Is it too late to start a university degree? And is there any point?

I'm not sure how things work in the UK, but one way health practitioners in Canada would get clients would be to work part-time in a health food store. It might seem like it's not a good utilization of your skills, like you're over-qualified, but it puts you face to face with the public in a one on one situation many times per day. Recommending supplements or protocols gives people an idea of where you're coming from and often leads them to recognize your valuable knowledge. It's a small percentage of people who will actually be looking for a practitioner and will be interested in your services, but if it's a busy shop, that small percentage can actually translate to a lot of clients.

Maybe a variation on this would be to use health food stores to advertise your talks. I like the idea of you giving public talks. So advertising the HF stores seems like a good idea, lots of people there obviously interested in nutrition.

You've done really well and I'm pretty sure if you keep testing various approaches you'll soon find the right one.

Well thank you everyone for your support and encouragement! It is hopeful to hear that I am on the right track with this.
I'm not sure how things work in the UK, but one way health practitioners in Canada would get clients would be to work part-time in a health food store.
I know some practitioners who give a talk once a month at a health food store. They aren't working there, but the fact that they are there on a regular basis makes it so that a lot of people interested in getting supplements (and their health together) participate.
Joe said:
Maybe a variation on this would be to use health food stores to advertise your talks. I like the idea of you giving public talks. So advertising the HF stores seems like a good idea, lots of people there obviously interested in nutrition.
This is something I am in the process of doing. I have a talk next week at a local supplement/aromatherapy centre to people with fibromyalgia. The establishment runs treatment/education days regularly for different conditions, and holds free massage, reflexology, drop-in sessions, and educational talks for people with that illness. I introduced myself a few weeks ago, and the manage asked me to come and give a lecture to the people with fibromyalgia on what they can do about their condition. I think this could be a very fruitful avenue, because this centre has quite a lot of connections with people who are interested in alternative health in the local area. So if the talk goes well, I may have some clients and also am hoping to establish a relationship with the owner of the shop/center.

Maybe then I could organise "treatment days" for other conditions which I am interested in such as metabolic dysfunction, autism, diabetes, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Hopefully I can educate people on ancestral nutrition and ketogenic application.

The lady also sells supplements, although doesn't have much knowledge in this area. I think that if I can gain her trust and build a relationship with her, she may welcome some advice about supplements and could potentially stock some of the higher-professional quality brands which I typically would recommend to clients. This would cut out the middle man (the websites I tell my clients to buy from), and would benefit her business by providing profit.

luc said:
FWIW, in Germany, when you're unemployed and are entitled to benefits, there are some funds you can apply for to start your own business. That's how we did it when we started out - 6 months of our basic expenses were covered so we could focus on getting clients and the like. Maybe there are similar programs in the UK, either from government agencies or private programs? Just an idea.
From what I have found so far, there doesn't seem to be much support in this regard. I will seek advice from local agencies though just to make sure.
luc said:
If your goal is to make a living as soon as possible, then I think you need "multipliers", i.e. institutions and individuals who are sending you a constant stream of referrals. Doing presentations and the like seems like an excellent way. I wouldn't worry about offering your services directly too much at such events, it's enough if people get that they can book you, but I guess that's part of your bio/introduction at such presentations anyway. What I found to be hugely important with business networking is the social aspect - little small talks over the phone or in person, hanging around a little after a presentation to talk to some people (and listen to them!) etc. When they are comfortable with/around you, they are much more likely to recommend you, regardless even of the quality of your work!
Thanks for this advice. This is certainly something to keep in mind whilst giving the talks. I designed the presentation so that it was not based on my services per se, but rather on basic recommendation that anyone can apply to their life. I will briefly drop in the option of functional medicine and testing for complex cases, but will not make my service the sole focus. I also have allocated 10-15 minutes at the end of the talk for questions and answers, where I can hopefully clear up any confusion or answer questions directly relating to each specific case. Then sticking around after to properly introduce myself should help as well.

luc said:
Another idea would be to start a youtube channel and do a short presentation/introduction or something - in the long run, I think having some great video content could help with raising your profile, it seems video is where it's at these days. In the short term, having at least one video somewhere might help with securing presentations. If you thought about inviting someone for a presentation, what would be the first thing you would do? Right, check youtube to see what the guy is like and whether it's a good idea to invite him... FWIW.
Gaby said:
If people prefer talks, perhaps some of them can be filmed and you can later upload them on youtube. You'll know if youtube videos are more viable for potential clients than posts fairly quickly. I think people like how you explain things. I know I do, it's like listening to a most interesting documentary with the accent of David Attenborough ;) Just an idea!
Interestingly enough, my dad also recommended doing this. I actually just purchased a projector and a screen, so this is something I could think about putting together. The only issue is sound quality and video quality, which would probably be quite poor.

