John Keel and Operation Trojan Horse

Found this blog by Doug Skinner that is pretty cool. He was a friend of Keel's and has access to his papers. For the past few years he's been posting stuff from Keel's archives. There's some good stuff in there. For example, there's this letter from Keel on the subject of Morris Jessup, Carlos Allende, Ivan Sanderson et al. Keel makes some statements that might help clear up some of the stuff Laura wrote about.

http://www.johnkeel.com/?p=594#comments
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert_a_goerman/5410074869/in/set-72157625960891866

Here's the section from The Wave/Adventures:

Now, first of all, we notice that Gray Barker is apprised of the existence of the book via a rumor that is supposed to be coming down from military circles. Jessup never told him about it, and apparently, it was only after Jessup’s death that the rumor began to be circulated. We notice that Riley Crabb claims to have had a copy – that this copy was the one the Navy gave to Jessup – but conveniently, it has disappeared in a weird mailing exercise.

Ivan Sanderson had been a close friend of Morris Jessup, and Barker tried to get some information from him when he ran into him in New York sometime later. He tells us that Ivan would not discuss the suicide at all, but he was more than willing to talk about the Varo edition of Jessup’s book. Barker asked Sanderson why Jessup had never publicized the matter of Allende and the annotated book. (It seems that the only evidence we even have for this story is hearsay after Jessup’s death!) Sanderson apparently told Barker that Jessup was “just dumbfounded” to be called to Annapolis and shown the annotated edition.

The story from Ivan is that six months before his death, Jessup had visited him bringing along the annotated edition of his book that had come from the Navy. Ivan claimed that, during the course of the evening, Jessup had requested Ivan to bring three other persons (never identified) into Sanderson’s private office where Jessup showed them the Varo edition, to which he had added his own notes. He asked them to read it and then lock it up in a safe place “in case something should happen to me.” Sanderson never said what the notes were, remarking only that “after having read this material, all of us developed a collective feeling of a most unpleasant nature. And this was horribly confirmed when Jessup was found dead in his car.”

What happened to this annotated copy? Sanderson told Gray Barker that it was left in his keeping. Sanderson is dead now, and no one has ever located such a copy in his effects. Yet Riley Crabb also claimed to have been the recipient of Jessup’s very own annotated copy.

I smell a rat.

In the years following Jessup’s “suicide,” almost everyone in the UFO field had forgotten him. During his life, Jessup was not a best-selling author. He was mentioned in Charles Berlitz’s book Without a Trace, and this revived a bit of interest. As a result of this book, Gray Barker received a phone call from a woman in Miami who had the idea that Jessup did not commit suicide. He sent her a copy of the annotated edition which he had acquired by then (as have a lot of other people, though I am not sure how anybody can assume that it is authentic!) along with The Strange Case of Dr. M.K. Jessup. This woman, Ann Genzlinger, became obsessed with the matter, and undertook to investigate. Surprisingly, she found “doors eagerly opened for her” and the utmost in cooperation by both the staff and Examiner of the Medical Examiner’s office in Dade County. Ordinarily, medical records aren’t available to the public, yet she was allowed complete access to them, and was permitted to voice copy them onto tape. Strangely, after ten years, when the records should have already been moved to storage, they were right there in the “current section.”

Keel makes the following claims in the letter:

-Jessup thought the Varo edition was a joke (Keel shares the opinion that Allende was mentally unstable and unreliable)
-Jessup was depressed and Keel thinks he really did commit suicide
-Jessup gave his Varo edition to Mr. Santesson shortly before he died, who then gave it to Ivan Sanderson who was working on a book at the time
-Allende was the guy who made the annotations (he claimed this to the Lorenzens and others); Keel, Jessup, Sanderson, Santesson "and everyone else" knew this; one set of annotations was in his handwriting (the other probably done with his other hand)
-Keel's Allende files were used by Berlitz in his Philadelphia Experiment book, but Keel went uncredited (Keel also put Moore in touch with Berlitz)
-Keel blames Varo for the whole controversy

Approaching Infinity said:
Big news! Anomalist Press has just published Operation Trojan Horse. It is selling for the very affordable price of $15.08 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1938398033/theanomalist

Yay!

Thanks for posting this Approaching Infinity! I just ordered a copy.

Approaching Infinity said:
Found this blog by Doug Skinner that is pretty cool. He was a friend of Keel's and has access to his papers. For the past few years he's been posting stuff from Keel's archives. There's some good stuff in there. For example, there's this letter from Keel on the subject of Morris Jessup, Carlos Allende, Ivan Sanderson et al. Keel makes some statements that might help clear up some of the stuff Laura wrote about.

http://www.johnkeel.com/?p=594#comments

From that same website, an interesting letter where Keel summarizes his view of the ET and UFO phenomenon, with some criticism of Vallee:
http://www.johnkeel.com/?p=1242

Here is the interesting part (starting at the second paragraph):
iufi.jpg

Just a note that Keel's Eighth Tower has just been republished: _http://www.anomalistbooks.com/book.cfm?id=76

And two collections of his writings have been released as well:

Flying Saucer to the Center of Your Mind: Selected Writings of John A. Keel (http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Saucer-Center-Your-Mind/dp/1492206601/)

The Outer Limits of the Twilight Zone: Selected Writings of John A. Keel (http://www.amazon.com/The-Outer-Limits-Twilight-Zone/dp/1492289604/)

Hello!

I downloaded Trojan Horse to my kindle a few days ago. I'm enjoying Johns' research immensely. I'm about 1/4 the way in, in his sharing of the ufo flap that happened in the USA in 1897 approx. What a odd story, so different from what has happened in the ufo sightings more recently(as far as I know). It shows how the ufo phenomena is tailored to fit in with the beliefs or what people will accept for their time. A half peeled potato falling from the sky and a half eaten boxed lunch found in a tree...how funny! LOL! These where apparently dropped by the "airship" that was passing over head to give validity to the circulating story that this was a human creation.

There is really SO much more to the ufo story then I ever imagined. But then again, I've never actually read any researched material as this, even though my great interest in the subject has been ongoing for that last 30 years. I had a few incounters in 1980 that set the stage for a life long interest. Since then many sightings of a less spectacular nature have occurred.

Interestingly, the last significant experience happened a few years ago that reminds me of Lauras' boomerang encounter. Three of us where standing on a friends front porch one night and noticed 3 lights in the distance, moving towards us. We couldn't tell if these where 3 separate lights flying in formation or maybe the lighted tips of a huge triangular craft. They stopped just in front of us, above our heads and didn't move. We stood and watched for awhile but grew tired as nothing else happened and so we went home. Since reading The Wave series I've considered this event in a new light. Was 3d manipulated to 4d allowing us to see this craft? And, my friend who lives in this house has been a devoted new age practioner of different modalities for many years. We regularly meet at her home for meditation and her home is full of quartz crystal. I think in a sense the whole energy of her home is a beacon. We where also very much into seeing these craft and at the time considered them to be of benevolent nature, so our intention was very strong to see them.

Writing this now, makes me feel a bit creepy with the idea that "new age" practices can bring in the STS crowd and it will all be cloaked in beautiful light. Its a real eye opening experience for me, and great food for thought. On my evolutionary path, I've been influenced by new age thought in one form or another for many years, never knowing of course, the potential pitfalls. This part of my life is decidedly behind me now. So great learning is in the works and I'm thankful for that! I'll be reading Eight Tower right after this.

:)

Yes, Keel's books are great, and a "must read" if anything. They offer a completely different perspective on the UFO-phenomenon and other weird stuff.

Good to hear you're enjoying Keel's work, SummerLite. Happy reading. :lkj:

SummerLite said:
[...]
Writing this now, makes me feel a bit creepy with the idea that "new age" practices can bring in the STS crowd and it will all be cloaked in beautiful light. Its a real eye opening experience for me, and great food for thought. On my evolutionary path, I've been influenced by new age thought in one form or another for many years, never knowing of course, the potential pitfalls. This part of my life is decidedly behind me now. So great learning is in the works and I'm thankful for that! I'll be reading Eight Tower right after this.

:)

It certainly makes one think, and as Laura once alluded to, especially the way things are these days, there's a program for everyone. The system seems to work very hard to ensure, if not one things, than another will be followed with great impetus on drawing ones attention; like chem-trails or space brothers etc. With Keel and others on the ufo and high strangeness trail, especially with his background, he presents very interesting observations and ideas that are not propagated by many who came after him without being somewhat tainted, osit. If you have not listened to Nick Redfern (Fortean Zoology), he was interviewed on SoTT Talk back in July; worth a listen.

Enjoy the reading!

I finished the book last night. While reading, acorns were falling off the oak and hitting the roof, creeped me out, hahha. :scared: It was a great read and one book that I've been wanting to get my hands on for some time. I find John's research to be about as complete as possible considering the phenomena. Opened my eyes to more than I'd expected. :cool2:

voyageur said:
With Keel and others on the ufo and high strangeness trail, especially with his background, he presents very interesting observations and ideas that are not propagated by many who came after him without being somewhat tainted, osit. If you have not listened to Nick Redfern (Fortean Zoology), he was interviewed on SoTT Talk back in July; worth a listen.

Enjoy the reading!

voyageur, thanks for the SOTT radio show interview!! I missed that one, it's great :)

Also enjoyed reading this book, believe I finished it last week. Had purchased it some months ago, and at the time only read a few pages before setting it down. Was kinda surprised at how quickly in a way I read through it this time around. Might read The Eighth Tower next.

Forrestdeva said:
Opened my eyes to more than I'd expected. :cool2:

Here as well. The connections that Keel makes between UFOs and psychic phenomena, how they may be one and the same-definitely intriguing, although disturbing in a way as well.

Hi voyageur, thanks for your response and the recommendation for the Sott interview. I've listened to the first 36 minutes so far and its great! I love this type of information.. I actually now consider Bigfoot may be real for the first time in my life. I may have the time to listen to the rest tomorrow.

Laura's intro was impressive and I loved the X-Files music (a favorite show of mine). It is awesome to find such quality research on subjects such as these. It really does add to my sense of adventure which is important you know. I looked around a bit but didn't find a specific category for Sott blogtalk with other interviews in the "high strangeness" category. Are there more of these? Could you or someone post a link?

Cassiopaea.org is a treasure trove of inspiration! Thanks to All! :D

SummerLite said:
I looked around a bit but didn't find a specific category for Sott blogtalk with other interviews in the "high strangeness" category. Are there more of these? Could you or someone post a link?

Hi Summerlite,

I think radio show #44 Hyperdimensional Planet Earth: Are-human-beings-really-at-the-top-of-the-food-chain could be to your liking, judging from its title at least.

BTW, the complete list of radio shows and their transcripts can be found here and maybe there are other shows on similar topics on that list. So please have a good look through it.

There's also a list with transcripts from older pod-casts from several years ago. In there, the numbers #73 Underwater and Underground bases - R. Sauder and #74 Richard Dolan : UFO's and the National Security State may be of interest. But, again, there could be others as well to your liking.

There is also a separate discussion thread available about the work of Richard Dolan.

Hope this helps a bit. And happy reading/listening. :)

Back
Top Bottom