"Life Without Bread"

Wows, this treat is huge! :-[ so much to learn
Well basically I started to smoothly get into keto diet 6 months ago and now I'm mostly grains and sugar free.
It was quite a challenge, specially the opinion of family and friends ( I still have a brother who really believes I will become dumb due to lack of " proper brain nutrition") :huh:
I most to say that I have never feel better in my life! No brain fog, lots of energy, awesome skin, haven't had a cold or allergies in months.Suppose that I'm of the lucky ones that have a smooth transition tho.Actually remember having headaches and difficulty at making decisions just right after having sugary stuff while starting with the diet.
Now I'm learning to prepare fat bombs :P let's see how that goes.

Hello I'm an old reader but new to the forum. I have a dilemma. So here I am wanting to start the Keto diet...and here my income is reminding me that I'm the only one working in a house of four (just became full time) I don't want living below the poverty line to be the reason I keep eating poorly. Any who is there any way to do this diet on a budget? I tried to look through the thread for some ideas and avoiding sugar isnt so hard on a budget...its the carbs...THEY ARE CHEAP! My mother is a diabetic and my sister and I have MDD and I believe this diet would help with the imbalance. Thank you and until then time to browse the interwebs some more for reliable info :)
PS I'm a little embarrassed about this

celenajohnson23 said:
Hello I'm an old reader but new to the forum. I have a dilemma. So here I am wanting to start the Keto diet...and here my income is reminding me that I'm the only one working in a house of four (just became full time) I don't want living below the poverty line to be the reason I keep eating poorly. Any who is there any way to do this diet on a budget? I tried to look through the thread for some ideas and avoiding sugar isnt so hard on a budget...its the carbs...THEY ARE CHEAP! My mother is a diabetic and my sister and I have MDD and I believe this diet would help with the imbalance. Thank you and until then time to browse the interwebs some more for reliable info :)

Bone broth, pork cuts are usually cheaper, chicken, turkey, chicken livers and plenty of buttered tea. When you are working from a serious budget, you might want to just do the best you can and not worry so much about "grass fed" and all that.

Getting whole chickens and cuts of meat with bones that you can freeze and save to make the bone broth can be money saving. Believe me, a couple of cups of heavily buttered tea, and you won't want to eat much more than a chicken leg, a cup of broth, and a couple of egg yolks the whole rest of the day. It CAN be a cheaper way to eat!

Thank you so so much I was so stuck on doing the whole grass fed thing and my pockets screamed lol. I will deff try this out...I put butter in my coffee idk if that's the same as tea w/butter. Anemia makes it hard to drink black teas but I can try it with a green tea. Again thank you so much for the understanding. lets go keto! :)

elle said:
Well basically I started to smoothly get into keto diet 6 months ago and now I'm mostly grains and sugar free.
It was quite a challenge, specially the opinion of family and friends ( I still have a brother who really believes I will become dumb due to lack of " proper brain nutrition") :huh:
I most to say that I have never feel better in my life! No brain fog, lots of energy, awesome skin, haven't had a cold or allergies in months.Suppose that I'm of the lucky ones that have a smooth transition tho.

Hi elle,

Get your brother to read GRAIN BRAIN. It motivated me to go keto before I got to the part about having tests done to find out where all the physical pain is coming from. Oh well, I'm not going off of it to find out. That was a little over a year ago. Family illness of macular degeneration, glaucoma, dementia and Type 2 diabetes were a huge motivator for me as well. But Dr Purlmutter does a fantastic job of explaining the physiology behind this way of eating.

I, too, easily adapted to this diet. I love not worrying about weight which had suddenly changed because of menapause starting. I think I have avoided any of the usual side effects of that life change by eating a keto diet and using progesterone cream.

I love the no brain fog or hunger pangs. I have a job where I travel every week and the planning of food and hauling it with me is stressful. EE Breathing, reiki, qigong and yoga are helping me stay calm and confident and energetic. Yes, and buttered tea is quickly replacing half of my coffee habit.

Life Without Bread is still on my bookshelf. Thought I"d tackle Primal Body Primal Mind next.

Hang in there. It's been fun and educational to share the knowledge I've gleaned about diet with coworkers that have health issues. It's surprising how many can benefit from good nutritional and good nutritional information.
Good luck!

Laura said:
celenajohnson23 said:

Bone broth, pork cuts are usually cheaper, chicken, turkey, chicken livers and plenty of buttered tea. When you are working from a serious budget, you might want to just do the best you can and not worry so much about "grass fed" and all that.

Getting whole chickens and cuts of meat with bones that you can freeze and save to make the bone broth can be money saving. Believe me, a couple of cups of heavily buttered tea, and you won't want to eat much more than a chicken leg, a cup of broth, and a couple of egg yolks the whole rest of the day. It CAN be a cheaper way to eat!

Thanks for the encouragment not to worry about grass-fed. I know it's better and I buy it when its available. Even Walmart has some grass-fed meat lately. Sometimes not living close to health food sources is as much a problem as food budget concerns. it's expensive to make the 100 mile round trip drive to town too often. I've been meaning to look into online options that might also support natural farmers.
Thanks Laura for the buttered tea recommend. It's delightful and keeps my energy steady.

Edit=Quote

celenajohnson23 said:
Anemia makes it hard to drink black teas but I can try it with a green tea.

You might want to look at this thread in case the anemia is related to something more serious (Hemochromatosis):

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,20265.0.html

monotonic said:
celenajohnson23 said:
Anemia makes it hard to drink black teas but I can try it with a green tea.

You might want to look at this thread in case the anemia is related to something more serious (Hemochromatosis):

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,20265.0.html

I checked out the info and my issue is lack of iron ( I have a hemoglobin count of 6) which is about half the normal female amount...HOWEVER I DID FIND THERE THAT VIT C IS GOOD FOR IRON ABSORPTION! Now that was a very helpful piece of info seeing as iron pills do not absorb in my stomach
Primary maybe? I was prescribed iron (325 mg 3 times a day) Never a folic acid addition to that. The Vit C tid bit i will def research more that's one vitamin that isn't in my diet...at all...not even a glass of oj daily

Hemochromatosis can cause anemia because the iron gets pulled out of the blood and into organs. That's what I was thinking of. Here's an article by Gaby:

http://www.sott.net/article/263834-The-iron-elephant-The-dangers-of-iron-overload

"Untreated iron overload can make you very tired

Hypothyroidism can be a complication of iron overload and people with chronic fatigue syndrome should be screened for iron load levels.

It is ironic that excess iron may be the underlying cause of pallor, weight loss and fatigue. In fact, up to 25% of those diagnosed with hemochromatosis might be anemic."
Those are the symptoms I feel along with swollen ankles and I clot horribly. I think a blood test of my ferritin levels may be a good start, Thank you for the information and I will ask my doc to test. That article was on the money and I am going to read if iron taste in the mouth is a sign of this as well. Again thank you for the article :)

celenajohnson23 said:
Those are the symptoms I feel along with swollen ankles and I clot horribly. I think a blood test of my ferritin levels may be a good start, Thank you for the information and I will ask my doc to test. That article was on the money and I am going to read if iron taste in the mouth is a sign of this as well. Again thank you for the article :)

Do ask for for TIBC, iron, ferritin, transferrin. If saturation is >30-35% and ferritin above 100, there is iron overload. A differential diagnosis has to be made, sometimes anemia doesn't mean you need iron. On the contrary. Let us know how it goes :flowers:

Charade said:
elle said:
I most to say that I have never feel better in my life! No brain fog, lots of energy, awesome skin, haven't had a cold or allergies in months.Suppose that I'm of the lucky ones that have a smooth transition tho.

Hi elle,

Get your brother to read GRAIN BRAIN. It motivated me to go keto before I got to the part about having tests done to find out where all the physical pain is coming from. Oh well, I'm not going off of it to find out. That was a little over a year ago. Family illness of macular degeneration, glaucoma, dementia and Type 2 diabetes were a huge motivator for me as well. But Dr Purlmutter does a fantastic job of explaining the physiology behind this way of eating.

Congrats elle! Keep kickin' those carbs to the curb! :)

Getting someone to read something that contradicts their belief systems isn't exactly easy, and if the person isn't ready then trying to force it will not end well for anyone. My suggestion would be to read as many of the recommended diet and health books as you can and gather as much knowledge as possible on the subjects of anatomy, physiology, metabolism, etc., so that you're able to explain exactly how everything works and why fats are the superior fuel. Show your brother what a brain on ketones can do, and maybe he'll change his mind 'all on his own'. ;)

Charade said:
elle said:

Hi elle,

I, too, easily adapted to this diet. I love not worrying about weight which had suddenly changed because of menapause starting. I think I have avoided any of the usual side effects of that life change by eating a keto diet and using progesterone cream.

I love the no brain fog or hunger pangs. I have a job where I travel every week and the planning of food and hauling it with me is stressful. EE Breathing, reiki, qigong and yoga are helping me stay calm and confident and energetic. Yes, and buttered tea is quickly replacing half of my coffee habit.

Life Without Bread is still on my bookshelf. Thought I"d tackle Primal Body Primal Mind next.

Hang in there. It's been fun and educational to share the knowledge I've gleaned about diet with coworkers that have health issues. It's surprising how many can benefit from good nutritional and good nutritional information.
Good luck!

Hello Charade!

Thank you for the book suggestions! I'll give the buttered tea try as well..let's see how comes in.

A Jay said:
Charade said:
elle said:

Hi elle,

Congrats elle! Keep kickin' those carbs to the curb! :)

Getting someone to read something that contradicts their belief systems isn't exactly easy, and if the person isn't ready then trying to force it will not end well for anyone. My suggestion would be to read as many of the recommended diet and health books as you can and gather as much knowledge as possible on the subjects of anatomy, physiology, metabolism, etc., so that you're able to explain exactly how everything works and why fats are the superior fuel. Show your brother what a brain on ketones can do, and maybe he'll change his mind 'all on his own'. ;)

Hello Jay!

I Totally understand where you are coming from.For me the most difficult part of my diet change haven't been my body reactions or how to get adapted to it but my family's approach:my little sister became vegetarian some months ago, and I have noticed that she already started to act like if she is superior in some way.
My older brother is a triathlon competitor and basically relies on a carb based diet, so imagine the scene when at family lunch little Elle comes in full of bacon, butter and meat.
It's shocking to noticed how, in the name of love and protecting you, people may react really violent to a new idea that might contradict their belief system.
Im reading as much as I can to have the answers if someone comes in with the questions, I'll be prepare for it.
That's my approach.
Thank you! It really helps knowing that there's people over there in the same path, that we are not alone.

elle said:
my little sister became vegetarian some months ago, and I have noticed that she already started to act like if she is superior in some way.

Did you try to give her The Vegetatian Myth? I thought when I read it that it was a good read for vegetarians because Lierre Keith comes from a Vegan background, and adresses all the reasons for being a vegetarian.

BTW I think it is usual for people to act superior when they think they are doing the right thing (as a friend of mine sometimes say "people are much nicer when it isn't going so well for them") :)

Back
Top Bottom