How to prepare for the coming Ice Age?

Couple of comments on above information. Be aware that Buckwheat is very high in oxalates. If you've a propensity to renal stones, consume in small doses.
Dry canning: It is easy to toast the jar contents this way. The idea is to kill any insect eggs, making the grains safer for storage. Also, vermin and insects cannot get into glass jars. When heated, air expands. That is going to reduce some Oxygen exposure of sealed contents, I would think. One could always use a vacuum sealer for the jars, and just check contents periodically for insect infestation. Bulk rice is very prone to insect infestation, in my experience. Dried legumes, I've never had a problem with.
I've had raccoons gnaw through heavy plastic buckets and go to town on all stored food contents. Those buggers seem to like coffee and oatmeal best.
Thank you Yupo for your comments, I live in a small apartment with no basement, I have started to store more using Vacuum sealers preserve food, and using a lot of reused glass jars to store grains and legumes; beans, chickpeas, etc, and gluten free types of pasta, because I had already had several insect infestations.

What I do with buckwheat, rice, legumes, nuts, etc, is always soak them overnight, several hours as indicated in the charts for breaks down anti-nutrients. I will check better then about what you say.

Thanks

Thank you Yupo for your comments, I live in a small apartment with no basement, I have started to store more using Vacuum sealers preserve food, and using a lot of reused glass jars to store grains and legumes; beans, chickpeas, etc, and gluten free types of pasta, because I had already had several insect infestations.

What I do with buckwheat, rice, legumes, nuts, etc, is always soak them overnight, several hours as indicated in the charts for breaks down anti-nutrients. I will check better then about what you say.

Thanks
Here's a great program from Sott on the subject of dietary oxalates with Sally Norton:

Oxalates do way more than just cause renal stones. It's good to be aware of them and the risks of eating such foods. Probably we can eat them, just in small doses (if prone to trouble). There are a lot of food lists on the web with conflicting information as to oxalate content. Spices can be problematic as well. Here's a paper on Indian spices:

Anyway, if one can prevent a major health crisis like a renal stone, so much the better. We might be in a situation in the near future with reduced availability to advanced medical care. These stones can lead to organ failure, septic shock, and worse.

Hello,
I recently had the subject of "food shortage" discussed with my uncle (which is a kind of mentor for me), and yesterday, in a belgian Telegram channel, someone posted a video of 5m which is a compilation of short clips with french sub-titles (I searched for the original on Odyssey but did not find it, so I think this compilation of clips + traduction was made by the french guy). So, this subject coming 2x in 3 days + the fact that, a couple of years before, I bought 5 big storage boxes (still unused) and the fact that during this holiday period I'm refurbishing the cellar of my parent's home in order (among other) to place them and "maybe" start to fill them, this prompted me to search here on the forum what was said about this subject, and that's why i'm posting here.

Here's the video : Pénurie alimentaire programmé !??
(the 10 first seconds are text in french and the clips start just after)

It's a subject I've heard a lot about but haven't looked into yet due to lack of time. I have a simple question yet about : Is it advisable to store food from now on for the next winter ? Or the sub-question just in regard to europe. I ask this because as I have to cope with many things to do/subjects at this moment I would like to take the good decision by giving the good priority to such or such subject and about this one, well, maybe it's the good time to act, but also to inform my close family about. I mean : I do not want to scare my relatives if the subject is not yet alarming, but if it is the good time, I think that my close family will help me on this matter. At least as my uncle brought the subject recently, maybe it's time to inform better about.

For french people, here's the site that my uncle showed me where we can order bio food : VRAC BIO en ligne | Livraison Gratuite à partir de 39€ | VRACBIO.COM (there are probably many others but he told me that he browsed the site and that the prices were not expensive)
And here's the link to the storage boxes I bought a couple of years before (french company & site) : Janny MT | Stockage Étanche - Présentation & concept (2 types of boxes at the bottom of the page)

Hello,
I recently had the subject of "food shortage" discussed with my uncle (which is a kind of mentor for me), and yesterday, in a belgian Telegram channel, someone posted a video of 5m which is a compilation of short clips with french sub-titles (I searched for the original on Odyssey but did not find it, so I think this compilation of clips + traduction was made by the french guy). So, this subject coming 2x in 3 days + the fact that, a couple of years before, I bought 5 big storage boxes (still unused) and the fact that during this holiday period I'm refurbishing the cellar of my parent's home in order (among other) to place them and "maybe" start to fill them, this prompted me to search here on the forum what was said about this subject, and that's why i'm posting here.

Here's the video : Pénurie alimentaire programmé !??
(the 10 first seconds are text in french and the clips start just after)

It's a subject I've heard a lot about but haven't looked into yet due to lack of time. I have a simple question yet about : Is it advisable to store food from now on for the next winter ? Or the sub-question just in regard to europe. I ask this because as I have to cope with many things to do/subjects at this moment I would like to take the good decision by giving the good priority to such or such subject and about this one, well, maybe it's the good time to act, but also to inform my close family about. I mean : I do not want to scare my relatives if the subject is not yet alarming, but if it is the good time, I think that my close family will help me on this matter. At least as my uncle brought the subject recently, maybe it's time to inform better about.

For french people, here's the site that my uncle showed me where we can order bio food : VRAC BIO en ligne | Livraison Gratuite à partir de 39€ | VRACBIO.COM (there are probably many others but he told me that he browsed the site and that the prices were not expensive)
And here's the link to the storage boxes I bought a couple of years before (french company & site) : Janny MT | Stockage Étanche - Présentation & concept (2 types of boxes at the bottom of the page)
I think we have all seen that life is suddenly rather unpredictable with many more things than usual beyond our control. It is always good to have extra food, water and fuel on hand. And blankets. Plastic sheeting for broken windows, etc. In winter, severe storms can prevent travel to the store and worse, close off roads that supply localities. If damage is widespread, one might be dependent on food drops or rationing programs. It has happened before so foolish to think it could not happen again. I don't mean to sound all gloom and doom. I think people might sleep better if somewhat prepared for hard times. Even if winter passes well, you can always eat the food later.

Video is an hour long. The polar vortex type storm began in January and lasted for 2 months, covering many states in USA.

The Blizzard of 1949:

No tech magazine has articles on living well without modern technology. Today's article is on drying clothes near the ceiling in winter w/o electricity.
Hi Yupo, my solution for indoor drying is to install a second shower rod above the shower head parallel to the shower rod. Hang wet clothes on hangers, space 2-3" apart on the rod. I could do a load of laundry at 10pm, the clothes would be dry by about 8am the next morning. Clothes are ready to put in a closet, too. I also put my clothes on hangers to line dry, saves space and time. I have never owned a dryer and probably never will. I don't need one.

DREDGER, excellent video about the food scarcity ruse, sharing with friends, thank you.

If this is true, it is worrisome indeed. It will not be the first time famines have been engineered. Better to prepare for the possibility of it being true. I'm including a link about a 20th Century famine in Bengal. If you read the article, notice how many of the conditions are similar to what we have today; widespread debt, prioritized industries, background war, lying MSM, people losing homes, lands, farms, businesses, increasing government dependency... I'm not saying this one was engineered, but I am saying there was food that could have been distributed. In the novel The Good Earth, during the famine, the party people didn't lose weight if I recall. Fiction, I know.

So, let's all hope it is fear-mongering nonsense, but we can be prepared for a bad storm with energy cuts, water cuts, road closures, etc.
Alternative heating and cooking fuel
Snow removal (from roof if possible) system
Mylar emergency blankets ($1 each)
Basic repair stuff
Basic medicines
Basic foods
Warm clothes
Boots in good repair
Alternative sanitation/toilet
Needful dental work taken care of, etc

I think it is good to have practice drills, maybe try going off grid for a few days once in a while to test out your systems, see what works, what needs improvement. Kids seem to enjoy the adventure.

This past winter, we practiced making snowshoes. Used green pinewood for frame, so it would bend for the outer side.

20201218_031820.jpg

Finished product covered with pine bough. Test was successful. Without snowshoe feet sunk 11 inches into the snow. With snowshoe, feet stayed on top of snow.

Fire making kit. All leather work handmade, knife 100033100816_91683.jpgalso. Top left to right Wet stone with straup (sic?) on back, metal striker by cord, magnify glass in case, pouch to hold flint. Bottom: knife, metal box of char with piece of flint on open lid.

This may be a bit of a silly question, but since I've been looking to buy a new winter coat as mine is not insulating enough 🥶, I thought I'd ask, just in case someone has some recommendations from experience. I'm looking to get a good quality winter coat that does well for low and below 0 temperatures and good snow boots as I don't have any. I was wondering if anyone has any brand in mind they have good experiences with. Did you go for wool, feathers or synthetic when it comes to a winter coat? I came across Canada Goose, but I'm guessing that's an overkill and it's expensive too. Or maybe North Face? There are so many options!

Back
Top Bottom