Historical Events Database - History

Re: Historical Events Database

Shijing said:
Thanks Bear, I really appreciate you giving a hand with this (particularly Synkellos since it's a bit of a monster). I think that just leaves John of Worcester (which is pretty hefty itself), so I'll take care of that. I actually prefer copying to scanning myself, so since that's better I'll try to get that done within the next week and mail it off as soon as I've got it done. I can also have it bound at the copy shop I usually go to.
No problem. :)

I mailed copies of The Chronicle of Adam Usk 1377-1421 and The Chronography of George Synkellos this morning. Will copy and mail the other two volume set hopefully in the next few days, but didn't want up hold up getting Laura the Synkellos book since she mentioned that is the one of most interest right now.

Not sure if this link is relevant or useful, but here is Colin Barras's website: _http://colinbarras.co.uk/

Laura said:
Laura said:
The chronicle of John Malalas : a translation
by John Malalas; Elizabeth Jeffreys; et al

It seems that the PDF is missing the next to last page of the text, p. 306...

Finally got hold of this book today :) Please see attachment for p. 306:

Attachments

• The chronicle of John Malalas Page 306.pdf
    104.9 KB · Views: 20

Oxajil said:
Laura said:
Laura said:
The chronicle of John Malalas : a translation
by John Malalas; Elizabeth Jeffreys; et al

It seems that the PDF is missing the next to last page of the text, p. 306...

Finally got hold of this book today :) Please see attachment for p. 306:

Thanks a bunch! I'll get it printed and inserted tomorrow.

Meanwhile, did ya'll know that there were major disasters somewhere on the planet at the time of Caesar's assassination, including almost a year-long dust veil event?

Laura said:
Meanwhile, did ya'll know that there were major disasters somewhere on the planet at the time of Caesar's assassination, including almost a year-long dust veil event?

Didn't know that. Googled around and found it mentioned in the book A Slice Through Time: Dendrochronology and Precision Dating by M. G. L. Baillie, if you go to google books and enter in the title you can see on page 84 and 85 where it is mentioned.

Found another book, The Greatest Comets in History: Broom Stars and Celestial Scimitars
By David A.J. Seargent, that mentions it but blames the obscuring of the sun on the eruption of Mt Etna. Starts on pg 71 found on google books.

Just to let ya'll know I'm sorta out of the saddle for a couple days with a bit of venous insufficiency in one of my legs so I'm having to stay away from my desk. Getting some treatment for it so it should clear up pretty quick. I'll be checking in a few times a day, but I can't sit here for more than a few minutes at a time. So ya'll carry on and I'll continue to go through texts and mark passages to put in when I'm back in the saddle!

Laura said:
Just to let ya'll know I'm sorta out of the saddle for a couple days with a bit of venous insufficiency in one of my legs so I'm having to stay away from my desk. Getting some treatment for it so it should clear up pretty quick. I'll be checking in a few times a day, but I can't sit here for more than a few minutes at a time. So ya'll carry on and I'll continue to go through texts and mark passages to put in when I'm back in the saddle!

Take good care and speedy recovery :flowers:

Laura said:

Sorry if this is not the place for this recommendation, but you may try Aesculus hippocastanum (horse chestnut). It is very used for venous insufficiency as well as the flavonoids diosmin and hesperidin

http://www.amazon.com/DiosVein-Diosmin-Hesperidin-Swanson-Ultra/dp/B007CX2PE2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395417836&sr=8-2&keywords=diosmin

Just for the record, I'm attaching a book quoted in:

Did a megadrought force the Huns to invade Europe?
http://www.sott.net/article/273819-Did-a-megadrought-force-the-Huns-to-invade-Europe

The article 'Megadroughts, ENSO, and the Invasion of Late-Roman Europe by the Huns and Avars', appears in The Ancient Mediterranean Environment between Science and History, edited by W.V. Harris, and published by Brill. This collection of eleven essays that climate and environmental change in the Roman World and Early Middle Ages.

The science sounds questionable, but at least the tree rings point to a Central Asia megadrought in 360 AD - 550 AD (480 being especially dry).

Here is a preliminary graph of all entered events (the labels may be a bit shifted, I have to work on it more). Soon you can generate graphs yourself, filter them by various criteria and overlay them. Good job, there is indeed a spike!

Attachments

• Selection_023.jpg
    Selection_023.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 162

Data said:
Here is a preliminary graph of all entered events (the labels may be a bit shifted, I have to work on it more). Soon you can generate graphs yourself, filter them by various criteria and overlay them. Good job, there is indeed a spike!

That's great news, Data -- thanks for sharing!

Laura, I hope you're not in too much discomfort and that it clears up quickly -- take care.

Pretty cool graph, thanks for sharing Data!

Shijing said:
Laura, I hope you're not in too much discomfort and that it clears up quickly -- take care.

I second that, hope it gets better soon :flowers:

Oxajil said:
Pretty cool graph, thanks for sharing Data!

Shijing said:

I second that, hope it gets better soon :flowers:

I third that. Get better soon! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom