Halitosis/ foul breath

Re: Bad breath / foul smell from the mouth / odour from the mouth

I had bad breath for few days when i started to use xylitol. I have bad breath if i don't floss immediately after each meal.

Laura said:
Carlisle said:
From what I understand, bad breath usually has a lot to do with the tongue and the tonsils, and focusing just on the teeth won't achieve much. I found this site which seems to have good information: _http://www.breathmd.com/sitemap.php

Another issue can be digestion. If you eat the wrong diet and don't digest your food properly, it rots in the stomach and the gases rise to the throat.

I think it also permeates the lungs so that the smell comes out in the breath. I remember buying bad breath capsules once, and they were basically mint, and parsley. The idea being that you are infusing your lungs with it by taking it to digestion, and your breath comes out cleaner, rather then just your mouth. I imagine the oils would have also helped with digestion.

Odyssey said:
davey72 said:
You say you have a greenish yellow mucous in your nose. That sounds like a bacterial infection which through nose to mouth could give you bad breath. I say this because this was the case for me once. I never did see a doctor about it and it eventually went away on its own.

Have you ever tried a neti pot, Mikel? It's used to flush out your nasal passages and clear out "slime", as you call it. You don't actually need a neti pot (but you can use it if you get your hands on one), you can use a syringe with colloidal silver or diluted DMSO (with distilled or RO water, never tap water) and flush out your nose. See this link for more info: _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot.

How long have you had the congestion and is that correspond with the time that your wife complained about your breath?

And as others have said before, take a good look at your diet and what may be causing the inflammation.

Just to chime in Mikel, These and the other suggestions are great and you should do this (I enjoy the netti pot if I'm congested) but if the issue is being caused more due to inflammation caused by diet, this can lead to a constant post-nasal drip that drains down the back of your throat. This leads to breath issues as well as a sore throat and possibly eventually causing stomach issues.

Even if you flush everything out the symptoms will come back until that is under control. If you don't mind me asking how does the back of your throat look? Red and irritated or pink and healthy?

Mikel said:
I have eliminated gluten, dairy, vegetables. ... Maybe I should try more strict elimination? For example I do my own ghee which is for sure not 100% clear of dairy.

What would you be eliminating if you were more strict? Do you use any specific spices or seasonings? Possibly sauces or marinades? Sometimes those can get pretty tricky. OSIT.

PS. When making your ghee butter do you cook it until it doesn't simmer? I usually filter with a paper towel instead of cheesecloth (you may already do this) just to have a finer mesh barrier. I am very sensitive to dairy (as evidenced by postnasal drip and congestion in general) and consequently had to pay strict attention to how I made ghee. So maybe that could be the issue if your ghee butter is big source of fat for you. FWIW.

Personally i find a hot bath or shower pretty good when i am congested. Snorting the water into my nostrils, and letting it soak always seems to do the trick.

Thank You guys for Your advises!

Trendseter37 - back of my throat looks normal and feels normal.
So I do not filter my ghee through paper towel only I pour the fat after it splits from milky thing and that's it. I try to avoid milky part in my fat so usually I just dump it to the sink together with some fat which is not possible to take without contamination.

I say that I want to eliminate some foods because from time to time I eat for example broccoli (once or twice per week), sometimes cauliflower, sometimes 2 or 3 radishes, sometimes onion (with liver or with eggs - maybe 1 per 2 weeks), garlic - now not so often but during winter almost every day. Eggs now I eat mostly yolks (fat bombs :)) but from time to time also whole eggs (now maybe once a month). Sporadically drink alcohol - last time during visit of my friends two weeks ago - once per two/three months - only pure alcohol. Sometimes use xylitol for sweetening tea - currently every two days maybe 1 tea spoon, for fat bomb bit more. Fat bombs I eat maybe 3 times a week. I use rarely pepper. For bone broth laurel, ginger, mayoran - .... hmm here I also put some veggies - carrot and root parsley.

Thanks Carlisle for link and Itellsya and Laura for another hint. Coconut oil pulling will try.
davey72, Felipe4 and Odyssey - thanks for Your opinions and input.

Alcohol is evil. Doesn't mean I don't take a taste now and then, but I know it is evil and I really have to weigh the circumstances and decide if I'm willing to pay the price. Usually, I'm not.

It was mentioned already that post-nasal drip and phlegm in the throat is a sign of consumption of something that is inflammatory or to which the body is reacting. I get this big time with quite a number of foods. Milk or any kind of cheese or other dairy proteins are the absolute worst.

I get bad breath occasionally which i think has its roots in digestion imbalances (eg. after eating when not really hungry). Do you tend to feel any digestive discomfort, like elevated acidity or something? Maybe just try to fast for a day or two and see if the smell goes away. This can show if a dietetary factor is involved.

Having tried all the tips and if the problem persists... another possibility is a diverticulum (Zenker diverticulum) formation in the esophagus. It is infamous for causing bad breath no matter what you do or not do. FWIW!

A lot of times bad breath can be caused by an imbalance of bacteria, both in the mouth and the rest of the digestive tract. I would try probiotics. Some companies offer probiotic gum or lozenges (watch for evil ingredients, though). You could also start taking probiotic pills on a daily basis for the rest of the digestive tract.

If it's digestion issues causing the bad breath (could be lack of HCL/stomach acid or insufficient bile production?), you might want to try digestive bitters either before or after meals. Traditional practice in many places and bitters are available in stores. They are fairly easy to make if you have dandelions and other plants like yellow dock. I just made a batch this Spring. Helps with skin problems and indigestion and bad breath by stimulating bile flow.

I was just reading in the Coconut Keto Diet book that if you are on a ketogenic diet and you have bad breath, it means you are detoxing massively.

MCT's in coconut oil stimulate bile production so a herx reaction as the cause for bad breath makes more sense for someone on a keto/coconut diet

Laura said:
I was just reading in the Coconut Keto Diet book that if you are on a ketogenic diet and you have bad breath, it means you are detoxing massively.

She also recommends grapefruit seed extract for dealing with the halitosis. (A few drops in water can make a mouthwash solution to swish and gargle.)

Laura said:
Alcohol is evil. Doesn't mean I don't take a taste now and then, but I know it is evil and I really have to weigh the circumstances and decide if I'm willing to pay the price. Usually, I'm not.

It was mentioned already that post-nasal drip and phlegm in the throat is a sign of consumption of something that is inflammatory or to which the body is reacting. I get this big time with quite a number of foods. Milk or any kind of cheese or other dairy proteins are the absolute worst.

Oh yes, Laura. Alcohol is evil, which is precisely why they made it part our culture. Alcohol has played a massive part in my life. For the last 13 years I haven't been a 'drunk,' as I was previously to that. But it's still there. I go weeks without taking a drink. And when I do it's low alcohol. But even low alcohol alters my perception, thoughts and behaviour.

Believe it or not, on those rare occasions that I indulge, I have no more than five cans of 3.5 alcohol beer. The next day, and the one after, the world is a very dark place, and I feel powerless. When it clears the world lightens and I feel powerful again. The power, as I perceive it, is control of what I think and do, and a belief that the human race can win through against the STS onslaught.

Bloody alcohol. But I suppose if it wasn't alcohol it would be something else.

Thanks for that gem of communication.

Mikel since completely giving up alcohol over a year ago I have no more sinus trouble.....I never realised how good life could be without it.....in many ways!

I also use the inter dental brushes which are a little piece of wire, coated in small bristles, which you slide in between your teeth to get the bacteria out. This would be a cheaper option than buying a Dental Pik initially. My dentist advised me that they are much better than floss which only partially removes the bacteria and this I have proven as I have no sign on bleeding gums now, but always did when using floss. The inter dental brushes come is various sizes depending on the space between your teeth. I then rinse my mouth with saline (pinch of salt in half a glass of water) afterwards.

As Laura stated it could be a sign that you are detoxing....this is known as 'keto breath' but more likely, when in this state, the odor is a 'fruity' smell and this is not the case with you! This is well known in people with diabetes when they too go into ketosis, however for them it means that their diabetes is not being managed well......another story!

Since I am preparing for transitioning onto keto I have had no experience so others may like to add to this post.

Back
Top Bottom