Human Herd Mentality Social Experiment

It sounds like you have to be aware of the crowd you're with. To "know your herd." If you're with a bunch of more or less conscious and aware people, then you can probably follow your instinct and just act as the crowd does. If you're with a bunch of Pokemon Go players and they start running somewhere, they might get run over. Don't follow them, best to leave the crowd.

I think the environment of this situation is important. They are in a sort of medical office? So your attitude when you go in this type of place is a little weak. O a little scare. So doing what others do (maybe it was a dentist office) is a little reassuring, comforting. In another situation maybe people would have reacted differently.

I was also thinking about "good education". The girl is a Japanese, maybe Korean, and the gesture of this little reverence and the sound of the bell is very Oriental. When you are in front of an Oriental that do this gesture maybe because you respect the Oriental gesture you do the same, because you have education. And education is also mechanical, maybe.

Laura said:
Keep in mind that this is just a small example of how we get programmed. If you think about all the other things, it can make you nuts! What part of us is NOT programmed?

Everything in us is programmed...unfortunately,for example.What is the reason than women do not want to see any hair in our legs or under our arms? Why do we use piercing or tattoos?Why do we use lipstick or make up? :rolleyes:The list is very long...

bjorn said:
Turgon said:
I don't think it's entirely stupid that human beings have a tendency towards this.

Group mentality only serves a positive purpose I think if it makes people follow them in the knowledge that there must be a good reason for it. They must learn and understand why the group acts that way. But for that to happen, you of course must be part of group that is of a good/creativity nature. OSIT.

But ultimately acts of conscience cannot be found in herd-mentality. True conscience can only be found in yourself. Not by imitation.

If you want people to uphold true value's. They have to learn to think critical and for themselves. They have to learn to listen to their own conscience. Instead of being dominated by group mentality.

I agree, you can't imitate or fake a conscience and really need to have that seed or potential already within you for it to grow. However, you need soil and the right conditions for that to happen and think that a group that does exemplify what it means to have a conscience, can, in a lot of ways affect the individual causing the stirring of conscience to awaken in them, and it may not even be entirely conscious or sought after, but because of the anchoring of that certain frequency that a group can hold, starts to effect the individual in ways they don't realize or expect.

Do I have a conscience? I think I do, but can't be sure. However, through example I've seen behaviour and thinking from other forum members that have impacted me in so many ways, sometimes quickly, other times it's taken several years for those lessons and understandings to seep in, giving me reason to pause and even adopt some of that thinking and traits that I have seen from them that didn't exist in me before. Is this simply imitation or herd mentality? I don't know. There are so many forces that act upon a person and as much as I would like to think that I have the where with all to always be on top of things, awake and aware, without the examples set by the group here, that helps make sure we don't fall under 'A' influences that would lull our conscience back to sleep (which is just about everywhere), I'm not sure how much of a chance an individual on their own would really have.

Last edited by a moderator:
loreta said:
I think the environment of this situation is important. They are in a sort of medical office? So your attitude when you go in this type of place is a little weak. O a little scare. So doing what others do (maybe it was a dentist office) is a little reassuring, comforting. In another situation maybe people would have reacted differently.

I was also thinking about "good education". The girl is a Japanese, maybe Korean, and the gesture of this little reverence and the sound of the bell is very Oriental. When you are in front of an Oriental that do this gesture maybe because you respect the Oriental gesture you do the same, because you have education. And education is also mechanical, maybe.

Thanks Joe for this thread. I watched the video this morning (and shared it on my FB page.) loreta thanks for your input which, despite the obvious running program, makes sense to me in this specific situation as you explained it. Another way to say it, is that things are not black and white.

But it is very stunning and at some point disturbing to see how we are able to act in such ways and as Laura said it is only a small example among many others. I also laughed, maybe because there is some kind of politness in the whole thing making this experiment "gentle" in this case, like something smooth. But what if the same experiment would have be done in hard context? I am then not sure at all I would have laughed. I think I would have been scarry.

This also reminds me of how people are able to act when someone is in great difficulty among the crowd and that nobody acts toward this person until a first person start to do so. I experimented this situation several times, where for example a woman had a discomfort in the train, she was pregnant and nobody moved. I turned myself (she was behind my back) then got up from my seat, went to see her and decided while we were just arriving to a station to get out of the train, run to the driver (I was in the first wagon, if I had not been there I would have action the emergency stop) and ask him to not restart the train and to call emergencies. While all of this was done (a couple of minutes) two or three people were around this woman when I got back in the train. What would happen to this pregnant woman if nobody had made nothing? I do not know, but this was not the first time I was experimenting this kind of weird reaction of a crowd where everybody think someone else is going to do something and think they have not to move at all, waiting for another person to do it instead of them. :shock:

From my experience, some socially sanctioned behaviour can be quite beneficial, if you find yourself working an office job, you have to follow certain rules. These rules may include being punctual, completing work on time, respecting your seniors (which can present in different ways depending on your relationship with authorities) and your colleagues. However, the flipside is that there are also very many rules that can go against good judgement, such as having to "kowtow" to seniors and management, having to work long hours on very menial tasks, etc. Burt Hellinger called this a "group conscience", which seems to be a kind of rule book stored in the information field of a particular group, be it a family, company, country, or planet.

It's like something you grow out of, like a seed that grows into a plant and then blooms a flower... however with bad soil it may never see the light of day. That's what our environment is like right now in almost any area you find yourself in on planet Earth, with many negative aspects of reality being what is constantly being accessed and activated within our fields on a daily basis. So having a group like us can provide a nurturing environment for the growth of good habits, and the struggle against what is bad and corrupt -- an injection of truth and order into the chaos of "our" world.

I think the idea of having a conscience starts with remembering, then observing ourselves, which creates that awareness, that light, which can penetrate the veil and allow us to SEE our actual place on this planet, which of course is a long and painful process that can be fraught with unforeseen attacks and mistakes of our own faults.

The idea of free will also comes to mind, and how the C's stress this point constantly. Looking in the strange and crazy circumstances we live in, where we are born and die machines, being on our toes and using our critical faculties and abilities can help us in dire situations where we need to make a choice through our free will.

A Can of Worms here.. One aspect, it made me think of that policeman, who said: 15% is good, 15% is bad, and 70% complies with the others. The internal or external moral skeleton. Being a sheeple helps if you are in the army, and for being/staying an employee, too, i guess. Without a steady employment plus ditto relation, one doesn't have a "normal" (norm-full?)life, most people think. So, when in doubt, follow, to not lose that "life".
Some people even seem offended, when one doesn't exactly follow the, sometimes even absolutely arbitrarily, rules (authoritarian followers), and those are given more and more leeway by our society, to feel offended. So would you stand up on a cue, to not offend an invisible authoritarian follower? Rhetorical question! Get a life! God sees everything? You had your eyes open when we preyed for dinner, my sis said once..
Funny that the girl in the first video, did dare to "warn" her successor, this makes the proposition that she is particularly insecure, false. So, my guess is, she tries, above all, to avoid getting shamed.

Turgon said:
bjorn said:
From my experience, some socially sanctioned behaviour can be quite beneficial, if you find yourself working an office job, you have to follow certain rules. These rules may include being punctual, completing work on time, respecting your seniors (which can present in different ways depending on your relationship with authorities) and your colleagues. However, the flipside is that there are also very many rules that can go against good judgement, such as having to "kowtow" to seniors and management, having to work long hours on very menial tasks, etc. Burt Hellinger called this a "group conscience", which seems to be a kind of rule book stored in the information field of a particular group, be it a family, company, country, or planet.

The rule about kowtowing to seniors or management has evolutionary origins as well. There is a pecking order in groups of higher mammals like primates for example. The leaders and seniors are higher than younger and newer members. Not respecting this hierarchy would lead to the primate equivalent of an "educational beatdown" (_http://chirontraining.blogspot.com/2013/03/cofv10-educational-beatdown.html). A reason could be that the integrity of the group takes precedence for survival reasons. One has to demonstrate that he/she belongs to the group by following the rules of the group. And that often involves kowtowing and doing menial work. We have not gotten over primate level social conditioning in most human organizations in this respect.

c.a. said:
Idiot me bought Y2K lock stock en barrel, back in the days of ignorance. Yeah Barb wire, survival food, gas mask (LOL), ammo etc etc. Hell was living in East Oakland Ca. at the time.

Then (i pray and hope), the thinking light goes on (and come to realize if this situation were to go real life viral) i would not be able to stand the hordes of anyone that wanted something to survive. They'd burn the place down to meet there basic survival need's.

But in retro speck i think too remember more, that i had read the session page that Y2K was bunk. Total mind control doctrine.

It took a week to wipe the eggs off my face, and (the self humiliation), for falling for the Propaganda. Courtesy of Art Bell.

Session 13 November 1999
Q: Next question, and I think this one will be quick: can you make any comments on the likelihood of this Y2K situation getting out of hand and bringing on the "New World Order" or causing the institution of Martial Law, or causing people to need to store food, guns, ammunition and take all their money out of the bank? There is an AWFUL lot of hysteria out there about this...
A: Ask them what happened on November 7th.
Q: Oh, you mean the big Hoagland prediction that something was going to strike the earth... supposedly revealed to him by a "confidential informant" who somehow proved his "reliability," by having "inside information" and so forth. In other words, another spate of disinformation?

A: Yup!
:headbash:

Still at it making bank $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s
Art Bell Ballad of the greys and Why worry about Y2K
_https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NugfmcFE0

Don't be too hard on yourself regarding y2k. And don't forget a lot of people and companies made a LOT of money from it. I worked in the IT industry at the time and there was a fortune being spent on people upgrading servers, PCs, Networking routers and switches - good corporate governance said they had to, and so they did. Budgets for replacement were bought forward, special new budgets were created, extra money was found. The meme was absolutely pervasive.

Back
Top Bottom