Kidney Stones

Hesper

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hello everyone,

I'm currently on my 6th or 7th hour of passing a kidney stone. This has happened to me once before, and, like last time, it started out as what seemed to be just a mild gut ache. So I drank some bone broth and just expected to wait things out. I carried out most of my day for the next three hours or so but now I'm pretty sure it's a kidney stone, and it has been an extremely feverish and painful experience. I think I'm reliving too many negative emotions right now to handle it well on my own, and need a mirror about my decision not to go to the doctor.

I don't have the money to visit the ER and have several very, very important items to take care of this week, so I can't have any gluten/carb-filled solutions taking me out of the game. Is this a good decision or not? Thank you for your time.

Re: Kidney Stone

Did you also have a fever the last time this happened? I would say if you are in very bad pain and if you have a fever, you should go see a doctor, at least to find out what's wrong with you.

Heimdallr said:
Did you also have a fever the last time this happened? I would say if you are in very bad pain and if you have a fever, you should go see a doctor, at least to find out what's wrong with you.
Agree wholeheartedly. You should go see a doctor as soon as you can, Hesper.

I too agree. Is there someone who can take you to the ER? Drink LOTS of water in the meantime.

Thanks. I'm calling my mother, I think she might be able to take me. I will drink more water now. I am still worried about what will happen when I am there. Thank you. I definitely needed your help.

Hang in there, buddy! Here's a long distance hug your way. :hug2:

EDIT - Apparently acidity can help greatly in dissolving the stone so it's recommended to squeeze lemons into your water.

Hi, Hesper: I've been experiencing kidney stones since mid January. About 8 rounds now. They can be agonizing. It's hard to believe an 1/8" chunk of rock could hurt so badly.

Once again you've inspired me, my friend. I'll start working on relating my own experiences in the morning in hopes that others will be helped from what I have learned.

I agree, you should see a doctor to verify that is what is happening.

One suggestion that I have found helpful.
During the third round, after I had been up most of the night with the pain, I remembered a topical ointment that had helped me when I had pain in my hip. It's call Aspercreme just over the counter stuff. I thought why not try it. I rubbed some on my lower back. The pain was gone in about 10 minutes. So much so that I thought the stone had passed. It hadn't, I could still feel it there the next day but it didn't hurt. It moved on later.

Since then I haven't been using the hydrocodon the doctor prescribed. I even keep a tube of the creme in my locker at work. It gets me through the day without missing work time.

Take care, Man. :flowers:

Mac

Thank you so much Mac. Good guy :) I will be on my way to the hospital in a few moments. Just in case you are wondering why there is silence. Thank you everyone :hug2:

Hey Hesper! Sorry to hear of this! Good luck at the hospital. Get well soon and keep us updated. :flowers:

I'm sorry to hear that Hesper, keep us updated, and I hope you get better soon.

Thank you everyone for your very kind and generous input.

I will post more about what happened later, as I want to explore a number of emotions that were processed during this event. It was a kidney stone, but there was no way I could have passed it on my own. I'm much better now though I'm still pretty loopy following surgery. So I will refrain from a longer post now, as I need a clear head, but want to let you know I'm fine. Thanks!

Kidney Stones: Me too

Hesper's post about a kidney stone prompted me to share my experiences over the last 9 months. I have a "I'm a hero, I can handle it myself" program that has kept me from posting about this. Well, even if I could find the solution myself that wouldn't help others that may be having the same problem.

One morning, mid January this year I got up to go to work as usual. I felt a pain in my lower right back, made a mental note to call the chiropractor for an appointment. The pain kept increasing, within an hour I was walking around the house yelling and crying. I was becoming frightened. I decided to go to the ER. The pain was so severe that I didn't think I could drive. My wife took me there.

At first the doctor thought it was a muscle spasm. After about 20 minutes with me continuing to moan they decided that a kidney stone was possible. I hadn't thought of that. They gave me a shot of morphine, which helped then another later. Afterward, I checked the dosage they had given. Even with the two injections it was still a relatively low dose. Still, the pain subsided, though the morphine made me feel very woozy. I laid there not caring about anything.

Then they rolled me off for a CT scan. It showed a stone about 1/8" in diameter, almost into the bladder. What I didn't know was that the charge for that scan was $4500! My ER bill was about $6500. Most of which was the scan. Insurance covered most of it, but it was still a chunk.

They sent me home with a Hydrocodon for pain and Flomax which is supposed to relax the tubes helping the stone to pass. I will never take Flomax again. It gave me the shivers, I couldn't sleep, and made feel nauseous. It also caused retrograde ejaculation. This is when semen discharges into the bladder rather than the intended route. I researched it, it's not considered harmful, but it ain't right either. It took about a month for this to return to normal.

The second time, about a month later, I drove myself to the ER from work. They gave me just one dose of morphine and I think the stone passed while I was there. They wanted to do scan but I declined. Nothing to be learned from it. I knew it was a kidney stone.

The third time, about a month after the second, it started about bed time. I decided not to go the ER, even not take any hydrocordon. The pain grew too intense so I did took the pain medication, then another dose about 30 minutes later. This dulled the pain but not enough to let me sleep. I stayed in bed until about 2:00 AM then got up and did some reading on the forum. About 3:00 AM I thought of a topical creme that had helped me when I had hip pain. Aspercreme, which is just aspirin for topical use. Worth a try. I applied some to the lower back. The pain was gone in about ten minutes. I could feel the stone there the next morning, but there was little pain. It passed later in the day.

Since then the stones have occurred more frequently with two only a week apart. I have continued to use the Aspercreme for pain, it allows me to continue may day and I don't need narcotics. I keep a tube at work, this has gotten me through the day several times.

The most recent time was two days ago. I was just about to get into the FIR sauna with I started to feel a pain in my left lower back. (BTW the first stone was in my right side all the rest have been in my left.) Also a warning that comes first is pain in my penis. I got in the bag anyway. The pain increased until I considered getting out and applying the creme. I stuck it out through the full time in the FIR. I could feel the stone moving downward as I lay there. I applied the creme afterwards. The pain stopped and I'm sure the stone passed. Fastest transit yet. 1 1/2 hrs start to finish. Researching it later, heat eases the pain for some and may help it pass more quickly. If there is a next time I'll try a heating pad.

I've done much research on this. Tried some things, no complete solution yet. I read that green tea with help prevent stones so I started drinking it in January. I like green tea, it makes my stomach feel good and is relaxing. But it did not prevent the stones.

I tried increasing magnesium citrate to bowel tolerance, which seems to be low for me. No luck. I tried an herbal formula from Solaray called Kidney that has most of the herbs that are suggested for kidney stones.
Most recently I have been adding baking soda to my tea and water, as I read that acidity is a cause of kidney stones. This seemed to work for about 3 weeks. It's difficult to get the right dose of baking soda. Too much, I feel flat, not good. I looked into PH test strips. There are none available at pharmacy's here. Looking on the internet I find that there are many poor reviews as to their accuracy.

Since I didn't feel well with 1/8 tsp of baking soda in 8 oz water I slowly tapered off. Then it happened again on Saturday.

Since I started lowering my carbs I have continued to eat some nuts, especially almonds. I just haven't been able to feel full on just meat and fats. Not enough fat it seems. I will increase fat to help satisfy my hunger. For some reason I have mental image of how much I should eat, probably less than I neccessary for me. My research finds that almonds are highly acidic, so I'm putting them off limits.

I am not sure where to go from here. I have increased the baking soda again, stopping the almonds. I keep trying to think what changed in January that started this. I was lowering my carbs then, increasing meats and fats. I know I decreased the magnesium I was taking then but don't remember my thinking at the time. Increasing it since has not helped

This has led to frustration, even a little anger when I feel the symptoms starting. "Damn, not again".

Sorry for the length of this post. I wanted to get in as much information as possible. Suggestions are welcomed of course.

Mac

Hesper said:
Thank you everyone for your very kind and generous input.

I will post more about what happened later, as I want to explore a number of emotions that were processed during this event. It was a kidney stone, but there was no way I could have passed it on my own. I'm much better now though I'm still pretty loopy following surgery. So I will refrain from a longer post now, as I need a clear head, but want to let you know I'm fine. Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know Hesper and a speedy recovery! :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom