Julian Assange Discussion

One simple thing that bothers me is how WikiLeaks manages to get its hands on hundreds of thousands of leaked documents. They decided to create a site to host leaked documents, and then they magically got them? Or did they have them already? I mean, Sott has been on business for a few years now (at least as long as WikiLeaks I think) and when was the last time that a 'patriot' insider decided to approach Sott and spill the beans? Not only that, but Assange claims to receive very generous donations from anonymous millionaires. When was the last time that Sott had to forget about money problems because rich sponsors handed loads of cash? The same can be said about many alternative sites and researchers out there. On top of that, there is the much discussed suspicious absence of Israel from any damning leaks, while every other nation on the planet gets tainted.

That doesn't mean that Assange himself is not sincere (although I am personally inclined to distrust him), or that the accusations against him aren't fabricated, or that the leaks aren't genuine. He could just be getting money and leaks from the alphabet soups (my bet is on Mossad or the ADL) while honestly thinking his sources and sponsors act in good faith.

The worst part of the drama is that it will be used to shut down free speech.

Neil said:
So we've reached the time when the truth is being disclosed to the general public, but in ambiguous and circuitous ways. Assange probably has his own prejudices which skew the objective content of the data he receives even more.

Interesting choice of words: "truth being disclosed to the general public". That is precisely what they want people to believe. Just like UFO disclosure, it's a data dump that amounts to a LOT OF NOISE. To me it rather sounds like they're trying to drown out the signal coming from the truth.

Kniall said:
Neil said:
So we've reached the time when the truth is being disclosed to the general public, but in ambiguous and circuitous ways. Assange probably has his own prejudices which skew the objective content of the data he receives even more.

Interesting choice of words: "truth being disclosed to the general public". That is precisely what they want people to believe. Just like UFO disclosure, it's a data dump that amounts to a LOT OF NOISE. To me it rather sounds like they're trying to drown out the signal coming from the truth.

The truth that is "disclosed" is a deception. When Julian Assange presents lies wrapped in truth on CNN, there is nothing ambiguous about the Wikileaks operation. It shows a cunning knowlege and probing of the mass mind. The truth is spreading via internet technology, on blogs and forums where people struggle to understand our reality. Wikileaks is the elite's controlled opposition, throwing sand in the gears of minds beginning to think for themselves.

I think Julian Assange is the "crotch bomber of the internet".

Guardian said:
Perceval said:
Why, from the beginning, didn't wikileaks just release the most damning official documents (having made sure to confirm the source and that they ARE IN FACT official documents) on its web site.

They did...for several years in fact.

The alt community would have picked up on them and spread them around so far and wide that the mainstream media would have had no choice but to comment on them.

They did, and a few thousand or so people fussed, and the msm totally ignored them. It's called UselessNet for a reason.

For a short while after its creation in 2006, Wikileaks played the part of a simple whistleblower org. But things have changed rather drastically it seems. Any person or group wanting to be a whistleblower operation needs to understand in depth the nature of the world we live in. They need to realise (which isn't hard to do with some research) that for a long time a war has been ongoing between the elite of this world and the ordinary people of this world. The elite being big government, banks and corporations. The mainstream media are corporations. They have shown over these past few decades, beyond a shadow of a doubt, who they work for.

If as a whistleblower org. your allegiance lies with the ordinary people of the world against the elite, then you cannot expect to align with the media and stay clean. The truth is most important. If a whistleblower org. has documents that reveal government duplicity and corruption, then there is no good reason to go to the mainstream media, and plenty of bad ones. Surely safeguarding the truth is of utmost importance, and if that means you have to spread the information via alt. news sites etc then so be it. To do otherwise is to jeopardize the very thing on which the org's very existence is based.

Guardian, I still find it implausible that you do not have some doubts about the direction that wikileaks has taken.

Perceval said:
If as a whistleblower org. your allegiance lies with the ordinary people of the world against the elite, then you cannot expect to align with the media and stay clean.

Good point, though aligning with the MSM may have been a very good legal strategy for them. By involving the MSM, not only does it validate Wikileaks as a media outlet instead of just a whistleblowing organization (which grants stronger First Amendment rights), it implicates the MSM in any sort of legal action the government pursues. [Added- but then again, that could be the ultimate goal, to dismantle the media's First Amendment protection.]

