"Life Without Bread"

truth seeker said:
Nienna Eluch said:
I'm actually allergic to garlic and also cannot eat onions. They are in the same family. And I love garlic and onions. :cry: There are also others on the forum who are sensitive to garlic/onions.
Yeps. I fall into that category as well. I also currently think I can't eat ginger either. I made the mistake about a month ago in eating all three - I didn't feel like myself for a week!

Unfortunately, I've found out that I can't eat a whole lot of stuff that is suppose to be healthy for us. In fact, there are very, very few items I can take. I cannot eat any herbs/spices except sea salt. Fruit is out. So is coconut anything. The only veggies I can eat are green beans, zucchini and yellow squash. I just recently found out that I can't eat sweet potatoes except only on occasion. Actually, that's the way it is for the other veggies, too, I can't eat any of them every day. I have to wait two or three days in between. I do use spirulina as a veggie on my meat at least once a week and can handle that.

So I eat meat, meat and meat with a little veggie now and then. (And by meat I'm including the fat that comes with, and in, it.)

Nienna Eluch said:
Unfortunately, I've found out that I can't eat a whole lot of stuff that is suppose to be healthy for us. In fact, there are very, very few items I can take. I cannot eat any herbs/spices except sea salt. Fruit is out. So is coconut anything. The only veggies I can eat are green beans, zucchini and yellow squash. I just recently found out that I can't eat sweet potatoes except only on occasion. Actually, that's the way it is for the other veggies, too, I can't eat any of them every day. I have to wait two or three days in between. I do use spirulina as a veggie on my meat at least once a week and can handle that.

So I eat meat, meat and meat with a little veggie now and then. (And by meat I'm including the fat that comes with, and in, it.)
Same here so over time, I found that I had to let all that go except on very rare occasions. Seems that as the body begins to heal, it too can no longer accept the lies manifested physically as food if that makes sense.

Currently my list (and each person's list may vary) is meat, salt, fat, broth, water/tea. Except for a few supplements (I find niacin in particular to be really great at knocking out persistent inflammation), that be it. :D

truth seeker said:
Nienna Eluch said:

Same here so over time, I found that I had to let all that go except on very rare occasions. Seems that as the body begins to heal, it too can no longer accept the lies manifested physically as food if that makes sense.

Currently my list (and each person's list may vary) is meat, salt, fat, broth, water/tea. Except for a few supplements (I find niacin in particular to be really great at knocking out persistent inflammation), that be it. :D

It is the same thing for me.

For the meat : lamb and chicken are ok. Pork : it depends how it's prepared and what is the piece. sometimes, i eat game : it semms to be ok.

For the fat : ghee and fat duck.

I can now drink only white tea. Black tea gives me bellyache, and i am nauseus with green tea. Drops of lemon are ok.

For veggies, only mushrooms occasionally.

Bone broth of course.

For the eggs, once week, no more.

Salt.

That's all! I really like such simplicity.

This is making me think perhaps we should re-run elimination diet post-paleo diet to see what may have resulted from certain adaptations/adjustments our bodies have gone through. I was going to write a post about how, after going on the ultra diet, and the paleo LC, my rheumatoid, inflammation and neuropathy issues almost disappeared. However, recently they seem to be rearing their ugly head, even though I am relatively stable on the diet (although I admit I don't think I'm getting enough fat quite yet).

Gonzo

Gonzo said:
This is making me think perhaps we should re-run elimination diet post-paleo diet to see what may have resulted from certain adaptations/adjustments our bodies have gone through. I was going to write a post about how, after going on the ultra diet, and the paleo LC, my rheumatoid, inflammation and neuropathy issues almost disappeared. However, recently they seem to be rearing their ugly head, even though I am relatively stable on the diet (although I admit I don't think I'm getting enough fat quite yet).

Gonzo

Funny thing is that since going gluten/dairy free few years ago my seasonal allergies subsided, I've cut out 80% of therapy, but last Spring, although not severe as it was prior going off gluten, my asthma was strangely more intensive compared to previous seasons. Yes the Spring here was very dry and warm and air was unusually saturated with pollen but still it looked like step back and just couple weeks ago I've developed some eczema on my palms, that's usual for me when I expose my self to Sun and warmth in the Summer, but last Summer I had barely few spots and this Summer it came back with vengeance. That's why I think, in my case, only fats and meats no matter how good or grass fed they are, simply aren't enough in terms of nutritional spectrum intake. I can't eat veggies, eggs are off limits and broths are not always available so I'm gonna throw in seafood and see how this goes.

