Keto recipes

dant said:
JGeropoulas said:
Arwenn said:
OK, so following on from this thread here, I thought it might be an idea to share our keto recipes, as most of the other threads on this topic are pre-keto.

Great idea--thanks!

The link is broken!

In fact, there is no link.

So Arwenn, do you remember what was the link that you wanted to post?

Could be that one: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34392.msg484182.html#msg484182

if we follow the first quotation in the post of Arwenn: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34453.msg484820.html#msg484820

Well, I've been doing keto all wrong. Making a new start.
Please excuse any no-nos in this recipe, as I have much to learn.

Hot, Fatty Shrimp:
Cooked shrimp, plain. Dip into this and eat:
Bowl of coconut cream
salt to taste
Indian hot curry powder
Sriracha
white pepper
a few drops of fish sauce
Mix together in proportions to suit your tolerance for heat and salt.

I found it to be yummy and filling.

Yupo said:
Well, I've been doing keto all wrong. Making a new start.
Please excuse any no-nos in this recipe, as I have much to learn.

Hot, Fatty Shrimp:
Cooked shrimp, plain. Dip into this and eat:
Bowl of coconut cream
salt to taste
Indian hot curry powder
Sriracha
white pepper
a few drops of fish sauce
Mix together in proportions to suit your tolerance for heat and salt.

I found it to be yummy and filling.

Sounds like a lovely Dip/sauce! I really miss spicy foods!
Some people are very sensitive to all peppers, other than black pepper. And also Sriracha contains chilies which are also rather inflammatory.
Indian curry powder that you buy already mixed is normally not to bad, usually containing ingredients like cumin, coriander, turmeric etc. So i would just watch to make sure nothing overly inflammatory is involved. Ive also seen a few curry powders slip in some wheat flour into the mix, so make sure to read the ingredients before you buy it.

There is talk about craving foods to which we are sensitive.
I do crave some heat.
I make kim-chee, leaving out the sugar and cornstarch.
Kimchee=good on everything!

I made a large batch of the custard. I ended up wasting half a carton of eggs because the yolks would break. :rolleyes:

Since black tea and coconut is such a good combination, I used black tea to dilute the coconut cream. It smelled great right away.

Last time I mixed in a few drops of turpentine as an experiment. It tasted fine to me but my mother said it tasted like shampoo. Then she asked me to make more but leave out the turpentine. :D

Sweet Eggwhite Dumplings

When you are making fat bombs you might have some eggwhite left ;)

One day I remembered an old recipe from home: Schneenockerl /snowdumplings.

It is very simple:
Just make very very very hard beaten eggwhites (in Austria we call it Snow) and add some Xylit to make it sweet.
Meanwhile heat a pot of water for boiling.
When the eggwhite is really stiff you take out the eggwhite spoon after spoon (eather big or small) and put them in the boiling water. Not too many a time!
Wait until the dumplings get hard, take them out and eat them. :)

Re: Sweet Eggwhite Dumplings

naorma said:
When you are making fat bombs you might have some eggwhite left ;)

(i like that idea naorma)

Here's a cool idea which would need to be adapted but it looks yummerz :)

Egg clouds.

12106948_1648922532027056_5628117692449843673_n.jpg

Original video which i saw is here: https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty/videos/1648906315362011/

Youtube version (pretty much the same - different music, and a minute longer, for some reason)

https://youtu.be/8I58G0ie-v0

Published on 3 Oct 2015

Here's the recipe:
Separate the yolk from as any egg whites as you are making. In a chilled metal bowl, whisk the whites until stiff peaks form. Mix in whatever you want.

Spoon the whites into even piles on a baking sheet and create a well in the center of each pile with the back of the spoon.

Bake at 450F for 3 minutes.

Put a yolk in each well, bake another 3 minutes at 450F.

Keto recipes - Beef Bacon Stroganov

Recipe from the Health and Wellness Show of 12 January 2015

Beef Bacon Stroganov

Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb. butter or ghee
- 1 lb. bacon
- 3 lbs. sirloin or other tender cut of beef
- 1 cup chopped green onion, shallots, or leek
- 2 tsp Knox gelatin
- 2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt, or sea salt (not table salt!)
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper or white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. dried tarragon
- 1.5 c. coconut milk
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1. tsp. ginger powder
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary leaves
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander

Equipment:
Some bowls, mortar & pestle, sharp knife, cast iron or other pan, boiling pot

Method:
Cut the beef and bacon into small chunks, set aside. Cut the onion/shallots/leeks and garlic into small chunks, set aside. Mix all the spices in the mortar. Set your boiling pot going on low heat and put in the coconut milk and butter. Once melted, whisk in the gelatin and continue to stir until it's dissolved. Whisk in the spices. Cook on low for a few minutes until hot (not boiling) and set aside. Cook the beef and bacon together in a pan and set aside once done. Cook the onions/shallots and garlic in a pan with about 1/4 cup water until tender, strain and mix with the meat. Pour the sauce mixture on top of the meat to make the Stroganov.

