Is drinking coffee okay while fasting.

Thank you Altair for the question and Gaby for the answer; it encourages me to undergo some fasting. I gave the idea up when I've read that one musn't drink anything. As always, reading, searching and sharing are important. I'll never be enough grateful to this forum.

Edit: Altair, stimulating BDN and NGF, brain positive factors, in association to neuro-training or light therapy could be interesting, I guess. Will try it !

Last edited:
Thank you, Gaby! And yes, Rhonda Patrick herself mentioned in one of the podcasts that the fasting can still be beneficial of one breaks it 2 days a week (but not more often).

By the Law of Diminishing Returns (beyond a certain point, cost increases at a higher rate than benefit does). you should be able to get most of the benefit of fasting every day just by going nearly a day (say, breakfast to breakfast or dinner to dinner) one day a week. Even fasting that frequently would only be necessary if you need to improve insulin sensitivity. If you are only after autophagy, fasting even less often would probably give most of the benefit of restricting the feeding window every day.

I mention this because the idea you have to be so strict or don't bother may prevent some people from trying it and finding out how much benefit they can get. (I actually think it's not just better than never fasting, but essential to really be healthy.)

Diminishing returns - Wikipedia

(80/20 rule is a specific example of the law of diminishing returns.)

Thank you all for the info. It help me (if useful coffee when fasting); over 80% of day I am doing 8hr/16hr protocol and (with aprox 4 day fast, occasionally). I like black coffee (2 teaspoons per cup, boiled) and after reading the posts, I decided no coffee for the next over 2 days fast. For now keep drinking aprox 2 times per day :D

Fasting has a personal aspect. We all have unique genetics, body and blood types. But there is a tendency to look for hard and fast rules: what’s THE right way. But how often is what is right for one not right for all?

So I think it is necessary to gain knowledge and then make your own choices. Experiment a little. Discover what works for you.

Furthermore, at different times I have done different types and durations of fasts. Given that there is usually an initial toxic dump which can result in headaches, I have at times continued drinking some coffee until that first 2 or 3 days is done.

Not to mention coffee enemas which are also metabolically stimulating along with being cleansing.

There is not one way that is optimal for everyone. Gain knowledge; use some intuition; search your feelings/listen to your body; consider your goal in fasting; and gain experience at it; then modify as needed.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom