Human Herd Mentality Social Experiment

On all sides, through television and newspapers, we are bombarded with descriptions that we dumb down and manipulate our thinking.
Masses of people are manipulated believe corrupt politicians, their false promises.
For years, nodding, sometimes look like puppets. Crowd control, by individuals every day is getting worse, the mentality of people is deformed, the individual is asking questions all the time:
"What else would think, if I do not do the same?"

I read recently one comment.
People are surprised that one shepherd or a dog Shepherd control a large flock of sheep. But the human herd has long surpassed the sheep, because we, the human sheep (6 billion), a few people control without problems.
People who start to think "their" heads, first look askance, then isolated, ridiculed, or they rig things with "solid" evidence.

Thank you for sharing, Joe and others, at first funny, but actually it is for cry.

Alejo said:
What I found the most interesting, which in hindsight I would have done, is no one asked the only person in the room not standing up. The receptionist would be the only one in the room with the ability to confirm or deny the herd tendency. Yet no one went for it. :-.

I noticed that too and was wondering why no-one noticed the secretary not standing up or asked her what was going on. I remember when I was a kid being told "If everyone decided to go jump off a bridge would you do it too?" and emphatically saying "of course not!". But as the experiment suggests, you most likely would! Also reminds me of Milgram's experiments where people would unquestioningly obey authority figures without question. So you take herd mentality with obedience to authority (which for the most are psychopathic) and end up with a recipe for disaster!

Thanks for sharing the videos. It is truly scary to see how well priming works. There are many examples of how this is employed by the Ptb and the use of mass media, the Hollywood movie industry etc. The selling of the idea of "the American dream" is still alive and well after so many years, just like words such as democracy and freedom is still associated with the West, even if the evidence tells a different story :scared: Islam has now been primed together with the word terror, communism as a russian evil etc. The list is endless.

Gurdjieff was spot on in saying that man is a machine and that it is essential to learn about the machine as a first step. To become conscious of it and how mechanical we are.

Nancy2feathers said:
PhoenixToEmber said:
Great post, Joe. Thanks for sharing.

Laura said:
Keep in mind that this is just a small example of how we get programmed. If you think about all the other things, it can make you nuts! What part of us is NOT programmed?

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this.

Thanks for sharing, Joe. I was hoping at least ONE person would get it and not go along with being programmed. :huh:

What we agreed on here was that, if in that situation, we would at least go and ask the receptionist what the reason for the standing up was. I mean, don't ya need a reason to perform an otherwise pointless task, other than "everyone else is doing it"??

fabric said:
Alejo said:
What I found the most interesting, which in hindsight I would have done, is no one asked the only person in the room not standing up. The receptionist would be the only one in the room with the ability to confirm or deny the herd tendency. Yet no one went for it. :-.

I noticed that too and was wondering why no-one noticed the secretary not standing up or asked her what was going on. I remember when I was a kid being told "If everyone decided to go jump off a bridge would you do it too?" and emphatically saying "of course not!". But as the experiment suggests, you most likely would! Also reminds me of Milgram's experiments where people would unquestioningly obey authority figures without question. So you take herd mentality with obedience to authority (which for the most are psychopathic) and end up with a recipe for disaster!

Indeed. And this is where exposure to the idea that people can be programmed in this way can potentially save your life. Having a somewhat negative view of human beings in general is not such a bad thing. Of course, you keep it to yourself and treat others well, but when it comes down to it and you see a bunch of people acting in an irrational way, you'd be best to check twice before blindly following along. Also, avoiding large crowds to avoid being caught up in some kind of herd mentality or 'limbic resonance' is a good idea too.

Thanks for sharing, Joe. I'm still pretty gobsmacked that there was only one person who posed the question, and then when he was told it was because others were doing it, he proceeded to do it himself. The majority of people watching that video probably would have thought to themselves: "Well I wouldn't have done that". But the reality is that we probably think/behave in these ways most of the time, and are simply unconscious of it. Its kind of depressing to see that people can be so easily primed to behave in certain ways for reasons they don't actually understand, but provides a bit more insight into how the state of the world has become the way it is now.

Sad state of affairs :(

People easily sacrifice conscience and common sense for the sake of being part of some herd.

It's apparently difficult for humans to feel comfortable alone. Lots of fears of being rejected and having nobody to silent your make believe insecurities I suppose?

While back I had a short job of doing mundane tasks. While those jobs were explained by the supervisor he asked if the whole group did understand. I told him I didn't got if from the start. Many laughed, but the supervisor handled it pretty sweet. He asked to all the people who laughed to explain it to me. But none could, so I had the last laugh. :lol:

I 'hate' people in groups. If you speak to people individually they usually have so much more to say and offer.

Keyhole said:
Thanks for sharing, Joe. I'm still pretty gobsmacked that there was only one person who posed the question, and then when he was told it was because others were doing it, he proceeded to do it himself. The majority of people watching that video probably would have thought to themselves: "Well I wouldn't have done that". But the reality is that we probably think/behave in these ways most of the time, and are simply unconscious of it. Its kind of depressing to see that people can be so easily primed to behave in certain ways for reasons they don't actually understand, but provides a bit more insight into how the state of the world has become the way it is now.

Yup - we are mechanical in our automatic system 1 thinking. One of the biggest cognative biases to come to terms with is 'It doesn't apply to me'. We can spot these things in others but need help and willingness to be able to see them in ourselves, hence Networking.
That gobsmacked feeling is familiar if you've ever had feedback about something you did you where unaware of, presuming your brain didn't just use system 1 to deflect it.

bjorn said:
People easily sacrifice conscience and common sense for the sake of being part of some herd.

Which is why it's very important to question these things in ourselves.

herondancer said:
The answer the girl gave when she was alone with the first person in the second group ("Everyone was, so I thought I should too") seemed so flimsy.

Did you hear what she said after that?
"Once I decided to go with it, I felt much more comfortable" - which in essence is the truth of the matter.

Understanding the psychological forces here are important:
Ever Feel Like an Outsider? You Are Not Alone
If you’ve ever felt like you are different from the people around you, chances are you’ve also been tempted to hide or minimise those differences to fit in.

Humans are social animals. We thrive when we feel understood and accepted. Our mental and physical health levels sink when we are lonely or fear rejection. So if we feel threatened by rejection, we do our best to avoid it.

There are good evolutionary reasons for this. Psychologists point out that for early humans expulsion from your tribe or group would probably have meant death.

Although wild animal attacks or starvation is no longer at issue for most of us, the impact of not belonging still affects us deeply.

The shocking truth about rejection, or even the fear of rejection, is that it can affect our health and even our life expectancy.

Back in the 1980s, when HIV/AIDS began taking hold, researchers at UCLA undertook a longitudinal study to look at what made the biggest difference to the health and longevity of gay men with HIV.

Unexpectedly, the factor that had the most dramatic impact was whether the men had come out as gay. Those who had decided to stay in the closet died on average 2-3 years earlier than those who were out.

Studies of elderly people, who make up a large proportion of the loneliest in our society, show similar results. Not only does lack of intimacy shorten lives, it increases the incidence of dementia, viruses and other health problems.

People who feel like outsiders, or those who are stereotyped or feel discriminated against, are also more likely to describe themselves as lonely. Their stress levels rise and their immunity falls.

This affects so many of us. Are you one of the many who can tell poignant stories of feeling left out at school, not being one of the ‘popular’ kids or being picked last for the team?

Teenagers, too, tend to feel like outsiders. They want to be accepted, but don’t know who they are yet, as they endure a complete rewiring of their brain and body.

For many of us, this sense of dislocation is temporary. Especially if we can build on a foundation of loving parents and intimate and trusting relationships with friends and lovers, we are well able to repair any damage that occurred in the dark times.

Resilience is the key, not only to health and well-being, but also for how we can harness our differences and turn them into creative fuel.

Being an outsider doesn’t have to hold you back. In fact, the greatest artists, innovators, comedians, scientists and entrepreneurs have been outsiders. Albert Einstein, Vincent Van Gogh, Woody Allen, Richard Branson, Lady Gaga, Steve Jobs, Oprah Winfrey, Meera Syal, Maya Angelou... the list goes on and on.

Each of these people began with disadvantages that could have, and at times did, exclude them from ‘normal’ society. But each turned their differences into an advantage.

Einstein turned his failure at subjects other than physics and maths, and eventual expulsion from school, into the opportunity to undertake his ‘thought experiments’, leading him to the General Theory of Relativity.

Syal turned her experience of stereotyping and discrimination into satire as she created Goodness Gracious Me a BBC show that changed the landscape of British comedy.

Jobs combined geeky electronics into objects of desire, not only influencing other computer manufacturers but transforming the way that people interacted with technology.

We are constantly told to ‘think out of the box’. Outsiders are not in the box in the first place. They need to overcome the temptation to try and fit in by climbing into one.

True belonging doesn’t come from fitting in. Contorting who we are to be accepted by others is like getting into our own closet. And we’ve already seen the impact that can have on our health and well-being.

No, belonging is about being accepted as the person we are. {This starts by seeing ourselves clearly, accepting ourselves as we are, without judgment, cognative biases and all! You can then Work from that foundation.} We don’t need to share all our characteristics with others, but we do need to share a sense of connection, of empathy and, ideally, of purpose.

This shared purpose may be extreme, pushing soldiers who would otherwise have little in common to feel like brothers when they are under fire. Or it may be as simple as a group of friends going for a walk.

The truth is, although we are all unique, we have more in common with one another than different. Even the experience of feeling like an outsider is itself one that is shared with millions of other people.

You may be different, but you are not alone.

[quote author= article RedFox]There are good evolutionary reasons for this. Psychologists point out that for early humans expulsion from your tribe or group would probably have meant death.[/quote]

Are they trying to suggest that this kind of stupidity is in our genes? Well, can't really blame the Girl for acting like that I suppose, especially so because our environment is obsessed about conforming, instead of learning to think critical. She was never taught to go against the herd. And who is really?

Well this is extremely interesting. I was astounded to witness the human machines' reaction in the video.

