Keto Cheesecake

By the laurel wreath of Caesar, it looks so good ! :wow:

If i want to taste it, i know what to do.
Thanks for the recipe Redfox.

Thank you for sharing, looks perfect.
I miss them now some essential elements (amaranth flour, tapioca flour) for cooking. I have one question, which is the size of the spoon and cup that you use in this cake?

Awesome job Thorn! :D

casper said:
I have one question, which is the size of the spoon and cup that you use in this cake?

1 tea spoon (small spoon) = 6ml
1 table spoon (large spoon) = 18ml
Cups are an American measure of volume rather than weight, so the following is a rough conversion:
1/2 cup flour = 75g
1 cup flour = 150g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_%28unit%29

RedFox said:
casper said:
I have one question, which is the size of the spoon and cup that you use in this cake?

1 tea spoon (small spoon) = 6ml
1 table spoon (large spoon) = 18ml
Cups are an American measure of volume rather than weight, so the following is a rough conversion:
1/2 cup flour = 75g
1 cup flour = 150g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_%28unit%29
Thank you very much for your reply, I never knew "to deal" with spoons and cups, you never really know who has what kind of dishes, thank you, God the invention of kitchen scales :D

Thorn, this looks really delicious! Hopefully you guys will make a video soon!

Just a question, how are your guts doing after ingesting the tapioca flour etc?. I tried it in a small pancake the other month to test for the cheesecake, and I just ended up with constipation and some digesting difficulties for a week or so.

Lilyalic said:
Just a question, how are your guts doing after ingesting the tapioca flour etc?. I tried it in a small pancake the other month to test for the cheesecake, and I just ended up with constipation and some digesting difficulties for a week or so.

Did you check it was guaranteed gluten free? There may be some cross contamination if the producer handles gluten.
Do you react like that to all carbs? Did you cook it in coconut oil (you may have reacted to that)?

It's possible you're sensitive to it unfortunately.
Another option to consider would be potato flour - although I'm not sure how well that would work.

RedFox said:
Did you check it was guaranteed gluten free? There may be some cross contamination if the producer handles gluten.
Do you react like that to all carbs? Did you cook it in coconut oil (you may have reacted to that)?

It's possible you're sensitive to it unfortunately.
Another option to consider would be potato flour - although I'm not sure how well that would work.

Well it was a certified gluten free company "bobs red mills" or what not. Nope no reactions like that from other carbs, and didn't cook it in coconut oil. I do think it's just the tapioca flour to be honest.
Potato flour/starch may be a second option. If it's a special occasion I'd probably use the tapioca regardless!

Thanks RF :)

I didn't have any gut disturbances from the flour either. Although I was testing biscuit bases out and ate a whole one to myself :-[ and had a bad tummy the next day, I think that was an overload though.
You could try out pork scratchings/ rind and crush them up add sweetner, only problem they are really high in protein

A few tweaks to the original recipe, and a new one to add.

Using a 9 inch cake dish, this can serve 12 people (or 8 if you want an extra big slice).

Ingredients (base) - could be replaced with a pork rind flour base

1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour (or something similar)
75g salted butter (melted but not hot)
2 table spoons of xylotol
2 eggs
1 tea spoon of apple cider vinegar
2 table spoons of water

Method (base)

Mix the flours and xylotol in a bowl.
Add the melted butter. Stir.
Add the egg, water and apple cider vinager and mix thoroughly.
Grease the cake tin with a little butter.
You should be able to pour the mixture into the tin! (this saves rolling it)
Bake in a preheated over on 180oC for 20-25 minutes depending on how crisp you want it.
Remove from the oven, set aside on a rack to cool.

Once cool enough I place the base/tin into the freezer.

Ingredients (middle)

11 egg yokes
2 level table spoon of xylotol
500g unsalted butter
Gelatin (enough to set 1 pint of water)
500ml water
1/4 cup of tapioca flour
Large pinch of salt

For a slightly sour/tart cheesecake (i.e. cream cheese style)
1 tea spoons of malic acid powder
1/2 tea spoon of vitamin c powder
[*note*: apparently the combination of malic acid, vit c and fat can create a detox reaction. The first few times I wondered why I needed to pee so much after eating the cake. The above amounts are halved on what they where]
1/2 tea spoon of lemon juice.

For a slightly more cheesey flavour
2 tea spoons of choline bitartrate powder

Method (middle)

Separate the eggs yokes.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan on a low heat.
Fill a sink with cold water so that the large saucepan can sit in it without getting water in.
In a smaller saucepan add 250ml of boiling water, stir in the xylotol and gelatine, once thoroughly mixed add to the fully melted butter.

Stir it mixes (I tend to do this by eye, but for those that prefer temperatures it needs to be over 50oC).
Remove from the heat, drizzle in the egg yokes whilst whisking (hand whisk preferably). Place back on the heat (slowly raise the temperature) and whisk until it starts to thicken/change colour (around 70oC?) - whisk like this for a few minutes. If it starts to boil/separate take it off the heat and place in the sink of cold water, whisk forcefully for a minute or two.
Once thickened place saucepan in the cold water and whisk to cool the mixture. It's important to try and get it down to near room temperature to prevent separation later.

In a small saucepan add the flour, salt, any flavoring of your choice, and 250ml of water. Stir rapidly and heat very gently until it becomes a paste. This should happen at over 60oC. You need to stir rapidly to stop it clumping.
Keep heating and stiring and it should turn slightly opaque. It will have the consistency of thick glue!
Remove from the heat. Either allow to stand and cool for about 10 minutes or place in the saucepan in the cold water and stir until it reaches below 30oC.

Add the paste to the fat bomb mix, and stir until you can stir smoothly.
Place the saucepan in the sink and whisk at a moderate speed until the mixture is near room temperature.
*note* Here I've had a few problems in the past, and others may run into it too. If the paste is too hot, or too acidic (i.e. lemon juice) it can cause the fat bomb mix to separate.
To rescue it, you need to reduce the mixture to room temperature. Add a tablespoon of cold water and then mix for 5-10 minutes with an electric whisk (a electric stick blender probably won't work).

The pastry base/cake tin should be cool enough to add the mixture to it now. Place in the freezer if you want to add the topping quickly (will take around 20 minutes to set firm enough - don't freeze it!), or the fridge if you have a bit more time (about an hour and half to set firm enough).
If the middle separated and you had to rescue it, placing it int he freezer helps.

Ingredients (topping)

2 cup berries
1 level table spoon xylotol
400ml water
Gelatin (enough to set 1 pint)

In a saucepan place the berries and water. Bring to a gentle simmer and stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the xylotol and gelatin thoroughly.

The cheesecake should be firm to the touch, pour on the topping. Topping should be set firm within an hour and half in the fridge.
The center will need an hour or two to balance the flour/moisture.

Ok, based on the above - introducing Triple Chocolate, Butterscotch Cheesecake!

Using a 9 inch cake dish, this can serve 16 people (it's very rich, and I only cut 1 inch slices)

Ingredients (base)

1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup amaranth flour (or something similar)
100g salted butter (melted but not hot)
4 table spoons of xylotol
2 eggs
1 tea spoon of apple cider vinegar
2 table spoons of water
1/2 cup of cocoa powder

Method (base)

Mix the flours, cocoa and xylotol in a bowl.
Add the melted butter. Stir.
Add the egg, water and apple cider vinager and mix thoroughly. This may take some time to mix/combine!
Grease the cake tin with a little butter.
The mixture is pretty tricky to work with - mix it with the back of a spoon if needed to make sure it's fully combined. If it's not all holding together easily, keep mixing.
I used a spoon to roughly flatten it into the tin.
Bake in a preheated over on 180oC for 20-25 minutes depending on how crisp you want it.
Remove from the oven, set aside on a rack to cool.

Once cool enough I place the base/tin into the freezer.

Ingredients (middle)

12 egg yokes
4 level table spoon of xylotol
500g unsalted butter
Gelatin (enough to set 1 pint of water)
500ml water
1/4 cup of tapioca flour
Large pinch of salt
1/2 cup of cocoa powder (produces a weak chocolate flavor, 1 cup may be a better option - see problems with combining later)

Method (middle)

Separate the eggs yokes.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan on a low heat.
Fill a sink with cold water so that the large saucepan can sit in it without getting water in.
In a smaller saucepan add 250ml of boiling water, stir in the xylotol and gelatine, once thoroughly mixed add to the fully melted butter.

Stir it mixes (I tend to do this by eye, but for those that prefer temperatures it needs to be over 50oC).
Remove from the heat, drizzle in the egg yokes whilst whisking (hand whisk preferably). Place back on the heat (slowly raise the temperature) and whisk until it starts to thicken/change colour (around 70oC?) - whisk like this for a few minutes. If it starts to boil/separate take it off the heat and place in the sink of cold water, whisk forcefully for a minute or two.
Once thickened and before cooling in the sink, remove from the heat and add the cocoa powder and stir until completely dissolved.
Place saucepan in the cold water and whisk to cool the mixture. It's important to try and get it down to near room temperature to prevent separation later.

