Is China Preparing a 'Special Military Operation' In Taiwan?

It’s been quite interesting observing from the Taiwan side. No one I know may they be Taiwanese or lib foreigners posted on social media anything about the incident, radio silence.

I’m not sure if it’s the usual numbness and wishful thinking that China won’t invade just yet but it really was a non event from this perspective.

Though I think this time things will heat up, starting with economic “sanctions” like banning more Taiwanese imports. But even that has become a norm, China bans pineapple so everyone local buys up the pineapple supply, China bans a type of fish so everyone goes out and buys more fish.

It’s ridiculous until it’s not and the wishful thinking of living in a bubble reality pops. It’s like playing make believe, that just wishes and hopes will make the one bully protect them from the other bully. And yes they’re not really being bullied but it’s their perception and their wishful thinking that the US who is a notorious worldwide bully will magically transform into their knight.

It’s a great lesson in the nature of wishful thinking and how it blinds and most likely will destroy.

Pelosi has left already, for South Korea.

But the damage has been done. Lots of economic decisions announced already by China. Mostly affecting Taiwan directly, but some the US. They continue to play their patient game and show military force while exercising restraint. Large exercises and drills could still lead to a military situation, of course, but I think they are smart enough to wait for the economic situation in the West to do the heavy lifting.

It’s been quite interesting observing from the Taiwan side. No one I know may they be Taiwanese or lib foreigners posted on social media anything about the incident, radio silence.

I’m not sure if it’s the usual numbness and wishful thinking that China won’t invade just yet but it really was a non event from this perspective.
Yeah I get the impression that the Taiwanese are "apolitical". If you take both the video of the Taiwanese cheering for Pelosi and the video of the SOTT article of the Taiwanese protesting against Pelosi, there are barely a couple of dozen people in both videos.

Nice analyse from the Saker :

The conclusion is well adapted :
I think that Nancy Pelosi deserves our profound gratitude. She should get at least two medals:
  • One from the CP of China in gratitude for her endless efforts to rally the people of China around their government and
  • One from Russia, for her endless efforts into solidifying the Russian-Chinese alliance.
Truth be told, between Bliken and Pelosi the national security interests of China and Russia are in good hands :-)

Scenario one: They are deranged toddlers destroying world harmony.

Scenario two: They want to take down Europe and North America and have someone to blame it on.

There is some truth to scenario one, but two looks more likely.

China drew a red line clearly in front of the world. The US needlessly crossed it and threw down the gauntlet for all the world governments to see. I think that leave China free to choose their own timing now.

(Also, a possibility that China and the US are in cahoots with this)

Meanwhile the show goes on…

20+ PLA Jets Cross Median Line Over Taiwan Strait As Chinese Drills Encircle Island​

"Update(9:57ET): Less than a half-day after Nancy Pelosi's departure from Taiwan on a US Air Force plane, a large group of 27 Chinese PLA planes breached Taiwan's air defense identification zone Wednesday, crucially with at least 22 of the aircraft reported as having crossed the Taiwan Strait "median line".

"Global Times declared that Beijing now views the median line has having ceased to exist."

"The exercises are unprecedented as the PLA conventional missiles are expected to fly over the island of Taiwan for the first time, the PLA forces will enter area within 12 nautical miles of the island and that the so-called median line will cease to exist," the publication wrote while detailing the next phase of PLA drills to surround the island."

"To review of the latest via Chinese media outlet Global Times:

• The PLA drills around Taiwan island are unprecedented
  • conventional missiles are expected to fly over the island for the 1st time
  • PLA forces will enter area within 12 nautical miles to the island
  • "median line" ceases to exist"

Article below:

Pelosi Arrives In Seoul, But South Korea's President Won't Meet With Her​

"so that Seoul can avoid bringing down China's wrath. Even Foreign Minister Park Jin happens to be out of the country - so there will be no Pelosi meeting with the nation's top diplomat either."

Story below:

An article suggesting that there is a power struggle in China and an attempt by big business to replace President Xi with Li Keqiang.

