"Life Without Bread"

Peacemaker said:
My question is, is there anything else I may have overlooked that would alleviate my symptoms and the now seeming brain flu. I appreciate all input and assistance.

Learning is fun. :cry:

What about your intake of vit D3? Are you taking enough potassium? Dry skin can be symptom of low vit D3 and also low potassium. Maybe you should take bone broth every day!? It helped me a lot.

Peacemaker said:
My question is, is there anything else I may have overlooked that would alleviate my symptoms and the now seeming brain flu. I appreciate all input and assistance.

Peacemaker, I agree with Laura that your flu may be diet unrelated. Well, at least up to a certain degree, considering that you are going through a major transition by changing your body's fuel from glucose to fat, your body may be a little bit more vulnerable to flu bugs at this stage.

Regarding your levels of energy, it does take a while to transition to ketosis, during which it is normal to feel tired. Personally, it took me well over 2 months, and I felt so tired that even walking was an effort. My brain was also struggling to cope, I had difficulties concentrating and seemed to be in a constant brain fog. However, I began the diet before this thread started, so wasn't really fully aware of what was going on in my body. I was doing the Candida diet and simply lowered my carb intake to a great degree, but didn't up the fat as much as I should have, nor lowered the carbs enough to transition to ketosis faster. When I did transition I knew it straight away. I just felt great and have been ever since.
Are you eating enough fat? If you are still transitioning it may well be that indeed carbs make you feel better, because that is still your primary fuel. Do you know on average what is your daily carb intake?

In any case I would definitely read the books you haven't yet had a chance to read as they are packed with extremely valuable information. Primal body, which you'll be receiving soon, is a very comprehensive one, I find.

herondancer said:
Hi loreta,

Remember that research here is a work in progress which means that a "fact" known today, could change tomorrow depending on new data. Quinoa as a grain choice seemed to be a good idea when the only concern was removing gluten from our diets. But further knowledge gathering brought to light the existence of lectins in all grains (the search button is your friend!) which proved to be serious anti-nutrients, and harmful to the digestive system. So while quinoa may better than wheat, no grains is best of all.

Reading this and the other diet and health threads through completely will show you how things evolved. Happy researching!

Thanks Herondancer. I am in that intensive research and I thank all the people who are helping me here. I am very grateful for this help.

Loreta

I have a question about MATE, the beverage that almost every Argentinian take. I stopped to take definitely my coffee, so I am looking for various substitutes. They say that MATE is an excellent beverage for health. But I wanted to know if you know about this?

Thank you!

Laura said:
...Anyway, there IS a nasty flu bug that is going around anyway so you just may have gotten it and it has nothing to do with the diet except that your body hasn't fully adapted yet and is getting mixed signals about how to cope...

I was thinking that too -- there is a tendency to think that the change in diet is causing everything that happens. I am amazed at how I stopped "coming down with things," though, when I changed what I ate.

[Got to go -- the cats are hungry and they are all over me. They are doing well on a paleo diet too!]

Megan said:
... I am amazed at how I stopped "coming down with things," though, when I changed what I ate.
Me too. :)

Finally cracked the liver sensitivity issue. :rockon:

Bought some fresh organic lambs liver yesterday, soaked it overnight in a mixture of coconut milk and approximately ten percent cider vinegar, and today, fried the lambs liver with sliced Brussels sprouts (didn't have any onions :)) and lardons. The Brussels sprouts and lardons were both fried in lard first, then I added some butter to the pan, and finally, the lambs liver was sliced into 1cm thick pieces, and then fried in the pan, each side for about two minutes each.

Success, there was no reaction. :rockon:

Prodigal Son said:
Megan said:
... I am amazed at how I stopped "coming down with things," though, when I changed what I ate.
Me too. :)

Finally cracked the liver sensitivity issue. :rockon:

Bought some fresh organic lambs liver yesterday, soaked it overnight in a mixture of coconut milk and approximately ten percent cider vinegar, and today, fried the lambs liver with sliced Brussels sprouts (didn't have any onions :)) and lardons. The Brussels sprouts and lardons were both fried in lard first, then I added some butter to the pan, and finally, the lambs liver was sliced into 1cm thick pieces, and then fried in the pan, each side for about two minutes each.

Success, there was no reaction. :rockon:

Great to hear, Prodigal Son. :) Hopefully, you'll be able to keep eating liver with no reactions.

I also never "come down with anything" since getting on this diet. But I made the transition NOT during "flu season" and I was getting plenty of sun to boot. FWIW.

Laura said:
Don't know if you take N-Acetyl Cysteine, but it has been a life-saver for me. Google it. That's one of the few supplements that I still take almost every day. Sometimes, two or three times a day.

If you've been taking the dextrose, you haven't been fully in ketosis...

Anyway, there IS a nasty flu bug that is going around anyway so you just may have gotten it and it has nothing to do with the diet except that your body hasn't fully adapted yet and is getting mixed signals about how to cope. It can take awhile on the diet for DNA to give the orders to switch a lot of systems.

I'm not on NAC yet, I'll check it out.

I've been watchful for milk/sugar products in my diet and supplements. If it got in, it had to have been a powerful Houdini act. :ninja:

I had a feeling that nasty flu bug might be involved, but it just so hard to imagine it feeling this way. I've never had a flu beat me up so recklessly.

But, I suppose this is all a matter of patience, until the body learns to cope.

Regulattor said:
Peacemaker said:

What about your intake of vit D3? Are you taking enough potassium? Dry skin can be symptom of low vit D3 and also low potassium. Maybe you should take bone broth every day!? It helped me a lot.

I've been supplementing liquid D3 and Potassium Citrate. I started Bone Broth yesterday.

Endymion said:
Ben said:
I have had the exact same experience and this theory makes a lot of sense. When I first took some xylitol I was at the very beginning stages of dietary changes and the bloating and discomfort was quite noticeable, and also something I was experiencing occasionally anyway. Now I have virtually none of these symptoms, I had a pretty large amount of xylitol yesterday and there was no problem whatsoever.

Have you been having xylitol every day, or was yesterday's intake the first in a few days or some time? I ask because I find that the laxative, bloating and uncomfortable effects of xylitol are cumulative. I can take half to one teaspoon of it occasionally and have no problems, as long as I don't have any for the next day or two. My problems with it happened after about four or five days of regular ingestion.

Well the recent intake was the first in some time because I have generally replaced xylitol with butter tea recently. However, before this I have had several periods of taking xylitol daily with no symptoms so I think my observations are still valid.

I just wanted to add that I was also having some intestinal episodes where I would get VERY bloated and miserble. my stomach would be hard as a rock! then eventually things would start moving and everything would clear out...
anyhow, some have mentioned taking a digestive enzyme, which I started the other day, HUGE difference and I feel so much better!
I believe that Laura also mentioned that increasing FAT would also help things move along... but I generally eat a lot of fat, including butter and olive oil, and animal fat from whatever meat I'm eating.
Anyhow, just thought I'd post my findings...

I love this forum! :D

LadyRodgers said:
I just wanted to add that I was also having some intestinal episodes where I would get VERY bloated and miserble. my stomach would be hard as a rock! then eventually things would start moving and everything would clear out...
anyhow, some have mentioned taking a digestive enzyme, which I started the other day, HUGE difference and I feel so much better!
I believe that Laura also mentioned that increasing FAT would also help things move along... but I generally eat a lot of fat, including butter and olive oil, and animal fat from whatever meat I'm eating.
Anyhow, just thought I'd post my findings...

I love this forum! :D

Good to hear LadyRodgers!! :D

LadyRodgers said:

If you don't mind, may I ask which product you're using, like which brand? Had some trouble finding a good one!

If you don't mind, may I ask which product you're using, like which brand? Had some trouble finding a good one!

I literally went to the nearest store that carries organic supplements and found one there, which includes ox bile. I don't knwo the brand name off hand but I will try to remember to look and let you know... :huh:

after reading the posts on digestive enzymes and reading this article: http://www.sott.net/articles/show/241808-Milk-Thistle-Boosting-Your-Liver-Function-The-Natural-Way

I made sure that I bought the kind with the ox bile.

Edit=Quote

Hi,
I am a little confuse about the exact BUs about Pasta. In the book LIFE WITHOUT BREAD, at page 7 there is a exhibit about some unities. Under Pasta the authors say that 1/4 cup of dry pasta is equal to 1 BUs. But if you check at the end of the book their table, page 220, they say that 1/4 cup of Pasta is equal to 3.3 BUs. Now I don't know which measure to take in consideration. Can someone tell me what is the true unity?

By the way: I am reading with great seriousness the threat of LIFE WITHOUT BREAD and it is of an extraordinary interest. And the book is very, very good.

Thanks for helping me.

Loreta

Best thing to do, if you put the info in "Primal Body, Primal Mind" together with "Life Without Bread", is to avoid anything made with grains at all. Eliminate ALL gluten bearing products from your life. It is not only better for you, it makes it a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom