seems very unjust, since the position of those who are, so to speak, denied knowledge in order that others may receive a greater share appears to be very sad and undeservedly harder than it ought to be. Actually, however, this is not so at all; and in the distribution of knowledge there is not the slightest injustice.

"The fact is that the enormous majority of people do not want any knowledge whatever; they refuse their share of it and do not even take the ration allotted to them, in the general distribution, for the purposes of life. This is particularly evident in times of mass madness such as wars, revolutions, and so on, when men suddenly seem to lose even the small amount of common sense they had and turn into complete automatons, giving themselves over to wholesale destruction in vast numbers, in other words, even losing the instinct of self-preservation. Owing to this, enormous quantities of knowledge remain, so to speak, unclaimed and can be distributed among those who realize its value.

"There is nothing unjust in this, because those who receive knowledge take nothing that belongs to others, deprive others of nothing; they take only what others have rejected as useless and what would in any case be lost if they did not take it.

"The collecting of knowledge by some depends upon the rejection of knowledge by others.

"There are periods in the life of humanity, which generally coincide with the beginning of the fall of cultures and civilizations, when the masses irretrievably lose their reason and begin to destroy everything that has been created by centuries and millenniums of culture. Such periods of mass madness, often coinciding with geological cataclysms, climatic changes, and similar phenomena of a planetary character, release a very great quantity of the matter of knowledge. This, in its turn, necessitates the work of collecting this matter of knowledge which would otherwise be lost. Thus the work of collecting scattered matter of knowledge frequently coincides with the beginning of the destruction and fall of cultures and civilizations."[/quote]

That quote has been raised before as the final paragraph seems to fit with what we see actually happening, so there’s a degree of projection (if that fits then make the rest of it fit!), G must know. But you don’t need the 'knowledge is matter’ idea for those latter observations to still be accurate / relevant. He just came at it from the wrong angle.

So yes, a process of discerning what is the baby and what is the bathwater would be good, to be free of any illusions there.

Coincidentally this snippet from article posted on SOTT a couple of days ago fits well here. Given the knowledge available at the time, as suggested already, perhaps G had no way of conceptualizing the non-material realm/s, the idea didn’t exist?

Advanced life may exist in a form beyond matter

Astrophysicist Paul Davies at Arizona State University suggests that advanced technology might not even be made of matter; that it might have no fixed size or shape; have no well-defined boundaries; is dynamical on all scales of space and time; or, conversely, does not appear to do anything at all that we can discern; does not consist of discrete, separate things; but rather it is a system, or a subtle higher-level correlation of things. Are matter and information, Davies asks, all there is? Five hundred years ago, Davies writes, " the very concept of a device manipulating information, or software, would have been incomprehensible. Might there be a still higher level, as yet outside all human experience, that organizes electrons? If so, this "third level" would never be manifest through observations made at the informational level, still less at the matter level.

We should be open to the distinct possibility that advanced alien technology a billion years old may operate at the third, or perhaps even a fourth or fifth level - all of which are totally incomprehensible to the human mind at our current state of evolution.

Alada said:
On reading the opening post to the thread this passage cames to mind:

[quote author=In Search of the Miraculous]"But first of all another thing must be understood, namely, that knowledge cannot belong to all, cannot even belong to many. Such is the law. You do not understand this because you do not understand that knowledge, like everything else in the world, is material. It is material, and this means that it possesses all the characteristics of materiality. One of the first characteristics of materiality is that matter is always limited, that is to say, the quantity of matter in a given place and under given conditions is limited.

<snip>

That quote has been raised before as the final paragraph seems to fit with what we see actually happening, so there’s a degree of projection (if that fits then make the rest of it fit!), G must know. But you don’t need the 'knowledge is matter’ idea for those latter observations to still be accurate / relevant. He just came at it from the wrong angle.
[/quote]

Indeed. And certainly, according to the theories of Information, knowledge/information is NOT limited in any way, shape, form or fashion. This is something that will be made abundantly clear in Collingwood.

The Cs have equated knowledge with love, and love is not limited either.

But certainly, Gurdjieff lived in a time similar to our own and it's understandable why he drew such a conclusion. Well, it was based on his materialist grounding combined with rather simplistic logical processes. And I don't mean this last to impugn Gurdjieff; what I mean is that it seems that the scientific method itself is grounded in simplistic logic.

Nowadays, people seem to glory in their ignorance. But that's not because knowledge is limited, it is because emotion has been abused and suppressed and has taken over their thinking. Gurdjieff should have figured that out!!! When emotion takes over the thinking processes, real thinking, real assimilation of knowledge and utilization, simply cannot take place. Cs have even referred to this by saying we should learn to "separate limiting emotions based on assumptions from emotions that open one to unlimited possibilities." And, as we well know, assumptions are almost the opposite of knowledge.

Alada said:
Coincidentally this snippet from article posted on SOTT a couple of days ago fits well here. Given the knowledge available at the time, as suggested already, perhaps G had no way of conceptualizing the non-material realm/s, the idea didn’t exist?

A nonphysical realm has been talked about for hundreds/thousands of years in one form or another. Even if one discards the various metaphysical philosophies, religions, and mystical currents by Gurdjieff's time, there was an especially strong interest in what was called "spiritualism" in the US and England, and a lot of activity in Paris as well. He couldn't have missed that possibility unless he was attached to the idea of explaining everything through a mechanistic/materialist framework. Maybe, being a hypnotist (what he calls magician), he came to the conclusion that all supernatural phenomena are psychological/mental in origin, and that coloured his worldview about everything else.

bjorn said:
I haven’t read everything about Gurdjieff, Including the now must-read books Laura shared.

But since the shortcomings of Gurdjieff are discussed. I got a few of my own. Not that I want to create noise, but it has been on my mind for a while.

Gurdjieff spoke so much about false personalities, mechanical behavior, Ego etc. I find him a bit lacking about the alternative. (Real I)

In short The Work is about developing one's conscience and learning to best act upon it.

Now correct me if I’m wrong.

But so far that I know, Gurdjieff was never super involved into geopolitics, politics etc. Nor did he really encourage his pupils to do the same. I don’t get that. A real I acts on one's conscience first and foremost. And that means getting involved in one-way or another while trying to relief the suffering of others and humanity.

Exposing the evil machinations of our World is what comes natural if you do The Work.

It’s a biggy, learning to carry the mantle of responsibility is part of The Work. Did Gurdjieff actively encourage his pupils to head in that direction? Since Doing so seems like essential practice to stimulate the real I.

I don’t know, perhaps the 4th way teachings are incomplete in a sense.
Luke 15 7,
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

Gurdjieff came from a tradition of person to person teaching.

In a similar way to the apostles travelling and teaching in person.

Also one has to remember how much we take
World-Wide communication for granted.
Things were very different in gurdjieffs day.

If the Video in the other thread is to be believed ,
( and I think it can be taken as an symbolic truth )
gurdjieff meeting with stalin had no positive outcome at all.
perhaps in fact Gurdjieffs "Information" made stalin a worse man.

SocietyoftheS​pectacle, you might want to do the reading before you comment any further to save possible embarrassment later!!!

Alada said:
[...]

I notice as well that there’s a part of me that wants G to be perfect and have all the answers, and that part happily fills in the blanks where it doesn’t make sense, with all sorts of justifications as to why, the solution to which is that the error must be within oneself. That’s quite a hook, and that at a distance from his writings long after G has gone. [...]

Same here. I can also see my tendency of admiring Gurdjieff, for being "the perfect teacher", probably has something to do with the fact that I was, and still am, utterly impressed about his insights into human psychology and how accurate and to the point he was there. I still think that holds true, because a lot of what he gathered and discovered there, is just now being rediscovered by modern day neuroscience. I never really wrapped my head around the cosmological stuff, mostly because I always thought that large part of the problem is that I'm simply not able to grasp it. I also notice now, that there has been a lot of assumptions in my thinking there as well, because I simply assumed he 1. knows better and 2. is referring to the same things we discovered with the help of the C's, works like Political Ponerology, and forum discussions.

