Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

Good job. I thought that we didn't have to add the - thing to BC anymore since BC/AD is displayed. And I was sure it was BC... well, whatever.

Yes, that Battle of Actium is a big curiosity. Something happened there that has not come down to us very clearly.

Send me a PM if you want to have research access to the book Cometography.

Since I squeezed everything out of GoT possible, I decided to go back to Paul the Deacon today and get that wrapped up. However, I read a footnote that referenced Procopius where it was mentioned that something Procopius wrote was not mentioned by Paul. So, I wanted to got to the original text and ended up reading most of the day and comparing. What began to amaze me was all the warring and back and forthing etc, and barely a mention of the stuff that was recorded by Malalas et al. That started to bother me because Procopius is generally pretty reliable. So, I got out the "Siege Warfare - 400-800 AD" and started reading the synopses of the battles, year by year. When I got to Totila, allegedly elected king of the Goths in 541 - right in that crucial period - I started getting deja vu. It's like all the same battles and comings and goings of the previous 5 or 6 years re-spun and doubled.

So, I dug around a bit about Totila. Okay, fine - there's a story based mainly on Procopius. See Wikipedia for the basic version.

Then I decided to see if Totila struck any coins... here's what I found:

{Totila} So he is always called by Procopius, but on the coins of his reign, both silver and copper, his name is invariably Baduila, which is also found in the Hist. Miscella, B. xvi. p107. Jordanes (Rom. 380) uses both names. The reason of the double designation has not been cleared up. Totila issued at first coins with the head of Justinian, but this recognition of the Emperor was soon abandoned, and the bust of Anastasius was substituted. Finally, in his last years, he issued silver and bronze coins with his own bust (imitated from that of Anastasius), A.D. 549 552. The regal mint was at Ticinum, but coins were afterwards struck at Rome. See Wroth, Coins of the Vandals, etc., xxxvii xxxviii.

In other words, there actually aren't any coins from Totila UNTIL 549-552.

That suggests to me that he wasn't actually "King of the Goths" and recapturing Rome and all that stuff that is written about him at all. That was the big cover-up right there. From 539 until 549, there was nothing but death and destruction and then some Goth named Baduila rose up out of the ruins and tried to sort things out only to be overwhelmed by the coming of the Lombards. And all that alleged participation of Belisarius and Narses was just made up by a redactor moving some of Procopius' text around, changing some names and a few details, and creating a history that never existed.

So, I'm thinking about these little clues.

We have the last Chinese comet recorded in 539, and then a gap until 560 - 21 years.

I suspect that we have the description of the event though it has been assigned by modern historians to 588, 589, or 590. I assigned it to 585 to match it to Gregory of Tour's observation and record. He observed it in October, Paul the Deacon apparently had a source that dated it to the Calends of November, i.e. October 17th. We then pick up that the great pestilence came in the January following the destruction of Italy (and probably most of Gaul, not to mention England - but we aren't even there yet). Both chronicles show evidence of tampering.

So, let's assume that it was that last comet seen in 539 that brought disaster... over the following couple of years. Then let's assume that the date that Gregory and Paul have preserved, at least in month and day, are correct (the two match even if Paul probably didn't know that). So that would date our disaster on October 17, 541 and the beginning of the plague in Italy beginning in January 542.

Since there is silence from the Chinese for so long, we can assume they were hit as well. But 21 years later, they are back in their observatories, thoroughly chastised by the gods.

We need to look carefully at that period of 48 years from 541 until 589/590. Were years added or just simply a bunch of stories made up or blown up or spun to cover a period that actually passed? Did they mess up the time since Halley is listed as appearing in 607 when, calculated retroactively, it should have been 619? Was the appearance of Halley's in 543 (calculated retroactively) involved in the disaster? Should we move the "event" forward a year?

Also, I'm very suspicious of that Antioch business...

