Menopause!

With respect to doing all we can in these crazy times to stay healthy and minimize stress factors, i thought i'd share this Epoch Times article Gaby posted on X. The article is about symptoms of menopause that might not be expected and it was really helpful for me. The first paragraph describes the menopausal journey of a 53 year old woman:

At 53, Rida Rafiq's journey through menopause was complex, marred by a misdiagnosis of severe acid reflux. She began suffering from episodes of burning sensations that spread from her abdomen to her neck and arms, accompanied by weight loss, anxiety, and depression. Despite numerous medical interventions, including endoscopies and emergency care, relief remained elusive until a hormonal test revealed the true culprit—menopause.

I am also 53 and around April this year, i also exhibited acid reflux symptoms, i had suffered weight loss, heart palpitations, bouts of insomnia and was really stressed about it. Around Christmas last year i had finished Sally Norton's book on oxalates and had shifted to a more oxalate free diet, which, when done too fast, as i did, can also cause unpleasantness, so I wrote my symptoms off to that. But they persisted while i had readjusted my diet, and finally in May of this year i went to the doctor and had a full set of tests done; ECG, blood panel and the like (but not hormonal tests). The results were that i was perfectly healthy, my weight was perfect for me and i need not worry. I had read that heart palpitations can be brought on by menopause and mentioned that to the doctor. He just shrugged and asked if i was interested in his extremely expensive hormonal replacement therapy, which i am not atm.

Later in the year i visited my mother and my friend, who is 54. We had dinner when suddenly my friend had a series of hot flashes, so we discussed menopause issues and sure enough, my mother, who is now 79, was like, "Oh yeah, when i was in my 50s i had these heart palpitations for years, and was really worried about it, but never said anything!" I never knew that and felt quite relieved when thinking that my episodes of heart palpitations earlier in the year had most probably been brought on by menopause. I also discussed these issues with other friends who are in their 50s and early 60s, and, not surprisingly now, like the article says, they, like me, are also not well educated in the broad range of symptoms that menopause can cause. I am fine now, but it seems some symptoms can last for up to 10 years. I was wondering if perhaps others have some of their unique experiences with menopause they would like to share?

Back
Top Bottom