Help! What to do with an injured mouse?

Really glad to hear how things turned out. I find such topics important to discuss.

Our relationship with other life forms, their rights, our moral (if not spiritual) responsibilities, our logical and emotional responses and the psychology behind them, all come into play and I find it extremely difficult to know, not on the right course of action, but also the righteous course of action.

Only though a network like this could such complex issue be effectively examined. I am grateful you chose to inquire on the forum to seek input on this. It certainly has benefited me.

Gonzo

HowToBe said:
I've enjoyed reading the discussion, and I've learned a few things along the way. :rockon:

Me too! I thought the mouse's little heart would collapse with fear and turned out it survived. I would have acted differently, and would maybe still act the same (although who knows) but learned a lot from your experience and from other's thoughts and opinions as well.

And I'm really glad we can discuss like civilized people, you don't find that often :)

I have learned a lot from reading this topic too, and I am glad to hear that the mouse is doing well. My cats, however (the kitty committee, below, in session) are adamant: ALL MICE MUST DIE!

kitty_committee.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WzjquZ7M-Y

The cowboy mouse ( El raton vaquero) of mexican composer: Francisco Gabilondo Soler (cri cri) 6 october 1907- 14 december 1990.

Guardian said:
Kewl! Now hopefully he will tell all his friends about his experience, and they'll stay out of your house! ;D
Haha! Fingers crossed. ;D

Gonzo said:
Only though a network like this could such complex issue be effectively examined. I am grateful you chose to inquire on the forum to seek input on this.
Yes, I was surprised to see that it sparked such interesting discussion. Lots of interesting points made. It was interesting for us to learn about the cultural and physical differences concerning cats outside the USA.

@Megan: Beautiful cats! In that picture the one on left looks really sly while the other one looks wide-eyed and innocent. :D

:) I'm curious why you took this as something serious?... I mean... things in nature like this happen every day, you may ask what we may do with all the flies a spider traps.

gurjf said:
I'd try just leaving the poor little guy been eaten by the cat, as part of their natural
progression, see?.
Sorry if it sounds harsh but, this remind me what the C’s told:
I think being honest is not be weak as some say, sometimes is hardest than lie. Just my thought about it, because sometimes you need to say sorry or no offense, I don't want to be harsh, but is like the truth, it hurts.

Megan said:
I have learned a lot from reading this topic too, and I am glad to hear that the mouse is doing well. My cats, however (the kitty committee, below, in session) are adamant: ALL MICE MUST DIE!

kitty_committee.jpg

OMG I'm in love with your cats!!! :) sooo cutee!!!

HowToBe said:
@Megan: Beautiful cats! In that picture the one on left looks really sly while the other one looks wide-eyed and innocent. :D

Looks can be deceiving. Which below is the 8 pound cat and which is the 12 pound cat? Hint: this picture shows how big they each think they are. There was supposed to be a "mouse" in the picture, in keeping with the topic, but it seems to be hiding under the furniture somewhere where I can't find it. But there's a pewter butterfly. (It didn't really come through in the picture.)

whos_bigger.jpg

Guardian said:
I understand what yawl are saying, and I agree in principle, but our domestic cats are NOT wild animals, and eating a wild mouse can KILL a house cat....especially here in the US. Here, mice carry some terrible diseases, including HPS....which is exactly why I wouldn't handle the mouse, just leave it alone in the box.

So if I'm not going to let my cat eat wild mice, what to do with an injured one I've taken from a cat is a VERY good question, and one that's come up at our house more than once. It's a living creature, and if I do not NEED to kill it, I won't. If it's a threat, yes, I'll kill it...likewise if it's suffering with no chance of recovery...but preserving what life I can, when I can, even a little tiny life, is very important to me.

I hear what Laura (and my roommate) say about mice being "pests" and I understand the need to kill them IF they invade our living space and won't leave....but personally, I prefer mouse proofing our food so they will go live in the woods where they belong.

That mouse and I have one thing in common, we both want to live. If we can both do that, without endangering each other, kewl.

I would have to fully agree with this, Gaurdian, and add-- AWW-- poor little mouse. :(

Prometeo said:
:) I'm curious why you took this as something serious?... I mean... things in nature like this happen every day, you may ask what we may do with all the flies a spider traps.
My initial concern was for the safety of my cat. That was the reason I took the mouse away. After that, we had the mouse, the mouse was not dead, and we had the means to care for it, so we did, because we valued its life. The spiders are not my responsibility; they do not require my help to live and be fed. I would not intervene if I saw a wildcat catch a mouse or rabbit, because it would be the same dynamic as with the spider and flies. That is nature. The situation with my cat was different, however. Or so I think. ;) I started this thread because I wasn't sure what was the most considerate action to take, and the discussion has been very interesting! I am currently satisfied with the end result.

HowToBe said:
Prometeo said:
My initial concern was for the safety of my cat. That was the reason I took the mouse away. After that, we had the mouse, the mouse was not dead, and we had the means to care for it, so we did, because we valued its life. The spiders are not my responsibility; they do not require my help to live and be fed. I would not intervene if I saw a wildcat catch a mouse or rabbit, because it would be the same dynamic as with the spider and flies. That is nature. The situation with my cat was different, however. Or so I think. ;) I started this thread because I wasn't sure what was the most considerate action to take, and the discussion has been very interesting! I am currently satisfied with the end result.
I just thought about the big bumble bee i saved from a cat the other day. I understand about letting nature take it's course, but how can it be wrong to intervene for a creature that cannot defend itself, if you are in the position to do so?

HowToBe said:
Prometeo said:

Mmmm and what's the difference for your cat's situation?

Also I think there's no real difference between a wildcat and a domestic cat, those two have their hunter instinct equally, animals inside or out of a house.

Initially I was irritated that so much time and energy was spent on a cat
and mouse story.
But after reflection I realised that the real question is: How to live with Nature?
The anthropocentric reflex reaction which has become normal is: kill it.
We all can daily see where this has led us!
Pesticides anybody?
Cats catch mice. That's a fact if you like it or not.
For most of my life I had cats. They always show you their kill.
When I hear: OH, the poor mouse! I understand that you are projecting.
The entire pet issue appalls me. Consider the money spent!
More then the yearly budget of many small nations!
The original purpose of domesticating animals was to serve as transportation.
(horses) and to help in the hunt.(dogs) and the keep mice from grananries.(cats)
imho to keep animals as pets is a perversion.
But that is just my opinion.

Leo40 said:
Initially I was irritated that so much time and energy was spent on a cat
and mouse story.

Leo, it appears that you spend most of your time irritated by one thing or another. Judging from your posts on this forum, you spend most of your life expecting others to live up to your illusory expectations, rather than seeing and appreciating people for who they actually are. It truly is almost wholly self-referencing and the sign of someone who has a dead or deeply sleeping emotional center. It also must be a really negative way to live. If you weren't so certain about your own thoughts and reactions, then you would benefit enormously be questioning everything that crosses your mind, as if it is not from you, but I'm not yet certain that you are even vaguely interested in doing such a thing.

leo said:
imho to keep animals as pets is a perversion.
But that is just my opinion.

Again - an indication of a sleeping or dead emotional center. Are you practicing EE?

Prometeo said:
HowToBe said:
Prometeo said:

Mmmm and what's the difference for your cat's situation?

Also I think there's no real difference between a wildcat and a domestic cat, those two have their hunter instinct equally, animals inside or out of a house.
The dangers of disease and poisoning, as mentioned earlier in this thread. To a very much lesser degree, we were also protecting our carpet, as we are renting our current residence. Also, as I understand it, the discussion so far seems to disagree with your opinion about wild vs. domestic cats. Quotes below:

Guardian said:
I understand what yawl are saying, and I agree in principle, but our domestic cats are NOT wild animals, and eating a wild mouse can KILL a house cat....especially here in the US. Here, mice carry some terrible diseases, including HPS....which is exactly why I wouldn't handle the mouse, just leave it alone in the box.

HowToBe said:
As far as the comments about letting nature be, I understand, and under different circumstances I might do so. However, my concerns were along the lines of what Guardian wrote. I wasn't aware of the sickness danger, but it makes sense to me that a house cat might not have good enough immunity (lack of wilderness exposure and all that) to handle a potential disease. My primary concern was based on something I read a while back, that rats and mice - especially in residential areas - can have rodent killer in their system, which can poison pets that eat them. Cats are at greater risk because of their typically smaller body mass. Rodents can eat poison in one house, then move to another house where they get eaten by a pet, because the poisons are slow-acting and may take a day or two to kill them. This may be a remote possibility, but I'm wary of chancing it.

Guardian said:
stellar said:
As I see it, the mouse would already have been out of his misery if you had not intervened. As for the cat 'catching' something from eating a possibly diseased mouse, well.., cats do what they do and maybe that would have been something to let nature control as it does so naturally. It may not be something we 'like' but it is what it is ; nature.

I have to disagree again, for the sake of DOMESTIC cats everywhere ;)
Cats are NOT wild animals, even feral ones, and they are not equipped to deal with the parasites and other diseases carried by mice in the US....the cat's lucky if it ONLY gets worms. I have one friend who's cat was blinded by a disease he got from eating mice. My own beloved cat died when she pounced on a black widow spider and bit it.

Wild animals know what other species can represent a threat to them...domesticated animals do not. We have made ourselves responsible for the animals we've domesticated, and that includes protecting them from threats they do not understand, like disease.

Back
Top Bottom