It has been, by any standard, an extraordinary campaign of vilification and persecution, wholly comparable to the kind of treatment doled out to dissidents in China or Burma. Lest we forget, WikiLeaks is a journalistic outlet - just like The New York Times, the Guardian and Der Spiegel, all of whom are even now publishing the very same material - leaked classified documents -- available on WikiLeaks. The website is also a journalistic outlet just like CNN, ABC, CBS, Fox and other mainstream media venues, where we have seen an endless parade of officials - and journalists! - calling for Assange to be prosecuted or killed outright. Every argument being made for shutting down WikiLeaks can - and doubtless will - be used against any journalistic enterprise that publishes material that powerful people do not like.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/219473-Truth-in-Chains-Assange-Arrest-a-Chilling-Sign-of-Power-s-New-Realities-

The most commonly cited statute by those who advocate prosecuting Wikileaks is Section 793(e) of the Espionage Act. In August, former Bush speechwriter Marc Theissen linked to this section in an article for the Washington Post when he wrote that Wikileaks is "a criminal enterprise" whose founder, Julian Assange, should be arrested by U.S. forces on foreign soil, international law be damned.

But this provision does not apply to those who publish information.

Section 793(e)reads "Whoever having unauthorized possession of, access to, or control over any document...relating to the national defense...willfully communicates... the same and fails to deliver it to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it...shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both."

As made clear in the Pentagon Papers case, the word "communicates" was never meant "to encompass publication" or to affect the press. Congress included the word "publish" in three other sections of the Act but intentionally left it out of 793. As the legislative history of this provision states, "Nothing in this Act shall...in any way to limit or infringe upon freedom of the press or of speech as guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States."

Justice Douglas referenced the legislative history in his concurring opinion, when he wrote of Section 793, "it is apparent that Congress was capable of, and did, distinguish between publishing and communication in the various sections of the Espionage Act."

Washington Times columnist Tony Blankley wants Wikileaks charged under a similar provision in the Espionage Act, Section 794(b), which does include the word "publish." Yet this statute applies only to information that is published with intent to deliver it to the enemy, a fact any prosecutor would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. While Wikileaks admits it intended to affect U.S. public opinion of the war (as Daniel Ellsberg did with the Pentagon Papers), this is far different than intending the information for the enemy. The documents were first disseminated to only domestic and allied country newspapers to effect public opinion of the war, and Wikileaks redacted names and other information in the Iraq War logs. And while Wikileaks was criticized for not redacting names in the Afghanistan files, it had asked the government for help redacting names from the documents through an intermediary - the New York Times - and the government declined to help.

Further, Section794 sets out specific information that is prohibited such as troop and ship "movement" and military "plans," emphasizing future missions, while the Iraq and Afghanistan leaks consisted of after-action reports about what had already taken place. In other words: history.

Regardless of the specificity of Section 794, there is no proof the documents have led to any harm of U.S. soldiers. Although Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen said Wikileaks will have "blood on its hands," the Pentagon later admitted, "We have yet to see any harm come to anyone in Afghanistan that we can directly tie to exposure in the Wikileaks documents." Admittedly, that U.S. forces haven't be harmed by the publication of these documents yet is not guarantee against a harm yet to come. Still, it is worth noting that despite the hysteria of the conservatives, and their predictions of disaster resulting from Wikileaks' leaks, we know of no ramifications from the publication whatsoever.

Other commentators have cited Section 798 of the Espionage Act, a provision that has previously alarmed journalists because it has no intent requirement like Sections 793 and 794. In other words, someone can be prosecuted under this act, no matter the motivations behind publication or the audience it was intended for. But these commentators do not seem to have analyzed the law beyond that point. If they did, they would realize, as Salon.com columnist Glenn Greenwald points out, Section 798 covers "only very narrow categories of information (i.e., cryptography, signals communication intelligence, or interception of foreign governments' communications) which plainly do not encompass the leak of the Afghan [or now Iraq] war documents."

No media outlet has ever been charged under Sections 793, 794 or 798. The Bush Administration - not exactly a friend to the press - considered prosecuting the New York Times under Section 798 for its story on the NSA's most likely illegal warrantless wiretapping program, which fits more squarely under the definition of communication intelligence. Yet even then, the Justice Department declined to do so.

Perhaps realizing these realities, during the most current leak of Iraq War documents, many commentators seem to have dropped the pretense that Wikileaks could be charged under a specific statute at all.

Jonah Goldberg openly wondered in the Chicago Tribune and several other newspapers last week, "Why wasn't Julian Assange garroted in his hotel room years ago? It's a serious question." Mr. Goldberg most likely knows the answer is because assassination is illegal (Er, at least it used to be).

The New York Sun, after asking "What would our greatest leaders expect President Obama to do in respect of Julian Assange?" suggested FDR or Lincoln would have tried Assange for treason. The Sun probably knows Assange is a foreign citizen, making a treason charge impossible.

And former Bush State Department official Christian Whiton said the Wikileaks organization should be deemed "enemy combatants, paving the way for non-judicial actions against them." Judging by Whiton's refusal to elaborate on his comments, he probably knows that will never happen either.

All of this evidence suggests that the Justice Department's statement saying they are "exploring possible criminal charges" against Wikileaks is just posturing.

As Timothy Matusheski, a lawyer working with Wikileaks and Mr. Assange, said, "They accuse him of breaking the law. But they haven't said what law." Perhaps because they can't find one.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/219311-Wikileaks-Has-Committed-No-Crime

G'day

Was going to reply to some comments about mine but my internet keeps dropping out and I can use my work PCs to go on this forum. Hope to have my net fixed soon.

Thanks

lolz thats interesting :D

Direct link: _http://i.imgur.com/PDnns.jpg

PDnns.jpg

drygol said:
lolz thats interesting :D

Direct link: _http://i.imgur.com/PDnns.jpg

PDnns.jpg

Yeah, just about every peon in the CIA is checking it out. Of course, they're about as clued in as the average person.

I just want to say that, from the very beginning, I saw NOTHING of any real value in any of the Wikileaks documents. Using the MSM as protection doesn't make sense to me because, if done correctly, there is no need for such protection, the leaks could be released anonymously. In that case, and if the leaks were of real value, I suspect that those who had most to lose from their release would make damn sure that the leak was plugged, in one way or another.

Short version is, if you really understand how controlled our world is, you realise that the chances of anything significant (as in something able to really change public perception in a truly liberating way) being made available to the public at large is NIL. Sorry to have to say that but that's what the evidence suggests.

This link is in English for the most part. There are a few subtitles.

http://svtplay.se/v/2264028/wikirebels_the_documentary

Found this last night, which appears to be a dating profile of Assange. Really have no idea if it's real or not, but the last login was Jan 2007. And the photos seem somewhat elusive. I've included the text below.

_http://www.okcupid.com/profile/HarryHarrison

His Details

Last Online
Jan. 1, 2007
Height
6' 2" (1.87m).
Smokes
No
Drinks
Socially
Drugs
Never
Religion
Atheism
Speaks
English (Fluently)

My self-summary
WARNING: Want a regular, down to earth guy? Keep moving. I am not the droid you're looking for. Save us both while you still can.

Passionate, and often pig headed activist intellectual seeks siren for love affair, children and occasional criminal conspiracy.

Such a woman should spirited and playful, of high intelligence, though not necessarily formally educated, have spunk, class & inner strength and be able to think strategically about the world and the people she cares about.

I like women from countries that have sustained political turmoil. Western culture seems to forge women that are valueless and inane. OK. Not only women!

Although I am pretty intellectually and physically pugnacious I am very protective of women and children.

I am DANGER, ACHTUNG, and ??????????????!

What I’m doing with my life
Directing a consuming, dangerous human rights project which is, as you might expect, male dominated. Variously professionally involved in international journalism/books, documentaries, cryptography, intelligence agencies, civil rights, political activism, white collar crime and the internet. Formal background in neuroscience, mathematics, physics and philosophy.

I’m really good at
A gentleman never tells.

The first things people usually notice about me
Height. Nordic appearance. Unusual presense. Often carrying mystery brown paper packages tied up with strings; these are a few of my first things.

My favorite books, movies, music, and food
Russian. (D) anything but Russian!

The six things I could never do without
I could adapt to anything except the loss of female company and carbon.

I spend a lot of time thinking about
Changing the world through passion, inspiration and trickery. Travel (33 countries). Structure of reality. Birth and death of the universe (physics background) Ontology. Chopping up human brains (neuroscience background)

On a typical Friday night I am
Working, or in wilderness, which I retain an undying love for. Parties with good friends are glue, otherwise entertainment is less entertaining than working!

The most private thing I’m willing to admit
I have asian teengirl stalkers. Hello.

I’m looking for

* Everybody
* Ages 22-46
* Located anywhere
* Who are single
* For new friends

You should message me if
You are a spirited, erotic, non-confomist. Non-conformity is not the adoption of some pre-existing alternative subculture. I seek innate perceptiveness and spunk.

Do not write to me if you are timid. I am too busy. Write to me if you are brave.

