Men's Health

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Had a bit of a scare recently and wanted to share it here because I learned something I didn't know. But I thought I could do it in the larger context of Men's Health and we could have a thread about issues that more specifically affect men.

I've had a dull ache in my right testicle. It was there for a week or so and wasn't particularly painful, but more just uncomfortable. If anything, it was only if I wore something too tight, so I just avoided doing so and stuck to looser fitting clothes.

That helped, so I didn't give it much more attention, until after another couple of weeks, the problem still seemed to be there and felt a bit worse. So the other night, when I went to bed, I checked my testicle and found that it had enlarged quite alarmingly. If I had to estimate, I'd say it's maybe 20% bigger.

This was very frightening. I did some googling and found that there can be a number of causes for this: dull ache, enlarged testicle.

One of the causes is called testicular torsion. It's more common among young men, and indeed, I remember a friend of mine having to go to the hospital for this problem when we were around 18 years old. It's a serious issue that needs to be operated on immediately.

Other causes stated on health websites include infection, testicular cancer, and injury.

I called my GP the next morning and got an appointment. He examined my abdominal area, pressing to see if there was pain anywhere else, and then examined my testicle. He was applying gentle pressure and I was quite surprised to find that it actually didn't really hurt while he was doing this.

He then asked me to give a urine sample and when he tested it, he found that I have a urinary infection. He explained to me that a urinary infection can cause these symptoms and I just had no idea that could happen. I was also a bit surprised that I could have a urinary infection since I take a lot of Vit C, along with other meds which should be effective against infections.

He's given me a course of antibiotics, of the same family as cipro, which I'll take for two weeks. He's also booked me in for an ultrasound just to make there's nothing else going on. I'm just waiting for the appointment to come through.

I just remembered about D-Mannose. I don’t think I’ve had a urinary infection before so it didn’t immediately come to mind.

I’ve ordered it in powder form which will arrive tomorrow. I’ll take a teaspoon of it each day.

I'm sorry to hear about this. Like your response in the Hawthorn thread, I'm sure you will heal right up. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Do you take Goldenseal root? It popped into my head when I was reading your post. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It might help after your antibiotic schedule has run its course.

Urinary tract and yeast infections

Goldenseal is a common herbal remedy for urinary tract infections (UTIs) and yeast infections.

Cell studies suggest that berberine, one of the main active compounds in goldenseal, may protect your body against various bacteria and fungi (18, 19, 20, 21).

For instance, berberine may stop bacteria from sticking to the walls of your bladder, potentially preventing or helping treat a UTI (22).

Berberine is also believed to keep Candida albicans, a fungus that’s naturally present in the human body, from multiplying in excess (23).

When present in normal numbers, Candida poses no health issues. However, when present in excessive amounts, this fungus can cause vaginal yeast infections, oral thrush, skin rashes, and UTIs (24, 25).

In one study, people with recurrent UTIs given a mix of herbal extracts containing berberine were less likely to experience another UTI than those given no berberine (26).

[FYI:] Although the results from this study seem promising, no human studies have directly examined the effect of goldenseal on UTIs or yeast infections to date. Therefore, more studies are needed before strong conclusions can be made.

There's also this small part of a larger post that you may already be familiar with, though I don't know if it applies:
Leaky gut is an ailment which allows partially digested foods, toxins and bad bacteria to percolate though the small intestine and into the blood stream, contributing to a large number of serious ailments ranging from lupus, candida and arthritis to all sorts of food and other allergies. Its causes and how to heal the leaky gut and Candida are explored on this page.

Hey T.C, it's a good job you got it checked out, I'm glad you're not in any pain.

I'm not a doctor but from what I've read fluoroquinolone antibiotics can cause serious side effects in some people. If it were me I would keep an eye out for any side effects or consider asking for an alternative. For more info:

Hope you get this sorted and thanks for sharing. That would be terrifying for any man.

There is also a more benign form of testicular pain that you can get, which has a similar dull ache but no enlargement and no obvious problem with the testes themselves. It's usually caused by some problem or tightness in the circuit surrounding the root chakra that runs down from the lower back, through the glutes and into pelvic floor. Sometimes certain movements like heavy bench pressing can trigger it.

Best solution is to do some deep stretching work focusing on the hips, the hamstrings/lower back, inner thighs, pigeon pose for the glutes etc.

Stretching these areas is also of great benefit for general energy flow and sexual health. Sometimes you'll be walking around for days with super tight PC muscle and will feel, quite literally very up-tight, but stretching properly can relieve it quickly.

I can attest from personal experience that you should avoid fluoroquinolone antibiotics like the plague. The potential side effects are not to be scoffed at.

I had the misfortune of being prescribed these years ago so speaking from personal experience.

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics: Prescribe only as last resort, says UK regulator. Serious adverse reactions to fluoroquinolones include tendinitis or tendon rupture, muscle pain, muscle weakness, joint pain, joint swelling, peripheral neuropathy, and central nervous system effects.

Adding more context as I see @T.C. HAS been prescribed this type of antibiotic. When I was prescribed it, my health deteriorated within 4 days where I had quite strong nervous system effects plus peripheral neuropathy. It was so bad I went back to my GP and he told me to stop the course immediately. Years later I still feel the after effects.

That antibiotic isn't a joke.

Last edited:
Hey T.C, it's a good job you got it checked out, I'm glad you're not in any pain.

I'm not a doctor but from what I've read fluoroquinolone antibiotics can cause serious side effects in some people. If it were me I would keep an eye out for any side effects or consider asking for an alternative. For more info:
Yes, I would ask for an alternative to cipro and I would not take the cipro until having that conversation with the doctor.

If I was you, I'd go back to your GP on Monday and request / demand a different type of antibiotic. Come up with a lie if you have to.

Potential issues you may get from taking it for 2 weeks (😵‍💫)are likely to far outweigh the discomfort you are suffering now from the infection.

Only saying this as I have lived through taking that antibiotic plus getting to experience some of its side effects and I'd much rather you avoid the same experience. Not worth it!

Yes, very unfortunate that he chose fluoroquinolones as an antibiotic. To his credit, he's treating you as a complicated urinary infection. When faced with such a situation, you either drink lots of water to prevent crystallization of the antibiotic in your collagen, or just say that you would like to have it replaced by something else other than a fluoroquinolone because of possible side effects. Worse case, he makes you consent that a different antibiotic might not do such a good job.

I would have chosen Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) - very old school with a very well-known profile. Excellent penetration to the prostate gland and surrounding tissues. That and D-mannose plus any other remedy you might want to add, and you should be good.

I´m sorry about your problems and I hope you get better soon.

I looked it up and in Louise Hay book it says:
Edited: I´ve read acne while you wrote in caft ache. Sorry. Acne: Not accepting the self. Dislike of the self. Affirmation: I am a Divine expression of life. I love and accept myself where I am right now.
Testicles: Masculine principles. Masculinity. Affirmation: It is safe to be a man.

In any case, I hope that the treatment will work and the problems won´t return.

In the old school medicine the culture and antibiogram to find the most effective antibiotic was always next step . Not sure why they dont do that anymore. I know of the case where they blindly prescribed Ciprofloxacin and the bacteria that was causing the problem was strongly resistant to it.
Nowadays it seems to be common practice to immediately prescribe the latest generation of antibiotics like floroquinolones that Jenn mentioned - these can sometimes have nasty side effects like even severe depression or mania.

D- mannose is a great stuff but if you have persistent strain it will not take care of it and the infection can become chronic and even ascend to the kidneys in worst case scenario. Therefore I would always insist on antibiogram - or antibiotic sensistivity test and chose the antibiotic that has least possible side effects and will target bacteria that is causing the problem.
Then D-mannose can be used to finish the job and maintain the right environment on bladder lining.

Waking up to discover a lemon-sized testicle will definitely get your attention! I had your experience about 10 years ago and took Bactrim and, everything was back to normal a few days later. The only residual effect seems to have been a slight shortening of the muscle (?) suspending the testicle. :-)

Back
Top Bottom