Massage and Bodywork

Moonbird said:
Huxley said:
After going for my first 'deep tissue' massage several days ago, i came away very disappointed. I was placed with a rather old masseuse, not meaning to be agest, and i barely felt anything considering i had booked a deep tissue.
I came out actually feeling annoyed at how rushed she was, and how i had over anticipated the massage itself.

From what i asked, i gathered that i have alot of build up tension/stress and knots on my shoulder blades and neck due to working repetitive tasks. She advised this would take weeks to fully get out and reset to normal. So i am planning on looking into getting a more specified neck/back/shoulder massage, but at a different location.
Im just seeing if anyone has any advice regarding to if the information on time scale to get this tension out is correct? Will it take several sessions, or does it just take a better masseuse to do the job?

The only thing i gained from my first session was the location of my knots on my back, which i can feel alot more than usual now!

Hi Huxley,

Sorry about your disappointing experience with the deep tissue massage. Did you let them know when you were leaving the establishment that you were not satisfied with the massage and that the therapist seemed rushed? Sometimes they will offer for you to come back and have another massage (complimentary) with someone different or they will discount the price of the massage. I think it is important to offer feedback after a massage especially if you were not satisfied.

I would say yes, that it could take more than one session to fully release the tension/knots, but I would think that you should have at least felt more relaxed after the massage.

And also I would say to look for a different massage therapist. Maybe when you call to book another appointment, you could let them know about your disappointment with your last deep tissue massage. It might help them to place you with an appropriate deep tissue massage therapist.
I agree, if they don't receive anything but positive feedback they will never know and continue giving below par service. It's good to have a wide range, that way the therapist can learn what their limitations are. Perhaps they don't have the strength for deep tissue and could focus on just giving really good relaxing massages instead. Or if they were having an off day it's ok for them to know that it was noticed and they can use that information to either take more care in future or learn to set personal issues aside for the good of the client.
If you don't feel comfortable talking face to face or on the phone then you could write an email perhaps?

Hello there Huxley,

I can understand why you were not satisfied with your treatment the way you describe it.

First of all, which type of massage was it, i mean deep tissue says it and yet not quite. I've noticed that many places they offer so called deep tissue massage, but without any real background for doing it. What I mean is that to me it seems like it has become a buzz-word of some sort. There are very efficient deep tissue massages like (Formerly discussed here, i think in this thread also) Rolfing and some other varieties of that.
Before continuing also a new place I would personally check out what exactly they offer.

One type of deep tissue massage I can personally recommend is Rebalancing. It is a lot like Rolfing (also built up around 10 sessions with different focus but same aim) and I have experienced it to be very very effective. Rebalancing focuses more on the mental part where Rolfing is more "clinical in it's approach" as far as my understanding is. I believe and have come to understand how much the physical and mental parts are connected.

It is mostly know in Europe more specific Germany/Austria/Switzerland but i could be wrong though and maybe it is available near you as well.

Regarding the length for a session it is one and a half hour at least and from my experience it is far from always that it needs many sessions of cause depending on how "tight up" you are in that area.

As a sidenote, were you told anything about what it meant for you to be having the problems in that area the first place you went. There are specific things connected to different areas in the body, which I have found to be quite exact.

Anyway, if you find the right one to massage you and you are open to things can change for you, it has been my experience that you have BIG changes coming your way:-)

Wish you all the best and if I can assist you in any way let me know Huxly.

Moonbird said:
Hi Huxley,

Sorry about your disappointing experience with the deep tissue massage. Did you let them know when you were leaving the establishment that you were not satisfied with the massage and that the therapist seemed rushed? Sometimes they will offer for you to come back and have another massage (complimentary) with someone different or they will discount the price of the massage. I think it is important to offer feedback after a massage especially if you were not satisfied.

I would say yes, that it could take more than one session to fully release the tension/knots, but I would think that you should have at least felt more relaxed after the massage.

And also I would say to look for a different massage therapist. Maybe when you call to book another appointment, you could let them know about your disappointment with your last deep tissue massage. It might help them to place you with an appropriate deep tissue massage therapist.

I did not let them know, i sat in the waiting room afterwards feeling rather calm to the zen music that was on - just trying to stay relaxed. Its only outside that my annoyance hit me. The massage itself was nice, dont get me wrong, as it was my first. But thats all it was, it didnt relieve any tension in the slightest. As i previously booked online, i will definitely call ahead to speak directly and to get some information on the selected massage itself thank you.

lainey said:
I agree, if they don't receive anything but positive feedback they will never know and continue giving below par service. It's good to have a wide range, that way the therapist can learn what their limitations are. Perhaps they don't have the strength for deep tissue and could focus on just giving really good relaxing massages instead. Or if they were having an off day it's ok for them to know that it was noticed and they can use that information to either take more care in future or learn to set personal issues aside for the good of the client.
If you don't feel comfortable talking face to face or on the phone then you could write an email perhaps?

Writing an email is something i will actually do later today, as although i said i felt relaxed at the time i think a part of me didnt want the confrontation. But when paying for a service, where it is not provided, and that i was not happy with should make me inclined to let them know.
Pretty much abit of a wake up call that i just dont like confrontation or complaining :/

DHTH said:
Hello there Huxley,

I can understand why you were not satisfied with your treatment the way you describe it.

First of all, which type of massage was it, i mean deep tissue says it and yet not quite. I've noticed that many places they offer so called deep tissue massage, but without any real background for doing it. What I mean is that to me it seems like it has become a buzz-word of some sort. There are very efficient deep tissue massages like (Formerly discussed here, i think in this thread also) Rolfing and some other varieties of that.
Before continuing also a new place I would personally check out what exactly they offer.

One type of deep tissue massage I can personally recommend is Rebalancing. It is a lot like Rolfing (also built up around 10 sessions with different focus but same aim) and I have experienced it to be very very effective. Rebalancing focuses more on the mental part where Rolfing is more "clinical in it's approach" as far as my understanding is. I believe and have come to understand how much the physical and mental parts are connected.

It is mostly know in Europe more specific Germany/Austria/Switzerland but i could be wrong though and maybe it is available near you as well.

Regarding the length for a session it is one and a half hour at least and from my experience it is far from always that it needs many sessions of cause depending on how "tight up" you are in that area.

As a sidenote, were you told anything about what it meant for you to be having the problems in that area the first place you went. There are specific things connected to different areas in the body, which I have found to be quite exact.

Anyway, if you find the right one to massage you and you are open to things can change for you, it has been my experience that you have BIG changes coming your way:-)

Wish you all the best and if I can assist you in any way let me know Huxly.

I booked for a deep tissue, but when i described my job and wants for the deep tissue massage the masseuse adviced it wouldnt be the best and she would alter it abit. Being my first massage i agreed thinking she new best.
When me and the person i went with (who also got a deep tissue, but with another women) compared, it seems i got the short straw in comparison to the other women :(
The lady did not advice anything other than continued sessions. No other information was given, other than ''your shoulders are a mess''. So i was left in the same location as when i entered.

I will keep looking for the right massage therapist for what i think i am in need of, but first i will actually look through this thread for a more guided knowledge of massage itself so i can actually understand what will be better for me and have more questions to ask when im there :).

Hi Huxley,

I experienced something similar to what you went through when I got a massage for the first time. Maybe try not to think of it so much as a confrontation, but rather more of a collaborative process that ends with both sides being served, if that makes sense.

As I currently understand it and have seen with some experienced workers, they will actually ask if you require more or less pressure. I'm not sure if this only occurs with those doing deep tissue work or any massage in general. I think this checking in process makes sense as every client has different needs and perception of the touch received. They also want the customer to be satisfied so that they will return so in that way, it's a win/win for everyone.

The advice given by others is good and try not to feel badly about it if you do. The people working on you should be asking you some questions so they have a clear understanding of how to meet your needs. Likewise, don't feel embarrassed about asking for what you deserve. :hug2:

Writing an email is something i will actually do later today, as although i said i felt relaxed at the time i think a part of me didnt want the confrontation. But when paying for a service, where it is not provided, and that i was not happy with should make me inclined to let them know.
Pretty much abit of a wake up call that i just dont like confrontation or complaining :/
I know, I'm the same. It's like I'm completely terrified of someone thinking that I am not happy with them, or terrified at the thought of confrontation, even though like truth seeker said, it's more like a collaboration. It's so silly because if we can't speak up for what we want/need then we will be left disappointed. So strange this fear of disapproval, I've got a pretty deep seated "be nice" programme where I will almost bend over backwards to help someone else even if they don't deserve it. It's character building to force ourselves to speak up in these situations though. I think this thread on friction and fusion is relevant perhaps:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,11803.msg86253.html#msg86253
Doing what it doesn't like and not taking the easy option.

truth seeker said:
As I currently understand it and have seen with some experienced workers, they will actually ask if you require more or less pressure. I'm not sure if this only occurs with those doing deep tissue work or any massage in general. I think this checking in process makes sense as every client has different needs and perception of the touch received. They also want the customer to be satisfied so that they will return so in that way, it's a win/win for everyone.

The advice given by others is good and try not to feel badly about it if you do. The people working on you should be asking you some questions so they have a clear understanding of how to meet your needs. Likewise, don't feel embarrassed about asking for what you deserve. :hug2:

Truth Seeker makes a good point. The therapist should be asking questions and checking in with you about the amount of pressure they are using because every body is different. What is deep pressure to one person may not be deep enough for somebody else. When someone comes in for a deep tissue massage, I ask them as I am beginning the massage to feel free to give me feedback throughout the massage if the pressure is too deep or not deep enough. I also ask them what areas they would like me focus on or spend extra time on.

Also, while you are receiving a massage, you could ask the therapist to use more pressure when they get to an area of your body where you're wanting more pressure, maybe in the back and shoulder areas for instance. I've noticed that many people book a deep tissue massage, but ask me not to go deep all over, just on the back, neck and shoulders.

The communication between client and therapist is important. I see it as tailor-making each massage to fit each person's needs.

truth seeker said:
Hi Huxley,

I experienced something similar to what you went through when I got a massage for the first time. Maybe try not to think of it so much as a confrontation, but rather more of a collaborative process that ends with both sides being served, if that makes sense.

Looking back, i do wish i had been abit more forward to explain that more pressure was needed. I naively must have thought that; they are the masseuse, they know exactly what to do. With little regard to feedback to help them, and myself in turn.
So yes i agree with all the previous advice, to voice up a little myself to help the process go smoothly :)

lainey said:
I know, I'm the same. It's like I'm completely terrified of someone thinking that I am not happy with them, or terrified at the thought of confrontation, even though like truth seeker said, it's more like a collaboration. It's so silly because if we can't speak up for what we want/need then we will be left disappointed. So strange this fear of disapproval, I've got a pretty deep seated "be nice" programme where I will almost bend over backwards to help someone else even if they don't deserve it. It's character building to force ourselves to speak up in these situations though. I think this thread on friction and fusion is relevant perhaps:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,11803.msg86253.html#msg86253
Doing what it doesn't like and not taking the easy option.

Im rather the same lainey. I would completely take a big hit to avoid a clash and confrontation - which must be a deeper programmer and fear of a certain social situation. Ive sent the company over an email, and even noticed how make nice i tried to make it voicing that it wasnt a true complaint, just feedback of how the situation left me feeling in regards to the masseuse. I had to even push myself to do it, because i seen that as quite confrontational. Trying to avoid it with ''it doesnt matter now, its over''. But i do feel a little more happy with the situation, and i wouldn't be to fussed if i didnt get a reply.
Thank you for the recommended thread!

Moonbird said:
Truth Seeker makes a good point. The therapist should be asking questions and checking in with you about the amount of pressure they are using because every body is different. What is deep pressure to one person may not be deep enough for somebody else. When someone comes in for a deep tissue massage, I ask them as I am beginning the massage to feel free to give me feedback throughout the massage if the pressure is too deep or not deep enough. I also ask them what areas they would like me focus on or spend extra time on.

Also, while you are receiving a massage, you could ask the therapist to use more pressure when they get to an area of your body where you're wanting more pressure, maybe in the back and shoulder areas for instance. I've noticed that many people book a deep tissue massage, but ask me not to go deep all over, just on the back, neck and shoulders.

The communication between client and therapist is important. I see it as tailor-making each massage to fit each person's needs.

This is a big part in which i missed with this kind of work now viewing it more fully. I expected HER to do all the work, and know whats what while i just sit back and then pay. I can see how the feedback and connection between client and therapist is vital to a more successful session. As i do hope to find someone who i enjoy the company and energy of, so i can stick to the same therapist to groove with so i can get the most out of massage as a true health tool.

Thank you all for the replies and advice, the search continues :scooter:

This extract of a trigger-point-self-massage-video was of great help for.

First, it really hurt (made it as gentle as possible), but after some sessions,
it was considerably better!

I also got some headaches, the day after. Maybe this symptom was related to a detoxification - the author talked about stored toxins build up in muscles that can irritate the nerves in that muscle.

http://youtu.be/KLEZ2H1qeoM

ines said:
This extract of a trigger-point-self-massage-video was of great help for.

First, it really hurt (made it as gentle as possible), but after some sessions,
it was considerably better!

I also got some headaches, the day after. Maybe this symptom was related to a detoxification - the author talked about stored toxins build up in muscles that can irritate the nerves in that muscle.

http://youtu.be/KLEZ2H1qeoM
Also we are taught in college that manipulation via massage stimulates the lymphatic system so you could well be pushing more toxins through your system which is leading to headaches. Make sure to drink plenty of water to aid this. :)

Hi everybody and thank you very much for this thread. I would like to ask you about the Chi Nei Tsang massage that I heard about last week. Did someone already try it ? It is focused on the belly and all the negative emotions associated that could be stuck in. As I have many years with belly issues (iodine process help me in a good way for that), I will try this kind of massage next week and tell you my impressions. Here is some informations in french : http://chineitsang.marin.free.fr/LeCNT.htm.

Hi everyone,
I only have time for a quick post and I will elaorate further later.
There are a lot of misconceptions about massage that abound, which are not supported at all by any literature or research.
We make many assumptions about what it is doing to the tissues.
It is important to consider that the muscle and connective tissues are embedded in the neural system, consequently all massage is a sensory experience over and above the tissue manipulation aspect.
The therapists touch and the quality of it determine the response which includes pressure, responsiveness (curve and contact of the hands adapting to the contours of the body), pressure checking etc. The potential of the individual at that time also determines the response.
Then there is the component of consciousness and is the therapist sufficiently developed in their ability to pay attention to the needs of the client , focussing for the entire session on these needs.
This all adds up to the entire experience is a communication with the clients body senses by the therapist. Each touch and pressure as well as the clinic environment and verbal language is interpretted by the clients central nervous system to dictate the response in the muscles and body.This will determine whether you feel relaxed or not.
Trigger point therapy is a hazy area. It can help, so can "deep tissue" massage but only as it applys pressure which causes the central nervous system to send a signal to the muscles to reduce the Hoffman reflex. However this will not be a pernmanent fix. The client must learn to connect with this tension themselves and reduce their own tension also. It is a partnership between client and therapist.

I will try post more info and summary of studies that address some massage myths.

I haven't been posting much lately as I have been super busy with my Masters in health science. I am about to embark on a thesis research project looking into manual therapy and bodywork so hope to keep you all updated.

Massage is an amazing gift, manual manipulation of tissues is only a small small part of what is involved in this therapist client interaction

gottathink said:
Hi everyone,
I only have time for a quick post and I will elaorate further later.
There are a lot of misconceptions about massage that abound, which are not supported at all by any literature or research.
We make many assumptions about what it is doing to the tissues.
It is important to consider that the muscle and connective tissues are embedded in the neural system, consequently all massage is a sensory experience over and above the tissue manipulation aspect.
The therapists touch and the quality of it determine the response which includes pressure, responsiveness (curve and contact of the hands adapting to the contours of the body), pressure checking etc. The potential of the individual at that time also determines the response.
Then there is the component of consciousness and is the therapist sufficiently developed in their ability to pay attention to the needs of the client , focussing for the entire session on these needs.
This all adds up to the entire experience is a communication with the clients body senses by the therapist. Each touch and pressure as well as the clinic environment and verbal language is interpretted by the clients central nervous system to dictate the response in the muscles and body.This will determine whether you feel relaxed or not.
Trigger point therapy is a hazy area. It can help, so can "deep tissue" massage but only as it applys pressure which causes the central nervous system to send a signal to the muscles to reduce the Hoffman reflex. However this will not be a pernmanent fix. The client must learn to connect with this tension themselves and reduce their own tension also. It is a partnership between client and therapist.

I will try post more info and summary of studies that address some massage myths.

I haven't been posting much lately as I have been super busy with my Masters in health science. I am about to embark on a thesis research project looking into manual therapy and bodywork so hope to keep you all updated.

Massage is an amazing gift, manual manipulation of tissues is only a small small part of what is involved in this therapist client interaction
I looked into this a little while I was studying my HNC in Complementary Therapies. Part of my anatomy and physiology assessment was to investigate the effects of massage on the body and look for evidence to back up those claims. One of the most interesting things I found was about the theory that massage helps to reduce the build up of lactic acid in the muscles post exercise. I'll share the relevant part of my report here, perhaps you will find it interesting.
In a study by Crane and colleagues published in Science Translational Medicine findings on pain reduction were investigated on a sample of 11 men:

“Each participant was asked to exercise to the point of exhaustion to create exercise-induced muscle damage to the thighs. Immediately following the exercise, participants recovered for 10 minutes. Massage oil was lightly applied by a registered massage therapist to both quadriceps while the participant lay in the supine position. To assess the effects of the massage, the research team administered either massage treatment or no treatment to the quadriceps of each participant; such that, one leg was randomized to receive the massage treatment for 10 minutes. The treatment included the use of three types of soft tissue manipulations: (1) two minutes of effleurage, using moderate pressure at the beginning and end of the treatment; (2) three minutes of petrissage; and (3) three minutes of slow muscle stripping. After massage, the subjects rested for 10 minutes. Unique to this study, muscle biopsies were acquired from the participants’ quadriceps (vastus lateralis) at three time points: before treatment (also known as baseline), right after massage treatment, and after a 2.5 hour recovery period.
Findings indicated massage therapy reduced inflammation through production of inflammatory cytokines; and promoted mitochondrial biogenesis, promoting enhanced recovery. However findings did not support the popular notion that massage therapy clears lactic acid from muscle tissue; nor did glycogen levels change.”

“These study findings provide evidence that manipulative therapies may be justifiable in medical practice. According to Crane and colleagues, the effects of massage are akin to the same mechanism as conventional drugs, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Findings such as these, are the basis for providing patients and clients the option of massage therapy opposed to conventional drug-based therapies (e.g. NSAIDs).” [Massage today, 2015]

This evidence would support the decreased healing time and pain reduction aims of body massage as the positive effects of the anti-inflammatory cytokines would help to speed up the process of reducing inflammation in the affected area. Yet it seems to disprove the popular notion that massage helps to remove lactic acid from the muscles. This is supported in an article by Dan Ketchum:

“While relaxation massage focuses on stress reduction, rehabilitative massage aims to reduce pain and promote healing in the muscles. Previous beliefs claimed that the massage's application of pressure squeezed lactic acid from muscles, resulting in pain relief -- but this is not exactly how it works. In 2012, a study conducted by neurometabolic researcher Mark Tarnopolsky found that 30 percent more of the PGC-1 alpha gene was found in muscles that had been massaged directly following exercise. This gene encourages mitochondria production, and mitochondria in turn help the body process food into energy. Similarly, massage led to a 2/3 reduction in the normal amount of the protein complex NFkB, an agent responsible for painful inflammation.” [Livestrong, 2014]

It implies that although the theory about lactic acid may be false, massage promotes reduced healing time through reduction of inflammation and stimulation of the mitochondria which are present in every cell of the muscle. This would decrease the amount of pain experienced during periods of inflammation.

http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/article.php?id=14610
https://www.painscience.com/articles/does-massage-work.php#sec_lactic_acid
(the link to the original Livestrong article that I used no longer works and takes you to a different article which I found strange)

HI Lainey,
Yes there are some key studies that massage therapy rests upon. One of these the study you cite in your report with the finding:
Findings indicated massage therapy reduced inflammation through production of inflammatory cytokines; and promoted mitochondrial biogenesis, promoting enhanced recovery. However findings did not support the popular notion that massage therapy clears lactic acid from muscle tissue; nor did glycogen levels change.”
You also provide the link to painscience.com which is an excellent blog written by a massage therapist as you will probably know and dedicated to the critical evaluation of massage science.

Paul Ingram also provides a critique of the Crane et al study.
https://www.painscience.com/articles/research-crane.php

Providing this link to by David Gorski:
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/massage-therapy-decreases-inflammation/
So what does David Gorski have to say about the Crane study?
Thus, the proper conclusion of this study is that there was little or no significant effect in inflammation-related gene expression from massage. That would have been perfectly fine as a conclusion. After all, negative studies happen and should be published.

Yet that’s not what was concluded. They did not report what was in essence a negative study.

Instead, the authors concluded that they had found that massage was anti-inflammatory, and that that’s how it “works.” They concluded that it “promoted mitochondrial biogenesis” without showing any evidence for anything other than the thinnest of thin evidence, a small increase in one signaling protein that promotes mitochondrial formation. And the news media ate it up.

None of this is to say that massage is useless or that it might not have therapeutic benefit in some circumstances. What this is to say is that this study, contrary to how it’s being portrayed, is not slam-dunk evidence that massage is some sort of “non-drug” treatment for inflammation that can replace non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Unfortunately, whether because the authors were naive or desperate to salvage something from a study that didn’t show very much, that’s not how it was sold. The media might be guilty of overselling this study, but at least one of the authors was either complicit or didn’t realize how his words would be represented. Now this study is out there; look for massage therapists who are into woo to be pointing to this study for years to come as “proof” that massage is anti-inflammatory and “regenerates mitochondria.”

I find massage therapy seems to be a meme complex, which has "self replicating and mutating patterns of information that are assumed to be relevant for scientific study."(thank you Wikipedia).

The assumption is made that mechanical manipulation of the tissues is beneficial and that mechanical manipulation of the tissues is the mechanism of any benefit that results from a treatment session.
What studies are actually showing is that the therapeutic alliance between practitioner and client is in fact the number one consistent factor which influences client and patient outcomes. This is across the board, massage, physiotherapy, medical practitioners, psychotherapists everyone.
So what is actually going on. Why does massage feel so good when you find a good massage therapist. And why do we crave deep tissue painful massage? For one thing pressure shuts down the muscle tension resulting from the Hoffman reflex. But it will and does come back if that is the only component employed. A good massage will combine a variety of therapeutic ingrediants keeping in mind the care and attention by the therapists plays a big role.
Now we can weave together how the vagus nerve is stimulated by human communication resulting in rest and recovery. The sensory experience described by Diane Jacobs as dermoregulation causes a relaxation response also. Myofascial release (MFR) by a forceful stretch can be ruled out and painscience.com also does have a good list of articles that discuss this. However fascial unwinding may well be a key phenomenom in bodywork. Ideomotion is perhaps a better model that describes whats happening here.
From my last report:

Various theories exist to explain MFR: neurobiologic, ideo-motor action and consciousness model. These combine to present a reasonable hypothesis that explains MFR as a tissue response to sensory input which is mediated by the central and autonomic nervous systems (28).
MFR is possibly a mechanism that reduces pain. A randomised controlled trial (n= 120) involving adults with either neck pain or non-specific low back pain used ultra sound screening to show increased organ mobility within the myofascia of the neck and abdomino-pelvic region after application of both direct and indirect fascial release techniques. Fascial gliding of the organs increased and this was correlated to reduced pain scores (29). A randomised controlled trial involving nurses with chronic low back pain (n=74) investigated the effects of MFR plus specific back exercises on the thoracolumbar and posterior muscles of the pelvis, compared to sham MFR plus SBE. At eight weeks MFR participants experienced a 53.3% reduction in pain and a 29.7% reduction of disability scores. The control group experienced compared 26.1% and 9.8% drop respectively (30). Movement of and between tissues is the key concept of MFR.

What is ideo-motor movement?
Ideo-motor movement is defined as automatic movement not consciously directed. Or actions that can be described as expressions of dominant ideas (31, 32). For example thoughts becoming speech or tasks originating from sequential learning such as tying a shoelace. These actions can be intentionally induced or are elicited when a desired movement inhibitory control is relaxed (32, 33). Movement phenomena that have historically been attributed to para-normal activity are comprehensible as reflex functions of the brain expressed as ideo-motor actions (31). It has been proposed that the facilitation of fascial unwinding in indirect MFR is better explained as a ideo-motor expression rather than the release of stored potential energy in the fascia (28, 34).

How does ideo-motor movement help chronic pain?
It is proposed ideo-motor movement allows the body to reduce the experience of painfully stressed tissues due to tension (33, 34). One example of this therapy is named “Simple Contact”. In its application gentle contact is made by the therapist with their hands to stressed areas of the body which does not introduce movement rather follows and supports it (34). Other examples of therapy’s that utilise ideo-motor movement are “Authentic Movement”(35) and “Trauma Release Exercise” (36). Simple Contact was used in a single case design study of a 40 year old female with a ten year history of cervical pain (37). An absolute reduction of pain intensity at the conclusion of the study was demonstrated which was more pronounced during the three week treatment phase. The advantage of ideo-motor therapy is that it enlivens muscle tissues and activate myofascial
28. Minasny B. Understanding the process of fascial unwinding. Int J Ther Massage Bodyw. 2009;2(3):10-7.
29. Tozzi P, Bongiorno D, Vitturini C. Fascial release effects on patients with non-specific cervical or lumbar pain. Journal of bodywork and movement therapies. 2011;15(4):405-16.
30. Ajimsha MS, Daniel B, Chithra S. Effectiveness of Myofascial release in the management of chronic low back pain in nursing professionals. Journal of Bodywork & Movement Therapies. 2014;18(2):273-81 9p.
31. Stock A, Stock C. A short history of ideo-motor action. Psychological research. 2004;68(2-3):176-88.
32. Knuf L, Aschersleben G, Prinz W. An analysis of ideomotor action. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. 2001;130(4):779.
33. Rickards L. Ideomotor Movement in Pain Management.
34. Dorko BL. The analgesia of movement: ideomotor activity and manual care. Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2003;6(2):93-5.
35. Wyman‐McGinty W. The body in analysis: Authentic movement and witnessing in analytic practice. Journal of Analytical Psychology. 1998;43(2):239-60.
36. Berceli D. The revolutionary trauma release process: Transcend your toughest times: Namaste Pub.; 2008.
37. McCarthy S, Rickards LD, Lucas N. Using the concept of ideomotor therapy in the treatment of a patient with chronic neck pain: a single system research design. International Journal of Osteopathic Medicine. 2007;10(4):104-12.
38. Levine PA. Waking the tiger: Healing trauma: The innate capacity to transform overwhelming experiences: North Atlantic Books; 1997.

