"Life Without Bread"

Rhythmik said:
So I switched to organic grass-fed meat a while ago and it's been great.
I found out though that the sausages the butcher sells me are made with rice meal.
They're gluten-free, but is this advisable/ok to eat?

Rice does contain gluten-like proteins, so perhaps it may be better to not eat them? Maybe you can make your own sausages?

Hello everyone :)

I do not speak English and it's hard to keep track of a series of the forum. There is much that I want to read, and I get lost in such a text.

My story about life without bread.

Much I love bread and pastries, cakes, cheeses .... More than a month ago, I threw it all. That was not a problem.

I feel good, and I lost 6 kg.

How is my financial situation is bad, I can not buy meat as much as I should. :nuts:

My diet:

1: Basics of nutrition: bacon, eggs, chicken, sometimes pork, plenty of butter, soup bones, can of sardines and lemon.

2. Vegetables: lettuce, a little pepper, onion, zucchini, spinach, Swiss chard. In the market to buy a meadow plants. Radicchio, grilled, wild garlic. (Salad with olive oil and apple vinegar)

Sometimes the rice cooked in the soup from the bones with the addition of butter.
Sometimes buckwheat and corn flour.
Morning coffee (not strong) with 2-3 gr. sugar (I have to buy stevia)

About lectins I read (in my language) the following:

1. Beans when soaked in water 1-2 days, and if the water changes to destroy lectins.

2. Lectins in milk is destroyed in the process of fermentation (eg sour milk, ie yogurt)

Is that true?

I made yogurt. The cooked milk I added apple vinegar and a little yogurt. So I got a big bowl of yogurt. Similarly, the real and kefir.

Any advice for me is welcome.

Inga said:
Any advice for me is welcome.

Hi Inga,

It doesn't sound bad at all for a transition. I would eliminate the corn flour though, it has over 50% gluten-like proteins and it could be creating a vicious cycle.

The problem with milk is with its casein protein, so I would eliminate yogurt as well. I would wean off from it gradually using a high fat content cream or goat yogurt until you are off completely of dairy. You will notice great benefit from eliminating dairy products, except for butter, which is like a superfood.

I would drink coffee only occasionally and not on a daily basis. Healing the gut can be difficult if you keep drinking it on a constant basis.

I would also have beans exceptionally, after fermenting them. Instead, I would substitute it with roots such as sweet potatoes or manioc (yucca). I don't know where you live, but in any given country there are South American communities which import all sorts of roots such as sweet potatoes. Roots are more gut friendly, generally speaking. Yucca is also delicious and a good starchy substitute for a transition of Life Without Bread.

Best!

Thank Psyche

Cornstarch goes out. Only occasionally buckwheat, carob flour, flax meal? Maybe make bread out of it?

Coffee goes out. Maybe in the morning instead of coffee a cup of tea?

Yogurt goes out. Which cream with a high content of fat do you think?

I live in Sarajevo, Bosnia. Sweet potatoes was on sale, but I'm not sure manioc. In any case, I will look to buy.

Did I understand about roots? Can I eat carrot, celery, beetroot ...?
Fruits not eaten. Can I eat some fruit?

Peas, green beans, what do you advise?

Inga said:
Thank Psyche

Cornstarch goes out. Only occasionally buckwheat, carob flour, flax meal? Maybe make bread out of it?

Or you can make "blinis" while you transition to a lower carb diet. You can find the recipe through the search function.

Coffee goes out. Maybe in the morning instead of coffee a cup of tea?

That is probably better. What happens is that gluten intolerance often cross reacts with coffee. I will wean off gradually to avoid headaches and then spend some time off it. Let your body get cleared. Then you can have it any now and then, see how your body reacts to it.

Yogurt goes out. Which cream with a high content of fat do you think?

I would choose the highest fat content in percentage. If you see that you are satisfied with the foods that you are eating, I will try to forgo it and just save it for an occasional treat. The casein content in dairy products have morphine-like properties which makes it difficult to get off from it. But making many changes all of a sudden could be very stressing. In any case, don't let it be a major feature in your diet. If you see that it only enhances cravings, then, it is worth eliminating it altogether over a period of a few weeks.

