Ketogenic Diet - Powerful Dietary Strategy for Certain Conditions

" quite the opposite, telling me I’m ruining his life because I’m sick all the time" , personally i've been outside of the dynamics of relationships , for quite some time , but this doesnt read as .. healthy ( as a random person on the interwebs take it for whatever ).
Nope, I balanced it in myself by allowing him to support me financially and me not contributing to anything material.

This was years ago…. There have been some huge break throughs since then. His being unwell for the past year and needing me to lean on has been a huge benefit to our relationship.. interestingly, I knew it would take an illness for him to realise

Black pepper and turmeric, interesting, I’ve never had much success trying these before. I find them irritating in the gut, geeze, one thing for someone is a no go for someone else. Health is so individual and very hard to figure out. What a maze !
My wife takes it like this:

A spoonful of turmeric in a small spoon (like the ones used for coffee) in a glass of water. Then season a little with black pepper (like if you were seasoning a stew).

Stir well (it takes a while to dissolve) and drink.

It tastes spectacularly bad, but after fifteen minutes she already notices relief.

In herbalists the compound is sold already made, there are even capsules.

If you take a look at the website you will see it right away.

In short, it is not for use in food, but to use specifically as a remedy in that way.

Just in case.

It’s really just an experiment for now, and it has more to do with my partner than me.

He’s having issues with digestion, his lower oesophageal valve is not opening and closing properly. I try to convince him to do some vagus nerve exercises, other relaxing techniques, take some initiative in leaning and experimenting himself rather than relying on doctors who can’t tell him why, just doing things like prescribing very strong antacids. He’s using me as his guru which I don’t really like because I don’t have the answers to his problems and I can’t feel what his body is feeling. Something we can try together (I’m trying to be supportive, he’s been mad at me for not being able to fix it like a magician) is the low inflammation inducing of keto. And on the other hand it’s good for me to be able to offer him all kinds of support even though he’s never tried to support me in these kinds of ways with all my health issues (quite the opposite, telling me I’m ruining his life because I’m sick all the time) so it’s humbling for my ego to help.

He may have a hiatal hernia, where the stomach slips up above, and into, the diaphragm. If this is the case, you're on the right track with vagus nerve exercises. This is from Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve by Rosenberg:

What is a hiatal hernia? The stomach is on the left side of the abdomen normally below the respiratory diaphragm. The esophagus—the elastic muscular tube that connects the back of the mouth to the top of the stomach—passes through a round opening hiatus in the respiratory diaphragm. The ventral branch of the vagus nerve innervates the upper third of the esophagus allowing its muscle fibers to change their length and lift or lower the stomach, although the typical medical understanding of a hiatal hernia does not consider the role of the vagus nerve.

If there is good vagal function the esophagus can relax and lengthen, letting the stomach move down slightly into the abdomen as the diaphragm tightens on the inbreath. Ideally as the diaphragm ascends and descends freely along the esophagus the contents of the chest remain in the chest above the diaphragm and the contents of the abdomen remain in the abdomen below the diaphragm.

However in cases of vagal dysfunction the upper third of the esophagus tightens and shortens pulling the stomach up against the bottom of the respiratory diaphragm.

In extreme cases the esophagus can be so tight and short that it pulls the stomach up against the diaphragm forcing its opening to enlarge and pulling part of the stomach up into the chest. This is called a hiatal hernia. The word hiatus means “gap or interruption ” and a hernia is a protrusion through an opening in tissue.

In addition to major difficulties breathing people with hiatal hernias often have acid reflux. When stomach acid comes up and burns the esophagus or back of the throat the result is acid reflux also called GERD gastroesophageal reflux disease or heartburn. Other symptoms can include a bloated feeling after eating and a propensity to eat several small meals rather than three normal meals daily.

Normal breathing should involve the diaphragm moving up and down (see “Diaphragmatic Breathing” on page 101). In cases of breathing difficulties such as asthma and cold lungs aka COPD, I have found the shortened esophagus to be a factor that disrupts normal breathing—in fact, I believe it is at the core of many breathing disorders. When the stomach is pulled up into it, the diaphragm cannot descend freely on the inbreath.

When I treat the vagus nerve with the Basic Exercise and then use a technique adapted from visceral osteopathy to lengthen and relax the esophagus, breathing difficulties disappear immediately, and the client breathes deeply without effort. That’s often all it takes!

One of those two videos I posted earlier includes the Basic Exercise. It's actually very easy. The other one is the Salamander exercise, which is also great for vagal tone + neck and shoulder release. Both may allow him to relax, relaxing his esophagus, and allowing the stomach to slip back down where it belongs. The good thing about these exercises is that they can be done almost anywhere at any time! He may also consider seeing an osteopath to deal with thoracic tension. Or maybe he's a candidate for deep-tissue massage, too!

He may have a hiatal hernia, where the stomach slips up above, and into, the diaphragm. If this is the case, you're on the right track with vagus nerve exercises. This is from Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve by Rosenberg:

One of those two videos I posted earlier includes the Basic Exercise. It's actually very easy. The other one is the Salamander exercise, which is also great for vagal tone + neck and shoulder release. Both may allow him to relax, relaxing his esophagus, and allowing the stomach to slip back down where it belongs. The good thing about these exercises is that they can be done almost anywhere at any time! He may also consider seeing an osteopath to deal with thoracic tension. Or maybe he's a candidate for deep-tissue massage, too!

He’s recently had an MRI, barium swallow test and endoscopy. Nothing amiss came up except for the valve not working properly (it has caused him to nearly choke on his foods few times) and some slight issues with bacteria in his stomach which he’s using herbal approach for.

Very big wheat eater his whole life, being Italian it’s bread and pasta at every meal. Higher fat and no grains has been helping him but he’s very unhappy about the discomfort and wants to try to fix it. From what I can see it’s been going on since he was a little kid and unable to vomit when he was sick.

But yes, this poor dude has spent his whole life in a fight it flight response and has no idea how to relax unless he falls asleep. He could really use taking care of his vagus nerve so he can chill out, even if it doesn’t fix his valve problem.

Yes yes yes, thank you Breo. I have most certainly not been giving myself enough self care with all my family responsibilities and everyone needing a piece of me all the time. Baths have always been a go to of mine for relief, I’ve only had one in the past year due to lack of self love and not putting my needs above others sometimes.

Tonight, I’m going to do exactly what you suggest.
Yup, I know that too quite well too, putting my needs last. I am focused on changed that for real :) How are the baths going?

Yup, I know that too quite well too, putting my needs last. I am focused on changed that for real :) How are the baths going?

I got in last night, as you suggested, salt and mg. It was so relaxing. Afterwards I had a long stretch with lots of crackles and little pops coming from behind my knee, and when I hung from the rings outside my back crackled more too. I’m more crunchy than a breakfast cereal.

Today it feels like my knee is really swollen. Hopefully if I continue the baths I can get more of this releasing.

It’s so hard to make time for things for myself. I literally get little time for much in the day, baby won’t nap without me. I have to try to do everything in an hour or 2 at night when she goes to bed. I know it won’t stay like this forever so I do try to give her whatever she needs first.

Being a parent is tough. And then we have all the other things we have to do too. I’m very blessed to not have to work so I can’t complain about not enough me time (too much).

I got in last night, as you suggested, salt and mg. It was so relaxing. Afterwards I had a long stretch with lots of crackles and little pops coming from behind my knee, and when I hung from the rings outside my back crackled more too. I’m more crunchy than a breakfast cereal.

Today it feels like my knee is really swollen. Hopefully if I continue the baths I can get more of this releasing.

It’s so hard to make time for things for myself. I literally get little time for much in the day, baby won’t nap without me. I have to try to do everything in an hour or 2 at night when she goes to bed. I know it won’t stay like this forever so I do try to give her whatever she needs first.

Being a parent is tough. And then we have all the other things we have to do too. I’m very blessed to not have to work so I can’t complain about not enough me time (too much).
(Sorry for my spelling mistakes in the last post :)

Thats great, if there are such natural crackles from stretches. Just additional, I originally meant either salt or mg baths. My experience with myself and clients is, that then you know which effect each of them has on you. You can better choose what you need and when. Also mg can initiate heavy metal detox reactions. So its advised to have an eye on that.

and when I hung from the rings outside my back crackled more too. I’m more crunchy than a breakfast cereal.
Unfortunately that won't fix your hurting back. May help with neck and shoulder tho. Its a reflex - because you have pain - that you go to the rings or horizontal pull-up bar and try to stretch your spine. It will just hurt further.

