Man attacked by bear

Beau

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I'm not sure how normal the bear's behavior was or if this is a sign that our animal friends are feeling a little more perturbed than usual these days, but the account of the story is something that I found to be a little beyond just a bear protecting its turf. What a terrifying encounter for the lucky man!

Note: His story does include some rather gruesome facts that, if you are on the squeamish side, may wish to ignore.

http://www.thespec.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/775019

Gerald Marois heard the bear before he saw it.

"I turned around and he was about 50 feet away - one of the biggest bears I had ever seen in my life. He looked at me and moved sideways a bit, I start backing up and he just charged me. He came full blast, man."

Marois, 47, a retired steelworker and experienced hunter from Waubaushene, was mauled by a large black bear Tuesday evening in a remote wooded area about 30 kilometres northwest of Orillia.

He was airlifted to Sunnybrook hospital, where he gave a reporter a terrifying account of his near-death encounter.

Marois was planting a food plot in a small clearing about 45 metres (150 feet) inside the bush line, where he planned to hunt deer in the fall - "My dad taught me that's where you get the big buck" - when the bear came up from behind him.

"His head was huge, his eyes were really far apart from each other, and he had tiny, tiny ears, which is the sign of a huge boar -- probably 600 pounds."

When the bear charged, Marois said he turned around and ran toward a nearby oak tree - "The one I wanted to put my tree-stand in" - and climbed three-quarters of the way up. The bear followed him up. He shakes as he tells the story from his hospital bed, his arms, legs and face covered in deep gashes.

He said he tried to fight the bear off from the tree's upper branches, but it kept coming up after him.

"I was hitting him on the nose and head, trying to hurt him. And every time I hit him he was scraping me and just pulling on my boots."

The bear pulled a boot off and began biting the bottom of his feet.

"Then he dragged me almost to the ground."

Marois tried and tried to get away from the bear by climbing farther up the tree, but the bear repeatedly dragged him down.

"I was kicking him with the other boot and he grabbed that boot and he ripped it right off."

The bear then tried to rip off Marois's chest waders.

"That was messing him up, because they were coming back like an elastic, eh? And it was hard for him to rip them off."

But the bear eventually got them.

"Then he started eating my flesh."

Marois said he watched as the bear started eating his right calf.

"He was eating my meat and he was licking the blood and licking himself and just enjoying every bite of it."

Marois suffered his worst injuries to his legs, which required a skin graft to repair. They look torn apart and scrawny when he lifts up his hospital gown.

"He ate my whole calf."

Marois says he made at least 10 attempts to climb away from the bear and it kept coming after him.

"I was trying to get away from him in every direction that I could in that oak tree, but he kept on dragging me down; he wanted me down on the ground."

Marois, who said he forgot his bear spray at home, then turned to the only weapon he had.

"I got my lighter out" - a regular cigarette lighter - "and I started burning his face."

Marois said when he shoved the lighter in the bear's face it clawed him in the head.

"And that was it with the lighter, eh? No more lighters."

Proof of the bear's swipe comes in the two long rows of stitches on the top and side of Marois's head.

"I got really weak from that hit. I had barely nothing left, so I told God I was putting my life in his hands."

He said he prayed to God to send his guardian angel to protect him, because he couldn't fight the bear off any longer.

At that moment, the bear threw Marois from the tree - Marois figures about 20 feet - and he landed with a thud and a loud groan.

When he looked up, he watched the bear dive out of the tree in the opposite direction.

"It seemed like God scare him, man. People don't believe in God, but I'm telling you, man, something scare him. Because he got scared, he jumped in the rough and he took off."

Marois said the attack definitely lasted more than 15 minutes, though he says it "felt like forever."

But he knew he still wasn't safe.

He heard the bear roaming around him, gnashing his teeth and making a guttural barking noise Marois called a "bawl" - the same noise it made before charging him.

"I was sure I was dead. I told God, 'Keep your hand over me, protect me.'"

Marois called his wife and then 911, but the rescue team and emergency crews couldn't find him in the thick bush.

It took rescuers - with the help of Marois's wife, Louise Beauchamp - more than an hour to find him. All the while Marois could hear the bear nearby.

Eventually the rescuers found him, and with Marois's legs ripped to shreds, they moved him to a clearing where the air ambulance helicopter could land.

"That's when I finally could breathe."

The next thing Marois remembers is waking up in the hospital.

Marois's health has been improving every day. He says he has nightmares about the attack every time he sleeps.

He speaks angrily about the cancellation of the spring bear hunt in Ontario more than 10 years ago.

"I want (Premier Dalton McGuinty) to reconsider the spring bear hunt, so this doesn't happen no more."

Marois believes the bear was tracking him.

"He didn't mistake me for nothing. That bear wanted to maul me; he was hungry and came to get me."

Marois comes from a hunting family in rural Quebec: "I was born with a rabbit snare and a pellet gun in my hands."

But now he says he may never hunt again.

"It will be really hard to go back in the bush after this."

It seems to me that this guy has an issue with revenge now, like a little boy. Instead of feeling lucky being alive he wants to go out there on a bear hunt and kill off all of the bears in the area so that he will feel safe walking in the woods. Obviously he does not understand anything about bears and therefore should do everything possible to stay away from them. I live close to Rocky mountains and am/was very aware of the danger everytime I went hiking. That's why we carried with us a huge pepper spray and made a lot of noise just to let the wild animals know that we were in their territory. Domesticated humans belong in the cities, and wild bears belong in the wild. Killing all the bears will prove absolutely nothing.

I like it Mona, thanks. The last Grizzly bear in the Santa Cruz mtns. here in Northern California was killed by a man seeking revenge after the bear mauled him, or so the legend goes.

Heimdallr said:
"I turned around and he was about 50 feet away - one of the biggest bears I had ever seen in my life. He looked at me and moved sideways a bit, I start backing up

Mistake #1 - When it comes to bears, he who backs up first gets chased.

Marois was planting a food plot in a small clearing about 45 metres (150 feet) inside the bush line, where he planned to hunt deer in the fall - "My dad taught me that's where you get the big buck" - when the bear came up from behind him.

Mistake #2 - When in woods, watch your back... and your front, overhead, etc.

When the bear charged, Marois said he turned around and ran

Mistake #3 - Bears can run faster than people.

toward a nearby oak tree - "The one I wanted to put my tree-stand in" - and climbed three-quarters of the way up.

Mistake #4- Bears can climb faster than people.

He said he tried to fight the bear off from the tree's upper branches, but it kept coming up after him.
"I was hitting him on the nose and head, trying to hurt him. And every time I hit him he was scraping me and just pulling on my boots."

Mistake #5 - A bear can take a punch from a person much better than a person can take a punch from a bear.

Marois says he made at least 10 attempts to climb away from the bear and it kept coming after him.

At what point does Mr. Kibble figure out that the bear can climb too?

Marois, who said he forgot his bear spray at home, , then turned to the only weapon he had.

Mistake #6- There's a name for people who go into the woods without a weapon ... "Dinner"

"I got my lighter out" - a regular cigarette lighter - "and I started burning his face."
Marois said when he shoved the lighter in the bear's face it clawed him in the head.
"And that was it with the lighter, eh? No more lighters."

Mistake #7- Using a bic on a bear is like hitting a cougar with a rolled up newspaper. Great way to really tick him off though.

He said he prayed to God to send his guardian angel to protect him, because he couldn't fight the bear off any longer.
At that moment, the bear threw Marois from the tree - Marois figures about 20 feet - and he landed with a thud and a loud groan.

When he looked up, he watched the bear dive out of the tree in the opposite direction.

Bear defeated another male animal digging for food in his territory.... then left.

He heard the bear roaming around him, gnashing his teeth and making a guttural barking noise Marois called a "bawl" - the same noise it made before charging him.

Bear telling everyone he defeated another male animal digging for food in his territory.

"I was sure I was dead. I told God, 'Keep your hand over me, protect me.'"

Hopefully his god told him to keep still and shut-up.

Marois called his wife and then 911, but the rescue team and emergency crews couldn't find him in the thick bush.

It took rescuers - with the help of Marois's wife, Louise Beauchamp - more than an hour to find him. All the while Marois could hear the bear nearby.

Mistake #8 - Don't go into the woods without telling a friend or family member exactly where you are going.

He speaks angrily about the cancellation of the spring bear hunt in Ontario more than 10 years ago.

"I want (Premier Dalton McGuinty) to reconsider the spring bear hunt, so this doesn't happen no more."

Marois was an idiot, so it's the government's fault for not making the woods safe for human stupidity.

Marois believes the bear was tracking him.

Marois went into the bear's territory and started grubbing, and when confronted, ran like prey.

"It will be really hard to go back in the bush after this."

Good, because it doesn't sound like he belongs there.

Good, because it doesn't sound like he belongs there.

