How secure is your home?

Peam

Jedi Council Member
I've just found out about a major security flaw with the locks on literally millions of upvc double glazed doors in millions of homes where burglars can easily get into your home in seconds.

The day before yesterday someone got into my son and daughter in-law's home while he was at work. At the time, this was about 10am, it was my daughter in law's day off and she was still upstairs having a lie-in. She said she heard someone moving about downstairs and was understandably scared stiff.
Anyway, the burglar might have heard her upstairs, or he might have just been casing the place to see what stuff they had in order to come back another time, because although some stuff was a bit out of place as though he was just nosing around, he left without taking anything, but he left the door unlocked. He didn't go upstairs, so he might have heard a noise.

The strange thing was that he hadn't actually broken anything to get in. So did he have a key?

So when my son got home he found a big locksmith advert in the phone book who came out within a couple of hours to fit a new lock to the upvc door. I went round as he was doing it and I couldn't believe how easy and quick it is to change. Only one screw to take out in the side of the door, put the key in, twist it to about 20 degrees from vertical, and the lock barrel comes straight out. Slip the new lock in and put the screw back in. Two minutes max! Not bad work for £124.

Mind you, they do 24 hour call out, and when you believe your door may be compromised you don't feel so safe and comfortable going to bed or leaving the house empty do you.

As we were talking he said he was a locksmith from another town, but did some call-out jobs for the national company my son had called. I asked him if it would have been cheaper to have called him direct instead of via the advert and he said yes £45 plus the new lock, never phone anything from a big advert as it's likely to be national and they'll likely just subcontract to a local firm anyway. He also mentioned how an increasing number of break-ins are being done by either snapping the lock or or 'bumping' it.

So, intrigued, I thought I'd try to find out more about it. They are called euro lock cylinders fitted to all upvc doors. And it seems as though as word gets round to more and more burglars, they may as well be made of chocolate.

http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/press1.asp
Huddersfield Examiner - Nov 3 2009

Flimsy door locks costing just a few pence are allowing burglars to plunder homes in Kirklees, West Yorkshire’s police chief has warned.
In the last year 320 homes in Kirklees have been targeted by thieves forcing open the cheap euro-profile locks on uPVC doors.
Sir Norman Bettison, chief constable for West Yorkshire Police, told the Examiner homes were at risk because it took just a matter of seconds to disable the locks.
He said police had not wanted to draw attention to the issue up to now because they did not want to alert criminals to the security weakness.

But he said the practice was becoming so commonplace that the public needed to be warned.
Burglars use a simple tool to smash the europrofile design cylinder, which often controls sophisticated locking systems on double glazed doors.
Sir Norman said: “The level of burglaries is worrying and our analysis shows a significant proportion of it, about one in four of all burglaries in West Yorkshire, is because of cheap euro-profile locks, which are used extensively in uPVC doors.
“They cost constructors 37p each, so you are protecting your £100,000-plus house with a 37p lock.
“Young burglars have realised how easy it is to attack these locks.
“We haven’t talked about this because we didn’t want to give potential burglars any ideas they didn’t already have, but we have now said we need to take a strategic position because it is widely known about within the criminal fraternity.
“The general householder isn’t aware of the vulnerability of the locks.
“I’m now wanting to raise the consciousness of the general public about this as a problem.”
Burglars who target euro-profile locks are very often intent on stealing top-of-the-range cars.
Sir Norman said: “If you have an expensive car parked on your drive, people intent on stealing it know the easiest way to do it is to look through the window and, if they see the keys on display, they can easily remove the lock and go and get it.
“If there are laptops and other valuables on display, the euro-profile lock is not a deterrent.”
Burglaries have risen in Kirklees, leading to it being made a policing priority in the division.
In the last six months, there were 1,606 house burglaries in the district. That was 6.4% more than during the same period last year and more than 50% more than in the same period in 2005, when there were 1,047.
Incidents in which euro-profile locks have been forced open have contributed to the rise.
Sir Norman said: “The locks should be changed for more secure locks and social housing providers are changing them, but private householders need to be aware that the euro-profile locks are very vulnerable.”
A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “It is difficult for a householder to tell what sort of lock is fitted but the general advice is that if you have an older uPVC door, it would be worthwhile getting the door checked by a reputable firm”.
According to police, nearly a quarter of burglaries in Kirklees in the last year were the result of houses being left insecure – with the door unlocked or windows open.
They advise householders to keep doors locked even when they are at home and leave lights on when they are out.

Yeah, notice how the police kept it quiet. Don't want to warn the public of the danger now do we, no because there's nothing we can do about it anyway!

_http://www.handlestore.com/antibump.php
Secretive knowledge held by locksmiths for many years is now in the public arena thanks to the internet. A simply adapted key can be inserted into common pin based locks and used to bump open your door in seconds! Concerned? You should be!

Maybe the reason the police are finally warning of the danger is because lock manufacturers are now coming up with viable solutions to the problem of 'snapping' and 'bumping'.

FAQ's
http://www.snaplocks.co.uk/page.php?xPage=help-faq&jssCart=8a3d752189a4e8abc64551eee262eee2

There's a patented lock here http://www.abs-secure.co.uk/thesolution.asp called the Avocet ABS which is claimed to have “snap secure”, and “bump resistant technology to resist bumping attacks” and other stuff. I can't find any bad reviews about it, and there's good reviews about them everywhere, even from the west yorkshire police.

There's a number of websites selling them, they are so easy to fit, and finding a local locksmiths shop selling them for £34.50 each, and because this replacement lock was just another burglar's delight, he's got two ABS's to replace both doors, and he's putting the cost of the call-out job down to experience or lack thereof.
The locksmith shop said they are the most secure door euro lock currently on the market and he can barely keep up with demand.

I'm going to get two as well ASAP !

It might be a good idea to check your doors.

I am currently employed as a locksmith here in Boulder, with a reputable company that has been in business for 36 years. I would like to share some of my thoughts on home security.
First, yes these euro profile locks are very poorly made. It seems all the high end homes here have them installed on french and patio doors. High failure rate and high replacement cost. I always advise against repair of these and replace door with standard pin and tumbler locks.
Second, your only real security is using your deadbolt, no matter what the brand. If you are not using your deadbolt almost anyone can access your home within seconds. Better made locks will be unpickable and also drill resistant due to improved technology.
A lot of the security in a lock of any kind is determined by the biting on a key. If you have a key with very deep and shallow cuts next to each other, that is an added layer of security.
Bumping or snapping will rarely work on a key that is cut this way.
When I rekey a customers home I always chose a key with this type of biting for their security.
Bottom line is always use your deadbolt.

In addition, I would like to add that the locksmith industry as a whole is plagued with con artists or scammers as I call them. In the United States, many states do not require licensing and bonding of this trade. Colorado as an example does not require this, which leaves the door wide open for the scammers. As a general rule, the unsuspecting public is not aware of this when they are in need of a locksmith. These scammers have very professional looking websites. If you just google locksmiths in your area yellow pages, it will easily show 20 plus listings close to you.
Using my area in Boulder, CO as an example. There are only two legitimate locksmith stores in town with actual storefronts. Yet to the unsuspecting, it would appear we have many more than that. They use fake addresses that do not exist.
It is my feeling that price shoppers are their easiest targets. They quote ridicuously low service call prices to hook you and time frames they have no intention of meeting. This should be a huge red flag. The old saying applies - "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is."
My advice to those in need of a locksmith would be -
1. Are they licensed and bonded?
2. Do they have an actual storefront?
If you can't confirm these first two, then be very wary of who you are dealing with.

I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but are you saying that yawl put locks on glass doors? Before I start laughing, I want to make sure I know what "double glazed" means :huh:

Dictionary:

double glazing
n
1. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Building) two panes of glass in a window, fitted to reduce the transmission of heat, sound, etc.
2. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Building) the fitting of glass in such a manner

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms

Noun 1. double glazing - a window with two panes of glass and a space between them;
reduces heat and noise transmission through the window window - a framework
of wood or metal that contains a glass windowpane and is built into a wall or roof
to admit light or air

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2011 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride#Unplasticized_polyvinyl_chloride_.28uPVC.29
Unplasticized polyvinyl chloride (uPVC)
Modern "Tudorbethan" house with uPVC gutters and downspouts, fascia, decorative imitation "half-timbering", windows, and doors

uPVC or rigid PVC is extensively used in the building industry as a low-maintenance material, particularly in Ireland, the United Kingdom, and in the United States. In the USA it is known as vinyl, or vinyl siding.[20][21] The material comes in a range of colors and finishes, including a photo-effect wood finish, and is used as a substitute for painted wood, mostly for window frames and sills when installing double glazing in new buildings, or to replace older single glazed windows. It has many other uses including fascia, and siding or weatherboarding. The same material has almost entirely replaced the use of cast iron for plumbing and drainage, being used for waste pipes, drainpipes, gutters and downspouts.[22] uPVC does not contain phthalates or BPA. Most dental retainers and mouthguards are made from uPVC. uPVC does not have the same concerns as flexible PVC. Phthalates are only added to flexible PVC. uPVC is also known as rigid PVC, uPVC is known as having strong resistance against chemicals, sunlight, and oxidation from water.[23]

So, basically, it is plastic...

glazed windows
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulated_glazing
Insulated glazing (IG) also known as double glazing are double or triple glass window panes separated by an air or other gas filled space to reduce heat transfer across a part of the building envelope.

So yeah, you are right... glass or plastic (single/double/triple) windows on a plastic door.

Guardian said:
I'm not sure I'm reading this right, but are you saying that yawl put locks on glass doors? Before I start laughing, I want to make sure I know what "double glazed" means :huh:

Yeah lol, it might have been clearer if I hadn't mentioned “double glazed” and just said “UPVC doors”, because not all UPVC doors have little window panes in the upper half of the door. But if the is a window in the door then it's usually double glazed. The locks are situated on the UPVC part.

Here's a picture of what I meant. _http://www.upvcdoorcompany.co.uk/

Peam said:

OK, so this is basically about the quality of a lock on a storm door that you can break open with a rock?

Guardian said:
Peam said:

OK, so this is basically about the quality of a lock on a storm door that you can break open with a rock?

No not by a rock. As I understand it, the barrel of euro profile locks are so designed that the mid section which twists on the barrel so as to operate the locking/unlocking door mechanism is a weak point which can be snapped if someone gets a wrench and twists the protruding barrel where the key fits, and then gain entry. That's what they call 'snapping'.

Then there's something called 'bumping' where they can stick a thin piece of metal or screwdriver into the keyhole, then sharply tap the screwdriver several times while twisting the screwdriver which can cause the tumblers in the lock to jump into the correct positions so the door can be opened.

These ABS locks are so designed that to stop the snapping in the mid point they've made a weaker point closer to the outside of the door, so if they try 'snapping' it will snap at this new point and the door will stay locked. And to stop 'bumping' they've made one or too tumblers in the lock magnetic and made the corresponding key magnetic in exactly the same place so only the correct key will open the door.

That's my basic understanding of it anyway.

Edit: Now I remember the tumblers are not magnetic but the mechanism is filled with some sort of liquid to stop the bumping.

If you are concerned in security of locks you should definitely see what these guys do.

__http://toool.nl/

Look for videos on YT about bump keys.
It turns out that 90% od locks can be picked this way , and it takes seconds ...

anart said:
Peam said:
No not by a rock.

I think that she means that all someone has to do is break the glass with a rock, reach in, unlock the door.

They could smash the glass and reach in, but if you haven't left the key in the door on the inside then they can't unlock it to get in. Would an opportunist burglar risk making a noise by breaking the glass and maybe alerting either neighbours, passers by, or waking the house occupants if it's in the middle of the night?

No house is fully secure. If they are determined to get in they'll find a way. A more secure lock is just that little bit more deterrent and an opportunist thief might go find somewhere else to burgle.

anart said:
Peam said:
No not by a rock.

I think that she means that all someone has to do is break the glass with a rock, reach in, unlock the door.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I looked at the doors in question and my first thought was that I could put my foot right through that, but I can understand the noise factor if you have close neighbors. I guess it all depends on where you live? Locking the doors on a house full of windows has never made any sense to me anyway...but I guess if you have neighbors close enough to hear breaking glass, locks could be a helpful deterrent?

Where I live we don't lock doors, but we do have guns and large dogs that will eat strangers.

Is secure, if an atomic bomb falls over it well it's not gonna resist. But about what you are talking about is secure, the last time a guy broke the lass and he spend an hour trying to break the lock, :halo: I was taking care of him from the window of above until he saw me and run to his home.

Guardian said:
Where I live we don't lock doors, but we do have guns and large dogs that will eat strangers.

:lol: Same here, though we do lock doors. We also have a very big Chow-Lab mix that keeps other idiots away.

What we've found that works best? Mounted security cameras in the driveway. That, in addition to the dog, and the fact that I'm always home, keeps the burglars away.

Guardian said:
anart said:
Peam said:
No not by a rock.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I looked at the doors in question and my first thought was that I could put my foot right through that, but I can understand the noise factor if you have close neighbors. I guess it all depends on where you live? Locking the doors on a house full of windows has never made any sense to me anyway...but I guess if you have neighbors close enough to hear breaking glass, locks could be a helpful deterrent?

fwiw the glass doesn't break that easily (its tempered/shatter resistant for safety reasons - i.e. to make sure it doesn't break if you accidentally try to put you foot through it)
Not the best video (they suck at breaking the glass), but _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClrB5TSpAgE

Most houses in the UK are built right on top of/next to each other, so that amount of noise wouldn't go unnoticed.

There is however this which looks like a really bad point of weakness _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu3afG6TcBw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLA8730D20A70EB513

Back
Top Bottom