I do really enjoy giving talks and lecturing. In fact, I think I enjoy being the centre of attention and hearing the sound of my own voice a little too much. The thought of doing video lectures was something that I considered before, but then wondered whether this would further reinforce the above tendencies, and perhaps fall under the category of "wiseacreing".

Thanks Keyhole for sharing your updates with us! It's good to hear things are going well in your end, the idea of the lectures IMO is excellent, cause people will be able to have better understandings about nutrition and the other topics you cover. I think it's great cause the word will spread out and then you will be able to get more clients.
Thanks, Marina. It is amazing how easy it is to forget that most people know practically nothing about these topics. Reading it everyday in books, online, on SOTT, on FB, in nutritional circles, and on the forum, it just becomes normalised. Yet, when I get the chance to educate people on it, it is brand new information for them. What is even more surprising is that I am the only person in my area who does what I do.

I think it ties in with the C's quote about not missing the gems between the cracks in the pavement. Take stock of where you are and what you've achieved. The 'worst' that could happen?: That you'll always remain at the level you're at in terms of clients and activities, doing talks, promoting yourself. And that'd be great, right? Because you do all this because it's what you love and it's what's in you to do: "pursuing what is meaningful".

It sounds to me like you're going about everything just right, and if you keep doing what you're doing, working hard towards an aim but remembering you've got yourself to this wonderful new reality that you built and moved into, and appreciating that at the same time, you can't go wrong.
Well, from what I can see the worst that could happen is that I become stagnant financially and I don't bring in any money and can't contribute fully towards the rent and bills. This is causing me some angst right now, because it is a very real possibility in the next 4 weeks if I do not bring in any clients. I naively did not plan for the potential scenario where I would not be bringing in clients, and just assumed that I would "walk-in" to a place where I would start work immediately. This means that I may need to get a part-time or full-time job, which I have not even considered fully until now. I am currently doing some part-time work which will help to cover some expenses, although it is not sufficient to last for long.

But overall, I think I see where you are coming from. I need to keep up the momentum, and at the same time acknowledge that all previous efforts led to this point - which is GOOD. It is certainly in a better place than I was 4 years ago, and almost like a different reality. It reminds me of this quote from Laura at the start of the thread:

Laura said:
I would strongly encourage you to do what you feel is good for you AND the future. Giving up and giving in is not what we are about and if you have watched the Knowledge and Being videos, you'll know that you might end up in a different reality not only by taking certain steps, but where those steps lead to a different reality in and of themselves (if that makes sense).

FWIW, a huge congratulations, Keyhole! The progress you have made is inspiring and it is wonderful how you have shared your journey with us. The Universe is definitely listening and responding. Thank you and keep us posted! :flowers: :hug2:

In Scotland, we have a place called Business Gateway which gives excellent advice for new and small businesses. Perhaps there is somewhere like that near you? You could also check out the .gov site which lists all the places that give out grants and help for small businesses. Finance and support for your business - GOV.UK

Going through health food shops is a great idea. You could also make up posters and pin them in those shops, yoga studios, local community hubs/creative spaces. You may want to think about working under a well-known health centre for a while if you can. For example, where I work we have a nutritionist who is advertised on the health centre's well-established website. She gets clients through her own website and through the centre's site. Then she only pays a percentage of her fee to rent the room for a couple of hours when she has a client.

Sorry for the hundreds of questions but here are some suggestions:

Are there any directories that you can list your name under? Do you qualify to list what you do on Therapy Directory (UK site for listing professional therapists)? Could you add your business to Treatwell (Popular UK site for booking therapy appointments)? How is your website's SEO (search engine optimisation); can people find you on Google? Have you thought about doing a give away on Instagram for when you reach so many followers you can do a free consultation?

Hopefully some of this helps. Congratulations on doing so well, it seems like you are learning a lot! Be mindful not to spread yourself too thin though. If business picks up it may be difficult to keep on top of study, work and forum related things so be kind to yourself as you move forward. I wish you all the best :)

Many congratulations Keyhole. Reading your posts over the years and following your progress is really inspiring. Keep up the good Work. :rockon::hug2:

I do really enjoy giving talks and lecturing. In fact, I think I enjoy being the centre of attention and hearing the sound of my own voice a little too much. The thought of doing video lectures was something that I considered before, but then wondered whether this would further reinforce the above tendencies, and perhaps fall under the category of "wiseacreing".

I think that given you have an awareness of such tendencies and a willingness to network you will be fine. You have a very engaging and enthusiastic personality, which combined with the knowledge you have, means giving talks and lecturing seems a natural, beneficial and joyful form of expression for you. Have fun :-)

But overall, I think I see where you are coming from. I need to keep up the momentum, and at the same time acknowledge that all previous efforts led to this point - which is GOOD. It is certainly in a better place than I was 4 years ago, and almost like a different reality.

