Hurricane Helene Brings Catastrophic Flooding to US South

There's still a lot of people stranded and needing rescue along the NC mountains. I feel pretty lucky here in Winston-Salem to only have suffered a few downed limbs compared to the catastrophic destruction I am seeing in and around Asheville. Some of the smaller mountain communities may never recover. I kind of wish I had proceeded with a SAR certification so I could assist but I couldn't even get over Black Mountain (Interstate 40 East of Asheville) due to the landslides if I tried. I've already had to postpone my beach trip this year due to the tropical cyclone that swamped the coast. NC has taken a beating in the last 30 days and has made me want to reevaluate my preps. Communications like ham or 2-way radio, water, and power backups seems to be of utmost importance when the tech infrastructure fails.

There's still a lot of people stranded and needing rescue along the NC mountains. I feel pretty lucky here in Winston-Salem to only have suffered a few downed limbs compared to the catastrophic destruction I am seeing in and around Asheville. Some of the smaller mountain communities may never recover. I kind of wish I had proceeded with a SAR certification so I could assist but I couldn't even get over Black Mountain (Interstate 40 East of Asheville) due to the landslides if I tried. I've already had to postpone my beach trip this year due to the tropical cyclone that swamped the coast. NC has taken a beating in the last 30 days and has made me want to reevaluate my preps. Communications like ham or 2-way radio, water, and power backups seems to be of utmost importance when the tech infrastructure fails.
Amen. A supply of food too, canned or whatever you need. And maybe a Starlink kit? Apparently it's around $100 for one.

AP reports the death toll from Helene has shot up to 121, and that another 600 people are "missing."

Youtubers who live in and around Asheville say the city is destroyed, and that nothing even remotely like it has ever happened there before.

Last edited:
Amen. A supply of food too, canned or whatever you need. And maybe a Starlink kit? Apparently it's around $100 for one.

AP reports the death toll from Helene has shot up to 121, and that another 600 people are "missing."

Youtubers who live in and around Asheville say the city is destroyed, and that nothing even remotely like it has ever happened there before.
As of today, October 4th, the death toll from Hurricane Helene, as reported in MSM, is 215, with "half those deaths occurring in western North Carolina."

The NY Post reports that this makes Helene the deadliest hurricane since Katrina in 2005, and that the storm dumped an incredible 40 trillion gallons of water.

This would make Helene the 17th deadliest hurricane in the US, according to this table.

Between MSM reports that "hundreds" are still missing, and social media reports that "thousands" are, this event could yet enter the top 10 deadliest hurricanes in US history.

Back
Top Bottom