If I remember correctly, Ra was quite specific on the difference between love and Love... like comparing 3d to 7d....

Pashalis said:
Alada said:
[...]

I notice as well that there’s a part of me that wants G to be perfect and have all the answers, and that part happily fills in the blanks where it doesn’t make sense, with all sorts of justifications as to why, the solution to which is that the error must be within oneself. That’s quite a hook, and that at a distance from his writings long after G has gone. [...]

Same here. I can also see my tendency of admiring Gurdjieff, for being "the perfect teacher", probably has something to do with the fact that I was, and still am, utterly impressed about his insights into human psychology and how accurate and to the point he was there.

Maybe a possible red flag/something to look out for is when you start to 'idealize' someone in some way (after all, humans tend to 'crave authority'). However great their insights may be, they're still a human being with flaws. So, when you (in general, not you in particular) start to focus more on the person than on the information/knowledge they offer, that's where you run the risk of losing objectivity and your ability to assess said information critically (such assessment requiring a large network of people in order to come to the most objective understanding/conclusions).

Laura said:
I was thinking earlier about Castaneda. We've pretty much gone over that and determined that he was heavily utilizing Gurdjieff, only his "unworldly beings" are not the least bit "good guys" as Gurdjieff holds them to be. He also put things in very different terms. His interpretation of "organ Kundabuffer" was "the predator's mind". I suppose we'll want to look at that again at some point to see how materialistic it actually is; we need to be able to read without projecting into what we read more than the author intended.

I read this article about Casteneda recently and it made me wonder about his story. https://www.salon.com/2007/04/12/castaneda/

According to the article, Casteneda lied about his studies with the Yaqui (they don't use peyote- for example). Perhaps he was with other tribes or did peyote without elders to guide him, who knows?

Now I see that he was taking in sources to create a story based on other sources like tribes, hallucinogenic experiences, and G. We know how later he became somewhat a cult leader, so ironically he didn't get his own teachings about the "Predator's Mind" etc.

Adaryn said:
Pashalis said:
Alada said:
[...]

Same here. I can also see my tendency of admiring Gurdjieff, for being "the perfect teacher", probably has something to do with the fact that I was, and still am, utterly impressed about his insights into human psychology and how accurate and to the point he was there.

Maybe a possible red flag/something to look out for is when you start to 'idealize' someone in some way (after all, humans tend to 'crave authority'). However great their insights may be, they're still a human being with flaws. So, when you (in general, not you in particular) start to focus more on the person than on the information/knowledge they offer, that's where you run the risk of losing objectivity and your ability to assess said information critically (such assessment requiring a large network of people in order to come to the most objective understanding/conclusions).

I think the tendency of seeing and acting on things too emotionally rather then approaching things in a stoic way (meaning: not getting invested in something emotionally so much, but rather try to approach it as rationally as possible) is another big piece of the puzzle, that can explain why it is so easy to cloud our perceptions of what is actually there and what isn't (at least that is what I think I've noticed in my self).

Laura said:
And certainly, according to the theories of Information, knowledge/information is NOT limited in any way, shape, form or fashion. This is something that will be made abundantly clear in Collingwood.

The Cs have equated knowledge with love, and love is not limited either.

But certainly, Gurdjieff lived in a time similar to our own and it's understandable why he drew such a conclusion. Well, it was based on his materialist grounding combined with rather simplistic logical processes. And I don't mean this last to impugn Gurdjieff; what I mean is that it seems that the scientific method itself is grounded in simplistic logic.

Nowadays, people seem to glory in their ignorance. But that's not because knowledge is limited, it is because emotion has been abused and suppressed and has taken over their thinking. Gurdjieff should have figured that out!!! When emotion takes over the thinking processes, real thinking, real assimilation of knowledge and utilization, simply cannot take place. Cs have even referred to this by saying we should learn to "separate limiting emotions based on assumptions from emotions that open one to unlimited possibilities." And, as we well know, assumptions are almost the opposite of knowledge.

gdpetti said:
If I remember correctly, Ra was quite specific on the difference between love and Love... like comparing 3d to 7d....

With the above in mind a thought that has been rolling around this morning is that a more 3d interpretation of love could be seen as being material. If we consider ‘the molecules of emotion’ (what the Cs may be referring to in part as "limiting emotions"), ‘love’ driven by chemicals in the body producing emotion and a kind of addiction to same. Not much there in terms of the realm of information and ideas. Not to say that that’s what G had in mind, just an interesting thought perhaps that if love is on a scale/spectrum that it can be either more material/physical or non-physical, has shifting definitions as it move between the two.

There is a sense from reading accounts of G that he did have great love, and that that was driven by ideas. That behind many of his actions was a great love for others in the sense of trying to help them as best he could and as he saw it at the time. But again, some of that might be projection.

On ignorance, I stumbled across the word yesterday where it had been split and emphasized as "ignore-ance". A reminder that in one sense ignorance can be not just a lack of knowledge but willfully ignoring or shutting out, and perhaps that based on our (material?) emotions. As the Cs put it: “Some people think that the world exists for them to overcome or ignore or shut out.”

Seems there’s work to be doing on paying close attention to what our assumptions are. It’s not a question we pose to ourselves too often I think. How can we factor that in to our thought processes?

Adaryn said:

Yes, very good advice! In part maybe there’s some conditioning to overcome there, that we’re raised to seek out search for the external idealised ‘savior’ figure. The Christ figure, lord and savior, the one dude who’s got it all figured out. But maybe the point for everyone being here on the BBM is that we don’t have it all figured out, that if a person did they simply wouldn’t ‘fit’ here and may very quickly move on to the next set of lessons wherever they did then fit.

Adaryn said:
Pashalis said:
Alada said:
[...]

In reading this comes to mind until a certain point the Halo Effect and its counterpart or complementary the Horn(Devil) Effect:
Halo effect as a cognitive bias refers to an observer's overall impression of a person, company, brand, or product influencing the observer's feelings and thoughts about that entity's character or properties.[2][4] It was named by psychologist in reference to a person being perceived as having a halo. Subsequent researchers have studied it in relation to attractiveness and its bearing on the judicial and educational systems. The halo effect is a specific type of confirmation bias, wherein positive feelings in one area cause ambiguous or neutral traits to be viewed positively. Thorndike originally coined the term referring only to people; however, its use has been greatly expanded especially in the area of brand marketing.

The term "halo" is used in analogy with the religious concept: a glowing circle crowning the heads of saints in countless medieval and Renaissance paintings, bathing the saint's face in heavenly light. The observer may be subject to overestimating the worth of the observed by the presence of a quality that adds light on the whole like a halo. In other words, observers tend to bend their judgement according to one patent characteristic of the person (the "halo"), generalizing towards a judgement of that person's character (e.g., in the literal hagiologic case, "entirely good and worthy").

The effect works in both positive and negative directions (and is hence sometimes called the horns and halo effect). If the observer likes one aspect of something, they will have a positive predisposition toward everything about it. If the observer dislikes one aspect of something, they will have a negative predisposition toward everything about it.

And also this:
The definition of halo error that dominated researchers' thinking for most of this century implied that (1) halo error was common, (2) it was a rater error, with true and illusory components, (3) it led to inflated correlations among rating dimensions and was due to the influence of a general evaluation on specific judgments, and (4) it had negative consequences and should be avoided or removed. Research is reviewed showing that all of the major elements of this conception of halo are either wrong or problematic. Because of unresolved confounds of true and illusory halo and the often unclear consequences of halo errors, the authors suggest a moratorium on the use of halo indices as dependent measures in applied research. They suggest specific directions for further research on halo that take into account the context in which judgments are formed and ratings are obtained and that more clearly distinguish between actual halo errors and the apparent halo effect
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4153/2579febfd8c99d39389e9867c5e7776599f2.pdf and http://lesswrong.com/lw/lg/the_affect_heuristic/

zak said:
Adaryn said:
Pashalis said:
Alada said:
[...]

In reading this comes to mind until a certain point the Halo Effect and its counterpart or complementary the Horn(Devil) Effect:
Halo effect as a cognitive bias refers to an observer's overall impression of a person, company, brand, or product influencing the observer's feelings and thoughts about that entity's character or properties.[2][4] It was named by psychologist in reference to a person being perceived as having a halo. Subsequent researchers have studied it in relation to attractiveness and its bearing on the judicial and educational systems. The halo effect is a specific type of confirmation bias, wherein positive feelings in one area cause ambiguous or neutral traits to be viewed positively. Thorndike originally coined the term referring only to people; however, its use has been greatly expanded especially in the area of brand marketing.

The term "halo" is used in analogy with the religious concept: a glowing circle crowning the heads of saints in countless medieval and Renaissance paintings, bathing the saint's face in heavenly light. The observer may be subject to overestimating the worth of the observed by the presence of a quality that adds light on the whole like a halo. In other words, observers tend to bend their judgement according to one patent characteristic of the person (the "halo"), generalizing towards a judgement of that person's character (e.g., in the literal hagiologic case, "entirely good and worthy").

The effect works in both positive and negative directions (and is hence sometimes called the horns and halo effect). If the observer likes one aspect of something, they will have a positive predisposition toward everything about it. If the observer dislikes one aspect of something, they will have a negative predisposition toward everything about it.

And also this:
The definition of halo error that dominated researchers' thinking for most of this century implied that (1) halo error was common, (2) it was a rater error, with true and illusory components, (3) it led to inflated correlations among rating dimensions and was due to the influence of a general evaluation on specific judgments, and (4) it had negative consequences and should be avoided or removed. Research is reviewed showing that all of the major elements of this conception of halo are either wrong or problematic. Because of unresolved confounds of true and illusory halo and the often unclear consequences of halo errors, the authors suggest a moratorium on the use of halo indices as dependent measures in applied research. They suggest specific directions for further research on halo that take into account the context in which judgments are formed and ratings are obtained and that more clearly distinguish between actual halo errors and the apparent halo effect
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4153/2579febfd8c99d39389e9867c5e7776599f2.pdf and http://lesswrong.com/lw/lg/the_affect_heuristic/

And this brings us right back to the research of Daniel Kahneman in his book "Thinking Fast and Slow" and the different cognitive biases he discusses, to which we very easily fall into, because they get activated automatically and much faster then the rational mind can catch up with.

With the above in mind a thought that has been rolling around this morning is that a more 3d interpretation of love could be seen as being material. If we consider ‘the molecules of emotion’ (what the Cs may be referring to in part as "limiting emotions"), ‘love’ driven by chemicals in the body producing emotion and a kind of addiction to same. Not much there in terms of the realm of information and ideas. Not to say that that’s what G had in mind, just an interesting thought perhaps that if love is on a scale/spectrum that it can be either more material/physical or non-physical, has shifting definitions as it move between the two. Seems there’s work to be doing on paying close attention to what our assumptions are. It’s not a question we pose to ourselves too often I think. How can we factor that in to our thought processes?

Personally I think it may be a little reductionistic to construe all limiting emotions as material and all non-limiting emotions as nonmaterial... I mean as 3D beings we are a mixture so all the emotions we can express all need to be able to interface with our genetic body and energy body. Also, there are higher paraphysical or nonphysical beings (4D and 5D STS) that are severely malevolent, so it seems obvious to me that limiting emotions do not have a physical nature by necessity.

Back
Top Bottom