Jordan Peterson perfectly defines STO

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
This is a section transcribed from Jordan Peterson's latest Q&A. You can watch the whole thing, "New Year's Q and A" here.

Question: Hello Dr. Peterson. Do you ever fear that your psychological reading of the Bible is wrong?

JP: Well I'm sure it's wrong in some ways!

Question continued: Even Satan can use scripture for his own purpose. What if you're just us using The Word for your own gain?

JP: Well, then God help me, I guess. That's what I would say.

What if I'm just using The Word for my own gain...

I guess it would depend on what you think of as 'gain'. I AM using it for my own gain. But I would say that I've aligned my own gain with the gain of others. And that's made my own gain... It's a weird thing, right? Because, you see, that way I can have my cake and eat it too. I can do what I think is best for me, but at the same time I can do what's best for others. And I've also defined what's best for me as what is simultaneously best for others. And I believe that I truly believe that - I think I'm fully convinced of that - because I've thought it through.

So, that's my answer to that.

Nice find T.C., he sums it up pretty well. It really seems to me that his work is all about helping people make themselves better human beings and in doing so, better families, better communities etc. If only the SJW types that love to attack him, would pause for a moment to actually absorb what he was saying....wishful thinking, I know.

I haven't watched his recent Q&A, so thanks for posting that, off to watch it now.

Fantastic quote from him. He really is on the mark on so many things. Funny timing, but I had a dream last night with Jordan Peterson doing battle with the Predator from the Arnold movie and he wiped the floor with it. Which is very much how I find his work and talks. They are like constant shocks to wake up and pay attention to the 'Terror of the Situation' and to find meaning and do something worthwhile with our lives while we still can. I'll definitely check out the full Q & A.

Reactions: Ca.
That is a great quote, TC. Amazing how it is so profound, yet so simple at the same time.

An no, the SJW, or anything of that ilk, aims only to have their narrow, 'gain' forced on everyone else. The complete opposite. For them to win (gain), you must lose. With JP's scenario, all win.

I guess it would depend on what you think of as 'gain'. I AM using it for my own gain. But I would say that I've aligned my own gain with the gain of others. And that's made my own gain... It's a weird thing, right? Because, you see, that way I can have my cake and eat it too. I can do what I think is best for me, but at the same time I can do what's best for others. And I've also defined what's best for me as what is simultaneously best for others. And I believe that I truly believe that - I think I'm fully convinced of that - because I've thought it through.

So, that's my answer to that.

I haven't read anything Peterson wrote yet, just heard people quoting or criticizing him. The quote above is, in my opinion, a description of the STO path the way I see it too. Thank you for sharing, T.C.

I've just noticed that his latest book is going to be released this month, pre-order already available:

https://jordanbpeterson.com/12-rules-for-life/

That was another fantastic video by JP. Thanks for sharing.

JP has sure been through much and keeps refining his thinking, knowing. One can remember JP from an older New Years address - it was tough, yet he knew he had support and that support grew. Thanks TC!

latulipenoire said:
I've just noticed that his latest book is going to be released this month, pre-order already available:

https://jordanbpeterson.com/12-rules-for-life/

Thanks for pointing out his new book release, latulipenoire.

Thanks T.C. for sharing this.
... I can do what I think is best for me, but at the same time I can do what's best for others. And I've also defined what's best for me as what is simultaneously best for others.
It would be a first step towards STO I guess.
Then one must wonder if it is really, objectively, best for others.
The mind can be easily tricked by STS bias.
How one may be so sure that it's best for others, and even for oneself ?

Thank you for sharing the quote. It was such a dense Q & A session that I nearly forgot about that one.

Thank you for sharing the quote and video link, T.C. I was not aware of the new Q&A session.

I love watching Peterson's videos; they are always so information packed and yet he simplifies many complex ideas in ways that make them easily understood and really hit home! If only I had had professors like him during my college years... :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing TC. I too wasn't aware of his new video, note to self to get that viewed.

aleana said:
I love watching Peterson's videos; they are always so information packed and yet he simplifies many complex ideas in ways that make them easily understood and really hit home! If only I had had professors like him during my college years... :rolleyes:

I agree, its always a joy listening to what JP has to say - he's so articulate. I am reminded - he has mentioned in a few of his interviews - that when he was young, he was always quite talkative.

That's a good, real-life application of the whole Paul/Stoic/IXS dynamic: making the higher aims YOUR OWN aims. Peterson isn't doing what he does because some external authority is telling him what he should or shouldn't do. He is, to the best of his ability, making those higher values his own - and practicing them (again, to the best of his ability).

Approaching Infinity said:
That's a good, real-life application of the whole Paul/Stoic/IXS dynamic: making the higher aims YOUR OWN aims. Peterson isn't doing what he does because some external authority is telling him what he should or shouldn't do. He is, to the best of his ability, making those higher values his own - and practicing them (again, to the best of his ability).

"I guess it would depend on what you think of as 'gain'. I AM using it for my own gain. But I would say that I've aligned my own gain with the gain of others. And that's made my own gain... It's a weird thing, right? Because, you see, that way I can have my cake and eat it too. I can do what I think is best for me, but at the same time I can do what's best for others. And I've also defined what's best for me as what is simultaneously best for others. And I believe that I truly believe that - I think I'm fully convinced of that - because I've thought it through."

I really like what Peterson says there. There's a drive there to want to find answers that benefit everyone including self. The motivation that is required I think, to really think persistently and logically follow the thread of one's own line of thinking to it's logical conclusion. To think with a hammer, as it were.

It's what separates the real thinkers from most everyone else who tend to just download info from the boob tube or whatever and have an opinion on the disinformation they just got and fancy themselves as smart. Or is that overly pessimistic?

genero81 said:
Approaching Infinity said:

"I guess it would depend on what you think of as 'gain'. I AM using it for my own gain. But I would say that I've aligned my own gain with the gain of others. And that's made my own gain... It's a weird thing, right? Because, you see, that way I can have my cake and eat it too. I can do what I think is best for me, but at the same time I can do what's best for others. And I've also defined what's best for me as what is simultaneously best for others. And I believe that I truly believe that - I think I'm fully convinced of that - because I've thought it through."

I really like what Peterson says there. There's a drive there to want to find answers that benefit everyone including self. The motivation that is required I think, to really think persistently and logically follow the thread of one's own line of thinking to it's logical conclusion. To think with a hammer, as it were.

It's what separates the real thinkers from most everyone else who tend to just download info from the boob tube or whatever and have an opinion on the disinformation they just got and fancy themselves as smart. Or is that overly pessimistic?

It's like one gives birth to the other.

When your personal inclination is to 'align your own gain with the gain of others', then you really have no choice but to actually think, and to think about everything.

We all want to gain, we all need to gain. But if we only care about what we ourselves individually gain, then we don't really have to think at all. All we have to do is unconsciously submit to drives that get us what we want, and what we want in that case is anything that makes US feel better when WE'VE got it.

But when you bring others into the picture - when you introduce the risk that your gain may become another's loss, and you want to avoid that as much as possible - you can't rely any more on defining 'the good' as that which makes you feel better when you've got it.

So you're forced to think instead of just feel, try to act consciously rather than act unconsciously.

Back
Top Bottom