"Life Without Bread"

SeekinTruth said:
So if you want to try eliminating cheese, beans, and rice next, that's probably a good idea, but you need to be able to do these things slowly, methodically and with understanding. It's NOT a good idea to be eating a high fat diet while still consuming grains and beans and cheese, and even relatively high carbs above around 70 to 100 net grams. The lectins and anti-nutrients and carbs (for example 150 net grams per day) with still cause inflammation and general havoc in your system and oxidize and glycate the healthy fats and cholesterol.

That I will do, slowly and methodically. I see that I made mistakes from beginning. Going to take as much time as I can to learn, understand and apply what I learn about paleo and ketogenic diet.

My question about gluten trough skin shows very good my lack in basic knowledge about ways how gluten can impact a body. It is a wrong way to do things, not to be prepared. I was to rashly. One more good lesson for me.

SeekinTruth said:
So take these warnings seriously and proceed with caution and read everything you can to understand the why's and how's.

Thank you for your writing, it was very helpful for me. I am taking your words seriously and going to carefully learn. Willingness is here to do so.

Thank you again. :)

Toda22 said:
SeekinTruth said:
So if you want to try eliminating cheese, beans, and rice next, that's probably a good idea, but you need to be able to do these things slowly, methodically and with understanding. It's NOT a good idea to be eating a high fat diet while still consuming grains and beans and cheese, and even relatively high carbs above around 70 to 100 net grams. The lectins and anti-nutrients and carbs (for example 150 net grams per day) with still cause inflammation and general havoc in your system and oxidize and glycate the healthy fats and cholesterol.

That I will do, slowly and methodically. I see that I made mistakes from beginning. Going to take as much time as I can to learn, understand and apply what I learn about paleo and ketogenic diet.

My question about gluten trough skin shows very good my lack in basic knowledge about ways how gluten can impact a body. It is a wrong way to do things, not to be prepared. I was to rashly. One more good lesson for me.

SeekinTruth said:
So take these warnings seriously and proceed with caution and read everything you can to understand the why's and how's.

Thank you for your writing, it was very helpful for me. I am taking your words seriously and going to carefully learn. Willingness is here to do so.

Thank you again. :)

The warnings apply to everyone, but especially if you already have health problems and/or are older (say over 60). Many problems may arise during the transition period, and you should know what those possibilities are and how to deal with them to some extent. That's why you should really try to read this thread in its entirety and then the Ketogenic Diet thread when you're ready to make the transition.

That said, you are already in a position to slowly and carefully reduce your carbs below 70 grams (net, not including fiber) after eliminating the rest of the grains, beans, and dairy. You can slowly raise your saturated animal fat intake and lowering the carbs at the same time. When you get somewhere below about 50 grams of net carbs, you'll start going into ketosis - it varies from person to person.

It can take anywhere from two or three weeks to a couple of months to make the full adaptation to fat burning metabolism, depending on the person, their age, state of health, quality of digestion/state of the liver, etc. Intermittent fasting and heavy resistance training help get you into deeper ketosis (and reset dysfunctional mitochondria/activate "wild DNA" that goes beyond the muscles to organs and other tissue), but you'll have to see how the transition goes for you, and if you're up to doing those or if you even need to. You should read the Keto thread and see what some of the issues were for different people during the transition and what things worked for which people to deal with them. Some, including myself, had an easy transition and adaptation, others more difficult.

A couple of more tips, try eliminating nuts and then reintroduce them one by one a few weeks later (just like any other elimination test). Many people are very sensitive to nuts. And try to get grass fed/pastured meat. Besides all the other advantages, it will have the proper Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratios. Pigs can eat some wild grains without getting really sick and destroying their digestive systems like cows, but the fat composition will not be so good, with too much pro-inflammatory Omega-6's and not enough anti-inflammatory and health promoting Omega-3's. Good luck.

SeekinTruth said:
The warnings apply to everyone, but especially if you already have health problems and/or are older (say over 60). Many problems may arise during the transition period, and you should know what those possibilities are and how to deal with them to some extent. That's why you should really try to read this thread in its entirety and then the Ketogenic Diet thread when you're ready to make the transition.

I am 44 and have health problems with backbone, varicose veins and mentioned long term skin ulcers. The necessary reading will take a lot of time because of my job obligations and language barrier, but I will do it.

SeekinTruth said:
That said, you are already in a position to slowly and carefully reduce your carbs below 70 grams (net, not including fiber) after eliminating the rest of the grains, beans, and dairy. You can slowly raise your saturated animal fat intake and lowering the carbs at the same time. When you get somewhere below about 50 grams of net carbs, you'll start going into ketosis - it varies from person to person.

So I will make it, step by step with experimenting.