I was waiting for Chu to give you stretching tips and also to see what kind of answers you get. On this music production forum one composer asked about a similar hip / spine pain.
Question:
Hi all. For the past year or so i have been dealing with chronic back pain. On bad days, its completely debilitating, on good days, i can still only sit and work for an hour or so at a time. I have barely worked at all in the last year, have had to turn down many sessions, and am basically at a breaking point.

I have seen all the doctors, doing physical therapy, eat extremely clean, take all the supplements, medication etc etc etc. Im still struggling most days. I bought a standing desk, and that helps, but not really. My next step is to try a new chair. I have a herman miller chair, which is supposed to be the best for this, but its not cutting it.

Does anyone have any experience with mitigating chronic pain while producing / mixing? Any chairs you can recommend that i may have missed in my searches?
Answers were similar - holistic, food, exercise, chiropractor, etc.. - , only members here are more knowledgeable.
Here is what lengthy post I wrote to him:
You allowed yourself go flaccid and limp like a dropped pancake from a pan.

You need light athletics. Jogging with sprints on empty stomach, coupled with frog jumps, some push ups. Pull-ups, where you need to learn to just hang really nicely stretching your spine, attempting to pull yourself up couple inches then let yourself fall again still hanging.

Stretching: turning your torso gently from side to side

Sit ups: don't sit up fully, only lift your ribcage, check it out on YT.

Good spine stretches - hanging from a bar by your hands - and try turning your hips from side to side

Do wonderful hip splits with going into squat position and with your elbows against your knees push your knees OUT combating some pain ==> gently raise your ass an inch then let it fall back multiple times, while pushing your knees OUT assertively with your elbows against pain. Then stand up and do "hulahoop" hip rolls in both directions with your hands your hips. Works wonders for me.

Try a chiropractor, but without exercise it'll be like a pill for a headache..

Also you badly need to buy another chair which has completely different padding for your ass and lower spine.. Then switch chairs daily.

Or just do as I do: place hard blankets below your ass and some hard pillows. Try to unbalance your comfy sitting position.
Roll a towel to the width of 3 inches and place it behind you at your tailbone, so it supports your spine.

Unbalance and change the surface geography of your chair(s) as much as possible.

There is a chair looking like a flat top mushroom - leather cylinder - and you sit on it and its bottom is fixed, but the top rolls around with your ass as you change your angle - move the top of the chair - swiveling around your central position = your spine will be moving around, you can try that as well.

But for me the hip splits and chaotic surface padding helped most.

Exercise will give you more energy for the day as well.

Better look for a Jiu-jitsu or MMA club in your vicinity and ask them to show you basic exercise training and stretching. There is a wonderful two-man spine stretching, where (with your back) you lean on the other man's back and he takes your arms making soft "spring-motions" with his knees up and down he stretches your spine out wonderfully. Try that.

Don't forget to stand up from time to time and grab your hands and move them 180 degrees from side to side, while your legs, head remain in position. Then roll your head, chin touching your chest and raised shoulders.

You have pain because you cemented yourself into your chairs default surface padding, which fixed your spine disks into one position for eternity. BAD IDEA!!!!!

If you have a SOFT BED where-on you maintain Horrible sleeping positions:
Important to throw out your bed to the trash. Buy a thin and hard coconut mattress - 3 and half inches max height - and put it on the floor. Put some thin plastic sheets, thin bed-covers, real floss silk sheets UNDERNEATH in a multi-layer configuration for the winter. In summer leave only a simple thin sheet under it. For your head you can use pillows to hold your head level with your spine. Healthiest is sleeping on your left side. Get a compass / app on your mobile phone and TURN the bed toward NORTH accurately. Leave it there permanently if possible.

Sleep on it. You'll get used to the hardness in a couple nights, just imagine you are a soldier on a battlefield. EXCELLENT FOR YOUR SPINE HEALTH!!
You'll never ever sleep in a soft bed after that.
Couple nights will make all your spine and hip pain go away if those pains are merely from bad sleeping positions. Cheap and supremely effective! Don't be afraid from getting a cold in winter: use multiple warm / plastic sheet layers underneath!

Try to sleep some hours without pillows during the night as well: flat on your back, flat on your belly, various "one leg raised" positions on either side, etc.. Your health and energy for the day will improve wonderfully with your hip / spine pains subsiding drastically.

First I was worried that because you were pregnant this may be an entirely different, gynecologically related problem. But your answers show just a typical aging joints and slipped disk problem. From sitting at your desk for a long time, from lifting weights / moving furniture / heavy implements, etc.. that you are not used to and you are not doing it the spine-sparing way they teach on YT how to safely lift weights, but we don't do that and get injured, result is slipped disks, etc...

I had debilitating right upper-hip pain for a year - exactly where this blue figure puts its hands -
Herniated-Disc2.jpg
and I made it completely go away:
For example until ~the beginning of this year I had strong and debilitating spine-sprains[?]. Which were occasional. But got more frequent serious until last year. When this spine-pain hit, I could only whimper like a dog and the pain instantly propelled me into a forced position on my chair or I slid onto the floor, un-moving in a twisted position, where the pain was endurable. I couldn't move.
Pain got so bad during fasted-sprinting exercises, that when I frog-jumped in the cold weather this pain nearly immediately flared up and killed my hips and shot down on my whole leg, my knees, pinching the nerves it made my leg muscles refusing to obey me. Imagine a "sports athlete" suddenly starts limping during sprinting.. Even jogging I could barely perform. Went out to exercise in the countryside and ended up limping home! All kinds of pains followed. Couldn't spin, could turn 90 degrees, couldn't sit properly. Turning from the walkway to go into a store, pain, pain pain. All my life, basically, pain was popping up periodically.

1. Chu emphasized stretching and told us she frequently stretches with Ark. Ark is apparently a professional stretcher.
2. You posted you have an adult son, so you are no longer a spring-chicken. Aging / older people's joints - usually reaching 40 years old and past - just require more chiropractic stretching and rolling.

Here is the solution:
1. Fix your sleeping position

I slept on this soft bed
Iron_Spring_Soft_Bed_to_the_trash!.jpg
with iron springs that Laura warned against - and I knew I had to throw it out, but I was putting it off forever. I was afraid that I'm completely crazy... (with debilitating immobilizing pain)?? .... People just don't throw out their beds, right? Everybody sleeps on soft beds with large pillows in the movies and TV, right? What will the people say?? Are you crazy??!

In 1997 my father-in-law got a bad slipped disk / his spine injured because he was boastfully and ignorantly carrying too many big cement bags and bragging about being able to also lift metal wheelbarrows chock-full with gravel. His doctor told him, to fetch a heavy wooden door and sleep on it, because that offered a completely flat surface required for his spine to completely avoid the horrible sleeping positions on a soft bed and consequently the usual pains all over the body just after waking up.

So I delayed and delayed forever one of my best life decisions in life to throw my bed out "to the trash". As you can see its no longer in use. Now I sleep on this in the Summer:
three_inch_thick_coconut_mattress_Summer_with_winter_flip_sides.jpg
-- turned so it faces North --
and during the winter I put under it a half an inch thick multi layer floss (Chinese silkworm) sheets, plastic sheets, warm "bio-sheet" that you see on the top my "thrown out bed" on the photo.
Thickness of this hard coconut mattress is 3 inches max, as you can see here:
hard_mattress_max_thickness_you_must_use.jpg

Pillows only during the winter and mostly to sleep on the left or the right side. Then I turn to my belly or on back, push off the pillows and only wrap my head into thick folded (dry) bath towel - head inside the folds for warmth, so I have a thin "pillowing" I rest my head on. As I turn off the gas heater / radiator in my room for the night for pitch black darkness and zero noise.

Draft:
No draft is allowed in the room. So the chimney opening AND the window OR the door are never open at the same time, because it creates a through-draft at ground level, which is now "below the bed"-height essentially. Draft goes there on the floor, I found, and its cold and affects me now lying on the mattress on the floor. So I completely blocked out the draft in winter and now I sleep like a baby.

One of the really few best decisions in my life.

Above hard mattress prevents bad sleeping positions that the C's warned against as well. Someone might be able to find it in the sessions. Keeps my hips and spine STRAIGHT. On a soft and fluffy bed your hips - the heaviest part of your body SINKS INTO THE BED creating resulting in a wide selection of horrible unhealthy sleeping positions, which makes you sick and painful all over in the morning! Fun? Nope.

2. Split your hips to stop slipped disk / spine pain
Second is the hip split exercise. This is for older people, not for sportsmen. Not for super stretchy young Selfie-Ready Babes, so everybody can do this. Exactly this type is working as tested. This is an old "karate-stretch" - is surprisingly unavailable on the net, no reference pictures, no YT videos I could find.

Method is only remotely similar to a ballerina split, and I couldn't find it on image searches, its not yoga malasana, but exactly this karate hip stretching, which allegedly wrestlers use as well. Don't mind the quickly made spontaneous videos + inappropriate clothing, ugly fat belly under the shirt, etc.., the stretching is that matters!

Hip Split demonstration:
VIDEO 1

Hip Split demonstration: VIDEO 2

I'm 52. Above two videos work well for older people, no dangerous positions, no knee or leg breaking danger, like you see on Youtube done by Super Young Muscular Titans. This is no acrobatic fitness, nor dangerous yoga BS that you find YT in abundance...

3. Reduce your carbs intake to half
Extra collagen to repair your damaged knees, joints. Too many carbs create acidic blood and uric acid crystals on the joints causing sharp pains even during normal, everyday movement.
Years ago I ate too many carbs to overload my brain so I can do lots of computer graphics content needed for our project. Now I halved that carbs amount with help of ground pig skin collagen. Finely ground type. Link 1. Three tea-spoons every other day[!], stirred into only warm = ready to eat soup or pushed into (only warm not hot!!) solid food - like mashing potato with a fork: so you no longer can see the white-ish powder.Link 2.
Recent 6-part podcast also mentions peptides: Podcast 5 and Podcast 3.

This healed my sharp knee pain, which frequently I had on the front side of the kneecaps sharp pain, flashing down like lightning. Or weakened, all around knee-joint pain from spinning, turning, doing turning karate kicks, or if you dance frequently incorporating elements including turning on one leg on your heels, etc...

4. Make your sitting chair surface as uneven as possible and change your sitting-terrain frequently
Put blankets, pillows, towels, foam, etc.. under your buttocks while you sit on your comfy expensive chair. Put a rolled thick towel or two BEHIND YOUR LOWER SPINE, so you feel your lower spine - just above your hip, supported == pushed forward, while you sit. Remain there, reading or working in that position for a while. Main thing is you must make your previously unchanged sitting position at your desk that you cemented yourself into like an unmoving sculpture as chaotic and changing as possible. Buy physiotherapy chairs, looking like a rubber cylinder, which move with your bottom as you wiggle your lower spine, while you sit.

Do the PRIEST PRAYER POSITION:
Lay a thick triple folded bio-winterbed sheet before your desk and KNEEL onto it, like a priest praying and continue working for a while until your hips and knees go completely asleep and you feel - after 50 - as if your hip joints got fixed with concrete.. This is just to make you not sit all the time in your chair. If you read on the computer, try to walk around a bit, while reading or watching a video interview. Keep walking up and down your room while watching the video.

Super Comfy Spine stretching
Just like this girl does. Stand up, facing front, legs slightly apart. Clasp your hands and bring them to the side, while your head remains in a forward facing position. Gently turn your clasped hands to the other side. Then turn your head as well, while turning your arms left and right. You can gently turn your spine a little too. Your bones should crackle in your spine.

That's it! Laura complained about pain for many years. I had pain for many years. Using this excellent research and awareness expanding forum our mind-capacity is expanding and we get smarter. We start to employ smart life decisions. We improve our everyday logistics.

So this is my story of completely stopping and erasing my debilitating hip and spine pain!

Last edited:
'So I completely blocked out the draft in winter and now I sleep like a baby. In the summer too, made sure there is no draft and surprise, surprise! Its MUCH COOLER IN THE SUMMER SLEEPING LIKE THIS! Therapeutically cool and fresh. No more suffering from the summer heat at night as I was often unable to sleep and just got heat and lack of sleep exhaustion. Not anymore! Now on the floor on this mattress during super-hot summers I slept like a baby! The summer heat no longer affected me and I could work, because I had energy from this healthy sleeping method!

Great informative post lilies.

I started to do the exercises only to be struck down with one of those killer colds where everything hurts.. been taking lots of pain meds just to be alive and look after sick family too. I cannot say anything about what has helped as I’m eating carbs for energy and the pain medication masks much of my discomfort.

I’ll revisit the info you posted again when we have recovered and start again.. two steps forward 3 back it feels!

Oh and the soft bed. I looked into tatami mats to sleep on and construct a silk tent around it. It’s just so hard to want to give up that luxurious bed I have. It doesn’t always hurt my back but I’m heavier than usual and for some reason I sleep more comfortable with a few extra kg of body fat.

Back
Top Bottom