Healing the Spirits of Trauma

Thank you, Psyche. We just ordered the book, it sounds very interesting indeed.

The internal psychic process, often extended throughout generations by the inheritance of patterns of trauma formed, perhaps long, long ago, when one of your ancestors went through an unbearable hurt.

"Human genes are much more flexible than we think. They perceive as much as they act. When a hurt reaches
the level of genes, it makes them behave differently and distort the memory, preventing the memory from becoming complete. The gap in memory is created, and a spirit of trauma houses itself in this gap, hidden from our awareness. ...

They learn to hide them from themselves and their children. They play hide-and-seek with spirits of trauma, and guess what? Most often they lose, because even when they don't remember, their genes—those unfailing memory units—do, and the hurt stays there until you heal it. ...

"The same mechanism works with smaller things. We start to gather up more personal hurts in the basket of our memory soon after coming into this world.

Every creature tries to survive. It is true for the spirits of trauma as well. They need to 'eat.' They are always hungry. They create 'food' for themselves by generating more hurt. Why does the 'Paradox exist, that victims of abuse become the worst abusers themselves? It is not logical, but it is perfectly reasonable for the spirits of trauma to grow in abuse victims through their hurts and feed themselves by re-creating those hurts. You may know this from your own experiences.

"How many of you did something in your life that you regret, that you knew wasn't the best thing to do, but still you chose to do it, bringing upon yourself unwanted cir¬cumstances? I bet you know the feeling. 'I don't have any idea why I did it.' I hear this often, and you probably do too from people you are working with. You don't have any idea because the impulse was initiated and supported by the spirit of trauma. You are not aware of it, so you follow it blindly and you end up hurting again and again. ...

The justifiable next question would be, 'so what?' "People adjust, they find their own means to cope, so why bother with looking deeper into it? Right?" Some of the heads in the audience nodded in agree-ment.

"Wrong! Wrong questions. There are three main points I or why it is vitally important for everyone to win in their battle with the spirits of trauma. First, because when you conquer them, it brings profound healing, reverses unhap-piness, and treats disease. Diseases are the means by which (in organism tries to fight the traumas on its own. So many Times, I've seen people get sick and look for help at very particular points in their life, moments when the spirit of trauma becomes activated in a person with incomplete psychic memory. That is why many healing changes fol¬low when you are able to eradicate the root of trauma.

"Second, we believe in our tradition that whatever we do directly touches generations before and after us. When you free yourself from trauma, you heal your ancestors and protect generations after you.

Gurdjieff said something along the same lines: that we can heal our past as well, while working in the present. So it's not far from what we've been already working on here. Though it's good to hear it from a different perspective also.

Though i don't yet understand completely how our family's traumas are embedded in our own DNA, i somehow always knew that they do. At least i felt it psychologically all my life, so i don't doubt there is a biological connection there as well. I remember very early in life, asking my parents and relatives to tell me stories of their lives. It was interesting to hear the different descriptions of the same event coming from each aunt and uncle, btw! But each story, it told me more about the characters involved, it helped me understand them and their choices today. It was like a puzzle, piecing together the bigger picture of where we come from, who we are, and what i inherit. It now sounds like a good idea to write all these stories down.

In a way, reading the excerpts of this book, it reminds me of the topic of soul crashing as well. If we hold on to our illusions, our pain, suffering and fears, that's when we allow our souls to perish, since we don't nurture it, but feed what kills it.

On the subject of consciously changing our perception in the moment, to see a situation "from afar" and with new eyes, minus the fears and conditioning, it reminded of this article i read yesterday on SOTT:

Consulting with your Wisest Self

Thanks very much for sharing this. It has provoked a great deal of thinking and contemplating. Among other things, these 2 bits stuck with me-

As soon as one realizes that it is the experience of death one is facing, one has time to perform the ultimate sacrifice and free oneself completely from all fears. He needs to surrender everything in himself, everything from his former life, every single memory which would be oth¬erwise indescribably dear to him at this crucial moment—surrender it to his real self, to the divine essence which has existed in his heart always and which is now ready to accept this ultimate offering.

Which gives a jolt to the process of self-investigation and observation, knowing this time will come and wanting to prepare for it now- keeping this in mind with every single thing I do. This describes the actual value and practical necessity of remembering Death is looking over one's shoulder at all times.

But how many people know their souls during their lives? How many of them are able to identify their souls?

Which makes me consider again how much I identify as my self is personality, programs, body, mind, thought. Identifying and setting all that aside, what remains?

There is much else. It is very similar to Fourth Way concepts stated from a different perspective. I had a strong inner response to this material and am still investigating why. Thanks again.

Thanks for posting this Psyche.

It kind of reminds me of Don Juan's story but told in a different way - it had the same taste to it as if they were somehow connected together. In this case, I suppose michael would be playing the role of don juan and Olga the part of castanedo.

Certain parts of what I read touched me in a sort of personal way, through a sort of personal experience.

"It's simple. Because it would lead you away from the patterns of fixation. Fixation is a mechanism by which the psyche holds its separateness, and it is the mechanism that memory demons use to preserve themselves inside different memory compartments. When your energy flows, when your body is flexible, when you can jump over abysses easily, then your psyche functions differently and your memory lets go of all hidden and separated spaces easily—to become whole with the rest of your psyche. Plus, it's just fun to jump over wells."

The way, was during the december holidays I had a series of dreams which involved jumping over abysses. In the dreams, I was being chased by something and I always knew that I had to jump over or rather into an abyss. The other interesting aspect of these experiences, was the lack of fear involved in jumping, I made it my goal to get there (which is kind of weird considering in real life, you dont make it your goal to jump into an abyss for fear of death due to gravity) and jump and the anxiety I experienced was that I wouldnt get there to jump before whatever it was chasing me catches me. Maybe it was somekind of healing process? However, in this case, michael is referring to jumping over an abyss in real life and not in a dream.

Maybe what michael is saying here about dreams aiding in healing is true. Don Juan's angle was different in that dreams are a gateway to different worlds as real as ours.

Also I got the impression eventhough he didnt express it directly that, maybe what shamans used to do, is battle the spirits of trauma. It seems like somekind of art.

To me, some of what michael was saying makes perfect sense, eventhough I cant change it to a direct personal experience for most of it.

Enlightening read.

"What you are about to do, shamans would call walk¬ing the soul of the dead. You can call it transpersonal transformation or whatever name makes you less anxious. The process is still going to be the same. The process of transformation will only happen in the reality where internal and external spaces are the same, where there are no longer any mental boundaries separating them. It is not exactly a dream state. It is a particular state which you can enter when your dream space and your memory space are open and clear and you can move through them easily. It will be up to your memory to choose what images to create to generate the healing. Your memory images will be carriers of transformation, but the effect of the changes will extend beyond your personal memory.

From this, I get the impression, that the work of battling the predator's mind or false personality is to remove the mental boundaries so we can reach this place of transformation. Maybe the false personality is purely a construct of this memory demons as is described here. So in that sense, somehow, they are propagated through lines ontop of us picking them up in our own experiences and we come to identify them as us. OSIT. They act as a sort of distortion in us creating boundaries in us, keeping us fragmented. It must be something, to take the cumulative measure of all the distortions created by this demons within us and call it 'I' and defend it aswell. Quite something indeed.

This was quite interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

As a final note, maybe this mechanism of how we feed this memory demons or spirits of trauma is how we feed 4D STS?

Thanks for this, Psyche:

I've been haunted by fears all my life. Fear causes us to do things that cause more fear. An endless spiral that sucks our energy.
Feelings of helplessness and weakness.

I'm going through some turmoil in my life right now. It has revealed that I fear the Unknown. In facing this crisis I am dealing with unknown outcomes to my attempted solutions. I realize how much I hold on to routines for their imagined security. Holding on to routines and mechanical actions just feeds the fear demons draining my life energies.

Much to think about.

Mac

Thank you, Psyche, for sharing this. So much to contemplate. Really interesting. And I also agree that it has many similarities with things Castaneda and Gurdjieff have talked about.

Thanks Psyche, that's some soul smashing reading material :)

I do find dealing with own fear/ hurt as a priority programs to deal with on personal scale at least, because without resolving it further, progress becomes unproductive if not impossible at all IMHO. It's a very the same thing that gives folks illusion of being, by going through motions of hurt, thus - the enemy.

Hurt happens to people, it is very unfortunate... hurt is also imminent for understanding. With a time, it is no longer necessary, one does not need a hurt to be able to act on results learned from hurt. Because one can act upon transformed understandings.

I mean, look at a feeling of hurt, it sucks, it sucks, it sucks...all that it does it sucks... all that it can from the person, until the person left dry on the ground to eventually get some strength back, only to be in the same position again - as a food for own hurt. So naturally the question is what the hell one is feeding ? Obviously a thing that makes one impaired and dysfunctional. Does it make any sense to keep doing that ? To act against self ? To feed something that drains you ? And all for what ?

Why are people so strongly cling to the feeling of hurt (besides fake sense of own being) ? Could it be because neuron pathways associated with hurt received a stronger signal/charge that had a more deeper burn-in effect on neuron pathways ? So it requires more effort and WILL not to take these pathways, and eventually overwrite with healthy ones ? I don't know...
(ps. I am not a neuro-scientist or educated enough, so chances I have no clue what I am talking about are rather high.)

agni said:
Why are people so strongly cling to the feeling of hurt (besides fake sense of own being) ? Could it be because neuron pathways associated with hurt received a stronger signal/charge that had a more deeper burn-in effect on neuron pathways ? So it requires more effort and WILL not to take these pathways, and eventually overwrite with healthy ones ? I don't know...
(ps. I am not a neuro-scientist or educated enough, so chances I have no clue what I am talking about are rather high.)

The concepts that I posted were the ones that really left a big impression on me. But there is also Olga's stories, mostly about very wounded women that complement the book. I was unable to post those since it will be pretty much the rest of the book.

Other than that, "neurocognitively speaking", I did noticed that shifting your focus to the back of your head (cerebellum) and to the front of your head (prefrontal cortex), helps to "silence" the inner talking (or automatic negative thoughts) while you're doing or perceiving something. It reminded me of the tips used to see the bigger picture for when you are stuck in a black and white thinking. Jay Carter from the Nasty series books says that you can imagine yourself in your situation, seeing yourself from above, from outer-space (if that helps), or imagine you are your best friend giving you advice. Those were his tips to use more the prefrontal cortex, the "bigger picture center". The way Michael described this process was very familiar in this sense. We also talked in the EE thread at some point about focusing in the third eye while doing the prayer. The way I understood it was the way Michael described it, pretty much at the level of your eyes, slightly above.

Then, the theme of spirits really struck a chord in my psyche. Some parts of the book reminded me stuff we've discussed here or the sessions, almost literally. The passages of knowing the names of the spirits reminded me the concept of the faces of God described in the Wave and so forth.

Among the setbacks is that there is no mention of psychopathy, even though Michael stresses the importance of the deceiving nature of Spirits in your dreams. But it gets to the point of explaining all traces of psychopathy as childhood trauma.

Also, Olga's transformational state is induced by a herb. Even though Michael stresses the point that it is not a drug, it pretty much reminded me of a drug. Although the process of relaxation described reminded me of EE and zoning out or the emotional release that some had gone through EE. All in all, pretty interesting.

There is also some esoteric history and symbolism described, the swastika for example, which they use as a protective symbol. Very detailed names and places is not my forte, so I can't comment. But some historical parts were also in sync to what we've discussed here. The Golden Time, Goddesses and so forth.

Thank you, Psyche, for sharing this. It was very interesting and helpful. :flowers:

psyche said:
Other than that, "neurocognitively speaking", I did noticed that shifting your focus to the back of your head (cerebellum) and to the front of your head (prefrontal cortex), helps to "silence" the inner talking (or automatic negative thoughts) while you're doing or perceiving something

Jay Carter from the Nasty series books says that you can imagine yourself in your situation, seeing yourself from above, from outer-space (if that helps), or imagine you are your best friend giving you advice. Those were his tips to use more the prefrontal cortex, the "bigger picture center".

Strange, when self observing, I always found that my focus was at the back of the head or from externally above, like you mentioned. Whenever I try to shift my focus to the prefrontal cortex, it seems , for me at least, to make it harder to self remember.

Maybe for some people it is different? Or I'm not really doing it properly.

Paragon said:
psyche said:
Other than that, "neurocognitively speaking", I did noticed that shifting your focus to the back of your head (cerebellum) and to the front of your head (prefrontal cortex), helps to "silence" the inner talking (or automatic negative thoughts) while you're doing or perceiving something

Jay Carter from the Nasty series books says that you can imagine yourself in your situation, seeing yourself from above, from outer-space (if that helps), or imagine you are your best friend giving you advice. Those were his tips to use more the prefrontal cortex, the "bigger picture center".

Strange, when self observing, I always found that my focus was at the back of the head or from externally above, like you mentioned. Whenever I try to shift my focus to the prefrontal cortex, it seems , for me at least, to make it harder to self remember.

Maybe for some people it is different? Or I'm not really doing it properly.

This is interesting. One of Orage's aphorisms (most likely influenced by Gurdjieff) was that vision should be "experienced" in the back of the head. I take this to mean, on one level, that we should be aware that what we "see" is actually a visual representation that is formed in the visual cortex. It's not "out there" but "in here". Then there's the connection between verbal thinking and the left brain, and visual thinking and the right brain. Perhaps by focusing on the back of the brain, we are somehow activating some 'right-brain' functioning? This would take us out of our left-brain 'personality' to some extent. This relates to Psyche's comment about silencing inner talking. Inner talking, after all, is total 'personality' - formatory apparatus, verbal (i.e. relative) thinking. Also, in your case Paragon, it may be worth considering the possibility that by making the effort to focus on the back of the head, you're actually USING your frontal cortex to do so.

Just like the breathing in EE supposedly entrains the brain hemispheres, perhaps this is a similar self-hypnotic technique to entrain brain function? Also interesting that the "focusing on the third eye" is very similar to one of the hypnotic techniques first developed by James Braid in his work on hypnotic induction...

Psyche, thanks for this thread. I read it all when you first posted and dug into most of my neuroscience papers looking for evidence to back up the information, or to disprove it. I'm happy to say all the trauma and other info I have backs it all up thus far.

Here is some info I hope others will find helpful in piecing together the dynamics and mechanics of trauma and how it might be Worked with:

Unable to neutralize affects with adaptive action, traumatized people tend to experience their affects as somatic states: either through their smooth, or striated musculature. Thus, people with PTSD tend to somatize (Saxe et al, 1994, ) or to discharge their emotions with actions that are irrelevant to the stimulus that precipitated the emotion: with aggressive actions against self or others (van der Kolk et al ,1991). When the disorganizing intrusions can be understood as failures of integration of traumatic experiences into the totality of one's life, the psychotherapist is in a position to recognize seemingly overwhelming affective experiences as actual reliving of past terror.

Deconditioning of traumatic memories and responses involves [...controlled exposure to (a) the stimulus components (environmental cues), (b) the response components (e.g. motoric actions, heart pounding), and the meaning elements (e.g. cues regarding morality and guilt) of the traumatic memory...].

This [deconditioning] consists of: (a) controlled activation of the traumatic memories, and (b) corrections of faulty traumatic beliefs. The critical issue is to introduce the capacity to flexibly remember the trauma.

...in order to overcome the intrusive, sensorimotor elements of the trauma, a person must transform the traumatic (non-verbal) memory into a personal narrative, in which the trauma is experienced as a historical event that is part of a person's autobiography.

This entails being able to tell the story of the shocking event without reexperiencing it.

It is generally assumed that once all relevant elements of the total traumatic experience have been identified and thoroughly and deeply examined and experienced in the therapy, successful synthesis will take place. The work by Resick & Schnicke (1992) supports the notion that exposure of all elements of the trauma, and their associated shifts in perception of self and others does lead to successful resolution of trauma-related symptomatology.

Excerpted from:
Approaches to the Treatment of PTSD; Bessel A. van der Kolk, M.D., Onno van der Hart, Ph.D., Jennifer Burbridge, M.A. [Originally appeared in S. Hobfoll & M. de Vries (Eds.), Extreme stress and communities: Impact and intervention]
_http://www.trauma-pages.com/a/vanderk.php

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Animals with a history of trauma also have much more intense catecholamine responses to stress85 and a blunted cortisol response.25

Stress causes a return to earlier behavior patterns throughout the animal kingdom. In experiments in mice, Mitchell and colleagues98,99 found that arousal state determines how an animal will react to stimuli. In a state of low arousal, animals tend to be curious and seek novelty. During high arousal, they are frightened, avoid novelty, and perseverate in familiar behavior regardless of the outcome. Under ordinary circumstances, an animal will choose the most pleasant of two alternatives. When hyperaroused, it will seek the familiar, regardless of the intrinsic rewards.99 Thus shocked animals returned to the box in which they were originally shocked, in preference to less familiar locations not associated with punishment. Punished animals actually increased their exposure to shock as the trials continued.98 Mitchell concluded that this perseveration is nonassociative, that is, if uncoupled from the usual rewards systems, animals seek optimal levels of arousal,10,122 and this mediates patterns of alternation and perseveration.

Because novel stimuli cause arousal, an animal in a state of high arousal will avoid even mildly novel stimuli even if it would reduce exposure to pain.

[...]

Compulsive repetition of the trauma usually is an unconscious process that, although it may provide a temporary sense of mastery or even pleasure, ultimately perpetuates chronic feelings of helplessness and a subjective sense of being bad and out of control. Gaining control over one's current life, rather than repeating trauma in action, mood, or somatic states, is the goal of treatment.

...verbalizing the contextual elements of the trauma is the essence of treatment of acute post-traumatic stress...
Once the traumatic experiences have been located in time and place, a person can start making distinctions between current life stresses and past trauma and decrease the impact of the trauma on present experience.137
Psychotropic medicines may be of help to decrease autonomic hypearousal and decrease all or none responses. Lithium, beta blockers, and serotonin reuptake blockers such as flouxetine, may be particularly helpful. By decreasing hyperarousal, one decreases the likelihood that current stress will be experienced as a recurrence of past trauma. This facilitates finding solutions appropriate to the current stress rather than the past.139 The use of medications that affect the opioid system should be regarded as experimental and at this time needs to be avoided except in life-threatening cases.

[...]

ADDICTION TO TRAUMA

Some traumatized people remain preoccupied with the trauma at the expense of other life experiences137,141 and continue to re-create it in some form for themselves or for others. War veterans may enlist as mercenaries,128 victims of incest may become prostitutes,47,120,125 and victims of childhood physical abuse seemingly provoke subsequent abuse in foster families53 or become self-mutilators143a Still others identify with the aggressor and do to others what was done to them.21,39 Clinically, these people are observed to have a vague sense of apprehension, emptiness, boredom, and anxiety when not involved in activities reminiscent of the trauma. There is no evidence to support Freud's idea that repetition eventually leads to mastery and resolution. In fact, reliving the trauma repeatedly in psychotherapy may serve to re-enforce the preoccupation and fixation.

[...]

Seeking Stress to Relieve Stress

This controlled study supports numerous other clinical reports about the relationship between childhood abuse and self-destructive behavior.52,106,118 In these people, self-mutilation is a common response to abandonment; it is accompanied by both analgesia and an altered state of consciousness, and it provides relief and return to normality.

The pain, cutting, and burning are apparent attempts at "repairing the cohesiveness of the self in the face of overwhelming anxiety."35 This pattern is reminiscent of spouse abuse described by Walker:145 "tension gradually builds, an explosive battering (self-mutilating) incident occurs, and a 'calm, loving respite' follows."

[...]

Victimized people may neutralize their hyperarousal by a variety of addictive behaviors, including compulsive re-exposure to victimization of self and others.

Addiction to Background Stress:

The "opponent process theory of acquired motivation" explains how fear may become a pleasurable sensation and that "the laws of social attachment may be identical to those of drug addiction." Victims can become addicted to their victimizers; social contact may activate endogenous opioid systems, alleviating separation distress and strengthening social bonds. High levels of social stress activate opioid systems as well. Vietnam veterans with PTSD show opiod-mediated reduction in pain perception after re-exposure to a traumatic stimulus. Thus re-exposure to stress can have the same effect as taking exogenous opioids, providing a similar relief from stress.

...victims may need high levels of support and care for soothing:

Childhood abuse and neglect enhance long-term hyperarousal and decreased modulation of strong affect states. Abused children may require much higher external stimulation to affect the endogenous opioid system for soothing than when the biologic concomitants of comfort are easily activated by conditioned responses based on good early caregiving experiences.

Excerpted from:
Bessel A. van der Kolk, MD The Compulsion to Repeat the Trauma Re-enactment, Revictimization, and Masochism Psychiatric Clinics of North America, Volume 12, Number 2, Pages 389-411, June 1989
_http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/vanderkolk/

-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

For anyone interested in more research on trauma and its related issues, here's at least 22 more papers on Trauma and PTSD:
_http://canttell.net/research.html

When 'Michael' said this:

Psyche said:
Move your attention, not to the back of your head as you did with walking the cable, but closer to your face. The level of your eyes is where your perception is centered, and if you try to focus your attention on that level and do not allow it to jump back inside your head, you may experience pure perception, and you won't get lost in the spaces of your memories. Try it."

I recognized what appears to be the technique for 'mode switching' the Pre Frontal Cortex. IOW, Michael seems to be giving a technique for practicing this consciously. Similar to what I have called the inductive, or context-based awareness, where you see something in terms of the context in which it exists and any evaluation is done by inference, based on its context. This is contrasted with seeing something, Not in terms of part of an external context, but in terms of knowledge you already have. IOW, any evaluation is done by deduction based on previous knowledge and experience.

The net result of the two modes is either: 1) you learn something new or 2) you "set it and forget it" (categorize it and dismiss it).

More on the two modes of the PFC in case it's helpful:

Recent neuroscience has shown that a region of the brain called the prefrontal cortex (PFC) shifts between two extremes of "hardware configuration", which are suitable for doing different kinds of things. One mode has been known about for ages. In it, the PFC has a low level of background excitation and localized areas of high excitation. This is good for tasks involving focused attention, and in older papers it is described as having a good "signal to noise ratio". (An interesting aspect of focused attention is that when we are using it, we can always say what the next step is, before we perform it).

The other mode is a more recent discovery, perhaps because the tasks that it is good for are harder to test using controlled laboratory experiments. In this mode, the PFC has a medium level of excitation all over, and the tasks it is good for involve "cognitive flexibility" and working memory. An example I've used before: subjects are given three words which can all be the second half of compound words, and the subjects have to guess the common first half of the compound words. So given "shoe", "flake" and "man", the subject might guess "snow".

People are much better at doing this when fMRI machines show that their PFCs are in the second mode. Notice that with this kind of task there is no "working out" involved. We can’t state any steps before we perform them - the word "snow" either pops into the subjects’ minds or it doesn’t.

What’s interesting about this is how the brain shifts from one mode to the other. It’s stress that does it. When we (or other animals) become stressed, we release the chemicals norepinephrine and dopamine, and these chemicals bias the cells in the PFC towards the focused attention mode. This makes sense, especially from an evolutionary perspective. The animal is wandering around on the lookout for food or predators, but as soon as it sees a predator it needs to focus in on it, see what it is doing and avoid distraction.

So this mode switching would obviously be useful - perhaps a bit like zooming in on something of interest. In normal situations, this state would be more like a narrow-perspective 'tunnel vision-like' mind set. And when you throw in the "stress addiction" concept from the trauma neuroscience papers, it becomes easier to see how people might just get 'fixed' in this state, losing access to the second mode and all the properties/characteristics that go with it...including one's sense of humor, which can aid stress reduction efforts.

The full explanation and fMRI images can be accessed here:
Functional organization of the prefrontal cortex in humans at the Institut des Sciences Cognitives:
_http://www.isc.cnrs.fr/dre/uk/Research_1.htm

Noradrenergic Suppression of Synaptic Transmission May Influence Cortical Signal-to-Noise Ratio:
_http://jn.physiology.org/content/77/6/3326.full

As it seems we are entering a troubled epoch, more people will have trauma and these will multiply like an infection if they are not cleaned as fast as it should.

That is fascinating and there are a couple of things that stand out for me:

[...]

Animals with a history of trauma also have much more intense catecholamine responses to stress85 and a blunted cortisol response.25

Stress causes a return to earlier behavior patterns throughout the animal kingdom. In experiments in mice, Mitchell and colleagues98,99 found that arousal state determines how an animal will react to stimuli. In a state of low arousal, animals tend to be curious and seek novelty. During high arousal, they are frightened, avoid novelty, and perseverate in familiar behavior regardless of the outcome. Under ordinary circumstances, an animal will choose the most pleasant of two alternatives. When hyperaroused, it will seek the familiar, regardless of the intrinsic rewards.99 Thus shocked animals returned to the box in which they were originally shocked, in preference to less familiar locations not associated with punishment. Punished animals actually increased their exposure to shock as the trials continued.98 Mitchell concluded that this perseveration is nonassociative, that is, if uncoupled from the usual rewards systems, animals seek optimal levels of arousal,10,122 and this mediates patterns of alternation and perseveration.

Because novel stimuli cause arousal, an animal in a state of high arousal will avoid even mildly novel stimuli even if it would reduce exposure to pain.

[...]

This controlled study supports numerous other clinical reports about the relationship between childhood abuse and self-destructive behavior.52,106,118 In these people, self-mutilation is a common response to abandonment; it is accompanied by both analgesia and an altered state of consciousness, and it provides relief and return to normality.

The pain, cutting, and burning are apparent attempts at "repairing the cohesiveness of the self in the face of overwhelming anxiety."35 This pattern is reminiscent of spouse abuse described by Walker:145 "tension gradually builds, an explosive battering (self-mutilating) incident occurs, and a 'calm, loving respite' follows."

I used to lament myself for not been more curious during my childhood and for not seeking out healthier interactions, but in retrospect, it could had not been otherwise. I was in a "self-preservation" mode. Also the self-mutilation thing. I would pick at my skin with my nails so I always kept my nails extremely short to avoid severe damage and bleeding. Yeah, it is pretty sick, but I used to find it extremely self-calming and relieving. Deciding to stop it just by sheer force of will doesn't work, just by getting to the emotional root of the problem does it. Olga also shares a story of self-mutilation in the book, done by a very wounded woman. The way it is described in the story, is pretty much the way it is described above, only that in a narrative/personal way.

I don't know if the book happened as it was told, or if Olga added elements derived from her clinical experience and/or research into healing methods of Ancient Cultures, but it is surely interesting.