Looks amazing! Wow. :)
Brings to my mind this idea: 'mastering the art of french cooking but with 10 x the butter'

A Bon Bon for One

I have been making single serving chocolate treats this way:
In an egg cup I mix (in approximate order of volume)...
dried coconut
cocoa powder (I use Hershey's 'special dark')
Xylitol and a pinch of stevia (to tase)
pinch of espresso powder
bit of salt
tad of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom
smidgeon of cayenne if desired
drop of vanilla

Stir together until mixed. Then add a few drops at a time, (while mixing and mashing) some soft coconut oil, until a soft paste is formed.
Eat with a tiny espresso spoon on the spot or refrigerate to form a little bon bon for later enjoyment. Flavor impression: Intense, dark and Mmmmm.
Sorry, I just eyeball rather than measure.
I am watching calories right now as I have gained a lot of weight recently. Little keto treats might be a better choice for me just now than a loaf pan of fat bomb.

Original intent was to mimic the flavor vibe of a Mounds. What I got reminds me more of a dark chocolate espresso browinie I ate once at a coffee shop. I don't taste the coconut so much.

Variation: a drop of rum or zest of orange peel in there might be interesting.

Recipe from the Health and Wellness Show of 25 May 2015 (Detox Protocols)

Roasted Bacon Chicken

Ingredients:
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 to 6 slices of bacon
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- rosemary
- sage
- thyme

Equipment:
Frying pan, sharp knife

Method:
If you get a whole chicken and roast it for about 20 - 25 minutes per pound. You can do your calculations on that. Give or take the size of the bird I usually just cook it in the oven for an hour and a half at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175°C) to be safe. If it's a bigger bird you will want to go a bit longer but 20 minutes per pound is a pretty good estimate there.

Take the chicken and lay it on a pan with the breasts facing up and take a sharp knife and slice the skin near the legs on the edge of the breast. Towards the back opening where you would put the stuffing into the cavity. Slice the skin on each side and then take 2 slices of bacon for each side so 4 slices total and slide them underneath the skin. You will need to get your fingers in there and separate the skin from the muscle tissue and then slide the bacon slices in there.

You can do the same thing on the legs as well. You can make a slice at the top of each of the drumsticks, separate the skin from the muscle tissue and put one slice of bacon inside there. Try to get them all the way in and flattened out so they cover most of that layer of the breast and the drumsticks and then season the top to your liking. I usually use salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, sage and thyme.

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175°C) for 20 minutes per pound and when it comes out you have this chicken that is totally saturated in bacon fat and it is really, really good. I have found that the bacon will turn the chicken meat slightly reddish or pinkish so you might be wondering if it's done but if you trust the time and cook it for the right amount of time you shouldn't be concerned with that. Just remember that the bacon will turn it a slightly different colour, it won't be white like you would normally expect a chicken to be.

That's it, that's bacon roasted chicken. It's pretty simple and you can play with it and do different variations. Sometimes it's fun to slap the bacon right on top of the chicken but I like doing it underneath the skin because then you also get the crispy chicken skin on top as well as the bacon fat throughout the meat.

A lot of the time the chicken breast tends to be dry so having the bacon fat there sounds like a way to keep it nice and juicy.

Recipe from the The Health and Wellness Show of 17 Jul 2015 (The Importance of Sleep)

Sugar-Free Gingerade

Ingredients:
- two hands of ginger - section of the root about the size of your palm or a little bigger
- some water
- 3 cups (0.72 liter) of water
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of powdered stevia or xylitol or erythritol
- turmeric (optional)
- cinnamon (optional)
- mint (optional)

Equipment:
spoon or regular potato peeler, blender, cheesecloth, one quart (1 liter) mason jar

Method:
The recipe for today is a simple kind of summer drink that you can make. It's a sugar-free gingerade and it is slightly involved in the sense that you want to blend down raw ginger. So use two hands of ginger, which is a section of the root about the size of your palm or a little bigger. Peel them with a spoon or a regular potato peeler. Cut them up into little chunks and put them in the blender with just enough water so that when it's blended down it makes a slurry. You don't want it to have too much liquid because what you're making is a concentrate.

So when you blend the ginger down with the water, strain it out through a cheesecloth and squeeze it out really well and you'll get a liquid that's super concentrated ginger concentrate. I usually get approximately a cup and-a-half from the two hands of ginger (ca. 0.36 liter).

Then in a one quart mason jar add 3 cups of water (0.72 liter), two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon of powdered stevia or the sweetener of your choice. We use xylitol or erythritol, do similar proportions there. I use a tablespoon of stevia and then one half cup of the ginger concentrate and shake it up, put it in the fridge, take it out and you can drink it like that or put it over ice. That's your gingerade. It's pretty good. It's nice and invigorating and cool in the summer time. We've been experimenting with other versions of this too, adding things like turmeric, cinnamon, mint, to round out the flavour.

It makes a good stomach tonic too.

Recipe from the The Health and Wellness Show of 11 May 2015 (Toxic additives) (slightly edited)

Sweet Ginger Pork Ribs

Ingredients:
- 2 racks of baby pork back ribs
- ginger extract or
raw ginger (1 cup / ca. 100 – 150 gramm)
- a little bit of water
- salt
- pepper
- ground coriander
- ground cardamom
- stevia

Baking time (without Praparation time):
3 1/2 to 4 hours

Equipment:
Pan or roasting pan, spoon or regular potato peeler, sharp knife, chunky blender, muslin cloth, standard kitchen brush, spatula

Method:
I guess you could call this sweet ginger pork ribs. It's pretty standard if you have ever done low and slow ribs in the oven. The temperature that you want to preheat your oven to is 225F degrees (ca. 107° Celsius) and I would go with 2 racks of baby back ribs. You want to lay those out on a pan.

To prepare for this you can just use some ginger extract but I personally like to go with raw ginger. So you take the raw ginger and carefully peel it so that you don't take too much of the actual ginger out; just take the peel off. A good way to peel ginger is to use a spoon; because it's blunt you end up only taking off the skin part. Chop that up into little chunks and put about a cup of it into your blender. You want a chunky blender for this because ginger is so tough it's really hard to blend. Start pulsing it until it starts to break down in the blender and add a little bit of water at a time until you come up with a slightly more liquidified ginger paste. You want to blend it really well so that all of the ginger is mixed in with the water and is blended up as much as it can be.

Run that through a muslin cloth, like a cotton cloth bag or a cloth filter of some kind that is really fine and twist that around and just squeeze all of the juice out of there into a cup then add it to your ginger extract. That is really potent, really strong. Then I brush the ribs with the ginger. Get a standard kitchen brush and brush that on until they're totally covered then dust the ribs with salt, pepper, coriander, cardamom and stevia.

There's not necessarily specific measurements for each of these but as you can imagine, if your ribs are laid out you just dust the entire top of them with the spice mixture. So that is salt, pepper, ground coriander, ground cardamom and stevia and add stevia into that mix at about equal portions to the other one.

Then you want to put the ribs into the oven at 225F degrees (ca. 107° Celsius) and bake them for about 2 hours. You want to put the meat side down onto your baking dish. You can cover this if you have a roasting pan, or not, it really doesn't make a huge difference. They're just going to be a little bit more tender if you have them inside of a roasting pan. After two hours take them out, flip the ribs over using a spatula and put your spice mixture on one more time and brush it again with the ginger mixture. Put them back in for another one-and-a-half to two hours. So your total cook time should top out at about four hours. So you've got two hours at the beginning, take them out, flip them over, baste and spice them again, put them in again for another one-and-a-half hours. About 20 - 30 minutes before you're done take them out and baste them one more time with the ginger extract and put them in for another 20 - 30 minutes.

When you take them out they are going to be super tender. You really only need a fork to eat these ribs unless you like to eat them by hand. They are just going to fall right off the bone. I'm a big fan of the mixture of the ginger flavour with the stevia. It makes a nice sweet pork rib without having to use sugar or BBQ sauce or any kind of unknown ingredients. So that's it.

Recipe from the The Health and Wellness Show of 02 February 2015 (Vaccines and Flu Shots) (slightly edited)

Immune Boosting Tea

Ingredients:
- raw turmeric root
- raw ginger
- cinnamon
- cardamom

Method:
We wanted to give some options that people can do for an immune boosting tea. I was just going to say turmeric, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom would be my recipe for a nice, tasty immune boosting tea that would be effective.

If you can get the raw turmeric root, it's definitely much better to use that than the powder, I think, just because you're getting all of those natural compounds that are in the root, same with ginger. Steep those in some boiling water for five-to-ten minutes. I've found a number of sources that said that when you steep herbs like this for a remedy tea, you actually want to steep them quite a bit longer. So play around with what you're doing. Experiment a little bit. Try heating up some water and keeping it at a simmer and then steeping those herbs in there and the roots for say a half hour to 45 minutes and then cool it down, strain it out, or drink it hot, whichever you prefer.

I just wanted to go over some information that I had pulled up here. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Ginger, the same way. I have a list here of countries throughout the world where they actually use ginger itself to treat the flu, coughing, nausea, vomiting, any symptoms like that; Burma, China, Columbia, Congo, India, Indonesia, Nepal, the Philippines, Peru and Japan and of course some places in the United States although we're a little behind the ball. We're still catching on to the rest of the world. Don't hold it against us.

Cinnamon is also an antioxidant and can increase blood flow to the heart. The National Institutes of Health said that there is a chemical found in cassia cinnamon called, cinnamaldehyde which can help fight against bacterial and fungal infections. Then cardamom as well is used in traditional medicine to treat throat troubles, lung congestion, pulmonary tuberculosis, inflammation, digestive disorders, gallstones and a number of other troubling conditions. It's also used in some places to treat venoms.

Back
Top Bottom