Kundalini

I did try to dissuade him from doing it. This is another question I have: at what point does giving advice become interfering with one's free will?

I think once you step into the territory of trying to persuade someone, you're trying to control that person. If he asked for your opinion, you can state that it's a terrible idea for [reasons], but he is free to take it or leave it. Think of a greedy merchant in a bazaar that's constantly trying to pitch things, grabbing customers by the ear and trying to hypnotize them. Compare that to a till worker at a fast food restaurant. The person at the counter really doesn't care if you come asking for food or not, but they do their utmost to give what is asked (assuming they're competent/considerate). Opposed to this is the merchant who is heavily invested in getting people to buy his product. Instead of selling an item, you're sharing your view of reality. Respecting free will and having humility is the role of the till worker. The merchant is one who wishes at root to control another person (and their view of reality).

Some time has elapsed and I've spoken to him again. The good news is that he is open to listening to what I have to say but he is still deep in his illusion. I'm concerned about his rapid and drastic personality change, that he quit his job and is trusting the universe to provide for him without taking proper and sensible action to organize his life.

I think it's a waste of time. People need to want to change. And I mean viscerally want. Often, changing course only comes after a lot of suffering. I don't think an exposition on how wrongheaded he is will change his mind. He's enjoying himself, so his system one will have no trouble compelling system two to come up with justifications and explanations.

Any advice on steps to take? Or if I should get involved at all at trying to fix it? He claims that he wants to seek truth and increase knowledge. The question is does he really want to?

He doesn't need fixing as far as he's concerned. I think you should save your help for someone who is actually asking for it.

Back
Top Bottom