Honey Effective In Killing Bacteria That Cause Chronic Sinusitis

Well, finding myself in the throes of a sinusitis attack as my custody evaluation is slated for court in two weeks, I have found great relief from breathing in the steam of a combination of peppermint, eucalyptus, penny royal and rosemary essential oils that I've added to a pot of boiling water. I just boil the water, add about 10 drops of each oil, cover with a towel, and bring the pot over to the table and sit down with the towel over my head and the pot and breathe for usually 5 to 10 minutes. It does get pretty hot so little breaks are usually needed. The heat and whatever the qualities in the oil are unblock me everytime. I usally repeat this three times a day or so until better.

I am glad to learn of this honey alternative. I'm going to try it as well! Thanks to all for your input.

Hildegarda said:
I have just put it into another thread -- I have actually used this method the other year, and it works:

2) Honey "nose drops": just take some raw, unheated local honey, apply it to a small cotton ball (or make a thin long piece of cotton out of a cotton ball, so that it fits your nostril better), and stick it into your nose while laying down, for 20-30 min [twice or thrice a day]. There even was an SOTT article saying that this has been scientifically proven to work against sinus infections

pretty soon you'll feel that the honey is sorta dripping down your throat, and some congestion from your sinuses will be as well. Blowing nose afterwords brings a lot of stuff out.

another thing I did was to mix thoroughly a bit of raw propolis powder into the honey before applying it onto those cotton balls.

:wow: This is just what I need to try. :thup:

While reading one of the links supplied by Vulcan 59 I found that different honeys have different levels of antimicrobial fighting ability. Staph and strep bacteria needing the least. So I would think that the raw honey I have just might work. Heck, it's worth a try anyway. I'm hoping that I don't need the manuka honey, but if this doesn't work, then I will try to get some of that.

Here is the url for what I found on the site: _http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/honey_intro.shtml

Thanks Hildegarde

Just want to mention I priced the manuka honey in my grocery store here in the US and it is $27.00 for 16 ounces which is over 3 times the price of local honey. When talking with the herbalist he mentioned that he'd always been taught that it's best to use honey from beehives that are closest to where you live, fwiw.

I remember old nurses that I used to work with using sugar to treat chronic ulcers on legs, which worked very well. The idea behind is that sugar, being highly osmotic active in relation to living tissues, "sucks" water out of cells, thus killing them. Bacterias are affected as well. So I can very well imagine, that honey, which consists almost entirely of sugar (plus some flower products) may have the desired effect on any chronic inflammation. And maybe the other components of the honey increase this effect.

But I also agree with all the others, that's just temporary relief, or symptomatic treatment, and doesn't address the underlying cause of your problem - whatever that is.

nicklebleu said:
that's just temporary relief, or symptomatic treatment, and doesn't address the underlying cause of your problem - whatever that is.

not necessarily. There are anecdotal reports that eating your local raw honey decreases environmental allergies. Allergies are a big component to sinus problems. May be honey does go to some of the roots of the problem for some people, at least.

Hildegarda,

Hildegarda said:
nicklebleu said:
that's just temporary relief, or symptomatic treatment, and doesn't address the underlying cause of your problem - whatever that is.

not necessarily.  There are anecdotal reports that eating your local raw honey decreases environmental allergies.  Allergies are a big component to sinus problems.  May be honey does go to some of the roots of the problem for some people, at least.

Hmmh ... interesting concept. So the emphasis is on LOCAL honey; kind of the same as desensitization therapy, where you provide your immune system with the allergen, in order to "relearn" that this is no foreign substance, maybe? Could work, if your sinus problem is related to an environmental allergen ...

But regardless, I think what anart referred to as IMBALANCE, hasn't been addressed.

Black Swan said:
Just want to mention I priced the manuka honey in my grocery store here in the US and it is $27.00 for 16 ounces which is over 3 times the price of local honey. When talking with the herbalist he mentioned that he'd always been taught that it's best to use honey from beehives that are closest to where you live, fwiw.

I would expect the price to higher by a bit as this honey not only comes from far, far away :) but the antimicrobial aspects are much higher. But thanks for letting me know as I hadn't gotten that far yet.

nicklebleu said:
Hmmh ... interesting concept. So the emphasis is on LOCAL honey; kind of the same as desensitization therapy, where you provide your immune system with the allergen, in order to "relearn" that this is no foreign substance, maybe? Could work, if your sinus problem is related to an environmental allergen ...

I know that you are responding to Hildegarde here, but in my instance I supposedly am not allergic to anything. Supposedly.

nicklebleu said:
But regardless, I think what anart referred to as IMBALANCE, hasn't been addressed.

I have been addressing this problem and also I am on the inflammation diet, getting ready for the detox thing and then will be going after the candida. I really do think that these things will help dramatically.

However, if there is a biofilm involved, I think that this, too, needs to be addressed. osit.

Have anyone else tried Apple Cider vinegar, baking soda and water mix against sinus ? Works pretty good too. (3 x day)

Do the research on proportions used.

Nienna Eluch said:
I also went to an acupuncturist who after taking a look at me, said that I was very 'wet', meaning mucousie. How well I know!

I don't know much about Chinese medicine, but it would seem you would need something 'hot' to dry the 'wetness'. In terms of emotions perhaps this could be anger?

Nienna Eluch said:
While reading one of the links supplied by Vulcan 59 I found that different honeys have different levels of antimicrobial fighting ability. Staph and strep bacteria needing the least. So I would think that the raw honey I have just might work. Heck, it's worth a try anyway. I'm hoping that I don't need the manuka honey, but if this doesn't work, then I will try to get some of that.

Here is the url for what I found on the site: _http://bio.waikato.ac.nz/honey/honey_intro.shtml

I read lab studies on Manuka honey a few years ago which indicated that a 10% dilution of Manuka honey was the best ratio to kill staph. This dilution has been very effective as part of my external, topical regimen I tinkered with until I won a 3-year battle with MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphlococcus Aureus).

Another forum member noted that honey is a sugar which draws the bacteria out of the wound. It also feeds the bacteria which protects the body from being ravaged for nourishment and prevents the formation of ammonia which creates a bad odor. However, the primary healing effects comes from the mild hydrogen peroxide created by honey. It's strong enough to kill bacteria, but mild enough to avoid injuring delicate skin tissue.

(For the record, the other things that were part of this topical regimen, depending upon phase of the MRSA cycle, included hydrogen peroxide, calamine lotion, Preparation H, and dandruff shampoo with salicylic acid. I could write a book on what I've learned combating MRSA, but much probably has already been posted on here.)

Has anyone tried using pure local honey for nasal irrigation as substitute to saline solution. I've tried this at home using a big syringe it really hurts a lot but immediately I feel relieved from my chronic rhinosinusitis.

ANYONE here who has TMJ disorder, deviated septum, tinnitus? Do you experience chronic rhinosinusitis just wanna ask?

Hi policarpio,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

policarpio said:
Has anyone tried using pure local honey for nasal irrigation as substitute to saline solution. I've tried this at home using a big syringe it really hurts a lot but immediately I feel relieved from my chronic rhinosinusitis.

ANYONE here who has TMJ disorder, deviated septum, tinnitus? Do you experience chronic rhinosinusitis just wanna ask?

I've suffered from chronic sinusitis for decades, with occasional mild sinus infections. In the course of combating skin infections (MRSA), I discovered that colloidal silver is very effective and have used it daily with great success. (It's a prescription wound dressing that's water-based called Silvasorb). I also discovered that colloidal silver solutions can vary greatly in concentration and size of silver particles. Colloids For Life has the best rated solutions according to independent analysis http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/AboutParticleSize.html.

On their site, they give instructions for using the colloidal silver solution for a thorough sinus "flooding." They suggest adding a small bit of xylitol to adjust the osmotic pressure so that it won't burn when going up your nasal passages. It really works, too. The procedure is explained here: http://www.colloidsforlife.com/Sinus_Flooding_Procedure.html. Basically, you liie down on the bed, face up with head hanging off, drop solution in nose until it puddles in throat. Remain in that position for a minute, then roll over and let your head hang off the bed so the front sinuses (the ones around your eyes where the sinus pressure mounts causing sinus headaches) get flooded for 2 minutes

You're supposed to do the process twice, several times a day for a few days. I did it only once and had complete remission from my sinus infection. Now I do it regularly because it opens up my sinuses to level I've never enjoyed before, which makes the EE breathing program much more beneficial and enjoyable. I've found sinus cavities I never knew existed.

I highly recommend you check this out at Colloids for Life http://www.colloidsforlife.com/Mesosilver_colloidal_silver.html;jsessionid=0a010c481f43632ce1a30e5b41f38790c864848380bd.e3eTaxiPc3mTe34Pa38Ta38LbNb0
(Just stay away from any colloidal gold, which the C's have said can be very detrimental.)

By the way, the herb, Nettle (aka Stinging Nettle) is an excellent natural decongestant.

JGeropoulas said:
I've suffered from chronic sinusitis for decades, with occasional mild sinus infections. In the course of combating skin infections (MRSA), I discovered that colloidal silver is very effective and have used it daily with great success. (It's a prescription wound dressing that's water-based called Silvasorb). I also discovered that colloidal silver solutions can vary greatly in concentration and size of silver particles. Colloids For Life has the best rated solutions according to independent analysis http://www.silver-colloids.com/Pubs/AboutParticleSize.html.

Hi JGeropoulas,

Have you read the book "Detoxification and Healing: The Key to Optimal Health" by Sidney MacDonald Baker" if not, I encourage you to read it. (It is one of the books in the big 5 for the health and diet)

Psyche said:
Sidney MacDonald Baker covers this and many other subjects including lab testing in his book "Detoxification and Healing", which is truly one of the best health books we've ever read, highly recommended.

Hi Nienna
This post of yours came up in Google as I was searching for more info on treating chronic sinusitis with Manuka honey irrigations. I have also contacted Dr. Talal Alandejani who was is a wonderful man and wrote back with the exact dosages necessary to do the irrigations.
I have started this type of treatment about 2 weeks ago and have already seen a 35% improvement! I know yours is and older post but I'm hoping from the bottom of my heart that you will reply and that we can connect live (by phone) for a few minutes as I am at the end of my wits! I have good days and days when I'm very depressed! I've been plagued by the same exact symptoms you are describing in your posts for about year and sometimes I just feel like giving up! <crying as writing>
Would you please, please talk to me? Can you please tell me if this helped you? What has cured you in the end?
With much gratitude,
Anita

edit: mod removed personal info for privacy reasons

Back
Top Bottom