EDIT: While I was writing this post, a story on his profile popped up on Google:

WikiLeaks boss has alter-ego for dating
_http://www.nzherald.co.nz/connect/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501833&objectid=10694252

Michel Chossudovsky just posted "Who is Behind Wikileaks" on Global Research. I excerpted a section on manufacturing dissent that furthers the point that Wikileaks is a PSYOP as per Protocol 12. The elites seek to co-opt humanities increasing outrage and resistance to their self-appointed role as our masters. They intend absolute control of the body, mind, and soul of mankind and Julian Assange is a piece of the operation designed to further this aim.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=22389 said:

Manufacturing Dissent

Wikileaks has the essential features of a process of "manufactured dissent". It seeks to expose government lies. It has released important information on US war crimes. But once the project becomes embedded in the mould of mainstream journalism, it is used as an instrument of media disinformation:

"It is in the interest of the corporate elites to accept dissent and protest as a feature of the system inasmuch as they do not threaten the established social order. The purpose is not to repress dissent, but, on the contrary, to shape and mould the protest movement, to set the outer limits of dissent. To maintain their legitimacy, the economic elites favor limited and controlled forms of opposition... To be effective, however, the process of "manufacturing dissent" must be carefully regulated and monitored by those who are the object of the protest movement " (See Michel Chossudovsky, "Manufacturing Dissent": the Anti-globalization Movement is Funded by the Corporate Elites, September 2010)

What this examination of the Wikileaks project also suggests is that the mechanics of New World Order propaganda, particularly with regard to its military agenda, has become increasingly sophisticated.

It no longer relies on the outright suppression of the facts regarding US-NATO war crimes. Nor does it require that the reputation of government officials at the highest levels, including the Secretary of State, be protected. New World Order politicians are in a sense "disposable". They can be replaced. What must be protected and sustained are the interests of the economic elites, which control the political apparatus from behind the scenes.

In the case of Wikileaks, the facts are contained in a data bank; many of those facts, particularly those pertaining to foreign governments serve US foreign policy interests. Other facts tend, on the other hand to discredit the US administration. With regard to financial information, the release of data pertaining to a particular bank instigated via Wikileaks by a rival financial institution, could potentially be used to trigger the collapse or bankrutpcy of the targeted financial institution.

All the Wiki-facts are selectively redacted, they are then "analyzed" and interpreted by a media which serves the economic elites.

While the numerous pieces of information contained in the Wikileaks data bank are accessible, the broader public will not normally take the trouble to consult and scan through the Wikileaks data bank. The public will read the redacted selections and interpretations presented in major news outlets.

A partial and biased picture is presented. The redacted version is accepted by public opinion because it is based on what is heralded as a "reliable source", when in fact what is presented in the pages of major newspapers and on network TV is a carefully crafted and convoluted distortion of the truth.

Limited forms of critical debate and "transparency" are tolerated while also enforcing broad public acceptance of the basic premises of US foreign policy, including its "Global War on Terrorism". With regard to a large segment of the US antiwar movement, this strategy seems to have succeeded: "We are against war but we support the 'war on terrorism'".

What this means is that truth in media can only be reached by dismantling the propaganda apparatus, --i.e. breaking the legitimacy of the corporate media which sustains the broad interests of the economic elites as well America's global military design.

In turn, we must ensure that the campaign against Wikileaks in the U.S., using the 1917 Espionage Act, will not be utilized as a means to wage a campaign to control the internet.

I think the whole wikileaks thing is a PTB operation. I'm sure it has multiple purposes: distraction, placating those who feel wronged, an excuse to further control the internet, and most importantly to intercept really devastating leaked info and identify its source. Here's what I wrote as a comment to the recent Sott article on the subject:

This whole wikileaks thing is getting huge amounts of coverage in the media. “Any publicity is good publicity” is a common saying. There are people who imitate crimes they see in the news. With all this publicity, I have to assume that wikileaks is in some way an intelligence-agency operation. Maybe not from its inception, but at this point. Most likely it’s a form of “honeypot” to catch leaks that they really don’t want revealed, and to pinpoint the source of the leaks. This would suit their purposes ideally in the case of 9-11 info. They would be able to neutralize it before it ever saw the light of day, and identify the source. We don’t really know what kind of networking/computer monitoring capabilities the intelligence agencies have, so all the talk of how secure and anonymous this wikileaks system is could be total garbage. Or, the PTB could have an inside channel into their system. Either way the end result is the same. So let’s say some people with insider info on 9-11 decide that they trust wikileaks and like what they are doing, and they are encouraged by all the media attention and decide to send in something? If I’m right, that will never see the light of day. Doesn’t this sort of setup sound exactly like the thinking of the PTB? ;)

Apologies if this theory has already been discussed ;) I've only read 2 of the 30 pages of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom