Mass Shootings

2 dead, 2 wounded in shooting at Walmart in Mississippi
SOUTHAVEN, Miss. (AP) July 30, 2019 — A gunman described as a disgruntled Walmart employee fatally shot two co-workers and wounded a police officer before he was shot and arrested Tuesday at a Walmart store in northern Mississippi, authorities said.

Southaven Police Chief Macon Moore said the man, whom he did not name, shot a Southaven police officer, who was protected by a bulletproof vest and suffered minor injuries. The chief said a second Southaven officer shot the suspect, who was then taken for surgery to a hospital in neighboring Memphis, Tennessee.

Both the people killed were Walmart employees, Moore said. Employees told The Associated Press that the first was shot in the parking lot, and the second was shot inside the store.

Southaven Mayor Darren Musselwhite described the suspect as a disgruntled worker with a grievance against his employer. Travis Jones, an overnight stocker, said the suspect had gotten in trouble after pulling a knife on a customer.

"It wasn't an accident," said Jones, who was working when he heard shots. "He knew what he was doing when he came in there."

Jones said he saw the body of store manager Anthony Brown on the floor as they ran out of the store. "It was an ugly scene," he said. DeSoto County Coroner Joshua Pounders said the 40-year-old Brown, an Olive Branch resident, appears to have died from a gunshot wound.

Nicholas Gales said the other slain worker was his brother, 38-year-old Brandon Gales of Hernando. Jones called Brandon Gales his best friend and an "all-around good guy," saying he was the father of multiple children.

The shooting at about 6:30 a.m. brought a massive police response to the shopping complex, at a busy exit off Interstate 55 in Southaven, a suburb of 55,000 people.

"Our police really showed their guts today," Musselwhite said, noting Southaven officers recently undertook active shooter training, "If it hadn't been for their efforts there would have been more lives lost."

Officers kept working to clear the store hours after the shooting, Moore said, in part because they found a suspicious package and called a bomb squad.

The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation will handle the inquiry into the officer's shooting of the suspect.

Moore said about 60 employees were working at the time. They were taken to the parking lot of an adjoining Chili's restaurant and interviewed by officers, remaining there for hours. Some embraced, while one was placed in an ambulance. Others gathered in a circle to pray. Finally, authorities brought employees back into the store after noon, spoke to them and released them to go home. The store remained closed, even as businesses operated as usual elsewhere on the high-traffic suburban strip.

"The entire Walmart family is heartbroken by the loss of two valued members of our team," Walmart U.S. President and CEO Greg Foran said in a statement Tuesday afternoon. "We feel tragedies like this personally, and our hearts go out to the families of our two associates and the officer who was injured."

The company is relieved the suspect was apprehended, and appreciates the quick response by authorities and its employees, Foran said.

"We'll continue to focus on assisting law enforcement in their investigation and on supporting our associates," he added.

As many of you've probably seen already, there is/was a shooting incident in El Paso at a local Walmart. As usual, first reports said that there were multiple shooters, but now the narrative is morphing into 'one shooter'.

I'm copying a tweet here for archiving (I took a screen shot of it just in case it disappears). Notice how it says multi [sic] reports of multiple shooters:

One more...

El Paso shooting at Cielo Vista Mall: What we know now
El Paso Staff Reports
Published 3:34 PM EDT Aug 3, 2019
Police reported a shooting at a Walmart in El Paso near Cielo Vista Saturday.

The El Paso Police Department on Saturday tweeted an alert about an "active shooter" in the area of Hawkins and Gateway East boulevards, which are the two roads flanking a Walmart store. A police department official confirmed the shooting was at the Walmart.

Later, the police department tweeted to stay away from the Cielo Vista Mall area and that the "scene is still active." The police also said to avoid the area from Airway Boulevard to Hawkins Boulevard to north of Interstate 10, near the Walmart.

The shooting is no longer active.

Multiple fatalities reported

An El Paso police officer at the scene said there were multiple fatalities in the attack, although the number was not confirmed. He said the number was not official, but he had been inside the store.

A spokesman for University Medical Center of El Paso said the hospital has received victims from the shooting, but did not have a number.

Several shooters reported, 3 in custody

Police reported via radio around midday that they had a suspect in custody.

An El Paso police spokesman said the shooting has ended, and Mayor Dee Margo said three suspects have been taken into custody.

Police say there were reports of multiple shooters in the attack.

Check back for more on this developing story.

Published 3:34 PM EDT Aug 3, 2019

This one isn't available for me already. Twitter says it doesn't exist... but the link to the CBS article is working, yet the title says "El Paso police say multiple people killed in shooting at shopping mall", nothing about multiple shooters, except this bit:

Earlier, El Paso police tweeted that they had received reports of "multiple shooters" but police later said they did not believe there was more than one gunman.

I was watching the live stream on YouTube from the local NBC station, and they put some witnesses on air that were calling in on the phone, and they were giving really interesting accounts, and then they said something like : (talking to the reporter) 'you are really a dumbf***'. And so the reporter says that apparently he had been pranked, and that this wasn't the time to be pulling such stunts.

Another site showed a picture of a person entering the store with a dark short sleeve shirt and camouflage pants and earmuffs. And glasses (or safety glasses). I though the earmuffs were kind of weird. He had no ammo belts or backpack or other guns, besides the rifle he was carrying in the ready position, and his cargo pockets didn't seem loaded with extra ammo, so that's another thing.

RT reports:

As many as 18 people are feared dead after a man armed with an AK-style rifle stormed a Walmart in El Paso, Texas. One man is in custody but police are searching for more suspects amid reports of up to three attackers involved.

[...]

Alleged manifesto: Anti-Hispanic, mentions Christchurch shooting
Ahead of the massacre, the suspected shooter allegedly posted a 4-page manifesto online on the notorious image board 8chan. The document, which has emerged on social media and is currently being studied by the FBI, was apparently influenced by the manifesto of the Christchurch mosque shooter, who massacred over 50 people in New Zealand in March.

The author of the alleged manifesto calls the attack on the Walmart a “response to [the] Hispanic invasion of Texas” and expresses extreme-right views, voicing his support to the Christchurch shooter.

Meanwhile, a relative of a shooting witness told KTSM-TV that the shooter was raving about “gamer revolution” – a reference to an obscure online meme – during the rampage.

Sounds fishy.

Here we go:

20 confirmed killed in El Paso Walmart shooting rampage
20 confirmed killed in El Paso Walmart shooting rampage31076
The suspect has been identified in the media as Patrick Crusius, a Texas native from Allen, near Dallas. There have been reports of a Christchurch massacre-inspired manifesto the attacker allegedly left behind, espousing anti-Hispanic extreme-right views.

I can already see the divisive discourse in the media in the upcoming days.

That was the caller I posted about previously. After several claims about the incident, the caller then calls the reporter a profanity over the air. So, it's hard to tell if those claims were serious.
I would say the guy was trolling the news anchor. Right before the caller called him a dumbf$&k, he made the comment that they were told they couldn’t leave the theatre because they might get raped by African migrants outside.

As to the poster above talking about the shooter wearing ear muffs, those weren’t ear muffs, but hearing protection. He probably has shot a gun at a range many times, safety glasses and hearing protection would be common.

Details are emerging right now, that there's another shooting going on in Dayton, Ohio.

I'm listening right now to the live feed of Dayton Police and Fire, and just a moment ago one officer said that there might be multiple shooters inside a green vehicle (?) – I couldn't hear clearly what he was saying. Previously, another officer said that "...the wounded should be taken to the safe area..."

Dayton Police and Fire:

Another manifesto eh?Well that's just so convenient.Might also be a bit of a distraction from the Epstein saga.A couple of weeks ago I felt in the dumps for an entire week and started to wonder if that was just me being sensitive to upcoming events (the orchestrated kind),seems like my instincts were right.Mind you tons of people are murdered daily,yet it's always convenient little events like this that can be boxed into current trends of thought that get the most attention.At this point my money's on him being the fall guy.

Back
Top Bottom