I’ve been hearing (although nothing can be proven) that Xi Jinping is being challenged for permanent power by the business side of the CCP who are more financially centered. Like our business class, China has a large corporate group that is more focused on making money than on their country itself. They are centered in Shanghai and other industrialized areas and are opposing Xi’s permanent reinstatement as premier at the upcoming CCP Congress this fall.

The crux of the issue is that The US is pushing Pelosi to visit Taiwan tomorrow to show our resolve in standing up to XI. But what they fail to realize is that XI (if he is being challenged for power at home) may see it in his interest to have a confrontation. A military event will allow him to consolidate all his power against the China business class as a national emergency. It also deflects from the mortgage crises currently happening due to overbuilding via pyramid schemes in China. It will allow him total control of his enemies at home.

China and Russia surely must realise America would much rather plunge the world into nuclear apocalypse if it doesn't remain the no.1 in the world. I dare say they are crazy enough to start a WW3 in the hopes that when it's all said and done, they will come out on top.
I don't think so. The US doesn't want a war with China or Russia. They're just interested in posturing and using proxies to destabilize their competition.
I think the US establishment is using the Ukrainian and Taiwanese crises as covers and distractions from the fact that they're running their economy into a recession.

Even if China invades Taiwan, the US will merely do the same thing that they've done with Ukraine. Send money and weapons and bleat unceasingly about standing with Taiwan.
I think the Chinese also want to keep doing business, so they would hopefully not attempt to attack any US warships.

I don't think we're looking at any large scale wars in the near to mid future.

I don't even think that there will be any massive economic catastrophe. Probably just something on the scale of 2008, and that's probably going to take awhile to materialize.

On the other hand, who knows what nature has in store.

“"After reunification, we are going to do re-education", says the Chinese ambassador to France, on French TV”

It’s interesting that in the comments that the tankies and Chinese commentators are all convinced that Taiwanese authorities have been brainwashing Taiwanese to hate China.

In 15 years of living here I’ve never met a Taiwanese person say they hate China. In fact I’ve heard many say they love China, many of my students go there often on vacation and their parents have business there. There is a big difference in not wanting to join communist China vs hating China the country, it’s culture and it’s people. It’s their own culture and heritage after all.

But if they threaten to shoot missiles over Taiwan and to “re-educate” Taiwanese this will surely change hearts, not to the positive.

In fact my partner was recently in the park and an old guy sitting on a bench randomly shouted at my partner “I hate China” in English. That was a shock, especially since our town is Hakka, staunchly pro-KMT which is usually pro-China. And of course usually the older generation is more pro-China.

Taiwanese already endured so much under both the Japanese and the KMTs White Terror regime, both already tried “re-education”.

Which is why I find the comparisons on here of people equating Taiwan with Ukraine odd. Sure, there is similarity in China/Russia wanting to protect their borders from a meddling US/western influence and rightfully so. However Taiwan doesn’t have Nazis terrorizing Chinese speaking people. Could you ever imagine Putin proposing to “re-educate” Ukrainian people? Instead he wants Ukraine to be a neutral state. China will never allow that for Taiwan, the status quo was as close as it got. Unfortunately Taiwanese authorities have completely ruined any “hopes” for a continuation of the status quo with their current antics.

What’s incredibly sad is that only the rich elites from places like Taipei will be able to escape. Majority of people will not be able to choose to leave a war zone since it’s an island and if they want “re-education”. At least in Ukraine people could flee to the borders. And yet I don’t know any Taiwanese with intentions to relocate who have the means to do so, once again wishful thinking strikes. It reminds me of my family and friends in South Africa, most of whom who live in KZN where those crazy riots and looting occurred. No one has left, just wishful thinking that next time won’t be far far worse.

I keep wondering if all of this is just karma for evil committed in past lives (Atlantis etc.). And if so, then when will the current evil PTB get their due? My stupid wishful thinking that I’ve personally had to confront is my hopes that the comets would come before I have to choose between living in a dystopian SA or under Chinese occupation.

