Julian Assange Discussion

Hi justin,

Just a thought you might want to consider for the future:

If you only read 2 of the 30 pages and admit to running the risk of covering what has already been discussed, then why post?

Was it merely to give your opinion or did you think you might be somehow shedding new light on the subject? After all, you couldn't know if you were adding to the conversation, having not read the thread.

I am not judging your post, merely pointing out a possibility that you might not be considering other people's time and energy. By not putting the time and energy into reading the comments of others but expecting other to read yours, I think there might be an imbalance you had not considered, not to mention that you run the risk of creating noise.

Respectfully,
Gonzo

Gonzo said:
If you only read 2 of the 30 pages and admit to running the risk of covering what has already been discussed, then why post?

I've read them all now, and I see these ideas have been mentioned. Often I form a hypothesis on news items without reading anything on it here, as an exercise in discernment. Consider my post an endorsement of the ideas that it supports ;)

Laura posted an assessment of Wikileaks, the terror of the situation, and what we can do titled The Way Out is the Way In on sott.net. The internet is becoming a wild card for the PTB, with the potential to deprogram and unchain the human mind. Truth can be found by those who recognize the ring of sincerity on the internet. The internet is becoming the Gutenburg Press of our age. Do not despair, this battle is only now being joined and the outcome is in the balance; first within our own mind and reverberating to the mass mind in a race against time and inertia. What a thrilling time to live. :)

Gonzo said:
Hi justin,

Was it merely to give your opinion or did you think you might be somehow shedding new light on the subject? After all, you couldn't know if you were adding to the conversation, having not read the thread.

I am not judging your post, merely pointing out a possibility that you might not be considering other people's time and energy. By not putting the time and energy into reading the comments of others but expecting other to read yours, I think there might be an imbalance you had not considered, not to mention that you run the risk of creating noise.

Respectfully,
Gonzo

I think we need to offer some slack on reading entire threads. Some, like this one, are rather long and many people don't have the time to read every word before offering their opinion. I don't see a problem with that, I think it can't really be any other way. If we required everyone to read all posts in a thread before posting we'd have a lot more 'lurkers'. And we discourage lurking! :ninja:

Hi Perceval,

Will we be applying the same standard to all long threads or is there some criteria that could be shared to help identify which type of thread one doesn't have to fully read before commenting on?

I'd certainly don't enjoy making anyone feel uncomfortable for not being up to speed on what's been covered on a given topic, especially if there's no point.

I can understand, for example, recipes not requiring a complete read as the likelihood of posting identical recipes is a lot lower than offering one's thoughts on the machinations behind a world event.

Thanks,
Gonzo

Gonzo said:
Hi Perceval,

Will we be applying the same standard to all long threads or is there some criteria that could be shared to help identify which type of thread one doesn't have to fully read before commenting on?

I'd certainly don't enjoy making anyone feel uncomfortable for not being up to speed on what's been covered on a given topic, especially if there's no point.

I can understand, for example, recipes not requiring a complete read as the likelihood of posting identical recipes is a lot lower than offering one's thoughts on the machinations behind a world event.

Thanks,
Gonzo

I don't think there are any possible rules we can apply and require people to stick to. Do you really think that everyone on this forum reads all of a thread (especially long ones) before posting? The only difference here was that Justin admitted to not having read the entire thread. Many others undoubtedly post without having read the entire thread but without admitting it.

Added: So I don't think it's an issue, although that's not to say that we don't advise people to read as much as possible before posting, we do! but we understand if members don't have enough time to do so and we don't want to dissuade them from posting for that reason. In short, we ask that everyone makes as much effort as possible to get up to speed on any given thread before posting.

http://legalschnauzer.blogspot.com/2010/12/is-karl-rove-driving-effort-to.html
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Is Karl Rove Driving the Effort to Prosecute Julian Assange?

Former Bush White House strategist Karl Rove likely is playing a leading role in the effort to prosecute WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, a source with ties to the justice community tells Legal Schnauzer.

Assange was arrested last week in London for alleged sex crimes in Sweden. A lawyer for Assange said Monday that the arrest was a ruse designed to give the United States more time to build a case against Assange on other charges. The lawyer said a grand jury is being prepared in Washington, D.C., to look into WikiLeaks' activities. Meanwhile, Assange has a court date today in the UK, where he is expected to seek a release on bail.

That Assange's legal troubles would originate in Sweden probably is not a coincidence, our source says. Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt has been called "the Ronald Reagan of Europe," and he has a friendship with Rove that dates back at least 10 years, to the George W. Bush campaign for president in 2000. Reinfeldt reportedly asked Rove to help with his 2010 re-election in Sweden.

On the hot seat for his apparent role in the political prosecution of former Alabama Governor Don Siegelman, Rove sought comfort in Sweden. "When [Rove] was in trouble and did not want to testify on the three times he was invited [by the U.S. Congress], he wound up in Sweden," our source says. "Further, it was [Reinfeldt] that first hired Karl when he got thrown out of the White House.

"Clearly, it appears that [Rove], who claims to be of Swedish descent, feels a kinship to Sweden . . . and he has taken advantage of it several times."

Why would Rove be interested in corralling Julian Assange? To help protect the Bush legacy, our source says. "The very guy who has released the documents that damage the Bushes the most is also the guy that the Bush's number one operative can control by being the Swedish prime minister's brain and intelligence and economic advisor."

Could Rove also be trying to protect himself? What if WikiLeaks has documents--or Rove thinks it could get documents--that prove "Turd Blossom's" role in criminal activity during the Bush years? What if someone with a conscience from the Bush administration--if such a person exists--provided WikiLeaks with documents that show Rove's role in political prosecutions, the unlawful firings of U.S. attorneys, and more? Could Rove be trying to save his own doughy butt?

Reporting from Amy Goodman, of Democracy Now!, lends support to our source's insights about Rove and Sweden. In a piece from December 2008, "Karl Rove in Sweden," Goodman wrote about the ties between "Bush's Brain" and Reinfeldt. This was just a few weeks after Barack Obama had won the presidential election in the United States:

Traditional Swedish politics also are in flux. Brian Palmer is an American, a former Harvard lecturer, who has immigrated to Sweden and become a Swedish citizen. Palmer has penned a biography of Sweden’s prime minister, Fredrik Reinfeldt. Palmer credits Reinfeldt, 43, with leading the shift away from the progressive social policies for which Sweden has become world-famous. He said Reinfeldt, in 1993, “wrote a book, ‘The Sleeping People,’ where he said that the welfare state should only prevent starvation, nothing beyond that. After being elected ... one of his first major visits abroad was to George Bush in the White House.”

Reinfeldt and his Moderate Party hired Karl Rove as a political consultant to help with the election coming in 2010. Palmer went on: “We have a real kind of silent war on the labor movement. We have a rather dramatic change in the tax system, abolishing the inheritance tax and most property taxes, cutbacks in social-welfare institutions.” This week, a new coalition of center-left political parties formed to challenge this rightward drift.

The U.S. electorate has thoroughly rebuked the Bush administration, handing Barack Obama and the Democrats a mandate for change on issues of war and health care, among others. One of the world’s leading laboratories for innovative social policies, Sweden is now wrestling with its own future. Those seeking change in the U.S. would be wise to watch Sweden, beyond Nobel week.

In December 2009, Goodman conducted an interview with Brian Palmer, Reinfeldt's biographer:

AMY GOODMAN: Brian Palmer, talk about the shift that’s going on in politics here—you’ve written a biography of the current prime minister—and how this fits in with the story we just talked about, the story of Alfred Nobel, both the Peace Prizes and his founding of, really, the weapons industry in this country.

