Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

Re: Ketogenic Diet - Path To Transformation?

Recently published review article about carbohydrate restriction in the treatment of Diabetes type 1 & 2 - well worth reading.

Full text can be downloaded from the abstract page - top right orange icon "Elsevier Open Access"(sorry, unable to post direct link): _http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/abstract

If you have cravings you are 1) either not getting enough fat; 2) getting too much protein that is being converted to glucose (assuming you aren't getting any carbs from elsewhere).

Soooo... make your own mayo, use butter or ghee liberally on everything. I'm even putting a tablespoon in my tea. If you are getting enough fat, you won't be wanting to eat more protein (or anything else for that matter!)

It can take weeks for the body to re-tool the DNA for the new lifestyle so be patient. It took me a couple of months.

Thanks Laura

I been making loads of mayo - but am sick of it now. I think though fat bombs are the answer and will make more tomorrow and really crank up that fat intake.

Jamie

Hi Mugatea,

The adaption period was similar for me. It took over a month before I was digesting fat properly and not feeling half asleep after a fatty meal.

Hang in there, it's well worth it! :D

Laura said:
If you have cravings you are 1) either not getting enough fat; 2) getting too much protein that is being converted to glucose (assuming you aren't getting any carbs from elsewhere).

Soooo... make your own mayo, use butter or ghee liberally on everything. I'm even putting a tablespoon in my tea. If you are getting enough fat, you won't be wanting to eat more protein (or anything else for that matter!)

It can take weeks for the body to re-tool the DNA for the new lifestyle so be patient. It took me a couple of months.

I have been putting 20-30 gm butter in my tea, as I do like a few cups of tea a day. It's helping with the cravings- I was definitely eating too much protein, which was kicking me out of ketosis. Also, I have had to ensure that I drink plenty of water (I add some Sea salt or Himalayan salt which helps with cramps and head aches). FWIW

Arwenn said:
Laura said:

I have been putting 20-30 gm butter in my tea, as I do like a few cups of tea a day. It's helping with the cravings- I was definitely eating too much protein, which was kicking me out of ketosis. Also, I have had to ensure that I drink plenty of water (I add some Sea salt or Himalayan salt which helps with cramps and head aches). FWIW

Just out of curiosity, how much where u eating before and now?

Mugatea, i would say i am 'eating' about a 1/3 less than i used to, without trying. But i am drinking 3-4 egg yokes and 150gs of Lard/Butter in the morning as my fat bomb, so much of my intake happens first thing. And i never used to eat breakfast, but i would eat a larger dinner and snack during the day. Now i rarely snack but if i do it's a handful of berries/nuts (depending on your tolerances - and i've even cut back on any nuts) and when i do, i can easily forgo 'another handful' - infact the handful of berries can replace the need for a meal sometimes if i need to keep going.

My meals look something like this:

Breakfast: Coffee fat bomb
Lunch: 2 eggs fried in lard (salt, pepper) OR 1 pork belly strip OR 2 sausages - either alone or some small side of carbs - pickles, cooked cabbage, 2 broccoli florets (and i'm full).
Dinner: 1 mackerel fillet - sometimes these are too big for me now so i take off like a 1/5th (the end) OR 1 chicken thigh OR 1 pork chop and less than a cup of carbs.

Granted some will need more. I'm thin, with the metabolism where i think i burn off what i eat almost immediately, and needed to graze regularly, but could only ever eat small portions at meal times anyway. I had a tendency to feel light headed if i hadn't eaten for like 5 hours if i'm remembering correctly.

As Laura said, once you're taking in lots of fat appropriate to your body and lifestyle, your body will tell you to stop. If you would like to find out the recommended protein/fat intake - search for the keto calculator for a rough idea. Perhaps, like i'm actually thinking of doing at the moment, just keep increasing the size of your fat bombs and broths and serve yourself 'restaurant style' portions at meal times - you know, the ones you'd look at and say "that won't fill me up" or at least that's how it seems to me. IF you are getting enough fat, you should be surprised at how little you need/want. I had a lot of leftovers when i first started and realised i needed to reassess portion control! Hopefully this helps some?

ok thanks. Are they whole fried eggs including whites?

Anyway, I just made a huge fat bomb supply which needed 2 kg of fat! I made choc, strawberry and lemon and then layered them in tubs! Each portion is around 90g of fat. Two a day is the plan.

I just finished reading Maria Emmerich's Keto Adapted and have a question about evening primrose oil of which she claims that phenylalanine in it has great benefits but then suggests we stay away from aspartame. I was under the impression that phenylalanine was the main reason aspartame is so bad?? In Australia things like sugar free chewing gum says on the pack separate to the ingredients list 'contains phenylalanine' .

I'm a bit confused by this, there are contradicting bits of info out there about phenylalanine.

Otherwise the book was pretty good. Not a fan of her recipes though. I like to keep things simple, too many flavours trigger me to want to eat more and her sweetener of choice, Swerve, says it contains natural flavours but say that it's from fruit and vegetable derived sources and not MSG but don't specify what sources, that seems a bit suspect to me... I use Now foods erythritol and add a few drops of top quality stevia when I make sweets. I am looking forward to not wanting to have any sweets at all though because once I have a little bit I want more even though I'm not hungry.

How long did it take for others to get over their sweet tooth on keto?

mugatea said:
ok thanks. Are they whole fried eggs including whites?

Anyway, I just made a huge fat bomb supply which needed 2 kg of fat! I made choc, strawberry and lemon and then layered them in tubs! Each portion is around 90g of fat. Two a day is the plan.

Yeah, i didn't eat any egg whites, much of anything other than broth and meat for the first 4 months, and then i tried eggs again and i didn't notice any reaction - though i bear in mind their depletion of certain B vitamins. Oh my they were delicious - fried in lard they crisp up nicely, but i keep the yolk soft. To be honest, i'm skint and so it was just an easy option and i've been eating them 2-3 times a week for the last few weeks because i'm out of sausages etc... :D

I have a question about mayo? I do it with olive oil, but can it be made with some other good oil?
has anyone done some experiments?

Martina said:
I have a question about mayo? I do it with olive oil, but can it be made with some other good oil?

I use macadamia oil (not everyone tolerates it). Other possible contenders are avocado oil or coconut oil - the taste will be different from what you are used to, though.

Another possibility that others have tried is "meatonaise" - with bacon fat. I have never tried it myself, so haven't got a recipe myself. But there is apparently one in Emmerich's Keto Adapted (which I haven't read yet).

Maybe someone else has tried it.

Martina said:

In the past Laura used Grapeseed oil which is easy to get - I dont know about now. I use half grapeseed and half melted butter which is quite easy to make.

I just want to say that I'm loving the food for the first time since I started (a month ago). Yesterday I had a small frying streal, couple of bits of bacon with two fried egg yolks followed by a 3 layered fat bomb (strawberry, lemon and Choc) - just sooo tasty!!

Today I had a bit of roasted pork belly with 3 layer fat bomb - just so good. Also bone broth. I tried the EE yesterday and fell asleep listening to Laura's voice - so relaxing will do it again tonight, but videos are so slow to load. Willy buy when I can afford.

Jamie

Good to hear you're "finding your stride" with the diet, mugatea.

mugatea said:
Martina said:

In the past Laura used Grapeseed oil which is easy to get - I dont know about now. I use half grapeseed and half melted butter which is quite easy to make.

Jamie

All the talk of mayo here got me craving it again - i lived off the bad stuff - so i did some looking at oils and settled on 'light olive oil'. Apparently it's the stuff they normally throw away (according to the 'how it's made' clip i watched) but i left it in the fridge (seems to whip up better when colder) and made some the other day; it was amazing. And because it's 'light' it doesn't have a very strong taste at all. If you make it with the extra virgin stuff, it is.

I'm curious about white wine vinegar, i had no ACV around, so used that. I've had a look for at external keto links and a quick search of the forum, but no word as to whether it's allowed in our protocol.. It is super tasty in mayo, alas, therefore it's probably banned :)

Back
Top Bottom