Jordan B. Peterson Youtube Channel in German!

Aiming

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
A reader of German SOTT has alerted us that there's now a Youtube channel with translated videos of Jordan B. Peterson (not subtitles, but German dubbing). There are currently eight videos, but it seems like the channel's owner is working on more. On his own channel he talks about having recommended relatives and friends to watch Peterson's lectures and apparently the most common answer was 'I don't understand English well enough', so he started translating them. :thup:

Here's the link: Jordan B Peterson Deutsch

And: Peterson's personality assessment test is also available in German now:
Jordan Peterson 's Big Five Persönlichkeitstest jetzt auch auf Deutsch verfügbar! OCEAN-Modell der Psychologie.

Apparently the recently published german version of his "12 Rules for life" is so appallingly and utterly badly translated that many people on german amazon (who understand english and what Peterson said in the original and in his many talks) are totally dismayed by it. I haven't read the german version yet, so I can't judge that myself, but I think there is a good likelihood that it is indeed as bad as they describe it.

One commentator points out that the publisher of the german version is essentially Bertelsmann, who is infamous for enforcing the lefty party line in publication like "Die Bildzeitung", "Die Welt" and "Stern".

If that is true, it might be so bad that it does more damage than good in this present form and how his message is twisted there. People should look into that, and if it is indeed the case, contact Peterson about it! That is something that doesn't bode well at all in my opinion.

Though, unfortunately, I can't really say that I'm surprised about this. I do wonder now of course if there are similar problems in the many other languages it has been translated into till now. My bet is that there could be similar problems as well.

The problem might be that Peterson did not take into account that many big and well-known publishers in western countries are bought and paid for by lefties ideologues who are keen on twisting any such stuff as best as they can.

Maybe he should start to reconsider there and possible let people he really knows well, read that stuff before it gets published by the editors.

Last edited:
Though, unfortunately, I can't really say that I'm surprised about this. I do wonder now of course if there are similar problems in the many other languages it has been translated into till now. My bet is that there could be similar problems as well.

I bought the Spanish copy and read only the intro. It seemed fair enough, but I prefer the original English version. JP's book presentation in Madrid was very well received:

Apparently the recently published german version of his "12 Rules for life" is so appallingly and utterly badly translated that many people on german amazon (who understand english and what Peterson said in the original and in his many talks) are totally dismayed by it. I haven't read the german version yet, so I can't judge that myself, but I think there is a good likelihood that it is indeed as bad as they describe it.

One commentator points out that the publisher of the german version is essentially Bertelsmann, who is infamous for enforcing the lefty party line in publication like "Die Bildzeitung", "Die Welt" and "Stern".

If that is true, it might be so bad that it does more damage than good in this present form and how his message is twisted there. People should look into that, and if it is indeed the case, contact Peterson about it! That is something that doesn't bode well at all in my opinion.

I've read those reviews of the German translation as well and it does make you wonder. If it isn't an intentionally bad translation, there's still the other possibility that it has to do with the translators themselves (there were two translators for 12 Rules for Life). I think it does need a translator, who's equally capable and/or willing to follow Peterson's thought processes. If the translator cannot or doesn't want to go there, for whatever reason, be it their own internal make-up (capacity) or their personal attitude towards what Peterson teaches, I can imagine how such a translation could come about. I mean, all you'd need here is a translator with a materialistic worldview and give him the job to translate the book. He/they can only go so far, I think. The rest of the story could well be about the one who hired those specific translators.

In any case, Maps of Meaning was translated into German by two other translators and the reviewers don't mention anything about a bad translation. They merely comment on the content.

I have both books in English and German, but have read only 12 Rules for Life so far, and read it in English. I did however listen to the first part of the audio book in German and was also wondering about some parts, which didn't seem to convey the content at the level Peterson did in his own words. It didn't bother me much, because I've watched a lot of Peterson's lectures and had read the English book beforehand, thus knew what this or that part was actually meaning, but those who're new to his work could indeed miss some subtleties and exactness of the contents of his work.

Just an update on the topic of the bad German translation of Peterson's 12 Rules For Life: I've found two German websites commenting on it and they basically say the same as the negative reviewers on German Amazon concerning the bad translation, i.e. in some examples in the book it's superficially translated, in other examples, Peterson's reasoning is basically screwed up beyond recognition. For anyone who's interested in checking out those commentarys, have a look here:

Jordan Peterson auf Deutsch: wie’s scheint, ein großes Unglück

12 Rules For Life – Eine verschollene Amazonrezension

Interestingly, I've received a mail today informing of a revised German edition of 12 Rules For Life - coming out on August 19th, 2019.

Have they actually taken the readers' feedback to heart?

The corrected version got released and is listed under "updated new edition":

The translators are the same and as far as I could see they did some minor changes. With that I'm not holding my breath.

Hi there! This is the german content creator that translates Jordan's stuff and personality test. Unfortunately, I wasn't responsible for the german conversions of his books :-p. Im planning to write some articles about the implications of Jordan's personality test on my site Jordan Petersons Big Five Persönlichkeitstest - deutsche Version! (updated layout ) and wanted to ask you: What specific item would you be interested in? I personally think, the most important knowledge-nuggets of his test are the matching of ones personality to ones job and / or future spouse :-) what do you guys think?

Hi there! This is the german content creator that translates Jordan's stuff and personality test. Unfortunately, I wasn't responsible for the german conversions of his books :-p. Im planning to write some articles about the implications of Jordan's personality test on my site Jordan Petersons Big Five Persönlichkeitstest - deutsche Version! (updated layout ) and wanted to ask you: What specific item would you be interested in? I personally think, the most important knowledge-nuggets of his test are the matching of ones personality to ones job and / or future spouse :-) what do you guys think?

Thanks for telling us. Just some questions: Are you officially translating this test for J. Peterson? And is there also all the data available that you can compare yourself to others? Personally I don't know the test myself, with that I cannot recommend any articles. But I think your approach sounds fine.

Anyway, seeing as this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet, etc.

Back
Top Bottom