BRIAN PALMER: One can begin by saying that the reasons for Sweden’s reputation as a progressive paradise, the strongest labor movement in the world with 87 percent of workers unionized, creating over many decades the strongest welfare state, the one that on the UN Human Poverty Index has the least poverty in the world. And then, what we’ve seen over the last twenty years, but particularly since the 2006 election, is a move away from all of that.

We have a prime minister who in the 1990s wrote a book, The Sleeping People, where he said that the welfare state should only prevent starvation, nothing beyond that, no other standard should be guaranteed. After being elected, Fredrik Reinfeldt, one of his first major visits abroad was to George Bush in the White House, this in spite of Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, a visit that many people thought shouldn’t have happened, his coalition then getting—bringing over Karl Rove for advice and support—Karl Rove, the architect of President Bush’s electoral victories.

AMY GOODMAN: They brought Karl Rove here?

BRIAN PALMER: This past summer.

AMY GOODMAN: Because?

BRIAN PALMER: Because he can offer good advice on how to win the 2010 election. And—

AMY GOODMAN: Is this unusual for Karl Rove to do this kind of international consulting?

BRIAN PALMER: According to his website, it’s his only foreign consulting, for the Moderate Party of Sweden.

AMY GOODMAN: Wasn’t the current prime minister visiting Bush in the White House?

BRIAN PALMER: Yeah, and there was much—many people writing that this shouldn’t happen. He justified the visit, that he would persuade Bush to sign the Kyoto Accord, but people who were there say that he didn’t even really attempt that.

What better way to make Assange look like a hero than to make his nemesis the archvillain, Dick Cheney. This smells like rank disinfo to me. And the fact that the COINTELPRO left gatekeeper Amy Goodman is peddling it kind of seals the case.

Not that Cheney wouldn't hate Assange, of course.

Bluelamp said:
Is Karl Rove Driving the Effort to Prosecute Julian Assange?

Perceval said:
Gonzo said:
Hi justin,

Respectfully,
Gonzo

I think we need to offer some slack on reading entire threads. Some, like this one, are rather long and many people don't have the time to read every word before offering their opinion. I don't see a problem with that, I think it can't really be any other way. If we required everyone to read all posts in a thread before posting we'd have a lot more 'lurkers'. And we discourage lurking! :ninja:

I agree with Perceval here, I also don't have, unfortunately, full time to read all the postings in a big topic, like this one for example. Sometimes it helps me skimming over the posts (now and then with trigger words already in my head), or even to read the comments from the mods and admins. That is not meant to downgrade anyone, but it helps me to get to the gist of a topic. And maybe before posting, searching for keywords in the topic might help. Occasionally or most often topics have also kind of subtopics in it, when talking about one particular posting, like this one here, or about new posted news-articles. :)

My two cents.

Wealthy celebrities help raise Assange bail

Check out video # 3 especially.

The English gentleman who was instrumental in saving Assange's buns, Vaughan Smith (_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughan_Smith), actually says in his press cameo that he is going to put him up in his mansion "because we need to find a way of managing the changes that he [Assange] has caused."

Well, that just about nails it. If it wasn't a cut-out operation from the start, WikiLeaks has just been bought and sold.

I just saw Julian Assange get out of jail on CNN. He was standing next to a beautiful blond and surrounded by adoring fans. Michael Moore organized the bail fund. It was Hollywood...the tall blond superman and his beautiful woman emerging from prison to save the world. The lighting was perfect and I was disappointed Nelson Mandela wasn't there. I think he is going to be under house arrest at the rothschild palace in the City of London. Rock On.....

:dance:

Thanks for sharing, Shijing. It did have some good points, and paralleled many of my personal thoughts. The things exposed through Wikileaks are a bunch of monotonous blah blah bla. I'm currently trying to dig through the cables and such...their indexing system sucks, probably by design...it's tedious to go through. I can't find anything so far that would put Israel in a negative light, but that's not saying much when I'm just not impressed with any of the info.

In the video, he points out Assange's view of the 9-11 truth movement...that had already been the nail in Wikileak's coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom