Halitosis/ foul breath

Re: Bad breath / foul smell from the mouth / odour from the mouth

Laura said:
Yes, I use my waterpik every day. It's better than floss or toothpicks.

Also, I received the following yesterday from the paleohacks website that you might like to try:

Today I've got a very interesting 'trick' that I've been doing for a few weeks now - that can dramatically improve your health.

Let's face it, we are exposed to an alarming amount of toxins on a daily basis.

In fact, every time I walk into my apartment building, I'm greeted by a sign that says:

WARNING: Products used in this building contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Beyond that, there's BPA that lines our canned goods...

Pesticides that are sprayed on seemingly anything alive...

Even though you may try to live as chemical-free a life as possible, sneaky sources of dangerous metals are everywhere, even in 'all natural' products that fool consumers into believing these ingredients are safe. (FYI: the FDA has no strict definition for what "all natural" is and isn't)

Over time, high concentrations of metals build up in our systems and can lead to a wide variety of conditions, including, but not limited to:

* Anemia
* Dizziness
* Fatigue
* Dry skin
* Joint or muscle aches
* Loss of appetite
* Blood pressure issues
* Nausea
* Vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Try as you may, there's just no getting around the obscene amounts of toxins we are exposed to daily.

Introducing the Coconut Oil Pulling Method:

Modern naturopathic practitioners are joining with ancient Ayurvedic health practitioners in an understanding of just how powerful a detoxification and healing tool oil pulling really is.

Although coconut oil is not the only oil that can be used to oil pull (others include sesame, sunflower and olive), I'm a big fan of its long list of health-promoting properties (for both oil pulling and/or coconut oil ingestion), listed below:

* Antibacterial * stops bacteria that cause gum disease, throat infections, urinary tract infections and ulcers in their tracks.
* Anticarcinogenic * keeps dangerous cancer cells from spreading while boosting immunity.
* Antifunga * destroys infection-promoting fungus and yeast.
* Anti-inflammatory * suppresses inflammation and repairs tissue.
* Antimicrobial * inactivates harmful microbes and fights infection.
* Antioxidant * protects from free radical damage.
* Antiparasiti * can help rid the body of tapeworms and other parasites.
* Anti-protozoa * kills protozoan infection in the gut.
* Antivira * helps to kill dangerous viruses that cause influenza, measles, hepatitis and more.

Some positive side effects of oil pulling may include the following:

* Overall strengthening of teeth, gums and jaw
* Plaque prevention
* Prevention of halitosis (bad breath)
* Prevention of cavities and diseases such as gingivitis
* Prevention of lip, mouth and throat dryness
* Possible remedy for jaw soreness and TMJ
* Relief of migraine headache
* Hormone imbalance correction
* Inflammation reduction
* Support of normal kidney function
* Relief from sinus congestion
* Relief from eczema
* Improved vision
* Pain reduction
* Aids in detoxification
* Helps with insomnia

Follow these instructions to perform the oil pulling method:

1. Oil pulling should be done on an empty stomach (preferably first thing in the morning)

2. Use one tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil * you may want to start with ½ tablespoon and work your way up to a tablespoon.

3. Swish the oil around in your mouth slowly and be sure that the oil reaches all parts of your mouth * do not swallow.

4. Swish for five to ten minutes. Try to work up to twenty minutes if you can.

5. Spit out all of the oil when you are done and rinse your mouth with water.

6. Brush with a natural toothpaste afterwards.

I have personally noticed that my teeth feel much stronger, cleaner, and my breath definitely feels fresher (especially in the morning!)

Daily oil pulling with organic coconut oil along with consuming a healthy diet, getting plenty of exercise and sleep will help your body stay sharp and ready to defend the onslaught of toxins you face each day.

And you might just blow your dentists mind the next time you see him!

Not only is coconut oil a great oral health and detox tool, its other benefits will amaze you...

http://www.thealternativedaily.com/alerts/coconutoilsecret/special.php?subid=paleo68
Very interesting. I'll try both, the waterpik and coconut oil pulling method.

Hi there,

For what it is worth, here is a tip from a india-healer i ran into.
"
Halitosis
(Bad Breath)
Usually, bad breath is related to poor oral hygiene or food digestion.
Some illnesses have distinct odors.
Bad breath related to poor oral hygiene is caused by release of sulphur compounds by bacteria in the mouth.
A fruity odor to the breath occurs as the body attempts to get rid of excess acetone through the breathing.
This is a sign of ketoacidosis, which may occur in diabetes. It is a potentially life-­‐threatening condition.
Breath that smells like feces can occur with prolonged vomiting, especially when there is a bowel obstruction.
The breath may have an ammonia-­‐like odor
(also described as urine-­‐like or "fishy") in people with chronic kidney failure.
Bad breath caused by bacteria in the stomach can be treated with oranges.
Food particles can be caught in the ridges of stomach, decaying and sending up gasses that give you bad breath.The pith, the thin white film around the orange,
(not the rind itself) is the best thing to scrub the stomach lining to clean it.
Eat an orange every day for few days or weeks and it completely cleans out the stomach."

don't know how Oranges will work together with diet though!

Approaching Infinity said:
Laura said:
I was just reading in the Coconut Keto Diet book that if you are on a ketogenic diet and you have bad breath, it means you are detoxing massively.

She also recommends grapefruit seed extract for dealing with the halitosis. (A few drops in water can make a mouthwash solution to swish and gargle.)

