Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I'm a bit confused as to why people are incredulous when we have had this information already for years. I think it is partly the authority which Kenny projects but then fails to be impeccable in providing corroboration.
People who have a high toxic load and/or who are very diseased are advised to start with basics - dietary and lifestyle changes plus well tolerated detox protocols such as vitamins and Far Infrared Sauna. I remember that even the main forums for iodine research recommended in the books quoted above suggested "prepping up for iodine" after a year or so.
It shouldn't be taken in certain small amounts which people usually start from.
most people, even without supplementation have selenium in excess
Between ignoring Gaby's extensive experience and dumping on selenium contrary to Brownstein and other doctors, I think he is more likely to hurt people than help.

Using your own logic, since iodine is such a good detox, 100 times better than vitamin C, then the mega high iodine doses that you advocate would detox any and all selenium levels that are too high.
Not better. Iodine and vitamine C are different compounds. You cannot tell, one of them is better. I wrote that Iodine is over 100 times stronger antioxidant, so we could tell, that iodine works the same (as an antioxidant) when dose is 100 lower than vitamine C, but the processes are also different, so we can't say even that. And yes, high doses of Iodine seem to correct too high levels of selenium, although I would tell that the metabolism is more effective, that's why body can detox faster.
It should be noted, that even without selenium supplementation and high iodine doses, too high selenium levels drop very slow. Maybe about 10% a year.

Last edited:
I use lugols iodie @ 5%, so approx 6.25mg/drop. I have been doing 16 drops /day (100mg) I only got the lump when I went up to 200-300mg. Unless my lugols iodine is not 5% (although sold as that) but maybe 3%? I don't know how to test for the % iodine.
I have a recipe for making iodine, and have made it in the past, maybe I could make some 5% (or make 12%) lugols.
Would you tell me what "making USG" is?
I'm sorry, USG stands for ultrasonography, but in US more popular name is just medical ultrasound.
Everything indicates that you have weaker solution. It would fit perfectly if you had 1% solution, sold as 3%, since some producers add iodine and iodide amount. Then it would mean you have lump at doses 40-60 mg, and when using 20 mg you don't. So you should double the dose, or just buy Iodide Potassium and Iodine, and make Lugol solution yourself.

I did some backgrounding on you and your claims, and it seemed worthwhile to give an increased dose a try. It's been about two hours after drinking a 100 mg glass of red water, and I'm definitely feeling it. I'll see how it goes.
Cheers!

Pretty sure it won't kill you ;) Not so sure about your little critters feeding on you...

Between ignoring Gaby's extensive experience and dumping on selenium contrary to Brownstein and other doctors, I think he is more likely to hurt people than help.
You think, reason, or believe?
I'm not ignoring Gaby's experience, but I also know a lot, and thanks to it I know how often people just may be wrong whole they life with some details, by not checking multiple sources, or even knowing a lot, they feel like they know nothing. Thanks to Gaby starting this thread, I learned (mostly from Gaby's links on beginning of the thread) how the Iodine is important, how works, and finally, this knowledge healed me from my 25 years chronic spine pain. When I was 33 I couldn't practically run, even if, it was great effort and pain. Now, 13 years later, I can run, jump, everything is ok with my spine. I just had to thank Gaby she gave my youth back, so don't make so wrong innuendos.
And when I first took Iodine, I took about 60 mg. It helped completely after 15 minutes, but the dose was low, so after two hours the pain was back. Then I drinked about 120 mg, it helped for a whole day. So 180 mg in my case was 1st day dose, and from what I described, I reason it was close to minimum effective dose. Thanks to what I know now, I suppose dose lower than 40 mg probably wouldn't help me at all, maybe even worsened the condition.

I think it is partly the authority which Kenny projects but then fails to be impeccable in providing corroboration.
Perhaps the idea is to take large doses to knock out the critters and then slow down later if the effects are too harsh?

There are no too harsh effects when using high doses. Somebody can detox strongly from heavy metals, mostly mercury, but it is much better, than keeping this mercury in the body. I hadn't good condition to provide with sources, although I wrote about them.
Tell me precisely what corroboration you need, and I'll try to provide adequate sources, although some of them I cannot find, although looking for. For example, I read scientific papers about body making thyroid hormones without hormones when doses is 1300 mg iodine daily or more, but I cannot find it now.

It might be the case that individual needs vary among people. I know of people who heal their thyroid with high doses, others had nothing but problems. Knowing what we know about how genetics interact with the environment, I wouldn't discard an individual response to iodine depending on genetics and even ethnicity. Some people have thiamine issues which leaves them at risk of developing disautonomia from carbs and vaccines, others find certain antibiotics such as fluoroquinolones the only thing that helped them with a certain infection while most people find them deadly (especially Caucasians).

I'm sorry, USG stands for ultrasonography, but in US more popular name is just medical ultrasound.
Everything indicates that you have weaker solution. It would fit perfectly if you had 1% solution, sold as 3%, since some producers add iodine and iodide amount. Then it would mean you have lump at doses 40-60 mg, and when using 20 mg you don't. So you should double the dose, or just buy Iodide Potassium and Iodine, and make Lugol solution yourself.

Lugol's is a combination of Iodine and Iodide so I guess it needs to be clarified if the dose should be based on one or both.

J. Crow Lugol's Help:
Calculating Number of MG's of Iodine and Iodide per Drop of J.CROW'S® Lugol's Solution: 5%: Each VERTICAL "metric" drop (= 1/20ml) is approximately 2.5 mg of iodine and 5mg of potassium iodide. The Iodide portion of Potassium Iodide is about 75% so that is 3.75mg. Therefore the total Iodine plus Iodide is 2.5 + 3.75 = 6.25mg and 2 drops is about 12.50 mg's of iodine/iodide (5.0 mg iodine, 7.50 mg iodide).

Calculating Number of MG's of Iodine and Iodide per Drop of J.CROW'S® Lugol's Solution:2%: Each VERTICAL "metric" drop (= 1/20ml) is approximately1.0 mg of iodine and 2.0 mg of potassium iodide. The Iodide portion of Potassium Iodide is about 75% so that is 1.5 mg. Therefore the total Iodine plus Iodide is 1.0 + 1.5 = 2.5 mg and 2 drops is about 5.0 mg's of iodine/iodide (2.0 mg iodine, 3.0 mg iodide).

Short of antibiotics I think Iodine is amazing.

I had also a scientific research that showed Iodine is the best (strongest and without negative side effects) antibiotic known to man. I even shared it on my group, and I can't find it now. But I found that, quite unexpectedly:

where we can read:

"With selenium, which is a trace element, it may be the case that a little bit is essential, but more can cause detrimental effects, at least in well-nourished populations such as the U.S. It's possible that taking extra selenium overcomes the natural balance. Perhaps excess selenium has a negative effect on the endocrine system."

It might be the case that individual needs vary among people. I know of people who heal their thyroid with high doses, others had nothing but problems.

Thanks to experiences members of my group, I'm quite sure, the more problems with using iodine the more it is essential for healing. Problems, especially at high doses, may last few days, maybe week or two. And then everything starts to heal end get better. Iodine releases mercury, probably in form of mercury iodide, which LD 50 is about a 1000 mg. When I started doses about 400 mg, my kidneys hurt a bit, for two weeks or so, but then, everything was better, and I could even use few doses above 1000 mg a day. Now I can use such doses, when something's wrong, fe. that wasp bite that could literally kill me, when I think of it now.

I had also a scientific research that showed Iodine is the best (strongest and without negative side effects) antibiotic known to man. I even shared it on my group, and I can't find it now. But I found that, quite unexpectedly:

where we can read:

"With selenium, which is a trace element, it may be the case that a little bit is essential, but more can cause detrimental effects, at least in well-nourished populations such as the U.S. It's possible that taking extra selenium overcomes the natural balance. Perhaps excess selenium has a negative effect on the endocrine system."

@Kenny McCormick ,

I was taking 200 mcg of Selenium daily but now every other day which would be 100 mcg as a daily average.

The article is definitely something to consider.

The selenium and diabetes study involved 1,202 people who did not have type 2 diabetes when they entered the cancer clinical trial at Roswell Park. Participants had been recruited for the main study between 1983 and 1991, and they were involved for an average of 7.7 years. The supplementation study was completed in February 1996.

I just wonder if the diets of that group was a contributing factor. Also the Iodine probably depletes some of the selenium and that may be why Brownstein recommended the supplement?

Lugol's is a combination of Iodine and Iodide so I guess it needs to be clarified if the dose should be based on one or both.

J. Crow Lugol's Help:

I made an spreadsheet calculating among others precisely amount of iodine in one drop, when you type in the amount of iodine and potassium iodide in solution. When stronger solutions, the solution volume is increasing in comparison to used water, but it is few percent only, so we can ignore it. Other important question is fact, that some people's equipment makes smaller drops :) 1/30 of 1 ml, instead of 1/20, then there is only 4,1 mg of iodine in one drop. The perfect would be if one before using try to weight 20 drops in order to be sure it is for example precisely 1 gram.

Attachments

• Iodine.xls
    49.5 KB · Views: 18
@Kenny McCormick ,
I just wonder if the diets of that group was a contributing factor. Also the Iodine probably depletes some of the selenium and that may be why Brownstein recommended the supplement?
Maybe Brownstein saw it in equations, but didn't considered it is recycled?
Maybe Brownstein practiced on a rare area, where selenium is really low, so people had often low selenium levels?
Maybe Brownstein was misinformed by research suggesting that selenium is miracle cure, not iodine? I've seen few such papers, when researchers fed patients with algae rich in iodine and selenium, and contributed healing properties to selenium instead of iodine.
Maybe Brownstein is kind of damage control in field of iodine (Why Brownstein did use in his practice doses over 300 mg and in his book recomended doses up to 50 mg?)
Maybe he wasn't quite independent in his wrtiting?
Maybe his books were censored or edited by the some influent powers?
There is too much problems with this world, and with humans too, that we have to think about multiple possibilities and use multiple sources. And own experience is one of better arguments, not anegdotical. Word "expert" comes from "experience", not from "reading one book or two".

Back
Top Bottom