In addressing some of the misconceptions about massage I hope we can start to address why some people such as Huxley had a disatisfying massage experience. I too have never had a good massage and I am a massge therapist and have received plenty. This tells me it has a heck of alot to do with me, but also massage therapists make an assumption that they can help.
As Lainey has pointed out massage does not improve lactic acid removal, nor does it improve circulation. In fact it hinders both these things. Better off to go for a walk.
Headaches are often not caused by so called toxins. Most often in my clinical experience they can be because tension has increased in the neck area due to an improperly balanced massage or too much pressure trying to address the tension that is there which is balancing other tension. Alot of tension is holding the body together desperately.
I have ended up with horrendous headaches after a qualified massage therapist stretched my neck ,or worked my back over too aggressively causing me to be physically ill. I also haven't wanted to show displeasure with the treatment I have recieved. I now never seek out a massage.
I have met people who have received deep tissue massage and they can not train, ride their bike for a week or run because the massage they received injured their tissues and they were so sore.
I am now after a decade and a half of practice a massage skeptic, it is not what it promotes itself to be or do, so if Huxley you are disappointed with the massages you receive you are not alone.
But still some massage practitioners must do a great job, and I think they must be as rare as hens teeth.

I'm a great advocate of therapeutic massage since that is pretty much what brought me back to functionality after an auto accident that left me half crippled. The doctors wanted to do surgery and fuse vertabrae in my neck and low back, but I refused. I wanted to try to find healing before I resorted to that. I went through about four massage therapists before I found the one who knew how to do what was needed. And that included a variety of therapeutic modalities. Through the process, I sure when through some stuff... including flashes of past life memories, spirit releasement, etc. The therapist came three times a week for a few months, then once a week, then once every two weeks, and then once a month. I pretty much stuck to that schedule until we came to France.

In France, I was totally dismayed to learn that massage is not really considered therapeutic and healing - which it CAN be! It was your basic nicey-nice spa/relax massage; not much substance to it and certainly, the practitioners didn't know very much about the body systems and had only basic knowledge about muscle groups. We searched for and tried out just about everybody in our area to no avail.

Then, we discovered that one of our readers, an American living down near Marseille, was a Rolfer and that there are a couple of French Rolfers. She came up and would work on several of us over a weekend at serious discount and that was kind of a lifesaver. But then, her husband died and her own health started to go south, so that source was cut off.

I did find a good reflexologist who worked on me after my last surgery and really helped to jump-start the recovery/detox process. We still see her a couple times a year.

Now, for the interesting news: a few weeks ago, Chu saw a "massage" sign on a building in Montauban and quickly jumped out and grabbed a brochure. It was advertising traditional Chinese massage. We weren't sure that it wasn't a "massage parlor with a red light". Anyway, a couple of weeks went by and then finally we decided that I would be the guinea pig to check it out since I had so much experience with massage. That was yesterday.

I have to say that I've never had a massage like that... it was AMAZING. It's called Tui na. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tui_na )

The woman was definitely a healer, using her own chi along with the massage itself. Some parts of it were really intense. She would stand on the table and use her weight to break a spasm. She used elbows, too! Today, I really feel like I've been through some kind of experience and that some stuff in my body that was going the wrong way has been broken down and turned around.

Once I recover from the massage, I'll go for a second one!!!

Two videos about it that nowhere near come close to what I experienced yesterday!!! Don't know why they don't really talk about the very specific techniques and how it all relates to activating the meridians and such. Prolly just American fakes.

https://youtu.be/xlLyYFEPDEo

https://youtu.be/CQzVLFCUAoM

This one is closer to the real deal. The whole process takes about an hour and a half.

https://youtu.be/zUm068JPhtM

This guy has some training videos:
http://www.elotus.org/bio/jun-qing-luo-daoist-master-orthopedic-specialist-china

Back
Top Bottom