Regulattor said:
Funny thing is that since going gluten/dairy free few years ago my seasonal allergies subsided, I've cut out 80% of therapy, but last Spring, although not severe as it was prior going off gluten, my asthma was strangely more intensive compared to previous seasons.

My hay fever has become a lot better after 1 year on the low carb diet. Where I used to suffer for 6 or 7 weeks in spring and summer, this is now down to about 1 week. Obviously it is different from year to year, but I can indeed notice an improvement.

Diet update: Things go very well with no cravings and lots of fat. I have been restricting protein for the last couple of months and that does seem to be very positive. Generally, mental functioning is very good (and improved from a year ago). I've found that, for me, lots of fat really cuts down on the need/feeling to eat. Digestion is very good and very regular with some gas probably due to onions/garlic added to crock pot dishes. Main meal is in the morning and is usually some form of meat slow cooked in bone broth with plenty of fat. Late afternoon is typically bacon and a handful of soaked/dried plain almonds. I'm going to eliminate the almonds and see what difference there might be. I'm also going to ramp up on the fish.

Added: generally add a small slice of sweet potato with the meat/crock meal and occasionally saute'd leafy greens

truth seeker said:
(I find niacin in particular to be really great at knocking out persistent inflammation)

Truth seeker, how much niacin are you taking a day, if you don't mind telling me? I think I read Laura is taking 50 mg a day.

Nienna Eluch said:
truth seeker said:
(I find niacin in particular to be really great at knocking out persistent inflammation)

Truth seeker, how much niacin are you taking a day, if you don't mind telling me? I think I read Laura is taking 50 mg a day.

I also have a question on the niacin - do those of you taking it regularly get niacin flushes?

Nienna Eluch said:
truth seeker said:

Currently I don't take it everyday, only if I feel I need it (which at this point is when I've had too much protein). Initially I was only able to get the niacinimide. The pills are 500mg but there's no flush - I also don't find that it's as effective but that could just be me. The niacin itself is also 500mg (that's all they had so I didn't work up to it). The flush is reduced if you take it on a full stomach but I'm pretty much used to it by now. I don't mind so much the 'heat' but the itchiness can be annoying. That said, for me, the results are worth the discomfort. However, I would not suggest that anyone start with that dose but instead slowly work their way up.

anart said:
Nienna Eluch said:
truth seeker said:

I also have a question on the niacin - do those of you taking it regularly get niacin flushes?

I still do but very mild compared to when I started. I also cut back to about 1/4 teaspoon once per day.

Anart said:

I have been taking it every day. I was up to 200mg daily with a flush. I recently switched brands. I am up to 600mg on this brand (Swanson's) with a barely detectable flush.

anart said:
Nienna Eluch said:
truth seeker said:

I haven't been taking it regularly, but on the recent occasions that I've taken it, I've taken 100mg with food and still gotten a fairly significant flush. It's usually taken me a couple of hours or so to flush from it, but I don't like to be in public as I get rather red and don't want to look out of the ordinary.

Foxx said:
anart said:
Nienna Eluch said:
truth seeker said:

I haven't been taking it regularly, but on the recent occasions that I've taken it, I've taken 100mg with food and still gotten a fairly significant flush. It's usually taken me a couple of hours or so to flush from it, but I don't like to be in public as I get rather red and don't want to look out of the ordinary.

I take it somewhat regularly, 100mg once or twice per day. I still find I get a fairly significant flush sometimes. Things that reduce or even eliminate the flush seem to be doing it on a full stomach (but sometimes this simply delays the flush), taking 2g of vitamin C with it, and taking it regularly. I find I build up a tolerance quickly, but if I miss a day I'm right back to square one and the flush is more severe.

Gawan said:
Rhythmik said:
So nobody here will sell me potassium supplements. One lady claims it is a dangerous drug. Another (a naturopath) said it was normally prescribed as a diuretic. Not sure how to get around that.

Did you look up online stores in Australia?

yep all good, a friend of mine put me onto a supplement called Blackmores Kmag (potassium+magnesium combined)

Back
Top Bottom