An analogy of wishful thinking that describes this situation is a tsunami. When you’re in the wishful thinking phase, you perceive the shoreline where the ocean has receded as “peaceful” and picturesque but in fact once the wishful thinking has been banished from your vision you see that the picturesque shoreline is an illusion, the truth is there is a giant wave looming over you that you willfully chose not to see and it will crash upon you, no amount of hopes can stop the inevitable. Maybe it is only faith that helps one confront that wave and why I continue to question what is faith, not because I’m being obtuse but because I know therein lies the answer to true peace.

I apologize for my subjective rambling and it’s probably better suited to a thread in the swamp department which I will try to collect my thoughts for.

“"After reunification, we are going to do re-education", says the Chinese ambassador to France, on French TV”

It’s interesting that in the comments that the tankies and Chinese commentators are all convinced that Taiwanese authorities have been brainwashing Taiwanese to hate China.

In 15 years of living here I’ve never met a Taiwanese person say they hate China. In fact I’ve heard many say they love China, many of my students go there often on vacation and their parents have business there. There is a big difference in not wanting to join communist China vs hating China the country, it’s culture and it’s people. It’s their own culture and heritage after all.

But if they threaten to shoot missiles over Taiwan and to “re-educate” Taiwanese this will surely change hearts, not to the positive.

In fact my partner was recently in the park and an old guy sitting on a bench randomly shouted at my partner “I hate China” in English. That was a shock, especially since our town is Hakka, staunchly pro-KMT which is usually pro-China. And of course usually the older generation is more pro-China.

Taiwanese already endured so much under both the Japanese and the KMTs White Terror regime, both already tried “re-education”.

Which is why I find the comparisons on here of people equating Taiwan with Ukraine odd. Sure, there is similarity in China/Russia wanting to protect their borders from a meddling US/western influence and rightfully so. However Taiwan doesn’t have Nazis terrorizing Chinese speaking people. Could you ever imagine Putin proposing to “re-educate” Ukrainian people? Instead he wants Ukraine to be a neutral state. China will never allow that for Taiwan, the status quo was as close as it got. Unfortunately Taiwanese authorities have completely ruined any “hopes” for a continuation of the status quo with their current antics.

What’s incredibly sad is that only the rich elites from places like Taipei will be able to escape. Majority of people will not be able to choose to leave a war zone since it’s an island and if they want “re-education”. At least in Ukraine people could flee to the borders. And yet I don’t know any Taiwanese with intentions to relocate who have the means to do so, once again wishful thinking strikes. It reminds me of my family and friends in South Africa, most of whom who live in KZN where those crazy riots and looting occurred. No one has left, just wishful thinking that next time won’t be far far worse.

I keep wondering if all of this is just karma for evil committed in past lives (Atlantis etc.). And if so, then when will the current evil PTB get their due? My stupid wishful thinking that I’ve personally had to confront is my hopes that the comets would come before I have to choose between living in a dystopian SA or under Chinese occupation.

An analogy of wishful thinking that describes this situation is a tsunami. When you’re in the wishful thinking phase, you perceive the shoreline where the ocean has receded as “peaceful” and picturesque but in fact once the wishful thinking has been banished from your vision you see that the picturesque shoreline is an illusion, the truth is there is a giant wave looming over you that you willfully chose not to see and it will crash upon you, no amount of hopes can stop the inevitable. Maybe it is only faith that helps one confront that wave and why I continue to question what is faith, not because I’m being obtuse but because I know therein lies the answer to true peace.

I apologize for my subjective rambling and it’s probably better suited to a thread in the swamp department which I will try to collect my thoughts for.
I don't think China will invade Taiwan because as you say, there is no NAZI regime there. In the unlikely chance they even invaded, it'll likely be so precise as to only target the government leaving the infrastructure and people in tact. It's unlikely to happen though.

I think from China's perspective you have to think that they have to come across "tough" in rhetoric to the international audience. It sounds like very few in Taiwan actually hate China, so what is reeducation about? What does that even mean in practice? You'll be forced to attend a mandatory class and at the end do a test? 😂

Don't let fear of China cloud your mind I would say. 😊

Back
Top Bottom