In a small saucepan add the flour, salt, any flavoring of your choice, and 250ml of water. Stir rapidly and heat very gently until it becomes a paste. This should happen at over 60oC. You need to stir rapidly to stop it clumping.
Keep heating and stiring and it should turn slightly opaque. It will have the consistency of thick glue!
Remove from the heat. Either allow to stand and cool for about 10 minutes or place in the saucepan in the cold water and stir until it reaches below 30oC.

Add the paste to the fat bomb mix, and stir until you can stir smoothly.
Place the saucepan in the sink and whisk at a moderate speed until the mixture is near room temperature.
So every time I've done this the mixture separates! Either the cocoa is too acidic, or the combination of cocoa and amaranth paste it drawing too much water out.
If anyone can work out how to not have it separate here that would be useful! It does however produce a quite nice 'cake' like texture.
To rescue it, you need to reduce the mixture to room temperature. Add a tablespoon of cold water and then mix for 5-10 minutes with an electric whisk (a electric stick blender probably won't work).

The pastry base/cake tin should be cool enough to add the mixture to it now. Place in the freezer if you want to add the topping quickly (will take around 20 minutes to set firm enough - don't freeze it!), or the fridge if you have a bit more time (about an hour and half to set firm enough).
If the middle separated and you had to rescue it, placing it int he freezer helps.

Ingredients (butterscotch chocolate topping)

6 table spoons of xylotol (or 3 table spoons of unrefined cane sugar, and 3 of xylotol - this option produces better results).
3 table spoons of water.
250g unsalted butter (chopped into small chunks)
1/2 cup of cocoa powder

Method (topping)

Add the xylotol and water to a saucepan.
*Caution - this liquid when hot will cause severe scolding!*

Heat gently until it begins to bubble/simmer. Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes (or until it produces no more steam). Do not stir!
Remove from the heat.
Carefully stir in the butter (you may need to add a little more heat again, but don't do more than melt the butter).
Make sure it's thoroughly mixed, then stir in the cocoa powder.

Allow to cool to less than 40oC before adding to the cheesecake.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20150805_080938 size.jpg
    20150805_080938 size.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 20150805_080947 size.jpg
    20150805_080947 size.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 325
That looks fantastic, but do you know what the carb content is with all the flours used?

Original recipie breaks down as follows:

Carbs/fat

Total carbs:
1/2 cup tapioca flour: 52g carbs
1/2 cup amaranth flour: 40g carbs
4 table spoons xyltol: 10g carbs
2 cups of berries: 34g carbs (depending on berries - I used a black forest berry mix)

= 137g carbs

Total fat:
550g butter: 451g fat
11 yokes: 50g fat
1 egg: 5g fat

= 506g fat

Sliced into 12 = 11g carbs, 42g fat
Sliced into 8 = 17g carbs, 63g fat

New recipe breaks down as follows:

Carbs/fat

Total carbs:
1/2 cup tapioca flour: 52g carbs
1/2 cup amaranth flour: 40g carbs
14 table spoons xyltol: 35g carbs
1 1/2 cps of cocoa powder: 70g carbs

= 197g carbs

Total fat:
850g butter: 697g fat
12 yokes: 55g fat
2 eggs: 10g fat
1 1/2 cups cocoa powder: 18g fat

= 780g fat

Sliced into 16 = 12g carbs, 48g fat

So still keto if you don't pig out and go for 1 inch slices - trust me that's all you need! it's very filling :)

Merci pour vos recettes appétissantes...

Thank you for your appetizing recipes ...

My wife made one of these for my birthday with blueberries - hands down, this was the greatest cake I've tasted, EVER. Thanks so much for the recipe!

She modified it a bit and used lemon juice instead of Vitamin C, didn't use Amaranth and used 1/2 tapioca flour and 1/2 almond flour (I'm usually a bit sensitive to almonds, but I took the cake VERY well, mabye because the concentration of the almonds was very low).

Attachments

• cheesecake_sm.jpg
    cheesecake_sm.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 101
Votre épouse vous a confectionné un bien beau et bon gâteau pour votre anniversaire que je vous souhaite heureux avec retard...
Merci pour le partage...

Your wife has crafted you a beautiful and well good cake for your birthday I wish you happy with late ...
Thank you for sharing...

Back
Top Bottom