I live in Sarajevo, Bosnia. Sweet potatoes was on sale, but I'm not sure manioc. In any case, I will look to buy.

Did I understand about roots? Can I eat carrot, celery, beetroot ...?
Fruits not eaten. Can I eat some fruit?

Peas, green beans, what do you advise?

I see, for a minute I thought you were in Italy when you said "radicchio" ;)

I doubt you'll find manioc in Bosnia, but sweet potatoes will do! You can fry them in lard and butter, they taste delicious that way. You can boil or steam them first before cutting them out in pieces to fry.

Peas do have lectins, but green beans are generally very well tolerated by all. They also have very little carb content. In a low carb diet, typically eggs and bacon for breakfast, broth and a couple of pork chops with green beans for other meals will typically yield like 20 grams of carbs per day.

Carrots and beetroots are also very well tolerated. They are starchy, but they could make great substitutes for gluten foods while you transition.

I would try to forgo fruit, allowing the body to adjust its metabolism without the fructose stimulation/toxicity in the liver. While seasonal available, I would allow myself a treat of low carb fruits, but only very seldom. I think it is important to allow the body adjust to a diet which has no fruits. Nowadays they are all bred to be incredibly sweet and our ancestors and metabolisms never got that kind of stimulation. Plus, our livers need all the help and energy they can in order to detox this incredibly toxic environment, and fructose is essentially another "toxin" for the liver.

For sweeteners there is stevia, but also sugar alcohols such as xylitol or erythritol. The later ones taste very good, making the transition easier. They also fight candida in the gut and other microbes. They are even used in ear infections to fight antibiotic resistant bacteria.

All this talk about food just made me hungry ;)

I'm hungry too. :D

You gave me a lot of useful tips.

Something is not clear. Butter is made from milk, but it is good. What happened with casein?

Inga said:

Something is not clear. Butter is made from milk, but it is good. What happened with casein?

Casein is separated from the cream (fat). Then the cream is churned to make it denser.

Jerry said:
Inga said:

Casein is separated from the cream (fat). Then the cream is churned to make it denser.

Not entirely - the white in butter is the protein and that is not removed unless you heat it to make ghee. I think that the idea is that there is much less of it in butter than milk, but it is still there.

An interesting chat with Nora Gegdaudas on 180 Nutrition:

Nora: "I spoke with Guy Lawrence and Stuart Cooke with 180 Nutrition recently.

Topics include:

- Why we shouldn’t be taking cholesterol lowering drugs
- Why cholesterol is a good thing [011:42]
- Can kids eat a paleo diet [029:50]
- From ultra-marathon & CrossFit on a low carb/ high fat diet [035:43]
- What Nora Gedgaudas eats in a day [1:00:53]
- Is dairy healthy? [1:06:50]
- and much more…

FULL transcript included!"

Here it is: _http://www.180nutrition.com.au/2013/05/01/we-chat-to-nora-gedgaudas-primal-body-primal-mind-beyond-the-paleo-diet/

I thought the part on dairy was interesting:

For some people, I think raw milk, and there are certain types of components of raw milk, like early; like colostrum and whey that in some people can be highly therapeutic. Now, that said, roughly half of everybody that has a gluten intolerance also has a casein intolerance. I happen to be one of them. I can’t do dairy at all. My immune system is highly reactive to dairy products, and that includes heavy cream and butter, I am sorry to say. And I know in previous editions of my book I extolled the virtues of butter and heavy cream, and for some people I think those foods are probably fine.

But I didn’t know that I had an immunological reactivity to dairy until I tested with appropriately sensitive testing. And the moment I eliminated those foods from my diet, it’s like 20 pounds fell off of me I didn’t even know I had. There were just so much inflammation all the time that I didn’t even realize that I was struggling with something until it go removed as an issue. So, for some people, I think dairy can be fine. For some, it can even be therapeutic, from healthy, entirely pasture-fed raw dairy sources. From, again, trusted raw dairy sources; dairies that are really doing it the right way, that are sanitary and whatever else. I think that there’s a place for that, not on my dinner plate, but for some people I think that there can be a place for that.

So, it is an unnatural food for adult people, though. Animals, I mean, and you can always make that argument that we’re the only species that drinks milk past infancy and we’re drinking the milk of not human milk but cow’s milk.

LQB said:
Jerry said:
Inga said:

Not entirely - the white in butter is the protein and that is not removed unless you heat it to make ghee. I think that the idea is that there is much less of it in butter than milk, but it is still there.

It is a bit inconsistent, but basically, some people still tolerate butter while not tolerating dairy in general. Some tolerate ghee but not butter, and some butter but not ghee. Some neither. This is basically where it stands - it's possible that it'll turn out in the future that butter (and even ghee) is a bad idea, but right now we simply don't know, and the consensus is that it is recommended for those who tolerate it.

Butter well tolerated and now use it without a guilty conscience. :)

Thanks for the information, now I was a little clearer.

So this is the end of my fourth day without any grains or refined sugars. I have had very small amounts of cheese twice, but have found I am not really wanting to eat it now, and no dairy other than that (this was not abrupt as I have been 90% off of dairy for a while now). As far as sugar, I have had small amounts of fruit but not much - a few grapes here and there and one banana. Oh, I am also completely off of caffeine for now, though I have seen that a cup of tea every now and then may be fine in time.

Mostly, I have been eating as much meat as I want to stay full, and lower carb veggies like spinach, kale, squashes, and sweet potatoes. I am finding this adjustment to be fairly easy actually. Physically it was rough for the first two days without caffeine and getting all the carb cravings. However, today I found I did not have any cravings and watched my brother eat a burrito without even wanting it. (He was very nice, though, and knowing I was changing my diet had some lightly seasoned meat for me to eat without the extras! :) )

I am also finding, happily, that it is easier than I expected because I am full for hours! I am not plagued by constant hunger pangs and in that regard this is the easiest "diet" I have ever been on.

I have found that I can go 20 hours without eating and without problems, hunger or otherwise.

You have to be careful with that. At the time I still had some pounds of fat I needed to lose. Protein is also consumed, however, and we don't have protein "stores" the way we have fat stores. The protein you consume is "you." It's probably not a good thing to do frequently. But I do do regular 16-hour intermittent fasting (as long as I don't become hungry), and that seems to be fine. It's the way we're supposed to work, I do believe.

I'm sure paleolithic humans sometimes went much longer, but I am also sure they were in better shape than me!

Megan said:
I have found that I can go 20 hours without eating and without problems, hunger or otherwise.

You have to be careful with that. At the time I still had some pounds of fat I needed to lose. Protein is also consumed, however, and we don't have protein "stores" the way we have fat stores. The protein you consume is "you." It's probably not a good thing to do frequently. But I do do regular 16-hour intermittent fasting (as long as I don't become hungry), and that seems to be fine. It's the way we're supposed to work, I do believe.

I'm sure paleolithic humans sometimes went much longer, but I am also sure they were in better shape than me!

Yes, I have about 25-30 pounds to lose myself. I probably won't try any fasting while I'm nursing as I do not want to jeopardize my milk supply. He still has about 2-3 months before I can begin to introduce other foods. I have found myself feeling much warmer than usual eating this way. Normally, I find it hard to be in cooler temperatures, but it was 44F outside the other day and I went out with a short sleeved t-shirt on and felt fine. I am guessing this is from burning fat? But I like not being cold all the time :D

I did have a pretty bad brain fog the first couple of days, but that seems to be lifting. I am sleeping SO much better and feel my energy increasing steadily.

Brenda86 said:
...I did have a pretty bad brain fog the first couple of days, but that seems to be lifting. I am sleeping SO much better and feel my energy increasing steadily.

You can definitely experience a kind of drug withdrawal from eliminating grains. If you eliminate all grains at the same time, it might be more intense (I didn't try that myself; it was gradual, one grain at a time). You are apt to feel all kinds of things for a while. :)

Back
Top Bottom