Laura said:
We need to look carefully at that period of 48 years from 541 until 589/590. Were years added or just simply a bunch of stories made up or blown up or spun to cover a period that actually passed? Did they mess up the time since Halley is listed as appearing in 607 when, calculated retroactively, it should have been 619? Was the appearance of Halley's in 543 (calculated retroactively) involved in the disaster? Should we move the "event" forward a year?

I thought about this some more last night. That difference between when Halley's was recorded and when it ought to have been seen by matching the Chinese records to the "created timeline", i.e. 530 - 607 means that this is the period when things were "meddled" with.

We've got the gap in the Eastern chronicles - filled by Gregory - and the gap in the Chinese records... and the problem that Gregory didn't talk about the events that supposedly happened two years before his birth (the 536 dust veil event of Cassiodorus and Procopius).

Gregory does have an event recorded that could be a redacted version of the dust-veil event and it is placed in the year 559 - 23 years after the assigned date of the dust veil event (536) which was then followed by a comet three years later (539):

Before the great plague which ravaged Auvergne prodigies terrified the people of that region in the same way. On a number of occasions three or four great shining lights appeared round the sun, and these the country folk also called suns. ‘Look!’ they shouted. ‘There are now three or four suns in the sky! {Ice in the upper atmosphere}

Once, on the first day of October, the sun was in eclipse, so that less than a quarter of it continued to shine, and the rest was so dark and discoloured that you would have said that it was made of sackcloth. Then a star, which some call a comet, appeared over the region for a whole year, with a tail like a sword, and the whole sky seemed to burn and many other portents were seen. {The comet with a tail like a sword reminds us of Procopius' report of the "swordfish" comet that he said appeared in the 13th year of Justinian's reign. Notice how the expression "for a whole year" follows and we know that comets don't appear for "a whole year". That could have been inserted.}

{More about the "darkness" all about.}

In one of the churches of Clermont-Ferrand, while early-morning matins were being celebrated on some feast-day or other, a bird called a crested lark flew in, spread its wings over all the lamps which were shining and put them out so quickly that you would have thought that someone had seized hold of them all at once and dropped them into a pool of water. It then flew into the sacristy, under the curtain, and tried to extinguish the candle there, but the vergers managed to catch it and they killed it. In the same way another bird put out the lamps lighted in Saint Andrew’s church.

{And then, followed by the plague:}

When the plague finally began to rage, so many people were killed off throughout the whole region and the dead bodies were so numerous that it was not even possible to count them. There was such a shortage of coffins and tombstones that ten or more bodies were buried in the same grave. In Saint Peter’s church alone on a single Sunday three hundred dead bodies were counted. Death came very quickly. An open sore like a snake’s bite appeared in the groin or the armpit, and the man who had it soon died of its poison, breathing his last on the second or third day. The virulence of the poison made the victim unconscious.

What seems to me is that somebody has taken chronicles of this disaster that destroyed the Roman Empire with something like 80 to 90 percent mortality (as we saw from the maps earlier in this thread), reworked them, written into them re-spun and amplified history and moved them forward or backward as it suited. In the case of Gregory, he was moved forward out of his own time and probably actually was born earlier than the period assigned to him (along with all the people he talked about).

Why Halley's Comet May Be Linked to Famine 1,500 Years Ago
_http://www.livescience.com/42048-halleys-comet-linked-to-ancient-famine.html

By Mike Wall, Senior Writer, December 18, 2013

The ancients had ample reason to view comets as harbingers of doom, it would appear.

A piece of the famous Halley's comet likely slammed into Earth in A.D. 536, blasting so much dust into the atmosphere that the planet cooled considerably, a new study suggests. This dramatic climate shift is linked to drought and famine around the world, which may have made humanity more susceptible to "Justinian's plague" in A.D. 541-542 — the first recorded emergence of the Black Death in Europe.

The new results come from an analysis of Greenland ice that was laid down between A.D. 533 and 540. The ice cores record large amounts of atmospheric dust during this seven-year period, not all of it originating on Earth.

"I have all this extraterrestrial stuff in my ice core," study leader Dallas Abbott, of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, told LiveScience here last week at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union.

Certain characteristics, such as high levels of tin, identify a comet as the origin of the alien dust, Abbott said. And the stuff was deposited during the Northern Hemisphere spring, suggesting that it came from the Eta Aquarid meteor shower — material shed by Halley's comet that Earth plows through every April-May.

The Eta Aquarid dust may be responsible for a period of mild cooling in 533, Abbott said, but it alone cannot explain the global dimming event of 536-537, during which the planet may have cooled by as much as 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit (3 degrees Celsius). For that, something more dramatic is required.

Ice core data record evidence of a volcanic eruption in 536, but it almost certainly wasn't big enough to change the climate so dramatically, Abbott said.

"There was, I think, a small volcanic effect," she said. "But I think the major thing is that something hit the ocean."

She and her colleagues have found circumstantial evidence of such an impact. The Greenland ice cores contain fossils of tiny tropical marine organisms — specifically, certain species of diatoms and silicoflagellates.

An extraterrestrial impact in the tropical ocean likely blasted these little low-latitude organisms all the way to chilly Greenland, researchers said. And Abbott believes the object responsible was once a piece of Halley's comet.

Halley zooms by Earth once every 76 years or so. It appeared in Earth's skies in A.D. 530 and was astonishingly bright at the time, Abbott said. (In fact, observations of Halley's comet go way back, with research suggesting the ancient Greeks saw the comet streaking across their skies in 466 B.C.)

"Of the two brightest apparitions of Comet Halley, one of them is in 530," Abbott said. "Comets are normally these dirty snowballs, but when they're breaking up or they're shedding lots of debris, then that outer layer of dark stuff goes away, and so the comet looks brighter."

It's unclear where exactly the putative comet chunk hit Earth or how big it was, she added. However, a 2004 study estimated that a comet fragment just 2,000 feet (600 meters) wide could have caused the 536-537 cooling event if it exploded in the atmosphere and its constituent dust were spread evenly around the globe.

I've been thinking about it some more, examining the comets, messing around with re-dating each apparition of Halley's and then correcting for each period from one Halley to another, and it's really strange. It's like a few years get added each period, but then in a couple of periods, a few years are dropped so by the time you get to 1 AD, there's only 22 years difference at that point. So it does not "accumulate" as AI pointed out, but I had to work through it year by year to "get it". When we get to our period of concern, there's only 13 years difference.

In any event, doing this ends up with the Chinese comet of 520 being actually dated to 536 which fits with Baillie's tree-ring thing. I notice that we only have shijing's entry for that one and Kronk's is much more interesting. I would prefer to replace all of the comet entries with the text from Kronk, if possible. Anyway, it says:

520 - Chinese texts report a "broom star" visible in this year which was to have been as bright as a flame and which was seen in the east. There is, however, a contradiction in the date. The Wei shu (572) says the comet was seen on 520 October 7, while the Sui shu (636) says the comet appeared on October 1. The comet was probably in the morning sky.

The Italian text Anonymous Valesianus (527) reports an object seen during 519 or 520. It is described as a "fearful star" and as "a star like a little torch." The object remained visible for 15 days and sxhibited a tail pointing westward.

Several Byzantine texts mention this comet. John Malalas' Chronicle (565) says, while discussing the beginning of the reign of emperor Justin I, "At the beginning of his reign there arose in the East a tremendous star, named a comet which sent out a beam pointing downwards. People called it Bearded and they were afraid." Malals said the emperor's reign began in 518. The Byzantine text Chronicon Paschale (628) says that in 519 "there rose on the far side in the east a fearsome star, called a comet, which had a beam issuing downwards; some called it bearded; and men were afraid." An almost identical statement place in the same year also appears in the Byzantine text Chronographia (813). {Obviously, Chronicon Paschale and Chronographia were copying from Malalas.}

This was probably the comet involved in the dust veil event which preceded the "END EVENT" by a number of years and could have involved fragments exploding in the atmosphere and/or volcanic eruptions. As it happens, there is another comet listed in 501 that probably belonged to 517, that would fit the comet seen at the beginning of the reign of Justin I.

The point is, I think, that some few years have been added to the chronology here and there, but what is mainly going on is the mis-dating of cosmic events and this is due to the adding of a few years here and there in the chronology by the ancient redactors who were trying to do a cover-up for religious reasons but did not feel entirely comfortable with deleting "God's actions" from the chronicles altogether. The cumulative copying errors and deliberate falsifications of historical events for "religious reasons" all add up, however.

501 - The Chinese text Nan shih (670) gives details of a couple of celestial objects detected early in 501. First, a "long tailed star" was seen on February 13. It is described as stretching across the heavens. A few pages later, it is noted that a "broom star" was seen on April 14 which also stretched across the heavens. J. Williams (1871) first suggested the two objects might be the same comet. Ho Peng Yoke (1962) listed the two objects separately, but also suggested they could be the same comet.

The Wen hsien t'ung k'ao (1308) is the only other text to mention this object. The February object, however, is referred to as a 'comet-like banner" and is said to have occurred on a 'jen-hsu day' in the second month of 501, which was not possible in that year.

The above sounds much more like what Malalas was describing for the beginning of the reign of Justin I which, based on my corrected comet dating, would have been 517, close enough to what Malalas said: 518 and also "at the beginning of his reign" which would have been early in the year (see the paper I attached some posts back about ancient regnal year dating.)

So, if this is the case, we have a comet directly associated with 536 (using comet dating to correct), and then there comes Halley in 543, erroneously dated by historical methods to 530.

Now, we have the issue of the item reported by Greg Bryant in his article: The Dark Ages: Were They Darker Than We Imagined?: Universe, September 1999 issue. He writes:

Chinese historical records of AD 540 say : "Dragons fought in the pond of the K'uh o. They went westward....In the places they passed, all the trees were broken. "

If we add our 13 years for that period between Halley appearances (which is the difference between historical dating and retrocalculation), we arrive at 553 for the Chinese dragon event. That matches darn close with the date that was the last event recorded by the Chinese for 21 years: the comet of "539" with the corrected comet-dating: 552.

539 - C/539 W1 Closest to earth, 26 November 539

The Byzantine historian Procopius of Caesarea wrote "History of the Wars" around the mid-6th century. He said that in the 13th year of the reign of the emperor Justinian I "the comet appeared, at first about as long as a tall man, but later much larger. And the end of it was toward the west and its beginning toward the east, and it followed behind the sun itself. For the sun was in Capricorn and it was in Sagittarius. And some called it 'the swordfish' because it was of goodly length and very sharp at the point, and others called it 'the bearded star'; it was seen for more than forty days."

The Chinese texts Wei shu (572) and Sui shu (636) are the oldest Chinese texts to report this comet. They say a "broom star" was seen on 539 November 17. The comet appeared in Nan-Tou {Sagittarii}. The date and location indicate an evening observation, implying a UT of November 17.4. The comet was over 1' long and pointed toward the southeast. The Chinese texts add that its length gradually increased to over 10' and that it disappeared after it reached Lou {Arietis}. Unfortunately, there seems to be some confusion as to in which month this final observation was actually made. The texts give the day as "i-mao", but are ambiguous as to the month. Some researchers have assumed it was the 11th month which results in a date of December 1, while others have said it was the 1st month of the following year, which indicates a date of January 30. Finally, the Wei shu gives one more piece of information by noting the comet passed by Venus at a distance of about 3' around the end of November. Interestingly, this last observation has not always been included in the investigations of astronomers.