I'm just a little surprised that I didn't see anyone here on the forum exclaim that if it were them, they would not have fallen for it. Or did I miss that?

Me personally, honestly if I was in that situation I would have turned round and said in a LOUD voice "What the f--k are y'all doing! Are you all mad?!

Knowing my own personal history, and the complete non-conformist that I am I can just imagine my reaction if I were in the same situation.
Sometimes it can get me into trouble though, so I restrict the intensity of my reaction. But I do slip-up sometimes.

bjorn said:
[quote author= article RedFox]There are good evolutionary reasons for this. Psychologists point out that for early humans expulsion from your tribe or group would probably have meant death.

Are they trying to suggest that this kind of stupidity is in our genes? Well, can't really blame the Girl for acting like that I suppose, especially so because our environment is obsessed about conforming, instead of learning to think critical. She was never taught to go against the herd. And who is really?
[/quote]

I don't think it's entirely stupid that human beings have a tendency towards this. Like Joe wrote in the beginning post:

We're already well aware of this very common human tendency to follow the group, but it serves to restate the point. Of course, this tendency is not in itself negative. It just depends on who is setting the example and what the example is.

So it does serve a purpose, but I think the crucial factor is critical thinking, like you said. We have to be able to consciously choose to align with a certain or 'herd' when there are real values and principles at the core of the group. An example would be what we see here on the forum, and in the case of Putin, a government that is showing by example what real leaders with genuine character are like, which I can only assume many Russians pick up on and emulate, even if not fully aware of it. I know I sometimes ask myself "What would Putin do in a situation like this?" :rolleyes: But also, with what Gurdjieff would always talk about in regards to working towards an individuated self, being prepared to deal with the discomfort, loneliness and fear that comes with going against the grain and what you see, when some part of you deep-down knows what is happening around you or how the 'herd' is behaving goes against some internalized principle or value, or in the case of the social experiment in the video, doing something stupid silly without asking for a reason why.

RedFox said:
Yup - we are mechanical in our automatic system 1 thinking. One of the biggest cognative biases to come to terms with is 'It doesn't apply to me'. We can spot these things in others but need help and willingness to be able to see them in ourselves, hence Networking.
That gobsmacked feeling is familiar if you've ever had feedback about something you did you where unaware of, presuming your brain didn't just use system 1 to deflect it.

Yes, in fact, it apply to the most of us. It has its light side and dark side.

I remember when I saw prank when group of people and one who was targeted, walk for some time in group (with those one person who didn't know anything) and suddenly start to run. The person subconsciously has been pushed to start running, of course it was very fun and the like.

But it was very important because if real danger would occur, for example, car would enter the pavement, then such mechanical reaction (induced by other people) will save life of this person.

This is the light side, the dark side is that if we are under influence of wrong behaviour of people, then it is not enough. Then the system 2 should be switch on and filter this situation through the observation, analisys, and give the command to system 1, like coachman give order to the horse in G.'s parable.

To the girl from the video, if her system 2 would work in the eligible way, then her behaviour would change. Feedback from others is also very important because it help pull system 2 on the mast, so to speak, of course if people who give the feedback using intuition, but also system 2 and its "slow thinking".

[quote author= Turgon]I don't think it's entirely stupid that human beings have a tendency towards this.[/quote]

I don't know, I agree that it's good to have a group that leads by example.

But I be damned if I stood up every time some zoom-er rings because everyone does like in the video. I am not saying I am immune by group mentality, but I think that is where I certainly will draw the line.

Group mentality only serves a positive purpose I think if it makes people follow them in the knowledge that there must be a good reason for it. They must learn and understand why the group acts that way. But for that to happen, you of course must be part of group that is of a good/creativity nature. OSIT.

But ultimately acts of conscience cannot be found in herd-mentality. True conscience can only be found in yourself. Not by imitation.

If you want people to uphold true value's. They have to learn to think critical and for themselves. They have to learn to listen to their own conscience. Instead of being dominated by group mentality.

Ocean said:
Well this is extremely interesting. I was astounded to witness the human machines' reaction in the video.

I'm just a little surprised that I didn't see anyone here on the forum exclaim that if it were them, they would not have fallen for it. Or did I miss that?

Me personally, honestly if I was in that situation I would have turned round and said in a LOUD voice "What the f--k are y'all doing! Are you all mad?!

Knowing my own personal history, and the complete non-conformist that I am I can just imagine my reaction if I were in the same situation.
Sometimes it can get me into trouble though, so I restrict the intensity of my reaction. But I do slip-up sometimes.

As much as I'd like to think that I wouldn't have fallen for it, I can't say for sure I wouldn't have for that or another similar situation. Thing is that we are all susceptible to herd effects and we aren't always on point 100% of the time. So yeah sure, I can say "those people are crazy, I wouldn't have fallen for that and done x, y z!" but the very next second I can do something else that turns out to be herd effect and not even realize it. However, I do think exposure to seeing these types of experiments does help in raising awareness which helps in bringing system 2 into play and allows one to not get 'caught in the tide' so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom