Is it too late to start a university degree? And is there any point?

I posted a new video with some more of the recommendations in mind:

Re lighting, I invested in a new lighting set up, like the ones that lainey suggested.

I also bought the microphone which monotonic linked to, and tried not to shout this time round.

Is the lighting better than before? And is the sound quality any improvement?

A good brand of thiamine? I would go for the lipothiamine or allithiamine made by cardiovascular research ltd, or ecological formulas ltd. Unfortunately, it will need to come from ebay, or you will need to ship it from the US - which can drive import fees. I am looking into other alternatives to see if it will be possible to distrubute from the UK, though. So there may be a UK supplier in the future!

I think it is generally better to cook anything in the oven, rather than frying it. The high temperatures are pretty detrimental for nutrients in food, and the temperature in the oven is not likely to reach the heat that you would get from a hot pan. However, this does NOT mean that I recommend oven cooking steaks :evil: - they should be barbecued or fried.

If you experience muscle wasting, you may do well to add in a third meal or properly track your calories through an online calorie calculator. It is easy to under eat on low carb/keto.

Are you sure Malate was recommended before sleep? Because Malate is a chelate with malic acid, which is a component of the Kreb's cycle in energy production, and is usually used to give someone energy.

The various forms of magnesium are basically elemental magnesium bound with a nutrient of some kind. Malate, as I said above is usually used to battle fatigue. Citrate provides citric acid, but can also be used as a laxative. Threonate is usually used to get magnesium into the central nervous system, whereas glycinate is calming and also has an inhibitory effect on the nervous system. The one to avoid is magnesium oxide, because of its poor bioavailability. Glycinate, threonate, or malate are generally the best absorbed.

Almond oil is likely not an issue since oxalic acid is very low in oils. In general, I would not be too concerned about eating beetroot in small quantities as long as its not at every meal, or excessive amounts. People who are sick should do their best to avoid excess oxalates, because they are practically universally detrimental for someone with leaky gut, autoimmunity, etc. This does not mean completely cutting all oxalate containing foods out 100%, but rather limiting them, and definitely NOT using things like almond flour or amaranth etc.

Keyhole, Thanks very much for replying. Great advice. Hope everything's going well for you.

The audio is much better now if you compare with previous videos. It got a bit worse after the cut at 51 seconds, with a loss of fullness at lower frequencies. Do you remember what you changed?

I wonder if you're not moving enough air with your diaphragm to get the lower tones of voice? If you're tense, you can't move as much air which causes you to instinctively compensate by increasing the overtones in your voice. You do sound a bit strangled to me. Maybe you just need more time to settle in.

I downloaded the audio from that video and played around with EQ. I couldn't change the EQ by more than 3db without losing the sense of presence and clarity, which is a sign to me that the microphone is working well and that the remaining issues are acoustic. At 8:50 you can hear what it sounds like when you grunt at the resonant frequency of your room. If you keep that sound in memory you can hear it's influence on the rest of the recording. At 9:01 when you say "toxic" your mouth forms the perfect resonant horn shape to project that O into the room which exaggerates the room sound. These are extreme examples and the room sound doesn't dominate the recording so badly with the new microphone. Room reflections are a significant barrier to improving the sound with EQ, because you can't boost or cut frequencies without emphasizing reflections. But maybe this is the point of diminishing returns for what is really necessary.

In any case I can only attempt to approximate what would sound good to most people. It's an exercise in subjectivity so good judgement is key. It would be good for others to chime in about the audio quality to help us go in the right direction.

I'm really sorry to be a pain turn the conversation away from Keyhole's videos and towards magnesium :-[ But I was wondering if someone could advise me on what time of day different forms of it should be taken?

This following list should help, it is from Maria Emmerich's book Keto: The Complete Guide to Success on The Ketogenic Diet. It basically depends on what issues you're dealing with, for instance if you have problems with oxalates, then magnesium citrate would be the best choice.

Following are the different types of magnesium so you can choose the one
that is best for you:
Magnesium citrate: A mid-level form that will loosen stools.
Magnesium glycinate: A calming and very absorbable form. Also helps
lessen nerve pain.
Magnesium L-threonate: An especially good form for brain function and
cognition (for people with Alzheimer’s disease and similar conditions).
Magnesium malate: An energizing form that helps with cellular energy.
Magnesium oxide: Not absorbable and will cause loose stools; a strong
laxative.
Magnesium orotate: Helps supports heart health.
Magnesium sulfate (also known as Epsom salts): Good for gastric issues or
leaky gut syndrome when added to a cold foot soak at night. Also helps
soothe sore muscles.
Magnesium taurate: Helps support heart health and promotes calmness.

I take magnesium citrate before bedtime and malate during the day. I guess that's fine?

Some family members have different health issues and they're interested in magnesium L-threonate and orotate. Should those forms be taken in the morning or before bed time? I searched through the Magnesium thread here but people who reported taking it didn't indicate when it was taken :-(

I'm really sorry to be a pain turn the conversation away from Keyhole's videos and towards magnesium :-[ But I was wondering if someone could advise me on what time of day different forms of it should be taken?

I take magnesium citrate before bedtime and malate during the day. I guess that's fine?

Some family members have different health issues and they're interested in magnesium L-threonate and orotate. Should those forms be taken in the morning or before bed time? I searched through the Magnesium thread here but people who reported taking it didn't indicate when it was taken :-(

I'm not sure, there isn't much information about the timing as far as I know. A couple of articles I've read usually recommened evening and before bed. It would probably be best if you try some experimentation and see what works best for you. I generally take it either in the evening or before stressful situations.

Not sure where to post this, but thought I would put it here in case anyone wanted to watch it.

I was interviewed this morning on a youtube channel by Bart Kay, a nutritional scientist who debunks vegan propaganda in his videos:

Hi Elliot! Good job very informative ! The sound is better, I think I hear a noise gate working. If you want to push sound quality further you can make accoustic panels cheaply and you can also make them decorative.

A deesser I think will help also. I you want I can take a shot at improving your sound I think I can help. Idealy in the original format to keep highest sound quality possible.

This is a thread I skimmed through by the past, and I felt the need to finally read it all to have an idea of how you got to your actual point. It's been really inspiring to see your progress and the recommendations given over the years.
I am really grateful for the content you provide whether here, on YT, podcasts, or articles.
Thank you, Elliot.

So, since it has been 2+ years since I started my online channel, I decided to try and "up my youtube game" and tried my hand at motion graphics.

It took a lot of time just to learn how to do basic transitions and graphics, and because I am using templates, it is still choppy in some places and not perfect. Either way, I figured if I could make videos which are more engaging then it might increase viewership (which is not necessarily something I have focused on much up until this point).

Here is the latest video I have been working on. Any constructive feedback would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Reading this thread has been very helpful for me, again I am in the same boat. I decided this year to start a PG Certicate in Rehabilitation with a pathway to a Masters degree. The funny thing is I don't have an undergrad degree I was accepted due to having two Diplomas one in Massage therapy and years of experience. I was stoked! I always wanted to pursue higher tertiary education but because I was so depressed and ill I dropped out of University early on. Completed my massage training later and always had a chip on my shoulder about people treating me as just a massage therapist.
I am loving my studies, it is challenging working and studying from home but I have grown so much through it and have been able to slay some of my demons from my past as well as develop my critical thinking ability. Thanks for this thread I so often have thought so is there any point in doing any of this study at all. It just confirmed to me to value the process and the learning. As a side note even though we hear so many reports about impending economic collapse it feels good to have nearly paid off my student loan from all the years study I didn't complete and be paying for my current course up front. I feel I have taken care of my own business and responsibilities and that has been worth it.
I was just going through this thread and found my past self! I have achieved so much since then.

Hello all, I am posting on this section because I could not find any other section more relevant, as this is one of the things that has been on my mind for a few days.

Last month I started working in a warehouse full time on the night shift which is 10pm until 6am (they could not offer any other shift). The job basically consists of moving up and down aisles scanning different items with a handhold RF scanning device. This device is hooked up to WiFi, is with me at all times and it is starting to give me headaches. It has only been three weeks and I am already starting to feel the effects, I feel like I can no longer think and i am not using my brain.

My original idea was never to study at university, I went backpacking instead. Here was the time that I started to read The Wave books and after reading the series and some other books on the reading list, I interpreted the 'Wave' as a sort of 'get out' from ordinary life.

Everything was planned in my mind- I would have an average warehouse job, I would read my books, Work as much as I was able and not bother making any long term plans because soon enough we may be faced with comets, an ice age and any other form of cataclysmic activity - "Live for the moment"! I am now starting to question the way I had previously thought... Perhaps if these things on planet earth don't happen as soon as I have expected - Will I still be working in a warehouse? It is almost as if I have lost all motivation to plan ahead for anything.

After reading some of the psychology books, I have been considering studying Psychology at degree level from home with the 'Open University'.
One 'I' is saying that I SHOULD do the degree because of how much it interests me and that I could actually HELP people, it is a formal qualification which may provide a true career opportunity where I can incorporate my own Work into this.
Yet another 'I' is saying that there is no point studying at university because soon enough everything will collapse, people will die and what I should be doing is preparing in every way that I can - NOT planning ahead for the future.

The C's have said that there is not one set future, but that there are infinite possibilities. It feels like I am in 'No-mans land' unsure where to go from here. Is it worth dedicating three years+ to a university course when "something wicked this way comes"? Has anyone else had similar feelings with regards to lacking motivation or been in a similar situation?
The C’s would say… Well that’s up to you

if I had to surmise what they would say

Back
Top Bottom