My previous post was long enough, but I wanted to mention that I seem to have noticed several apparent correlations between ideas as expressed in those book excerpts and stuff we're already familiar with. Like how this:

What matters is the process. The internal psychic process, often extended throughout generations by the inheritance of patterns of trauma formed, perhaps long, long ago, when one of your ancestors went through an unbearable hurt.

...we believe in our tradition that whatever we do directly touches generations before and after us. When you free yourself from trauma, you heal your ancestors and protect generations after you.

...could be consistent with all the concepts of 'wholeness' that I'm familiar with, from the C's talk about 'time' and the ever-present Now, to Rupert Sheldrake's Morphic Resonance fields and some Native American views on interconnectedness. One might glimpse the Native American view from a saying I'll paraphrase:

"We don't inherit the land from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. It is our responsibility to turn it over to them in a better state than we found it."

To which I might add: ...and that goes for everything other than the land, too! :)

--------------------------

Concerning story telling...

...Michael said, "I want you to know that there is a tremendous power in storytelling, Olga. Sometimes people can get healed from deepest hurt just through telling the story about it. You just did it and it will help you to move forward.

...several places on the forum offer examples of how journaling can be helpful to the Work. Also covered in some places is the idea of the autobiography for the same purposes as well as help for the Recapitulation. Also, remember how Mark Hedsel's "life Work" wasn't complete until a "scribe" found him so that the story of The Zelator could be told. And let's not forget about THE WAVE, itself!

So, all in all, I'm in full agreement with the story-telling idea for the very reason Michael points out.

If, as Laura says, SRT is more straightforward, I suspect it would be a more efficient way to start the process though. Then, Michael's techniques could be used as adjuncts or alternatives if there is no luck with spirit contact. At any rate, the book seems to make the process of understanding and working with trauma memories much easier than formulating one's own plan from the combination of personal experience and the neuroscience.

I also like:

Depression results from hurtful action and it develops because of our imaginary or real actions or inactions that we believe were wrong.
"But one of the main feelings I have now, Michael, is feeling irritated with you and being quite anxious because of all this." I was trying to be honest with him.

"And it is exactly right," he responded. You feel anxious and irritated now because I am influencing your perception to bring to it something you try to forget. My questions lead to healing. The real thing is your sadness and guilt."

This tells me that whenever trauma memories are in re-stimulation, no matter what a person thinks is going on, there's always a tiny thread sticking out that can be pulled on to potentially unravel the real difficulty. That thread presence is indicated by a feeling of guilt for an action or inaction (toward someone). Since this is all being held inside, the thread can be named "the withheld thing." That is to say: something you're not telling someone, or something you won't talk about.

---------------------------

Finally, the aspect of self-harm:

Psyche said:
I used to lament myself for not been more curious during my childhood and for not seeking out healthier interactions, but in retrospect, it could had not been otherwise. I was in a "self-preservation" mode. Also the self-mutilation thing. I would pick at my skin with my nails so I always kept my nails extremely short to avoid severe damage and bleeding. Yeah, it is pretty sick, but I used to find it extremely self-calming and relieving.

No, I don't think it's sick. A former girlfriend introduced me to the reality of being a "cutter" and dropped the names of some well-known actors/actresses who also had the condition. Whether the paradox of causing oneself pain to relieve pain registers on the person or not, it is just a testimony to how powerful is the pull to seek relief from unresolved depression, anxiety and pain. And to how powerful is the inhibition system that it seeks to protect the individual from the 'pain' of withdrawing from any 'addiction'.

In closing, I am really glad you posted these excerpts, Psyche. I'm going to order the book so I can read "the rest of the story." This all goes quite well with my goals of helping people understand the neurochemistry of their own cognition as well as helping them to heal their emotional pain. I feel like this kind of healing is what I was born to do - to help people deal with, or end their pain - to heal. I 'remembered' this after a certain amount of my own emotional processing had taken place.

---------------
Edit: spelling

Back
Top Bottom