A.G. Pingre (1783) said the Venus passage occurred on 540 January 1, and that the comet was last seen on January 30. J.K. Burckhardt (1800) said the final observation occurred on December 1, and computed an orbit with a perihelion date of 539 October 21.1. J. Williams (1871) and Ho Peng Yoke (1962) also derived a final date of December 1 from the Chinese texts, but neither acknowledged the passage by Venus. I Hasegawa (1979) went back to the January 30 interpretation and computed an orbit with a perihelion date of 539 November 6. This orbit allows the comet to pass close to Venus on November 24. Finally, D. K. Yeomans (1991) said the comet was last seen on December 1.

Combining the accounts of Procopius and the Chinese would seem to solve the problem. As the comet was apparently rushing out of evening twilight when first seen by the Chinese on November 17, it is probably safe to assume the comet appeared in Europe around the same time. Procopius said the comet was seen for more than 40 days, and if 40 days is added to November 17, the resulting date is December 27. This information indicates that the January 30 date of the Chinese makes more sense than the date of December 1. The Chinese were careful observers, and it seems almost nothing got past them. Because of their astrological beliefs, once the Chinese saw a comet they tried to follow it until itw was no longer visible to the naked eye. The Europeans, on the other hand, usually only noticed comets that were exceptional, and seemed to stop observing them when they were no longer an impressive sight. If Procopius reported that this comet was visible more than 40 days, and if this is taken as an accurate statement, then it is doubtful the Chinese would have ceased to see the comet on December 1.

Unfortunately, as reasonable as the above argument might seem, it is not perfect. Hasegawa's orbit is given {in the book} and he accepted the final observation as January 30. If it is assumed that the comet was observed until it was too faint to be seen, the Author has estimated the absolute magnitude as 0.5. Assuming no abnormal changes in brightness, the comet should have been a naked-eye object during September and could have remained visible even in twiight until late October. It would then have been in the morning sky moving from Leo into Virgo. So the question arises, why was the comet not seen then?

Another account exists, but it provides no additional information to help solve the question above. The text Chronica Andraea Danduli (1280) says a comet was seen in Gaul. ...

So, if we have all that business going on in 552, then that means that THE EVENT must have been 553 and may have been related to this comet and its debris trail into which the Earth might have passed the following October. That is, 17 October 553, that the Chinese recorded as:

Dragons fought in the pond of the K'uh o. They went westward....In the places they passed, all the trees were broken.

And then, soon after, the pestilence struck and the Chinese went silent.

But the Dragons traveling westward began to break up in the sky and bombard Gaul, Italy, etc., a Shoemaker-Levy type event. And very shortly after that, pestilence beginning with cholera and finally "The Plague of Justinian" arriving from the East.

More thinking:

Obviously, with the problems I've discovered going carefully through the texts and noting what shows up adjacent to what else in the database, and figuring out what connects to what else, and then how the comet dating might help, it seems that trying to graph the events AS DATED BY THE CHRONICLERS, might lead nowhere. Since the redactors have obviously moved some events far away from their real time of occurrence, more or less ad hoc and arbitrarily, and other dating anomalies have crept in due to copying errors over time, there's no way that the data would show an accurate, mappable graphic representation to match to ice cores or tree rings by sliding it up and down to find the "best fit." I'm a bit nonplussed as to what to do with this realization.

Now, last night I was continuing with my bedtime reading: Amos Nur's book. He concentrates mostly on the end of the Bronze age, but what he was talking about in the section I was reading last night was how faults "unzip" and can do so in a massive way over a period of 10 to 50 years. This can happen because of cumulative build up of pressure over hundreds of years which then "pops" at some point and starts the "unzipping", or, IMO, it could also be triggered by a comet impact or plasma event. He's got some great images and graphs and maps in there that bring the whole thing home in terms of the earthquake aspect which does not exclude comets, climate change, volcanoes, etc - and that is reciprocal: earthquakes and volcanoes can very definitely be triggered by comet activity it seems.

It seems that this is partly what we are looking at here: a series of events over a period of about 50 years. I'm thinking that if Gregory of Tours actually observed and wrote about the environmental events that he did, then he must be placed as living much earlier. His "History of the Franks" that is so much spin obviously was written at a later time and then redacted still again the same way the History of the Lombards was done by Paul the Deacon.

And, of course, Procopius was redacted and an "extended" history of Goths was added in by simply taking details here and there from other battles, re-combining them, and filling in the time with stuff that really didn't happen because people were just barely surviving. It is quite likely that the Persians, being less damaged by the events of the time, and the Arabs, took advantage of the weakness of the Empire to run amok. As Nur writes:

Two scenarios for the prehistoric effects of earthquakes are likely and these have been repeated throughout recorded history. The first involves a society under military, political, or environmental stress, as was true of the Jews during the Third Temple movement in the fourth century AD. Other examples... include Spartan society in the fifth century BC, the Portuguese religious establishment in the eighteenth century AD, and Venezuelan revolutionaries in the nineteenth century. In each case, an earthquake or series of earthquakes further destabilized an already ailing society, arguably hastening its collapse. The impact of an earthquake in such times of stress can have very complex results that forever change societies.

The second scenario involve apparently more robust societies, such as the one governed by Herod the Great in the first century BC or the inhabitants of Jericho in the time of Joshua. In Herod's case, an earthquake directly precipitated an attack by the Arabs in what is now Jordan, as the attackers expected that Herod's armies would be vulnerable and demoralized in the earthquake's aftermath. The biblical story of Jericho may be a reflection and reworking or exactly this scenario but with the roles of aggressor and attacked reversed. The aggressors ultimately failed in Herod's case, but they were the victors in the case of Joshua. The point is that the earthquake occurred first, making the attack seem more advisable.

That's the point: the whole "Barbarians did it" deal is only a part of the story of the End of the Roman Empire. The Lombards "invaded" Rome mainly because Italy was decimated by natural disasters. The Franks took over Gaul mainly because it was almost emptied of inhabitants. What few enclaves of people remained probably engaged in small skirmishes with the invaders and different Frankish tribes probably had limited engagements with Gothic tribes; the Huns probably saw this as an opportunity to move in, but found the Franks and Goths already staking their claims. The Eastern Empire was so weakened that all they could do was hole up in their triple fortified city of Constantinople and dream that they were still an empire. And running like a scarlet thread through it all is the activity of the Christian fanatics who also saw this as an opportunity to "attack". And since they were the "elite" of the old empire, had the literary skills to begin to alter history in their own favor, and some Franks soon cottoned onto that, it seemed a match made in heaven.

Okay, I've thought about it some more. I think it is still a good idea to get all the events loaded from the various sources, each with their own entry, so we can extract them graphically both together and separately. That will help to tell us what the redactors have done; it may actually reveal their patterns, how they went about their task.

Then, we need all the comet data entries and as much archaeology as we can get, again, as separate entries with keyword and entry number connections.

What I'm going to do as we go along, as things become clear, is create a separate database to the side that will be an attempt to sort it all out by correcting dates, etc. If the entries are in the main database, it will be a lot easier for me to transfer the ones wanted/needed. And then we'll get some graphs to make comparisons.

Laura said:
In any event, doing this ends up with the Chinese comet of 520 being actually dated to 536 which fits with Baillie's tree-ring thing. I notice that we only have shijing's entry for that one and Kronk's is much more interesting. I would prefer to replace all of the comet entries with the text from Kronk, if possible.

Data sent me the copy of Kronk yesterday, so I'll start adding that in as soon as I'm able. Just to clarify, do you prefer that I delete the information that's already there from Yeomans and Archaeoastronomy, or is it OK to just add Kronk's info to the existing entries (at the top of the Quote field)? The latter would be easier, but if you want the original entries taken out I can do that.

Also, I was able to check these out from the library last week:

The chronography of George Synkellos : a Byzantine chronicle of universal history from the creation

The Chronicle of Adam Usk 1377-1421

Two of the Saxon chronicles parallel : with supplementary extracts from the others (volumes 1 & 2)

The Chronicle of John of Worcester (volumes 2 & 3)

The Chronicle of Battle Abbey

The Chronicle of Hydatius and the Consularia Constantinopolitana

Are there any (or all) of them that you would still like to get scanned copies of (I think you've already got The Chronicle of Hydatius)?

Shijing said:
Laura said:
In any event, doing this ends up with the Chinese comet of 520 being actually dated to 536 which fits with Baillie's tree-ring thing. I notice that we only have shijing's entry for that one and Kronk's is much more interesting. I would prefer to replace all of the comet entries with the text from Kronk, if possible.

Data sent me the copy of Kronk yesterday, so I'll start adding that in as soon as I'm able. Just to clarify, do you prefer that I delete the information that's already there from Yeomans and Archaeoastronomy, or is it OK to just add Kronk's info to the existing entries (at the top of the Quote field)? The latter would be easier, but if you want the original entries taken out I can do that.

Just add the text from Kronk in the quote field with source page below the Yeoman's etc entries. But from here on out, just take from Kronk for new ones since it seems to include stuff that neither of the other two do and I don't find the Archaeoastronomy text satisfactory.

Shijing said:
Also, I was able to check these out from the library last week:

The chronography of George Synkellos : a Byzantine chronicle of universal history from the creation

Two of the Saxon chronicles parallel : with supplementary extracts from the others (volumes 1 & 2)

The Chronicle of John of Worcester (volumes 2 & 3)

The Chronicle of Battle Abbey

The Chronicle of Hydatius and the Consularia Constantinopolitana

Are there any (or all) of them that you would still like to get scanned copies of (I think you've already got The Chronicle of Hydatius)?

Yes, I seem to have Hydatius. Thanks!

Laura said:
Just add the text from Kronk in the quote field with source page below the Yeoman's etc entries. But from here on out, just take from Kronk for new ones since it seems to include stuff that neither of the other two do and I don't find the Archaeoastronomy text satisfactory.

OK, I'll start in on it as soon as I'm able.

Laura said:
Yes, I seem to have Hydatius. Thanks!

Sure -- I'm going to put Adam of Usk and Battle Abbey on the top of the stack since they're shorter. George Synkellos and John of Worcester are quite a bit thicker, so they'll take more time. I also just realized that Two of the Saxon chronicles parallel is in Old English, so I'm not sure how much good that would do you if I scanned it.

Shijing said:
Sure -- I'm going to put Adam of Usk and Battle Abbey on the top of the stack since they're shorter. George Synkellos and John of Worcester are quite a bit thicker, so they'll take more time. I also just realized that Two of the Saxon chronicles parallel is in Old English, so I'm not sure how much good that would do you if I scanned it.

George Synkellos is more important relative to the problem at hand.

Laura said:
George Synkellos is more important relative to the problem at hand.

OK, thanks for letting me know Laura -- I'll focus on that first then.

Bear said:
The Chronography of George Synkellos
A Byzantine Chronicle of Universal History from the Creation
Translated by William Adler and Paul Tuffin

Two of the Saxon Chronicles Parallel
With supplementary extracts from the others. A revised text edited with Introduction, Notes, Appendices, and Glossary, on the basis of an edition by John Earle
Charles Plummer
With a bibliographical note by Dorothy Whitelock
2 Volumes requested

Edited with a facing-page translation by C. Given-Wilson

I just requested these for inter-library loan, so we'll see if it is in any kind of special collection and they are available. The requests went through, so we'll see.

I’ve picked up the above four books from my library. I’m dealing with some kind of stomach bug, so may have to wait until this coming week to photocopy them and then will mail them off.

Just fyi, I photocopied and mailed a copy of 'Battle Abbey' last Tuesday.

I also have the above books from the library and was planning on photocopying them this week, but if Shijing is going to scan and send them along then I figure not to duplicate the effort. Please let me know if you would still like photocopies of any of them.

Back
Top Bottom