An interesting observation and indicative perhaps of the challenges and doubts you have faced and overcome by asking for and heeding good advice and then applying considerable efforts - BEing and DOing.

This vid came up in my YouTube feed today and I thought about your situation, Keyhole. For me, I think this guy's story is an example of reality creation in the vein of having passion, working hard and making connections, following your gut and not anticipating. It worked for me when I moved to a new town and got out and met people and made connections, networked. That's kind of why I resonated with what you wrote when you said you were going to start doing talks because it's the same as me being on stage.

Notice in the video that a lot of the new enterprises and opportunities and ventures that happened for this guy just sort of came out of the blue, not things he'd expected or anticipated, but he went with his gut and thought "What's the worst that can happen?" And that same question can also aid in not holding onto something that already is - for example, when I left my home town for somewhere new where I didn't know anyone; and knowing that I was going to be really struggling for money (I literally lived on packet noodles with an egg cracked into them for months while I was playing gigs where buffet tables full of food were being emptied into binbags by venue staff at the end of the night). But I didn't care that I was broke, because I was doing what mattered to me and what I was passionate about, and it payed off in the end. I'm now a well established performer and teacher and I'm still in demand. I didn't know this was what was going to happen, but I got here in a similar manner to the guy in this vid, and I think you're at what Gurdjieff would have called an 'interval' at the moment, and I'm just saying don't panic: just keep doing what you're doing and your new octave will start if you keep an open mind and keep at it.

Congrats, Keyhole! I think that starting own Youtube channel as luc suggested might be a good idea to attract new clients and we can be your first subscribers;-) and help to share the videos.

Good luck!

Reactions: SMM
Hey Keyhole, fIrst of all CONGRATULATIONS!! :clap::cheer::bacon: I'm really glad your hard work and studying has paid off and you're fully qualified now. I'm also glad to see you're interested in continuously expanding your knoweldge in this area - it certainly is for your benefit as much as ours! :thup:

FWIW, in Germany, when you're unemployed and are entitled to benefits, there are some funds you can apply for to start your own business. That's how we did it when we started out - 6 months of our basic expenses were covered so we could focus on getting clients and the like. Maybe there are similar programs in the UK, either from government agencies or private programs? Just an idea.
From what I have found so far, there doesn't seem to be much support in this regard. I will seek advice from local agencies though just to make sure.

Actually there is a government loan you could consider but unlike in other countries the money would have to be returned:

Apply for a Start Up Loan for your business

You could have a look at other funding options and grants here:

https://www.sage.com/en-gb/blog/government-grants-for-small-businesses/

It would be best to start generating income without investing first, at the end of the day your studies were already an investment, but I thought I'd share the links in case you come up with an idea that may require financial resources you don't have.

Well, from what I can see the worst that could happen is that I become stagnant financially and I don't bring in any money and can't contribute fully towards the rent and bills. This is causing me some angst right now, because it is a very real possibility in the next 4 weeks if I do not bring in any clients. I naively did not plan for the potential scenario where I would not be bringing in clients, and just assumed that I would "walk-in" to a place where I would start work immediately. This means that I may need to get a part-time or full-time job, which I have not even considered fully until now. I am currently doing some part-time work which will help to cover some expenses, although it is not sufficient to last for long.

I was wondering if you checked how much experienced practitioners in your field charge in your area? If a potential client has an option to pay the same amount of money for a consultation with an established and popular practitioner and someone who is just getting started - they'll often go for the person with more experience.

Pricing yourself competitively (yet not cheap becuase that could raise suspicions about quality) may help you get started. If you've ever purchased anything on Amazon based on product reviews then you know how important testimonials are.

And if you don't generate as much money as you need straight away, maybe working with an established healthcare practice on part part time basis would be a good idea? They'd send clients to you and they'd take care of marketing side. You would have stable income and an opportunity to get testimonials and success stories behind your belt.

Fingers crossed it all goes very well!! :thup:

I agree with Gary here, don't worry too much and get it out there! What helps a lot in my experience if you get carried away during preparation and/or during your speech is to ask yourself: "in what way am I helping people with what I'm saying? How can I make a difference for them that helps at least some?" This thought tends to hold the temptation to wiseacre in check. It should never be about you, but for the people you are trying to educate/help. Other than that, I'd say don't hold yourself back!

As for YouTube quality, this is one thing you just have to start doing without too much perfectionism. It will be pretty bad at the beginning and it will take much time, but you'll get a lot better and faster very quickly. FWIW, I use an external Tascam recorder (pretty cheap) and a cheap but excellent lavalier mic (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009YCI62Y/). If you have a camera with a mic jack, you can also put a mic directly into it. Halfway decent sound is the most important thing IMO.

Something else you might want to consider are trade shows and health focused expos in your area. Maybe you could hire a small stand and give free talks on different subjects at set times. In between talks you mooch with the passersby, give out your brochures and generally network. Maybe if you contacted one of the suppliers of the high quality supplements you want to recommend they might let you coattail on their stand at one of these shows.

Hi Keyhole. Good on you man, I'm glad you followed your gut instincts and got the ball rolling. It was brave and wise. Congratulations and keep on keeping on.

I really liked what Laura wrote all those years ago - and think it still holds true today:

I would strongly encourage you to do what you feel is good for you AND the future. Giving up and giving in is not what we are about and if you have watched the Knowledge and Being videos, you'll know that you might end up in a different reality not only by taking certain steps, but where those steps lead to a different reality in and of themselves (if that makes sense).

To be a bit cheeky and maybe helpful, try exploring diverse potential target markets, too. For example, busy professionals with way too much to do at work - maybe busy travel schedules, and not nearly enough home cooking under their belts. They kinda know the latest nutritional trends and have heard all about low carb, keto and all that. It's fashionable nowadays and costs a fortune at restaurants.

But where to start on a consistent basis? And how to make those sorts of feeds at home? What should even go into them?

While travelling, are there any staple foods these busy go-getters could be on a look-out while travelling?

Haha, I am one of those people and know there are many others. Well, maybe I have had a bit more exposure but certainly appreciate a good piece of solid, concise advice.

Nowasays, plenty of companies are on a look-out for lifestyle enhancing training sessions that keep their employees happy. If you mainstream your advice and target the hipsters first, you could really hit a gold mine with such information.

Rock on.

Congrats Keyhole!

From what I have seen as a low-cost but effective promotional method, newsletters work very well. Collecting emails from your customers, your FB page and your webpage work. People still use email *a lot* and receiving exclusive content picked or written by you is a plus and promotes word-of-mouth, that is a very effective advertisement method too.

Hey Keyhole,

I don't know if you're still looking for ideas on how to attract clients but my housemate mentioned a very good event she went to on Saturday. It was targeted at nutrition therapists and students and it was focused on social media presence and marketing. Although she's not into nutrition, she went there to look for ideas for her own business - and she was really impressed with the content. I could ask her for some examples of topics covered or advice provided if it helps?

There's another one coming in November if this is something you're potentially interested in: FREE Marketing Workshop for Nutrition Professionals and Students

Here are other events for healthcare / nutrition professionals if you'd like to have a look: FREE Marketing Workshop for Nutrition Professionals and Students

Most of those events are London based which I guess may be a bit inconvenient. So I searched for the company on YouTube and they have a few videos up that may be of some use: zest4life nutrition - YouTube

Hope all going well on your end! :grad::thup:

Hi Keyhole!

Great to hear you have launched your entrepreneurial venture!

To get you in the entrepreneurial frame of mind, I would recommend you to read about “effectual entrepreneurship”. Sarasvathy’s research on entrepreneurs revealed a peculiar type of logic which is different than the traditional (causal) management thinking. She identified five principles of effectuation which are:

1) bird-in-hand principle
2) affordable loss principle
3) crazy quilt principle
4) lemonade principle
5) pilot-on-the-plane principle

I found the chapter describing these principles from her book entitled “Effectual Entrepreneurship” on Google books (The Nuts and Bolts of Venturing: Effectuation in Action). From reading this thread it seems you’ve picked up on this effectual/entrepreneurial thinking already, but FWIW, it may give you some more insight into the entrepreneurial mind.

Just to briefly summarize those principles of effectual entrepreneurship:

1) bird-in-hand principle – this means to start with what you have, who you know your skills, expertise, tools, competencies

2) affordable loss principle – this means to look at what you are able to lose, not at what you can potentially gain

3) crazy quilt principle – networking and forming partnerships: leveraging those you know and those your connected to your network, maybe some reciprocal/complementary collaboration can help making the sales

4) lemonade principle – dealing with surprises, meaning what you thought you would offer at the beginning might change somewhat based on what customers are willing to pay for, or what you can co-create with your network as a valuable service offering. The “making lemonade” when given a lemon idea.

5) pilot-on-the-plane principle – Co-create with others. This is being in control of your destiny so to speak. You are the one who makes things happen and is likely the main benefit of being an entrepreneur: you alone can affect the outcome (not like at a job where people feel somewhat helpless as they often feel they can not a affect the business/organization at all). Create services together with your network, taking control instead of predicting or reacting (‘controlling the controllable’ so to speak).

Back
Top Bottom