"Life Without Bread"

Trevrizent said:
Don Genaro said:
Kniall said:
While I've noticed many benefits from going low-carb, this general lethargy I feel at the moment is a real drag.

... But I am feeling quite lethargic in the afternoons. ...

... I'm having lots of carbs reduction symptoms; ... constipation for example ... - in particular, "panceta" which is a very thick slice of extremely fatty bacon. I ate that twice and suffered severe nausea, particularly the second time- it was like a kick in the stomach- so I'll be looking through this thread for tips! ... So much to read!

Make that another, re lethargy, on awakening and later in the day, and completely gone by mid-evening. :)

Regarding the panceta - it may be one or more of the spices in it that is causing the problem.

Don Genaro said:
... I'll also be looking into the digestive enzymes too. The fatigue is strange. I find it hard to describe but it's not the same as the "sugar lows" I used to get. This is more "physical" as opposed to the sugar lows being more mental i.e. foggy/tired brain. I look forward to waking up some day soon with both kinds of fatigue gone!!!

Well, I'm taking digestive enzymes, ox bile, beta hydrochloride and probiotics still, and for seemingly no relief to this 'fatigue'. Perhaps it has to do with age and the length of time on high carbs and low fat. Oh for that sudden shift to happen. :)

Trevrizent, I highly second the lethargy timing. It's as if I am fatigued to the bone and some times I can hardly keep my eyes open. Moving my body around seems like a tremendous effort. Around 5 or 6 pm things start to clear and all is normal.

I've only been on the low-carb diet about a week with a daily net carb count of 20-70, so I am hoping that it'll improve within a week or two. I'm waiting for the digestive enzymes to arrive as I think giving the body a helping hand in digesting all that fat is a good idea.

The only thing that has me concerned is the fact that I am losing weight. I am 202 and have gone from 73 kg to 71 kg so there is not a lot of body fat to spare :(

Yes, I had to deal with this crushing fatigue and even depression for a couple of weeks - more like a month - and continuing to read about the topic and finally finding some answers to these various issues in "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" was a huge help. When you change your energy pathways, DNA actually changes and systems get cranked up that have been suppressed for years. Plus, your kidneys work differently and you can lose a lot of minerals initially and need to replace them (including salt).

Reading about the difference in carb metabolism and fat metabolism on the cellular level in "Life Without Bread" was also a big help because I learned exactly what the system is engaged in doing during this period of transition.

Like Gertrudes, I'm much better now, but I'm also drinking salt in my water and adding potassium and some other trace minerals. But it sure beats the tons of other supplements I was taking before just to keep things going on the high carb/veggie intensive diet that was NOT getting me anywhere.

Thor said:
The only thing that has me concerned is the fact that I am losing weight. I am 202 and have gone from 73 kg to 71 kg so there is not a lot of body fat to spare :(

I'm thinking that it must be actually harder for the thin ones whose bodies allocated excess carbs to be burned off rather than stored as fat. I've got a good store of adipose tissue to burn but I still went through the fatigue in the transition from carb metabolism to fat metabolism. But you guys who don't have any fat to spare, probably have something different going on. Again, let me strongly urge all of you to read the entire books: "Life Without Bread", "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" and "The Vegetarian Myth." If you can't get the books, send me a PM and I'll try to help.

I'm one of the skinnies :lol: I weigh about 58 kilos and although I haven't lost much weight I do "look" skinnier. And lots of people comment on it! They're also a little bit baffled by my high fat diet ;) What they don't say is that I look sick which is a change. I am hoping to gain a few kilos though...

Laura said:
Thor said:

I'm thinking that it must be actually harder for the thin ones whose bodies allocated excess carbs to be burned off rather than stored as fat. I've got a good store of adipose tissue to burn but I still went through the fatigue in the transition from carb metabolism to fat metabolism. But you guys who don't have any fat to spare, probably have something different going on. Again, let me strongly urge all of you to read the entire books: "Life Without Bread", "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" and "The Vegetarian Myth." If you can't get the books, send me a PM and I'll try to help.

Just a small comment. I'm quite thin also. But when I started lowering my carbs and ate a LOT of meat, I gained 3 kilos. (40 > 43) Now I'm 42 and it seems to stay at that. Before this diet it was very hard for me to gain any kilo's or store any fat. Somehow this diet worked, but then again, I'm young so maybe it was easier for my body to get healthy and to start storing some fat when it was/is needed. I guess everyone reacts to this diet differently in some way.

People around me, who used to tell me I look too skinny, actually are telling me now I look more alive and healthy! Thanks for advising these books.

Don Genaro said:
I'm one of the skinnies :lol: I weigh about 58 kilos and although I haven't lost much weight I do "look" skinnier. And lots of people comment on it! They're also a little bit baffled by my high fat diet ;) What they don't say is that I look sick which is a change. I am hoping to gain a few kilos though...

Me too!!! What I have found, being on the diet for just a week, however, is that my skin is a lot healthier. I've had dry and sometimes peeling skin on my hands for several years that I have not been able to get rid of. That perfectly gone. Also the skin on all of my bod used to be very dry. Now it's moist and supple. I had a some skin missing between two toes that just wouldn't heal for several years. Almost gone. And just the other day, my sister commented that I looked healthier and my lips had a fuller red than normal. She also commented that she thought I had lost weight and that maybe it was time to stop all those weird diets - well, you can't win'em all :)

Laura said:
Yes, I had to deal with this crushing fatigue and even depression for a couple of weeks - more like a month - and continuing to read about the topic and finally finding some answers to these various issues in "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" was a huge help. When you change your energy pathways, DNA actually changes and systems get cranked up that have been suppressed for years. Plus, your kidneys work differently and you can lose a lot of minerals initially and need to replace them (including salt).

Reading about the difference in carb metabolism and fat metabolism on the cellular level in "Life Without Bread" was also a big help because I learned exactly what the system is engaged in doing during this period of transition.

Like Gertrudes, I'm much better now, but I'm also drinking salt in my water and adding potassium and some other trace minerals. But it sure beats the tons of other supplements I was taking before just to keep things going on the high carb/veggie intensive diet that was NOT getting me anywhere.

Yeah, I've had to re introduce carbs a bit. I went too low too soon and got all weird. It was like I was drunk, enough that Hubby was worried.

Diet is key to my mental health for whatever reason, and since treating adrenal fatigue, things steadily improved over the last few months. When I went to eliminate more carbs, the mental weirdness came back hard.

What I'm doing right now? If I eat more than a 1/4 c of rice, I soak it in coconut oil. Still taking enzymes with every meal, and I've added ORS drinks (minus the sugar). That's basically salt water with lemon juice. I'm still tweaking the recipe and thinking of adding some magnesium solution to it. Its helping.

I've got the new book in line to be ordered over the weekend. Its frustrating how sensitive my body is. :headbash:

Because my mind tends to flake out, when it does, I'm backing off on the diet changes until I have more information on what's going on to make better decisions. If anyone else is having similar, don't hesitate to slow down, Ok?

Apologies if I'm repeating information. :-[

Trevrizent said:
Regarding the panceta - it may be one or more of the spices in it that is causing the problem.

I don't think this is the case Trevrizent as it's pure salted pork- I think it's more to do with the concentration of it (which is why I need to go back and read this entire thread!).

Don Genaro said:
Trevrizent said:

I don't think this is the case Trevrizent as it's pure salted pork- I think it's more to do with the concentration of it (which is why I need to go back and read this entire thread!).

Don Genaro, FWI, as I understand it, panceta is made by pork, salt and sodium nitrite, which some people are allergic to. A couple of months after I started on the USD and having eaten only organic meats, I had a couple of slices of panceta. They were very tasty but I did get a reaction, feeling a little "off" for some minutes.

Gertrudes said:
For how long have you been fatigued Trevrizent?

I guess it's getting on for a month, along with the overwhelm that I spoke of on another thread. It may be as Laura states that it's still not enough fat being eaten. I tested ketone this morning and the reading was 'trace'. Carbs are down to 55g (v 90 for age). So, there is still a way to go yet.

Don Genaro said:
Trevrizent said:

I am wondering if your nausea is because of sluggish liver issues? Just in case it is, here's what Dr. Psyche has recommended to help the liver to start working properly again.

Trevrizent said:
Gertrudes said:
For how long have you been fatigued Trevrizent?

I guess it's getting on for a month, along with the overwhelm that I spoke of on another thread. It may be as Laura states that it's still not enough fat being eaten. I tested ketone this morning and the reading was 'trace'. Carbs are down to 55g (v 90 for age). So, there is still a way to go yet.

Sounds like you haven't shifted into fat burning and you aren't getting enough carbs to provide adequate energy for your still struggling carb burning metabolism. You may have to take it way down, suffer mightily for a few days until the main system comes back online. Otherwise, this could drag on forever.

Thank you Laura, for that input, I've analysed where the excess carbs are coming from - buckwheat for blinis, buckwheat gravy and broccoli for lunch, and beet and carrots for tea.

For the last couple of days I've been piling on the lard, ghee and extra virgin olive oil. But ... so it's down to a strict cut in carbs, pile on more oil and get out of the habit of three meals a day. I like your idea of a few slices of fatty meat liberally covered with butter to get things moving too. :)

Skinny here too, for years never gained an ounce,(184cm/70kg)Now I'm 73!!!since 6/7 weeks
We made the habit now to add 2 teaspoons of ghee with cinnamon in each cup of tea or tisane as we drink it much and it's really yummy.(addicts!)
Reminds me that the Nepalese sherpas must be on high fat as they put a lot of yak butter in their teas and soups

Laura said:
Thor said:

Well I am the skinny type too and although I have been on the low car diet for over six weeks, I am still low in energy and I feel like as if have no power in my legs. I use to take a lot of carbs and burn them quite easily since I am quite active (biker, hiker) but with the low carb diet, I have not find again my level of energy that I am used to have.

My two daughters are a little bit preoccupied since I lost some pounds with this new diet and my shape is a bit more bony.

Back
Top Bottom