How Google & Facebook Censor Content & Demonetize Independent Media

And Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos and Louis Farrakhan (among others) have also been banned by FB and Instagram (owned by FB)

Apparently any positive reference to any of these 'enemies of PC culture' on those platforms will be banned and repeated mention of them will see the account banned.

Pretty crazy. Don't think it'll be long before Watson is gone from YT too.

I really wish they'd start banning everybody, and then a few people with large followings would switch to VK.

And then I'll sit back and watch the loonies foam at the mouth about how they knew all along that these Evil People were Russian agents, and the proof is that they're on VK now.

The censors' insanity is increasing so much that I'm afraid it may lead to spontaneous human combustion.

I really wish they'd start banning everybody, and then a few people with large followings would switch to VK.

And then I'll sit back and watch the loonies foam at the mouth about how they knew all along that these Evil People were Russian agents, and the proof is that they're on VK now.

The censors' insanity is increasing so much that I'm afraid it may lead to spontaneous human combustion.

Knowing those lunatics they'd ban VK in the West pretty quickly. Because Russiaaaaaaaa! If this goes on I'll develop a PTSD from feeling like a hostage in a mental asylum taken over by patients who discovered where the nurses store drugs. 😑

Last edited:
They are already doing it, in this part of the planet:
The letter against Alfredo Jalife moves 3 social networks and Google, and generates thousands of interactions (Mexico)
Yesterday, a group of writers, journalists, academics and other personalities asked President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, in a letter, not to consider Alfredo Jalife-Rahme Barrios, an expert in geopolitical analysis, in a public position for, they say, misogynist, macho, anti-Semitic and harassing. The social networks are now experiencing a mobilization for and against the analyst who was expelled from Twitter and jumped to the Russian social network Vkontakte.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

---I haven't been to VK in a long time, good reminder to go more often.

Can we discuss the less obvious effect of these additional bans?

What I mean is that I don't think the reason to do this is to silence opposing viewpoints. The effect bans will have on opposing viewpoints will be far less than one might hope. At least, that's my feeling.

When I read this news, I had a spike of anxiety. I wanted to scream, even though I don't agree with many of the viewpoints of the people who were banned. But maybe that's what this is about, further riling up and dividing the populace. There are a lot of really pissed off moderates and conservatives now.

Could this be an attempt to foster civil unrest in a "hail Mary" to ruin Trump's chances of re-election? This, just like the Smollett case did, smells fishy. What the corporations and media are reporting is not the real reason for this action.

Boycotting and divesting are what cost corporations money. And no one is boycotting or divesting from facebook because of Alex Jones or Louis Farrakhan. There are just a lot of noisy malcontents, further using the very platforms they are complaining about... to complain about it. But now that facebook is doing what they are... well, I just about went on facebook to announce leaving it. But I can't. I'm kind of stuck with it until July as it's integral to our wedding communications. But I will leave the platform. I already uninstalled it from my phone (which is more difficult than one may think since now it is considered a "system" application).

Does anyone else have an intuition about this. Or am I grasping at air in denial that censorship and authoritarianism is just how it is now, the new normal?

Does anyone else have an intuition about this. Or am I grasping at air in denial that censorship and authoritarianism is just how it is now, the new normal?

Comment: This is one step closer to realizing the totalitarian dream of the radical Left.

Added:

Also, if you missed this thread.

Translated from French by Microsoft
A terrible doubt invades me by learning this meeting between Emmanuel macron and Mark Zuckerberg, patron of a major social network, 15 days before the elections #Europeennes2019... would I be conspirist? 🤔😳😱 Mark Zuckerberg sera reçu vendredi à l'Elysée par Emmanuel Macron

Is Jim Carrey Getting Banned On Twitter By Ted Cruz Because Of James Woods?
May 07, 2019 07:15 PM
Mini Snip: 3 minute Read
"How is it that @RealJamesWoods is currently being banned on Twitter, but @JimCarrey is not? It's certainly not any standard based on "hate." Carrey's latest Twitter "art" shows Bill Barr drowning in a sea of vomit. @Jack - how 'bout we let everybody speak and the People decide?"

Jun 02 2019‘ - Unlimited Reach, No Safeguards’: Snowden Warns of Greatest Social Control Scheme in History
‘Unlimited Reach, No Safeguards’: Snowden Warns of Greatest Social Control Scheme in History

The US government has a tendency to hijack and weaponize revolutionary innovations, Edward Snowden said, noting that the natural human desire to communicate with others is now being exploited on an unprecedented scale.

“Our utopian vision for the future is never guaranteed to be realized,” Snowden told the audience in Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada, via live stream from Moscow, stressing that the US government “corrupted our knowledge... towards a military purpose”, RT reported.

