How did you find the 4th Way?

Almost 30 years ago now . . . . . .

I first discovered the consciousness-expanding music of Todd Rundgren as a 15 year old. His song 'Eastern Intrigue' made me familiar with Gurdjieff's name, so when browsing my local bookstore in a small market town and seeing several books by G and Ouspensky I felt compelled to pick one up. And then another. And another. Before long I had devoured just about 'all and everything'.

It just so happened the owner of the only bookshop in this small town was a Gurdjieff/Ouspensky devotee. It seems 'it' found me . . . .

I would go on to work my way through Krishnamurti, Zen and all manner of schools of thought/consciousness - but it was with the Fourth Way - 'A New Model of the Universe' in particular - that my journey truly began.

Hi eeiiei, and welcome to the forum! We invite all new members to make an introduction on the Newbies Board -- could you expand there on what you wrote above, and tell us a bit about yourself and how you found us? Glad you found the right bookstore at the right time :)

While I was searching many answers on the "Life on Earth" in different ways (environment, policy, economic, and others, and for many reasons I surely will explain one of these next days...), you know, as: Why are we here? What do we have to do? Is there anything than I missed in this understanding?

At this point, I realised with the Moderator's help that I knew nothing, and it is not really better today, but I work on it each day.

I discovered the 4th Way, as maybe some others around here, by reading The Antique Science, available on the Web (via a link I cannot remember) just before to discover in the following days the forum, Sott, and the Laura's books (The Wave at first, followed in the later months by Castaneda's, Gurdjieff's, Ouspensky's, and lately, Maurice Nicoll's book(s); it is a non-exhaustive list, and I do not have finished yet to read the Gurdjieff's books. I am working on it too.

In a very messy period & searching for answers restlessly at 15, my mother thought Bible teachings with Jehovah Witnesses' would do me good to find my way/myself. Everything they'd say I'd question, test or search for in depth. I was also into astrology, psychology, mythology & astronomy so they were part of my search...

After a few stops here & there, I found the Cassiopean transcripts at the old site [Biblioteka.org?.. - what was the URL for that website if anyone knows?]. Like a few others have said, I was like a fish to water. In fact I thought everyone in the Western world knew this [not native here], or should. Got some related books but the year I read ISOTM [at age 16/17] changed my life.

Something clicked. I went back to Tanzania on my own too which really helped.
I found the forum/Wave series a little later but didn't join straight away - perhaps I was fearful & now wish I had sooner. As you say MK Scarlett, I also realised that I knew nothing & postponing what I wanted to do most [i.e. networking & reading] for my own safety was useless, I had to work on it each day.

It's a never-ending journey.

Carlise said:
I was getting pretty lost at this point until I reached a point of total bankruptcy, and did a long sincere prayer asking just what the hell am I doing here
Within about 15 minutes I found the "Love, reality and time of transition" video posted on a disinfo site. Nothing ever hit me as hard.
Then came the wave, I was reeling from that for quite a while. Then I couldn't hold off interacting with the forum any longer, that was the next big shock.

I also found the forum through that same video and the 'UFOs, Aliens and the Question Of Contact' video. I was basically wasting my time with all kind of new age stuff and videos while being high. Then I found this concept of Truth, that really woke something inside me. I got to the forum and was really impressed with the way people communicated here. I started reading and probably for the first time of my life, tried to look myself more objectively (emphasis on the word try, it's really hard!). It's been now about year and half since registering and I feel that I've chosen the right path.

edit: changed word phase to emphasis.

The website I found the Cass. transcripts on was _www.bibliotecapleyades.net - think I was reading on something pertaining to astronomy at the time.

Carlise said:
I also found the forum through that same video and the 'UFOs, Aliens and the Question Of Contact' video. I was basically wasting my time with all kind of new age stuff and videos while being high. Then I found this concept of Truth, that really woke something inside me. I got to the forum and was really impressed with the way people communicated here. I started reading and probably for the first time of my life, tried to look myself more objectively (emphasis on the word try, it's really hard!). It's been now about year and half since registering and I feel that I've chosen the right path.

edit: changed word phase to emphasis.

I know this is a tad off-topic but how do you edit a post?
What you explained was the same for me - it is hard but I too feel the same.

I mentioned this briefly elsewhere, however, 4th way studying was passive at first, references here, articles there. A family member is deep into the way of the monk and so spent time studying that, its history and practices, yet it was not for me in these times and it seemed to me that by observation of many westerners who took up that way, many seemed divorced somewhat from objective reality, although not all, and many find ways to work on themselves in that way. ISotM as a hard book came to me in a used book store, whereby my son went hunting for something he would want to read and he returned with that book. I had read from it before and when it appeared at the book keepers till, well that was an interesting sign that could not be discounted. Years later, like many others, found this forum, SotT and of course Laura's books.

What a classroom this has been!

The Fourth Way mainly addresses the question of people's place in the Universe, their possibilities for inner development, and transcending the body to achieve a higher state of consciousness. It emphasized that people live their lives in a state referred to as "waking sleep", but that higher levels of consciousness and various inner abilities are possible.

ronak said:
The Fourth Way mainly addresses the question of people's place in the Universe, their possibilities for inner development, and transcending the body to achieve a higher state of consciousness. It emphasized that people live their lives in a state referred to as "waking sleep", but that higher levels of consciousness and various inner abilities are possible.

This is just a cut and paste from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Way

Bear said:
ronak said:

Good spot, 3 out of 4 of ronak's others posts are too. - The other is from that other go-to source of information: babynamewizard.com :)

Pob said:
Bear said:
ronak said:

Good spot, 3 out of 4 of ronak's others posts are too. - The other is from that other go-to source of information: babynamewizard.com :)

He/she/it won't be bothering us anymore. ;)

There were several events that led up to discovering the 4th Way. Like you, Jonathan, I had time on my hands. I wasn't working at the time after having graduated from college and then working a couple short-term jobs. I had saved some money from the first job, bought a computer and was living at my parents place. One day, I happened upon Michael Tsarion's website, and for awhile was a pretty frequent reader of his material, especially the forum that was on his website. He had several dvds of his work where he goes more in-depth on topics and I remember thinking off and on about purchasing the dvds. One day I was thinking more seriously about buying them, and I thought to Google search what other peoples views were of the dvds as they were pretty pricey. One of the links was from this forum and had to do with CoIntelPro. I read that thread discussing Mr Tsarion in the CoIntelPro section and from there I didn't see his material or the New Age material the same way. I eventually found out about Gurdjieff and the 4th Way after reading more threads on this forum. Interesting to find out all the while, my dad had an old hardcover copy of In Search of the Miraculous sitting on a bookshelf in my parents home. He brought out the copy of the book one day, maybe three or fours years later, after we were talking about what we had been reading and I mentioned Gurdjieff.

Back
Top Bottom