"Life Without Bread"

Michał said:
Of course I agree, but it helps to limit gradually, instead of "shock therapy", which could be easily abandoned...

I agree Michal. It is especially difficult if not all household members are on board with a gluten free diet. In that case, sourdough is a good option. The body does not do well with sudden extremes.

Hmm. It's good to know that sourdough is less damaging and can be used to transition away from all breads/grains. It might come in handy to know this if opportunities come up to give info about all the benefits of the dietary changes to people who are big bread eaters - I didn't know about this aspect of sourdough before.

As I mentioned before - it has to be made proper way, it means it should ferment for at least 12 hours before baking, so not every sourdough is equally good, especially if the time is shorter... The best option would be self making.

Yas said:
trobar said:
Thank you Yas, eBoard10 and Seeking Truth for your input. I have much to learn about this subject and most days I think it is 'easier' to just give up on the idea of bread than to learn how to make gluten free anything. Yesterday I had a Tuna sandwich and instead of bread I used lettuce to hold the tuna . Step by step and I will get it right!

You're welcome trobar! And I understand what you feel. I finally ended up giving up the idea of bread myself, and adopted a ketogenic diet, but while you transition, you can probably experiment with yuca flour... rice isn't so good, but I guess you can go with it in the beginning, just to make it easier.

I used to make pancakes out of yuca flour and eggs: just mix some flour, eggs and water until you get a pancake consistency mixture (quite liquid but "creamy") and then you can put some butter in a pan and make the pancake. You can use that for your tuna, for example. :)

Thank You Yas! Sounds yummy! I didn't know of the existence of yuca flour. I will perform a search.

CeLegacy said:
https://glutenfreesociety.org/
A great source for gluten-free information!

Have you read this entire thread, CeLegacy?

CeLegacy said:
Laura said:
CeLegacy said:
https://glutenfreesociety.org/
A great source for gluten-free information!

Have you read this entire thread, CeLegacy?
No.. I'll get to doing that before I make any more replies. Same for future threads

I'd suggest reading this (Life Without Bread) and other books. Here is the complete list of recommended books https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,33092.0.html. Try to proceed in the listed order.

Hey everyone. I am new here. i read this interesting topic and i wanted to share my experience with you. Since year 2014 i have started gluten free diet which also include life without any kind of white bread. Now I am only consuming rye bread. I think it is impossible for me to live without any bread.

Eliza Plank said:
Hey everyone. I am new here. i read this interesting topic and i wanted to share my experience with you. Since year 2014 i have started gluten free diet which also include life without any kind of white bread. Now I am only consuming rye bread. I think it is impossible for me to live without any bread.

What makes you say that?

A Jay said:
Eliza Plank said:

What makes you say that?

My wife and my parents still thinks that its impossible to live without bread. Here i am. Around 3 years i think without bread or anything that contains flour .
So, its not impossible but its recommended. Read the entire thread and all recommended books on that subject. After that read the thread about Keto adaptation , and after you have read all that try to stop consuming bread. Do it gradually. You will see the benefits after some time . It worked for me and it worked for many members of this forum. Take care.

:)

Eliza Plank said:

I think most of us started out feeling that way. Thing is, the more you research it, the more you understand why it is important, and this gives motivation to try it. Then after a period of it being difficult, you find that not only is it possible but life is also better for it. Eventually you enjoy other foods just as much as you enjoyed bread.

Eliza Plank said:

What is also important to keep in mind is that gluten contains opioid properties that render it highly addictive to the brain, and therefore can induce thoughts patterns such as "it is impossible to live without bread". In actuality it is not very difficult to live without bread, most of us here can attest to that. So once a person has completely given up all forms of gluten, the addiction begins to wear off and "impossible" becomes very possible :). As others have said, it is important to read as much as you can about this because it is generally a big decision to make.

Eliza Plank said:

If you read the books (especially Primal Body, Primal Mind) and all the research on the thread, you will never want to put another piece of bread, or any type of grain in your mouth again. The damage gluten can do to your body is staggering. Casein (dairy) is right up there too. It helps to have the reasons spelled out, rather than a simple 'gluten is bad'.

The information can seem overwhelming at first, so maybe just pick one book from the list and read it. Keto-adapted is another good one, with lots of info on how to get started. Maria Emmerich also gives different supplements that help with the cravings while quitting the addiction to grains and other stuff. Good luck! You'll feel so much better you won't believe it.

Eliza Plank said:
I think it is impossible for me to live without any bread.

I used to live on bagels. When deciding to cut out bread, I started using buckwheat flour and then gradually stopped completely.

Back
Top Bottom