"They took our nuclear capability and transformed it into the most horrible weapon that the world had ever witnessed. And we’re seeing an atomic moment of computer science... Its reach is unlimited... but its safeguards are not!" he added.

The whistleblower, who in 2013 leaked a trove of highly classified information about global spying operations by the National Security Agency, argued that, armed with modern technology and with the help of social media and tech giants, governments are becoming “all-powerful” in their ability to monitor, analyze, and influence behavior.

"It's through the use of new platforms and algorithms that are built on and around these capabilities that they are able to shift our behavior. In some cases, they are able to predict our decisions and also nudge them to different outcomes," he noted.

The natural human need for “belonging” is being exploited and users voluntarily consent to surrender virtually all of their data by signing carefully drafted user agreements that no one bothers to read.

“Everything has hundreds and hundreds of pages of legal jargon that we're not qualified to read and assess and yet they are considered binding upon us,” Snowden said.

"And now these institutions, which are both commercial and governmental... have structuralized and entrenched it to where it has become now the most effective means of social control in the history of our species," he added.

Facebook in talks with U.S. derivatives regulator over digital currency plans: FT
FILE PHOTO: Attendees walk past a Facebook logo during Facebook Inc's F8 developers conference in San Jose, California, U.S., April 30, 2019.  REUTERS/Stephen Lam/File Photo
Facebook Inc is in talks with the U.S. derivatives regulator, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), over the social media company's plans for a digital currency, the Financial Times reported on Sunday.

Twitter apologizes for blocked China accounts ahead of Tiananmen anniversary
FILE PHOTO: The Twitter logo is displayed on a screen on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, U.S., September 28, 2016. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo
Twitter Inc has apologized for suspending accounts critical of Chinese government policy days ahead of the 30th anniversary of a bloody crackdown on protesters at Beijing's Tiananmen Square, after an outcry among users.

Google made $6.4 billion from the news industry in 2018, study says
Google made $6.4 billion from the news industry in 2018, study says
Google’s chief executive Sundar Pichai speaking about Google News at a 2018 conference. A new study estimates that Google made nearly as much as the United States news industry as a whole from digital advertising on news content last year.
Google’s chief executive Sundar Pichai speaking about Google News at a 2018 conference. A new study estimates that Google made nearly as much as the United States news industry as a whole from digital advertising on news content last year.PHOTO: NYTIMES

Jun 10, 2019 - It's more than what virtually any professional sports team is worth.

And it's the amount that Google made from the work of news publishers in 20`8 via search and Google News, according to a study to be released on Monday by the News Media Alliance.

The journalists who create that content deserve a cut of that US$4.7 billion (S$6.4 billion), said Mr David Chavern, the president and chief executive of the alliance, which represents more than 2,000 newspapers across the country, including The New York Times.

"They make money off this arrangement," Mr Chavern said, "and there needs to be a better outcome for news publishers."

That US$4.7 billion is nearly as much as the US$5.1 billion brought in by the US news industry as a whole from digital advertising last year - and the News Media Alliance cautioned that its estimate for Google's income was conservative.

For one thing, it does not count the value of the personal data the company collects on consumers every time they click on an article like this one.

"The study blatantly illustrates what we all know so clearly and so painfully," said Mr Terrance C.Z. Egger, the chief executive of the Philadelphia Media Network, which publishes The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Philadelphia Daily News and philly.com.

"The current dynamics in the relationships between the platforms and our industry are devastating."

The News Media Alliance is making the study public in advance of a House subcommittee hearing on Tuesday on the inter-relationship of big tech companies and the media.

Mr Chavern said he hoped that an outcome of any conversation generated by the study would be the passage of the Journalism Competition and Preservation Act. The Bill now before lawmakers would give news publishers a four-year antitrust exemption, allowing them to collectively bargain with the owners of online platforms over revenue splitting.

The Bill has bipartisan support in the Senate and the House, including the chairman and ranking member of the House Judiciary's antitrust subcommittee.

"News is an important form of content that sustains civic society," Mr Chavern added. "I think everybody, from readers to writers to politicians, understands that if journalism goes away, that's a horrible outcome for whether we're able to sustain the republic."

Google, which did not reply to a request for comment, keeps much of its data about search and revenues in a black box alongside its algorithm.

The News Media Alliance based its new report partly on a study done by the economic consulting firm Keystone Strategy.
Keystone Strategy relies on a statistic that was made public in 2008, when a Google executive estimated that Google News brought in US$100 million.

The study also noted how much company revenues have grown since then, among other factors.

News is a significant part of Google's business, according to the study. Some 40 per cent of the clicks on the platform's trending queries are for news. That's content that Google does not pay for, the study said, although it often presents headlines from news outlets verbatim.

Mr Egger, of the Philadelphia Media Network, said the big tech companies should show some appreciation for the content that news publishers provide. "There's the potential for a beautiful co-dependence," he said.

"If you look at the reason they have such high engagement on their platforms, increasingly news is the No. 1 driver. Given that, they wouldn't want to see news go away. And yet the unintended consequence is we need to share the revenue or get paid for the content that we produce."

Two giant companies - Alphabet, which is Google's parent, and Facebook - are major distributors for news publishers. The two of them ferry more than 80 per cent of external traffic to various sites. That is a far cry from the analog days, when media barons controlled how their publications reached the public and collected all the ad income they generated.

But Google and Facebook don't steer news consumers to news sites out of altruism. Rather, their middleman role allows them to take a huge proportion of online ad revenue. As a result, legacy news outlets have lost a crucial source of income over the last couple decades, which has led them in most cases to shrink or disappear.

The big tech companies "like this business", Mr Chavern said. "It's a good business, where you write for them."

G-20 countries planning new tax policy for Internet giants: Report
G-20 countries planning new tax policy for Internet giants: Report
The tax policy, targeting firms like Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon, would allocate revenue to countries that provide large user bases for the world's digital corporate giants, said the Nikkei business daily.

The tax policy, targeting firms like Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon, would "allocate revenue to countries that provide large user bases for the world's digital corporate giants", said the Nikkei business daily.PHOTOS: REUTERS, AFP

May 30, 2019 -Group of 20 (G-20) countries are planning a new tax policy for digital giants like Google, based on the business a company does in a country, not where it is headquartered, the Nikkei business daily said on Thursday (May 30).

The basic policy is likely to be signed by finance ministers from the G-20 countries when they meet next month in the Japanese city of Fukuoka ahead of the main G-20 meeting in Osaka, the Nikkei said.

The policy, targeting firms like Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon, would "allocate revenue to countries that provide large user bases for the world's digital corporate giants", the daily said, citing unnamed sources.

The countries will seek to reach a final agreement in 2020, but how the policy will work remains to be finalized.

One possibility would be to distribute collected tax revenues to countries based on the number of users a given company has in each country.

SThat could mean that Facebook, which has centralized its profits and tax payments in Ireland to take advantage of low rates, would see its tax payments redistributed to areas where more of its users live.

But details of how the tax will be collected and distributed and which companies will be affected remain to be finalised, with the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) expected to help iron out the rules.

The issue of how to tax top digital companies has become increasingly fraught, with several European nations going it alone, drawing the ire of the United States.

The Paris-based OECD is trying to forge a new global agreement that would prevent the firms from simply declaring their income in low-tax jurisdictions, depriving other countries of billions in revenue.

In April, French lawmakers passed the first reading of a bill to impose taxes on digital advertising, the sale of personal data and other revenue for any technology company that earns more than 750 million euros (S$1.15 billion) worldwide each year.

A bid to agree a law at the European Union level was scuttled by low-tax countries like Ireland, which have wooed big tech firms.

Austria has proposed similar domestic legislation.

Zuckerberg Loses $7 Billion as Firms Boycott Facebook Ads

Mark Zuckerberg just became $7.2 billion poorer after a flurry of companies pulled advertising from Facebook Inc.’s network.

Shares of the social media company fell 8.3% on Friday, the most in three months, after Unilever, one of the world’s largest advertisers, joined other brands in boycotting ads on the social network. Unilever said it would stop spending money with Facebook’s properties this year.

The share-price drop eliminated $56 billion from Facebook’s market value and pushed Zuckerberg’s net worth down to $82.3 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. That also moved the Facebook chief executive officer down one notch to fourth place, overtaken by Louis Vuitton boss Bernard Arnault, who was elevated to one of the world’s three richest people along with Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates.

Companies from Verizon Communications Inc. to Hershey Co. have also stopped social media ads after critics said that Facebook has failed to sufficiently police hate speech and disinformation on the platform. Coca-Cola Co. said it would pause all paid advertising on all social media platforms for at least 30 days.

Zuckerberg responded Friday to the growing criticism about misinformation on the site, announcing the company would label all voting-related posts with a link encouraging users to look at its new voter information hub. Facebook also expanded its definition of prohibited hate speech, adding a clause saying no adverts will be allowed if they label another demographic as dangerous.

“There are no exceptions for politicians in any of the policies I’m announcing here today,” Zuckerberg said.

Back
Top Bottom