Jordan Peterson: Gender Pronouns and Free Speech War

Peterson continues to develop and adjust his ideas which comes through very well in this interview. Peterson seems more calm and on the ball, not as explosive as he often is, and in a good way for the purposes of this interview. His responses are delivered compellingly but with minimum necessary force. He doesn't get tired halfway through unlike the Sam Harris discussions. The discussion of diet near the end is very interesting to hear.

The interview was great! I was also thinking that, I know JP has been giving interviews all over and is very well known these days, but Dr. Oz's show has a great amount of audience, so I thought it was great he was interviewd there, his message keeps getting more and more out there, and that's great. I also thought that, I dunno if it was what I percieved, but his language seemed more reachable, like for example when Dr. Oz asked about what an archetype is.

Thanks for posting @Pashalis, that was a great interview! I especially liked how the interviewer was simply participating in exploration of all that, instead of straining and draining like many before.

I also thought that, I dunno if it was what I perceived, but his language seemed more reachable, like for example when Dr. Oz asked about what an archetype is.

What I saw is that Peterson was just having a good day, in addition to the continued development of his ideas. His mood seems to go up and down. In many interviews he seems to be struggling with his mood, and he presents better in ones where he doesn't have to fight with that.

Peterson and his daughter recently are doing very well in giving credibility to the low-carb diet, and this interview displays that especially well. You can see an example in this video. This video doesn't have any new information, but it's interesting to see that JP and his daughter had a role in bringing this about.

Several days ago, I decided to reorganize things in my room, and do a next level cleaning. I threw away loads of papers that I collected over the years, assignments, reports, and all that. I realized I was being quite a hoarder! Last Sunday, I finished the reorganization of my desk, and closets, and organized my clothes as well. The only thing left is the closet where I have all my supplements, bags and some books. Once that's done, the mission will be completed. With the super clean 'new room', I couldn't sleep well the first couple of nights, and I wonder if this may have to do with me adjusting to the new environment, but the nights after I slept quite nicely. The energy in the room feels nice and clear (Feng-Shui-approved!), if that makes sense, and I like having things I actually need within hand-reach. I think JP would approve!

Nice work, Oxajil!

With the super clean 'new room', I couldn't sleep well the first couple of nights, and I wonder if this may have to do with me adjusting to the new environment, but the nights after I slept quite nicely.

I'm sure JP would say something along the lines of 'You're not in the same room anymore. It's not the same place, now.' So it'd be like trying to get to sleep in a new room in a different house or something. Also, by rearranging your room and getting rid of old stuff, you could have been rearranging mentally as well. Decluttering, so to speak.

Seems like you're feeling a positive difference now, anyway :-)

Interestingly, JP said of his busy itinerary that he will be speaking to The Trilateral Commission.

This is a short excerpt from J Peterson's book Maps of Meaning. I thought it was interesting enough to post here as it deals with facing the unknown and how it relates to strengthening the "personality" (although that's probably not the best word)

The habitual act of avoidance - of rejection - weakens the personality, in a direct causal manner. The strength of a personality might be defined, in part, as its breadth of explored territory, its capacity to act appropriately in the gretest number of circumstances. Such strength is evidently dependent upon prior learning - at least upon learning how to act - and knowledge of how to act is generated and renewed as a consequence of constant, voluntary exploratory behavior. If everything new and different is rejected out of hand, the personality cannot adjust itself to changing circumstances. Circumstances change inevitably, however, as a consequence of simple maturation; as a consequence of entropy itself. It is of little use to be entirely prepared for the past; furthermore, it is only possible to remain prepared for the future by facing the present.

Anomaly is, therefore, spiritual "food" in the most literal sense: the unknown is the raw material out of which the personality is manufactured, in the course of exploratory activity. The act of rejecting anomaly transforms the personality into something starved, something senile, and something increasingly terrified of change, as each failure to face the truth undermines capacity to face truth in the future. The person who comes to adopt an inappropriate attitude towards the unknown severs their connection with the source of all knowledge, undermining their personality, perhaps irreparably. The dissolution of strength is self-perpetuating: every weakness increases the likelihood of further weakness [my addition: the reverse is equally true: every mustering of strength to face and overcome challenges strengthens and prepares us to face into and overcome future challenges].

Back
Top Bottom