What just boggles me? This is a man who says he grew up in a hunting family. You would think if a man grew up in a hunting family they would know what to do, and NOT to do, in the woods. :mad:

My Dad gave me a book about bear behavior when I was ten or eleven, and I never set foot in bear country until my thirties, but when I did, I knew how to behave.

I no longer visit bear country, because I walk with a limp and that is just being mean to the bears. :D

Not to make light of Marois' situation, but that was hilarious Guardian! If I ever go into bear country, I know exactly what not to do now. :lol:

Sorry but being an animal lover...I gotta give it up for the bear. ;D Not a fan of hunters. At ALL.

Been around black and grizzly bears for a very long time; interfaced in there environs and know a few people who have been attacked, some seriously.

Stephen Herrero writes about bear attacks and some are quite strange – well documented researcher.

http://www.grandtetonpark.org/Stephen_Herrero_Bear_Attacks_p/10056.htm

Never been a hunter, but know a few; about ten years ago now two men who had met the year prior decided to hunt Elk in the mountains just east of where I live. These two, upon investigation, had shot and killed an Elk and were dressing it out high up in the mountains during a snow storm in late November. Both guns were leaning against a rock when they were both taken by two grizzlies.

In areas where hunting is prevalent, it is thought that bears associate shots with animal carcases and will come and investigate; those two died as a result of their direct actions.

About five years ago now; this time of year, a local engineer broke down in his truck on an isolated forest service road and started to walk for help; he was taken within a few km of his vehicle.

Many will say not to take a dog with you; they will lead a bear back to you. This is likely for many dogs; however, had a Blue Healer/Border Collie cross that was with me always while in the bush. Once, my dog suddenly stopped (she was not the silent type) and backed up ever so quietly. Taking her lead i did the same and waited for a good twenty minutes against an old fir tree until she was moving again, not on our original course – always paid attention to her and never left her at home.

Bears age, time of year, heat, bugs, cubs, pathology and much more all play a part in aggressive behaviour. Humans too have influences; things they do as was stated by Guardian, female menstruation has been a factor, existing wounds, habituation to food and for black bears, especially the two year old males who have just been kicked out by their mothers, they can be especially unpredictable with very predatory natures – they worry me more than grizzlies.

All this being said, bears are a fascinating animal and deserve our utmost respect and preservation. The fellow who unfortunately was attacked;
Marois was planting a food plot in a small clearing about 45 metres (150 feet) inside the bush line
- perhaps this was his Achilles Heel - he very lucky to have lived.

There are some grizzlies in our area that are > 1200 lbs and their feet can be close to 9 inches across – old Bores +/- 25 years of age.

There is nothing like seeing a pair of Silver Back Grizzlies glistening in the sun in an autumn meadow.

While I understand somewhat Gerald Marois fear and the terror he must have felt, I cant help but think that he was lucky. Had he encountered the bearsharktopus it would have been another story!

Q3Sjp.jpg

Personally, I liked the bic lighter scene. Poor guy was ready to try anything but had so little to work with. What a terrifying experience that must have been.

I have to admit, I feel a little put off at some of the laughing at one's expense, if not his vilification. He certainly made some very costly mistakes.

I think most would have trouble controlling their flight response in a situation like that or have trouble remembering which bear you lie down and play dead with and which one would eat you if you did.

I have to wonder if, being from the area, he had never seen a bear out there before and therefore had a degree of confidence. I think about guys I know who go out selectively harvesting wood off forests on their property, who have never seen a bear there and never bring a rifle with them.

In Canada you can't just carry guns around without a firearm permit and specific hunting license at specified times of year. You can't carry a rifle if there is no open hunting season. We only have the right to bare arms not bear arms. That's why we're so fond of t-shirts. ;)

So, not knowing the situation nor the man, I cannot judge.

I do sense a few belief structures in some of the posts, like all hunters are bad, hunting animals is bad, it's not tragic if a hunter gets nearly eaten by a bear. There was a time I even felt that way.

But in Canada, many lower to lower-middle income families subsidize their groceries with meat from the wild.

Hunters I have met throughout central and eastern Canada generally take only what they need (it's not for sport), use up as much of the animal as possible and donate the hides to aboriginal groups that run "hides for hats" programs, where they get a hat or some other animal skin/fur product in exchange.

The only hunters I ever met that didn't show deep respect for nature tended to be either wealthy or visiting Americans.

Maybe this guy was a fool or maybe he was a victim of an unexpected event, unusual for that area, and panicked. Either way, I feel really bad for the guy who is now permanently maimed and will probably suffer post traumatic stress disorder.

Gonzo

Back
Top Bottom