Also Mikel, in the spirit of adding more data, in Maria Emmerich's book "Keto-Adapted"

People who have been keto-adapted for longer than a few months do not have this issue, so why does it only happen in the beginning stages of a low-carb diet? I have a theory on this. When you go on a well formulated low-carb diet, you lose a ton of weight, and it isn't muscle loss like many low-fat diets cause. You are losing fat. You store toxins in your fat cells. So as you lose fat, you are releasing toxins into your circulating bloodstream

{snip}

The toxins, I believe, are creating a short-term issue of bad breath. After a certain amount of time, toxins will no longer be an issue because your cells will be so clean and healthy.

{snip}

You can also speed up the process the release of toxins by sweating in saunas or by doing hot yoga.

She goes on to state that bad breath can also be linked to vitamin C deficiency when starting out. Which can be remedied by supplementation (preferably 500mg) a few times a day or by adding parsley to your meals.

Hope this helps a bit.

trendsetter37 said:
Approaching Infinity said:
Laura said:
I was just reading in the Coconut Keto Diet book that if you are on a ketogenic diet and you have bad breath, it means you are detoxing massively.

She also recommends grapefruit seed extract for dealing with the halitosis. (A few drops in water can make a mouthwash solution to swish and gargle.)

Also Mikel, in the spirit of adding more data, in Maria Emmerich's book "Keto-Adapted"

People who have been keto-adapted for longer than a few months do not have this issue, so why does it only happen in the beginning stages of a low-carb diet? I have a theory on this. When you go on a well formulated low-carb diet, you lose a ton of weight, and it isn't muscle loss like many low-fat diets cause. You are losing fat. You store toxins in your fat cells. So as you lose fat, you are releasing toxins into your circulating bloodstream

{snip}

The toxins, I believe, are creating a short-term issue of bad breath. After a certain amount of time, toxins will no longer be an issue because your cells will be so clean and healthy.

{snip}

You can also speed up the process the release of toxins by sweating in saunas or by doing hot yoga.

She goes on to state that bad breath can also be linked to vitamin C deficiency when starting out. Which can be remedied by supplementation (preferably 500mg) a few times a day or by adding parsley to your meals.

Hope this helps a bit.

something i have been meaning to ask in the forum regarding sweating out toxins and the fir sauna is would the sun itself be really good for this? In the summer i like to lay out in the sun which i have always thought detoxes due to the sweat and also the disenfectant prooerties of the sun. I have experimented for example if my armpits were particularily nasty i would expose them to the sun for 20 or 30 minutes and this always left them smelling fresh and clean. In the winter i enjoy baths as hot as i could possibly stand it and always felt the excessive sweating was good for derixing.

Well, here goes my 2cts worth of advice.

I just had one of my molars pulled after (literally) years of going back and forth to the dentist and the dental surgeon. I had a recurring infection and they earned quite a penny trying to fix it (removing the infection, root canal, topping off one of the roots, removing a split root). Finally it was discovered that the molar was split like a cross all the way through and when he pulled it, puss was coming out of the top of the molar. He asked me: “Can you smell it?” Ugh.

They could only detect the split after opening up the infection and digging to the roots. The dental surgeon told me, that the split could not(!) be detected on the x-ray.

To make a long story short. This explained my bout with bad breath. I could not understand, since I am (virtually) ketogenic and am always keen on keeping my mouth and teeth clean.

I tried everything: oil pulling, special concoctions of homemade tooth-paste, baking soda. It could not combat an ongoing infection, which lay very deep.

So, in my experience, a cause might be a no detectable infection (bacteria) in your mouth. Another cause might be digestion. Most common cause (besides eating the wrong diet) is a lack of proper acidity of your stomach acid (with most people it is not acid enough). This can be remedied with the intake of a teaspoon of apple vinegar.

Hope this helps.

Snow said:

I just had one of my molars pulled after (literally) years of going back and forth to the dentist and the dental surgeon. I had a recurring infection and they earned quite a penny trying to fix it (removing the infection, root canal, topping off one of the roots, removing a split root). Finally it was discovered that the molar was split like a cross all the way through and when he pulled it, puss was coming out of the top of the molar. He asked me: “Can you smell it?” Ugh.

They could only detect the split after opening up the infection and digging to the roots. The dental surgeon told me, that the split could not(!) be detected on the x-ray.

To make a long story short. This explained my bout with bad breath. I could not understand, since I am (virtually) ketogenic and am always keen on keeping my mouth and teeth clean.

I tried everything: oil pulling, special concoctions of homemade tooth-paste, baking soda. It could not combat an ongoing infection, which lay very deep.

So, in my experience, a cause might be a no detectable infection (bacteria) in your mouth. Another cause might be digestion. Most common cause (besides eating the wrong diet) is a lack of proper acidity of your stomach acid (with most people it is not acid enough). This can be remedied with the intake of a teaspoon of apple vinegar.

Hope this helps.

If you are increasing your stomach acid with vinegar i think you also need to supplement with pwpsin to digest protein. Especially if on a keto diet.

davey72 said:
Snow said:

Hope this helps.

If you are increasing your stomach acid with vinegar i think you also need to supplement with pwpsin to digest protein. Especially if on a keto diet.

Normally, that would be an option. But I am talking about low stomach acid, not high stomach acid ;)
With apple vinegar, you lower it slightly to bring it more in line with where it should be. Ofcourse, in the long run one should take a look at one's diet/lifestyle for a permanent solution.

Back
Top Bottom