SeekinTruth said:
It can take anywhere from two or three weeks to a couple of months to make the full adaptation to fat burning metabolism, depending on the person, their age, state of health, quality of digestion/state of the liver, etc. Intermittent fasting and heavy resistance training help get you into deeper ketosis (and reset dysfunctional mitochondria/activate "wild DNA" that goes beyond the muscles to organs and other tissue), but you'll have to see how the transition goes for you, and if you're up to doing those or if you even need to. You should read the Keto thread and see what some of the issues were for different people during the transition and what things worked for which people to deal with them. Some, including myself, had an easy transition and adaptation, others more difficult.

I will go short off topic. If it is not adequate, moderators please remove.
state of health, quality of digestion/state of the liver
Before this diet changes, I found it necessary to do cleansing. I have done colon and liver cleansing as described by Malakhov, also parasite cleaning - Hulda Clark's method (but have used Lugol instead of missing black walnut tincture). Malakhov has written that our unclean and dysfunctional state of colon is responsible for approximately 80% of diseases. After our thirties or forties, 50-60% of our liver cells are blocked. Many things in his book "Cleansing of Organism" have “resonated with me” and I finished those mentioned cleanings a couple months ago. I can not verify these of his statistical data, I can only say that cleansing had remarkable effects on me.
I also use Chlorella and garlic for detox.

SeekinTruth said:
A couple of more tips, try eliminating nuts and then reintroduce them one by one a few weeks later (just like any other elimination test). Many people are very sensitive to nuts. And try to get grass fed/pastured meat. Besides all the other advantages, it will have the proper Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratios. Pigs can eat some wild grains without getting really sick and destroying their digestive systems like cows, but the fat composition will not be so good, with too much pro-inflammatory Omega-6's and not enough anti-inflammatory and health promoting Omega-3's. Good luck.

I appreciate these tips, a lot of important info about what to pay attention.
When it comes to food, here in Bosnia normal, natural vegetables and fruits still can be found but when it comes to grass fed meat, until now I could not find it. Going to continue search and learn about diet.

Thank you again very much, SeekinTruth! :)

Since I started this diet, in February 2012 I feel much much better, my symptoms for my IBS have reduce a lot.

I just wanted to say this: yesterday I move to another apartment, a fifth floor without elevator. Since my husband has MS I was alone to do this move with a friend of us, of my age. So we move around 120 boxes, very heavy plus some chairs and other furniture. It was a sort of trial, very hard. But I did it. And if I was able to do it I am persuaded that the reason is this diet, the paleolitic one. It is incredible. I am really astounded of the strength that this diet gives.

Again and again I am not tired to say that my life started to improve thanks to this forum. My physical health and mental health.I am so grateful.

HIGH FIVE :clap:

Way to go. Moving can be stressful no matter how far you are going. Since becoming paleo/keto, I've definitely noticed a big change in energy levels as well and over all body health. Keep up the great work!

Rabelais said:
Has anyone experienced dry flaky skin on the diet? I began to notice what looked like dandruff on my thighs a couple of weeks ago. I didn't think much about it and wrote it off to winter skin, but since then I have been having it on my head, face and forehead, as soon as my skin is dry from showering. It is getting really bad. There is no discomfort, redness or itching, just a blizzard of skin flakes that soon coat my clothes and reading glasses. I have been using coconut oil on it and that works temporarily fairly well, but where is this coming from? What is the causal factor? I am stumped. It would seem that consumption of saturated fats is antithetical to this condition.

I thought it might be a reaction to the corticosteroids that I am slowly weaning from, but in doing some research it appears that the steroids are the standard therapy for this condition. Just curious whether anyone else has had this experience.

Hi Rabelais,
I have similar dandruff-like pink spots on my face and especially on my forehead. After shower as You said they are visible the most - my face is spotted in pink spots all over. It is already approx. 1.5 - 2 years with me and I do not know if that has something to do with ketogenic diet? One year ago approximately, it begun to be more visible and skin started to flake more intensively between my eyebrows. I thought maybe these are toxins going out through the skin? Or maybe yeast? I have checked my skin in laboratory approx. 1 year ago and there was nothing about fungi. Samples were taken from different parts of my skin.

How is it going with Your skin now Rabelais? Have You found any connection to "Why?"?

Hello!

I thought I should finally share some of my experiences of being on a high fat diet.

I cannot say that I have experienced anything quite as dramatic as some other members on this forum, but I have definitely noticed a general improvement in my health. When my friends are coming down with colds, flu and whathaveyou - it just doesn't effect me anymore. :D My allergies have completely vanished. This is actually quite a biggie, as I used to experience allergies more often than not.

It took me quite some time to become comfortable with eating a lot of fat, but now I love it! Not only does the food taste so much better, it fills me up for considerably longer. In fact, I find that I naturally fast at least 12 hours each day. I have two BIG meals a day, and am completely satisfied. :bacon:

I know that other people have mentioned this previously on the forum, but I can't find their posts now. Anyway, I've lost quite a bit of weight since changing my diet (almost two years ago). The thing is, I was never very big to begin with. I feel great, and I think I look fine (although some people say I'm too thin), but I don't particularly want to go on losing more weight. Does this naturally stop after your body becomes adjusted? I do exercise, but I've cut back recently.

Wisteria said:
Hello!

I thought I should finally share some of my experiences of being on a high fat diet.

I cannot say that I have experienced anything quite as dramatic as some other members on this forum, but I have definitely noticed a general improvement in my health. When my friends are coming down with colds, flu and whathaveyou - it just doesn't effect me anymore. :D My allergies have completely vanished. This is actually quite a biggie, as I used to experience allergies more often than not.

It took me quite some time to become comfortable with eating a lot of fat, but now I love it! Not only does the food taste so much better, it fills me up for considerably longer. In fact, I find that I naturally fast at least 12 hours each day. I have two BIG meals a day, and am completely satisfied. :bacon:

I know that other people have mentioned this previously on the forum, but I can't find their posts now. Anyway, I've lost quite a bit of weight since changing my diet (almost two years ago). The thing is, I was never very big to begin with. I feel great, and I think I look fine (although some people say I'm too thin), but I don't particularly want to go on losing more weight. Does this naturally stop after your body becomes adjusted? I do exercise, but I've cut back recently.

Hi Wisteria,

Regarding weight loss, I had similar issues during the first year of doing the Ketogenic diet. Initially I assumed it was just normal to lose weight when in ketosis but, like with your case, I was already skinny to begin with and started losing even more weight to the point of almost looking anorexic. I only later realized that I wasn't eating enough fat which meant that my body wasn't getting the necessary calories to burn for energy and, as a consequence, I started losing lean tissue. From my personal experience, I would say that 200 grams of daily fat intake is a good starting point and then see if your body can handle more. If you exercise regularly I would even try to increase the fat intake more.

Hope it helps. :)

Yeah, when you get to the point where you're getting enough fat, your weight should stabilize to the ideal for you (you may put some weight back on). Doing heavy resistance exercises will built some lean muscle and also replace damaged DNA.

Forgot to add the Cs' comment on insulin and fat intake in one of the latest session to back up what I said earlier.

Session Date: July 26th 2014

Q: (dugdeep) I've got a whole paragraph here about diet, but I'll just break it down. [Regarding the paleo/keto diets], is it more about spiking insulin than it is about total carbs and protein?

A: Yes.

Q: (dugdeep) We were wondering about why these skinny people seem to lose what seems like too much weight. Is it necessary for them to keep a certain amount of insulin raised in order to not lose too much weight? Or can that be countered by eating more fat?

A: More fat. Insulin causes stress to the body across the board.

Q: (dugdeep) Is lowered body temperature, particularly cold hands and feet, is that an indication of low thyroid function due to calories being too low?

A: Not always.

Q: (Turgon) Can that also be due to adrenal fatigue instead?

A: Yes and other causes.

I agree with increasing your fat consumption. Wisteria, have you tried making fat-bombs yet? I had the same problem as you and I gained 5 kilos in a couple of months just eating a small cup of fat-bomb a day. It's like a dessert, yet you get most of your daily fat needs from it.

Thank you so much for your replies Eboard10, SeekinTruth and Alana. :D And thanks for the reminder of the C's session Eboard10. I had read that session, but completely forgotten about that particular part. :-[

The exercise that I mainly do is resistance training. Although I do also skate and cycle quite a bit...

I never would have thought that I wasn't getting enough fat. I go out of my way to eat fatty cuts of meat (although they are extremely difficult to find these days) and use a considerable amount of coconut oil or butter when cooking anything. But I shall now up the ante!

No, I have not yet tried the fat bombs. Seems that I will have to give them a go.

Such swift and helpful responses from everyone. Thanks again. :flowers:

Here are three presentations, available only for a limited time: _http://digestionsessions.com/fbgert/
"Extinguishing Inflammation: Putting Out the Fire with Real Foods" Dr. Tom O’Bryan DC
"The Dark Side of Gluten: New Perspectives on Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity" Sayer Ji
"The Evolutionary Mismatch: Psychotropic Drugs , Preconception, and Probiotics" Dr. Kelly Brogan, MD
Unfortunately cannot watch them at work and haven't found a way yet to download them, but the presentations seem to be worth watching, especially the second one in the context of this thread.

mkrnhr said:
Here are three presentations, available only for a limited time: _http://digestionsessions.com/fbgert/
"Extinguishing Inflammation: Putting Out the Fire with Real Foods" Dr. Tom O’Bryan DC
"The Dark Side of Gluten: New Perspectives on Celiac Disease and Gluten Sensitivity" Sayer Ji
"The Evolutionary Mismatch: Psychotropic Drugs , Preconception, and Probiotics" Dr. Kelly Brogan, MD
Unfortunately cannot watch them at work and haven't found a way yet to download them, but the presentations seem to be worth watching, especially the second one in the context of this thread.

Hi mkrnhr,

Here's the links if you want to download them:

_http://video.digestionsessions.com/video/Dr_Tom_Obryan.mp4

_http://video.digestionsessions.com/video/Sayer_Ji.mp4

_http://video.digestionsessions.com/video/Dr_Kelly_Brogan.mp4

Back
Top Bottom