Milk and other Dairy Products Discussion

You Tube Film...Fox News Kills Monsanto Milk Story

Thank you Nordic Healer for the mercola link. I will share this with other farmers and community members who are concerned with the proliferation of GMO crops in our state.
Monsanto has made the Hawaiian Islands one of the largest GMO corn produces in the US, with over 8,000 acres state wide.
Local grassroots organizations and small organic farmers have been trying for years to educate residents about the negative health and agriculture results of Monsanto's 'GMO's' & 'Round Up Ready Seeds' The state government shows little concern toward the negative health effects of Monsanto and it's agro-business techniques. Obviously because Monsanto is providing jobs and large revenues for the state. This link explains why the state turns a blind eye to Monsanto's practices.
http://www.monsanto.com/who_we_are/locations/unitedstates/hawaii/agr_biotech.asp
Monsanto Hawaii said:
Agricultural Biotech in the Islands

Overview and Economic Impact
Monsanto Hawaii is part of Hawaii's growing seed industry, valued at $98 million and providing more than 2,000 jobs, including many skilled and high-paying positions. Monsanto Hawaii alone currently employs approximately 650 employees statewide.

According to an economic analysis commissioned by the Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation (HFBF), the Hawaii seed industry today contributes approximately $144 million of economic activity annually to our state’s economy. This translates to $7 million in annual taxes to the state and $53 million in annual labor income.

In addition to its economic contributions, Hawaii’s seed industry benefits the state by providing employment for people living in rural areas who do not participate in the tourism industry. Many of these jobs are well paying, technical positions that provide opportunities for local college graduates to remain in Hawaii to pursue successful careers. The seed industry also helps keep farm lands in productive agricultural use, and by the nature of its business, is significantly less demanding on natural resources than other types of agricultural operations.

Hawaii's biotechnology jobs are not easily exportable. Whereas other types of agriculture have waned in Hawaii due to competition from other countries, there are few places in the world that are as ideal as the Hawaiian Islands for agricultural biotechnology. This industry is therefore likely to remain a growing source of good, lasting jobs for the foreseeable future.

Hawaii has proven to be an ideal location for Monsanto's agricultural operations. The islands' year-round growing environment and minimal temperature fluctuations, the state's dynamic regulatory and legal environment, and our diverse and capable workforce all contribute to the success of Monsanto's global operations.
The real disturbing issue here is that Hawaii stills imports 90% of it's food from outside the state! And local small farmers get very little support and funding to change this statistic!

Rabbit Milk

I saw this article in the Times in the UK last weekend on farmed Rabbit Milk production.
Someone, must have actually thought, "I know, let's try milking a rabbit"rabbit!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/medicine/article6991031.ece

From The Sunday Times
January 17, 2010
Hop over here, Flopsy Bunny, stroke victims need your milk
Lois Rogers

The rabbits have been genetically modified to include a human gene

The rabbits have been genetically modified to include a human gene

SCIENTISTS are creating herds of dairy rabbits to exploit the medical benefits of their milk. The first commercial milking of rabbits, using specially adapted eight-teat machines, is already taking place at a farm in Holland.

The rabbits have been genetically modified to include a human gene, which means their milk contains a protein called C1 inhibitor. C1 helps control inflammation in the body, and a lack of it can be highly damaging.

The milk protein is intended to prevent the rejection of transplant organs and tissue damage in survivors of strokes and heart attacks, as well as helping car crash victims who have suffered traumatic bruising to internal organs.

C1 can be harvested from human blood and other animal sources, but is expensive to obtain and carries the risk of contamination and infection with viruses such as Aids or CJD, the human version of “mad cow disease”. Such issues do not arise with milk from the high-tech rabbit farm.
Related Links

* Smarter than you think

* Why every second counts for a stroke sufferer

The milk could also help to treat the hereditary immune disorder angioedema. The condition, partly caused by a lack of C1, affects 2,000 people in Britain. So far 200 patients have taken part in trials for Rhucin, a treatment derived from the rabbit milk. It is awaiting approval from European drug regulators and will be launched in the UK later this year.

Hilary Longhurst, an immunologist at Barts hospital in London, said: “I am really excited. This therapy will transform the lives of sufferers.”

Further farms are expected to open to meet demand.

Sijmen de Vries, the chief executive of Pharming, the biotech company behind the project, said: “There is a great unmet need for this product. We have the capacity to produce it cheaply in unlimited quantities.” A contented New Zealand white rabbit can produce 140ml a day.

“The rabbits are highly productive and reproductive,” added de Vries.

Re: Rabbit Milk

You know, while I am aware that milking a cow is not less gross that milking a rabbit, when I saw the title of this post I was freaked out. Just shows how strong programming can be...

Making the Commitment to Stop Eating Dairy

I love milk and cheese, and ,to a lesser extent, eggs. I know that in itself was probably a clue that my body is reacting negatively to them. I'd already cut out milk maybe 2 months ago and replaced it with rice milk. I rarely eat eggs these days anyway because I had really only been eating them if we went to a restaurant like Perkins that makes great omelets.

Long story short... I had two offenders this morning as my boyfriend wanted ham and egg biscuits. Well, I had eggs and cheese and within half an our I am feeling mildly nauseous and, more annoyingly, I have this noticeable brain fog/foggy headache thing going on.

I've been fairly good about my diet - I have very little wheat products, but they don't seem to cause any problems for me when I do have a little. The eggs/milk/cheese, though... I am going to have to be done with them completely. (Oh I usually eat rice chex with rice milk for breakfast, so I'll stick to that I guess. I'm one of those people that's okay with eating the same thing every day, lol)

Re: Making the Commitment to Stop Eating Dairy

Hi Brenda,
Not so sure that eggs are actually dairy, but from what I understand, many folks have allergic reactions to them.

Have you read some of Laura's threads discussing her discovery of this type of reaction?

It sounds like maybe starting an elimination diet might help you discover, fwiw.

Hats off to you for looking more carefully at what you eat and drink. :)

Re: Making the Commitment to Stop Eating Dairy

Here is the link:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12266.0

Stone Age Scandinavians unable to digest milk

Stone Age Scandinavians unable to digest milk

The hunter-gatherers who inhabited the southern coast of Scandinavia 4,000 years ago were lactose intolerant. This has been shown by a new study carried out by researchers at Uppsala University and Stockholm University. The study, which has been published in the journal BMC Evolutionary Biology, supports the researchers' earlier conclusion that today's Scandinavians are not descended from the Stone Age people in question but from a group that arrived later.

"This group of hunter-gatherers differed significantly from modern Swedes in terms of the DNA sequence that we generally associate with a capacity to digest lactose into adulthood," says Anna Linderholm, formerly of the Archaeological Research Laboratory, Stockholm University, presently at University College Cork, Ireland.

According to the researchers, two possible explanations exist for the DNA differences.

"One possibility is that these differences are evidence of a powerful selection process, through which the Stone Age hunter-gatherers' genes were lost due to some significant advantage associated with the capacity to digest milk," says Anna Linderholm. "The other possibility is that we simply are not descended from this group of Stone Age people."

The capacity to consume unprocessed milk into adulthood is regarded as having been of great significance for human prehistory.

"This capacity is closely associated with the transition from hunter-gatherer to agricultural societies," says Anders Götherström of the Department of Evolutionary Biology at Uppsala University.

He serves as coordinator of LeCHE (Lactase persistence and the early Cultural History of Europe), an EU-funded research project focusing on the significance of milk for European prehistory.

"In the present case, we are inclined to believe that the findings are indicative of what we call "gene flow," in other words, migration to the region at some later time of some new group of people, with whom we are genetically similar," he says. "This accords with the results of previous studies."

The researchers' current work involves investigating the genetic makeup of the earliest agriculturalists in Scandinavia, with an eye to potential answers to questions about our ancestors.

###

For additional information, please contact: Anders Götherström: +46-18-471 64 83; e-mail: anders.gotherstrom@ebc.uu.se or Anna Linderholm: +353-87 24 33 570; e-mail: annalinderholm@hotmail.com

_http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-04/uu-sas040110.php

Raw milk update

This from Dr. Mercola:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/04/27/does-drinking-milk-cause-upperrespiratory-congestion.aspx said:
Avoid this Popular Beverage Until You Learn the Shocking Details

Conventional wisdom states that drinking milk causes an increase in phlegm. Scientists have generally dismissed the notion, though, since experiments do not seem to bear it out. In one study, researchers noted that even people who were inoculated with the common cold virus did not show any increase in symptoms when they drank milk.

But a new report suggests that those earlier studies suffered from a critical flaw: not all milk is the same.

Certain breeds of cows produce milk containing a protein called beta-CM-7. This protein can stimulate mucus glands in both your digestive- and respiratory tracts.

Milk containing the beta-CM-7 protein could therefore very well stimulate phlegm -- particularly in people who suffer from chronic lung conditions.

(Source New York Times; Medical Hypotheses)

Dr. Mercola's Comments:

First of all, please understand that I do not recommend drinking pasteurized milk of any kind – ever. Because once milk has been pasteurized it’s more or less “dead,” and offers little in terms of real nutritional value to anyone, whether you show signs of intolerance to the milk or not.

Valuable enzymes are destroyed, vitamins (such as A, C, B6 and B12) are diminished, fragile milk proteins are radically transformed from health nurturing to unnatural amino acid configurations that can actually worsen your health. Finally the eradication of beneficial bacteria through the pasteurization process actually ends up promoting pathogens.

The healthy alternative to pasteurized milk is raw milk, which is an outstanding source of nutrients including beneficial bacteria such as lactobacillus acidophilus, vitamins and enzymes, and it is, in my estimation, one of the finest sources of calcium available.

Raw milk is generally not associated with the health problems linked to pasteurized milk, and even people who have been allergic to pasteurized milk for many years can typically tolerate and even thrive on raw milk.

However, some people may still experience problems, such as upper respiratory congestion, when drinking raw milk, and the difference between the breeds of cows the milk comes from appears to hold the answer.

Different Cows = Different Milk

This is an issue you may never have heard of unless you’re familiar with the bovine industry, or have done a fair amount of research on milk. But there are actually distinct differences in the milk produced by various breeds of dairy cows.

So-called A1 cows are “newer” breeds that experienced a mutation of a particular amino acid some 5,000 years ago, whereas A2 cows are the older breeds that do not have this mutation.

As Thomas Cowan, MD, a founding board member of the Weston A. Price Foundation explains in his article Devil in the Milk, milk consists of three parts:

* Butterfat,
* Whey and
* Milk solids

The milk solids consist of a variety of proteins, lactose and other sugars. One of these proteins is called beta-casein, and this is the protein of interest when comparing A1 and A2 milk.

All proteins are long chains of amino acids. Beta casein is a chain of 229 amino acids. A2 cows produce this protein with a proline at number 67, whereas A1 cows have a mutated proline amino acid, which converts it to histidine.

The proline in A2 milk has a strong bond to another small protein called BCM 7, which helps keep it from being released.

Histidine (the mutated protein), on the other hand, only weakly holds on to BCM 7, so it is liberated in the GI tract of animals and humans who drink A1 cow milk. Now, BCM7 is a powerful opiate that can have a very detrimental impact on your body.

As discussed in the article above, it is likely the cause of increased phlegm production in your digestive- and respiratory tract, which can worsen upper respiratory problems.

This confirms previous findings, discussed in Keith Woodford’s book Devil in the Milk: Illness, Health and the Politics of A1 and A2 Milk.

In it he writes that BCM 7 selectively binds to the epithelial cells in mucus membranes and stimulates mucus secretion.

But that’s not all. BCM7 has also been implicated in other far more serious health problems, such as:

* Type 1 diabetes
* Neurological impairment, including autism and schizophrenia
* Impaired immune function
* Autoimmune disease
* Heart disease

For those of you who want to investigate this at greater depth, betacasein.net offers a comprehensive list of published scientific studies of the differences between A1 and A2 milk and their health ramifications.

You can also pick up a copy of Keith Woodford’s informative book, Devil in the Milk: Illness, Health and the Politics of A1 and A2 Milk.

The US Raises Mainly the “Wrong” Cows…

A1 cows include the black and white breeds like Holsteins and Friesians. Unfortunately, Holsteins are one of the most popular breeds in North America.

The older breeds, such as Jersey’s, Guernsey, Asian and African are primarily A2’s. Goats and sheep also produce the healthier A2 type milk.

“Our issue in America is that we have the wrong cows,” Dr. Cowan writes.

“When you take A1 cow milk away, and stimulate our own endorphins instead of the toxic opiate of BCM 7, some amazing health benefits ensue.

One saving grace, as expressed in The Devil in the Milk, is that the absorption of BCM 7 is much less in people with a healthy GI tract... BCM 7 is also not found in goat’s or sheep’s milk, so these types of milk might be better tolerated.

… We now have one more thing to put on our activism to-do list. Dr. Woodford explains that it is fairly straightforward to switch a herd to become an all A2 herd. No genetic engineering is needed, no fancy tests, just one simple test of the beta-casein and it can be done.

Hopefully, when this becomes widespread we will end up with a truly safe and healthy milk supply.”

Naturally, getting America’s dairy farmers to start switching breeds would require a massive campaign, but in the meantime, just being aware of this inherent difference between A1 and A2 milk can prove to be invaluable for many, especially if you have tried switching to raw milk and still experience problems with it.

You may simply be drinking milk from an A1 breed… Switching to milk from an A2 breed could make a significant difference.

This is also an important point for dairy farmers everywhere to at least consider, as A1 cattle may still not be producing the healthiest milk for human consumption, even when grass-fed.

How to Find Truly Healthy Milk

Depending on where you live, A2 milk may not be that hard to find. In fact, herds in much of Asia, Africa, and parts of Southern Europe still produce primarily A2 milk.

If you live in the United States, New Zealand, Australia or other areas of Europe, however, you’ll need to look a bit harder since the majority of cattle in these areas are A1 breeds.

As you know, I advocate getting your raw milk from a local dairy farmer that raises cattle organically, letting his livestock graze on fresh grasses. So to ensure the milk you’re getting is A2 milk -- the type that has not been associated with illness and instead appears to have numerous health benefits – you’d just have to ask what kind of breed he raises. (Remember, A2 breeds include Jersey, Guernsey, Asian and African cows.)

Buying retail (in those states where raw milk sale is legal) would require just a little more work, since you’d have to get the contact information of the milk supplier and then call or write them to find out what breeds are used.

Fortunately, grass-fed, raw milk almost always comes from small dairy farms that do not co-mingle their milk with milk from other farms, so this makes ensuring you’re buying A2 milk quite a bit easier.

You can start you search for raw milk retailers in the US by going to the RealMilk web site.

www.OrganicPastures.com also has a store locator for California.

(You can use the following hyperlinks to find out the legal status of raw milk in the U.S. state or country where you live.)

Yet another option is raw goat- and sheep’s milk, as neither of them contains the harmful BCM-7.

Related Links:

What Have They Done to Milk?

The Truth About Milk

From the above link:

Countless anecdotal reports exist from regular people around the world who have experienced the health benefits of drinking raw milk. Arthritis, Crohn’s disease, asthma, ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic ear infections and more often seem to clear up when raw milk enters the picture.

Yet, long before milk began being called “raw” or “pasteurized” -- back when milk was just milk -- there was something called “the milk cure,” and it was used by the Mayo Foundation, which today is known as the Mayo Clinic.

An article by Dr. J. R. Crewe of the Mayo Foundation on this very topic was published in Certified Milk Magazine in January 1929. You can read it in its entirety on the Real Milk Web site.

In it, Crewe quotes William Osler, author of a standard medical textbook of the day, who described “milk as being nothing more than white blood. Milk resembles blood closely and is a useful agent for improving and making new and better blood.”

The milk cure was a combination of a detoxifying fast and nutrient-dense feeding, which included milk “given at half hour intervals … totaling from five to ten quarts of milk a day.”

The treatment was used in many chronic conditions, but according to the article “chiefly in tuberculosis, diseases of the nervous system, cardiovascular and renal conditions, hypertension, and in patients who are underweight, run-down, etc. Striking results are seen in diseases of the heart and kidneys and high blood pressure.”

What did the doctors conclude?

“When sick people are limited to a diet containing an excess of vitamins and all the elements necessary to growth and maintenance, which are available in milk, they recover rapidly without the use of drugs and without bringing to bear all the complicated weapons of modern medicine.”

(Compare that to the 'miracle' cure of MMS)

The ''Experts'' Are Wrong About Raw Milk

From the above link:

Raw (unpasteurized) milk could reduce children's risk of suffering from conditions such as eczema and hay fever.

A new study investigating why children raised on farms have fewer allergies than those raised in cities has shown that just two glasses each week reduced a child's chances of developing eczema by almost 40 percent and hay fever by 10 percent.

Blood tests demonstrated that the raw milk more than halved the levels of immunoglobulin E (IgE), a chemical pumped out by cells in response to an allergen. IgE in turn causes the release of histamine, which causes allergy symptoms.

Raw milk is thought to contain bacteria that helps to prime your immune system. However, unpasteurized milk is also thought to be a source of potentially bad bacteria as well, so its sale has been banned in many countries. Some experts believe that the potential benefits of raw milk are still outweighed by the potential for food poisoning.
One in three children are currently affected by eczema, hay fever or asthma, as opposed to one in six 20 years ago. The number of people needing emergency hospital treatment for severe allergic reactions has tripled over the last 10 years.

and

The study referred to in the article above examined some 4,700 children in Shropshire, and found those who lived on farms suffered from dramatically fewer allergic symptoms than all the rest. After reviewing many obvious benefits -- breastfeeding and their proximity to nature -- raw milk turned out to be the best advantage out of them all.

Unfortunately, the rest of the article highlighted all the dangers of raw milk, primarily the chances of raw milk being infected with food poisoning bugs E. coli and campylobacter, which is probably why the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health is pushing for a ban on unpasteurized milk in the UK.

Nevertheless, the demand for raw milk (available only from farms or farmers' markets) is growing, accounting for 1 percent of total milk sales in Wales and England.

Pasteurization's great claim to popularity is the widespread belief that it contains fewer germs. For example, pasteurization's supporters allege that tuberculosis in children is caused by the harmful germs found in raw milk.

Dirty milk, of course, is like any other form of impure food -- a definite menace. But Certified Grade A Milk, produced under government supervision and guaranteed absolutely clean, is available practically all over the country and is the dairy farmer's answer to the pasteurization zealots.

Recent figures published regarding the spread of tuberculosis by milk show, among other facts, that over a period of five years, during which time 70 children belonging to a special organization received a pint of raw milk daily, only one case of the disease occurred. During a similar period when pasteurized milk had been given, 14 cases were reported.

I received the link to Dr. Mercola's article from the farmer I have a herd-share with. He states: "We have been selecting AI bulls with the A2 gene for several years. Also, the breeds we have in our herd are predominantly A2 to start with."

On one of my previous visits when the farmer's wife was waxing long on various topics, it came up that when her husband first got into the dairy business, he attempted to do so according to conventional wisdom. It didn't take long for him to figure out that something was very wrong. For one thing, the feed that most cattle is raised on does indeed fatten them up as well as their fetuses. The farmer was having his cows die from trying to birth calves that were way too big. The same is sometimes experienced by their chickens - the eggs are too large to come out. Imagine what an excruciatingly painful death that must be for those animals.

I got through the whole winter with only a very mild cold that didn't last long. In the past, any cold I got lasted minimum 2 weeks. I've never had the flu. And despite drinking raw milk daily, I'm also not gaining weight, but losing, although unevenly as I'm still succumbing to store bought ice cream and chocolate anything. I have cut out drinking tap water, tea, koolaid and besides the raw milk, drink only spring water with lemon juice. I'm getting results with the candida from that.

Another person with a herd-share informed the farmer that Tropical Traditions (sells coconut products) is looking for farmers to raise their chickens with no soy in the feed which exists now. (Soy is in just about everything - even my hair mousse contains it!) She is an independent distributor for Xocai, the healthy chocolate (_ShareChoc.com). She's given me samples and it's good but hardly sweet at all. I think she told me it doesn't have soy lecithin. She has metabolic issues and she's done lots of research to find answers to her problems. She's been tested and since moving to Ohio, now has high levels of arsenic and aluminum that she didn't have before. Her doctor blames canned tuna, but she was eating canned tuna in Michigan without these levels of metals in her system. Result of pollution from burning coal I guess. And yes, I'm aware that all fish has been shown to have mercury - another food source compromised.

The expense of buying food that's healthy is the biggest impediment to me even though I tell myself it's cheaper than doctors, drugs, and hospitals. The sticker shock still gives me great pause.

Re: Raw milk update

Hi Jeep,

It's my current understanding that all dairy (with maybe the exception of butter/ghee) should be avoided. Also just wanted to remind you of this thread.

edit: clarification and addition

Psyche said:
Mercola wrote an article recently, putting the theme about calcium, milk and raw milk into perspective. He doesn't touches the subject of allergies to the milk proteins though.
The Milk Myth: What Your Body Really Needs

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/18/The-Milk-Myth-What-Your-Body-Really-Needs.aspx

A recent study claims that young adults are not drinking enough milk -- at least according to press reports on the matter. But according to the study’s lead author Nicole Larson, the focus on the study was on calcium.

The words "milk" and "calcium" are often used interchangeably in the popular press. But while milk is a calcium source, no standard other than that of the National Dairy Council considers it the best calcium source.

The suggestion that you need to drink three glasses of the secretion of a cow's mammary glands in order to be healthy is a bit outrageous and doesn't fit the human evolutionary profile. In fact, most humans around the world cannot easily digest cow milk.

Yogurt has more calcium than milk and is easier to digest. Collards and other greens also have about as much or more calcium than milk by the cup. Greens, unlike milk, have the added benefit of vitamin K, also necessary for strong bones. Sesame is also very high in calcium.

When you measure calcium by cup of food product, milk is high on the list. When you view it by calorie, though, milk is at the bottom. A hundred calories of turnip greens have over three times as much calcium as 100 calories of whole milk.

Sources:

Live Science June 24, 2009

Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior July/August 2009; 41(4):254-60

Dr. Mercola''s Comments Dr. Mercola's Comments:

The idea that you have to drink milk for strong bones is deeply ingrained – the result of very successful PR by the commercial dairy industry. But what most people do not realize is that pasteurized milk has little to do with strong bones, or good health, for that matter.

In fact, pasteurized milk has no important health benefits at all, and I do not recommend it to anyone.

As stated in the article above, calcium is the issue being investigated, not necessarily the consumption of (pasteurized) milk. The study in question found that during the transition to young adulthood, the daily intake of calcium decreased an average of 153 mg for high school girls, and 194 mg for boys.

Interestingly, time spent watching television was one factor associated with lower calcium intake, whereas an attitude toward a healthy lifestyle was cited as being associated with higher calcium intake. Which makes sense, regardless of the milk issue, since eating vegetables is one of the best ways to ensure you’re getting sufficient amounts of calcium, and is part and parcel of a healthy lifestyle.

The Vast Difference Between “Milk” and Raw Milk as a Source of Calcium

Whenever people talk about “milk” they automatically refer to pasteurized milk, which is the only variety you can find in every grocery store in the U.S. However, the drawbacks of drinking pasteurized milk are so many they overshadow any potential benefit from the calcium it contains.

And, in fact, there’s serious doubt about the calcium in pasteurized milk because one of the worst side effects of pasteurization is that it renders much of the calcium contained in raw milk insoluble… This can lead to rickets, bad teeth, and nervous troubles, for sufficient calcium content is vital to children. Additionally, with the loss of phosphorus also associated with calcium, bone and brain formation can suffer serious setbacks.

Pasteurization also destroys part of the vitamin C contained in raw milk, and encourages growth of harmful bacteria.

Worst of all, however, dairy products from cows treated with Monsanto‘s genetically engineered bovine growth hormone (rBGH or rBST) could sharply increase your risk of cancer and other diseases, especially in children.

These detrimental side effects are not associated with drinking RAW milk, however.

In fact, raw milk is an excellent source of not only calcium but also a number of other nutrients such as vitamins, enzymes, and beneficial bacteria like lactobacillus acidophilus.

One other significant issue may actually be the species of cow that the milk is taken from. Milk from older cows, Jerseys, Asian and African cows may not cause problems, while milk from new cows like Holsteins, which has a mutation on one of the amino acids of casein, causes many people to not tolerate it well.

Do You Really Need Calcium for Strong Bones?

This long-held belief may not be as accurate as you’d like to think. Numerous studies have found NO association between high calcium intake and lower fracture risk. As is often the case, modern science may have picked apart and simplified the issue too much.

As Dr. Robert Thompson M.D. describes in his excellent book The Calcium Lie, your bone is composed of at least a dozen minerals, and if you focus exclusively on calcium supplementation you are likely going to worsen your bone density, and can actually increase your risk of osteoporosis.

Dr. Thompson believes that the overconsumption of calcium in the goal of preventing osteoporosis creates other mineral deficiencies and imbalances that will also increase your risk of:

* Heart disease
* Kidney stones
* Gallstones
* Osteoarthritis
* Hypothyroidism
* Obesity
* Type 2 diabetes

A Surprising Alternative to Calcium for Bone Health

Interestingly, he proposes that one of the best practical alternatives is the use of naturally occurring ionic mineral supplements. He believes that almost everyone needs trace minerals, not just calcium, because you simply cannot get all the nutrients you need through food grown in mineral depleted soils.

According to Dr. Thompson, unprocessed salts are one of the best sources of these ionic trace minerals that are so vital for strong bones (as well as numerous other biological functions).

I have long been a fan of high quality salt, and Himalayan salt is, I believe, one of the healthiest salts on the planet. It contains vitally important trace minerals that are very difficult to get in your food due to the challenges of modern agricultural practices.

The Healthy Bone Diet – Going Beyond Milk

Even if you don’t have access to raw milk or other raw dairy products, and have the good sense to avoid pasteurized milk, there are plenty of dietary options to ensure you’re getting enough calcium in your diet.

But first, it’s important to understand that processed foods will produce biochemical and metabolic conditions in your body that will decrease your bone density, so avoiding processed foods is the first step in the right direction.

Additionally, eating high quality, organic, biodynamic, locally-grown food will naturally increase your bone density and decrease your risk of developing osteoporosis.

Aside from that, specific foods that are high in calcium include:

* Fresh, dark-green vegetables like spinach, kale, turnips, and collard greens
* Dry beans
* Sesame seeds and almonds
* Wild salmon and sardines
* Rhubarb
* Okra
For a more comprehensive list of calcium-rich foods and the amounts of calcium per serving can be found on the International Osteoporosis Foundation’s web site.

Another food worthy of mention is onions. They’re high in gamma-glutamyl peptides that have also been shown to increase bone density.

Beware of Conventional Calcium Recommendations

Some conventionally trusted sources such as WebMD suggest eating fortified breads and cereals, soy beans, and fortified soy milk.

Please don’t…

Grains and soy have numerous health risks, which I’ve discussed in depth in many previous articles. But in addition to all the other negative health effects of grains, gluten has specifically been shown to decrease bone density, so eating lots of breads and cereals is not in your best interest despite being fortified with calcium.

Will a High Protein Diet Destroy Calcium?

There’s a common concern that eating a high protein diet will secrete calcium into your urine. But the truth of the matter is that more people are now eating low-protein diets, and your body needs protein, because amino acids are part of the bone matrix.

If you don’t consume enough of specific amino acids your body can’t form strong, dense bones. So you DO want to make sure you eat plenty of high quality protein like free-range eggs and grass-fed meats.

Additional Components Vital for Bone Density

Healthy fats -- Along with your basic food selections, your omega 3 intake and the ratio between omega 3 to omega 6 has a lot to do with building healthy bone. Unfortunately, even many nutritionists are unaware of the important relationship between healthy bones and optimal fat intake.

Most everyone needs to take a high quality, animal-based omega 3 fat as it is very deficient in most people’s diet. I recommend krill oil, as I believe it’s a superior source of omega 3’s.

And, to further balance out your omega 3 and omega 6 ratio, you’ll want to reduce the amount of processed vegetable oils you consume. Oils like corn oil, safflower- and soy oil are loaded with omega 6’s. I also recommend avoiding canola oil for other reasons.

Sunshine -- Vitamin D is also important for calcium absorption, so along with your raw milk and vegetables, make sure that you are getting plenty of safe sun exposure this summer. Getting your levels up to about 60 ng/ml will help you optimize your bone density.

Exercise -- You should also remember that, just as exercise and diet work in tandem to beat obesity, the same can be said for osteoporosis. Strengthening bone mass through weight-bearing exercise, especially during puberty, can build a good foundation that can last a lifetime. In fact, there is a stronger connection between exercise and improved bone density among teens than taking calcium!

This is because bone-building is a dynamic process, and by exerting force on your bones through exercise such as strength training, you stimulate new, healthy bone growth.
Related Links:

Everything You Thought You Knew About Calcium Supplementation Could Be Wrong

The Best Way to Get Enough Calcium

Don't Drink Your Milk!

In the article I posted, Dr. Mercola discusses the subject of allergies and the milk proteins, hence Raw Milk Update. It's my understanding that Dr. Mercola is a reliable source of scientific research and data in order to make an informed decision regarding food choices. The raw milk I'm drinking is high in omega 3, which from what I've read on the forum and elsewhere, most people are deficient in, getting a disproportional amount of omega 6. Brown rice, although not as bad as wheat, has harmful lectins, and I believe I read that all the almonds in the US are now subjected to superheat pasteurization which I would think nullifies much of their nutritional value. It would seem making "milk" from either of these sources has its drawbacks as well.

Both my husband and my daughter had severe colds that lasted a long time this past winter. I'm the only one drinking the raw milk and the only one who didn't suffer a severe cold.

JEEP said:
In the article I posted, Dr. Mercola discusses the subject of allergies and the milk proteins, hence Raw Milk Update. It's my understanding that Dr. Mercola is a reliable source of scientific research and data in order to make an informed decision regarding food choices. The raw milk I'm drinking is high in omega 3, which from what I've read on the forum and elsewhere, most people are deficient in, getting a disproportional amount of omega 6. Brown rice, although not as bad as wheat, has harmful lectins, and I believe I read that all the almonds in the US are now subjected to superheat pasteurization which I would think nullifies much of their nutritional value. It would seem making "milk" from either of these sources has its drawbacks as well.

Both my husband and my daughter had severe colds that lasted a long time this past winter. I'm the only one drinking the raw milk and the only one who didn't suffer a severe cold.

JEEP - please do not use this forum, once again, to get into a lengthy defense of raw milk. You've already made your position clear, a position which is not agreed with by this forum. Cow milk is not healthy to consume - this has been gone into already at great length on the forum in your previous discussions on it. Continuing to push this point amounts to spamming.

For reference, the previous discussions took place in these threads:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=17019.msg152111#msg152111

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=12840.msg92553#msg92553

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=443.msg116229#msg116229

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10269.msg99070#msg99070

For all concerned with the use of raw milk (grass-fed cow) it might be worth considering the major effort of the FDA to eradicate it. The latest from the Farm To Consumer Defense folks is:

THE RAID
On April 20, two FDA agents, two federal marshals and one state trooper descended on the Kinzer, Pennsylvania farm (Rainbow Acres) of Dan Allgyer to execute an administrative search warrant against Allgyer's premises. The group set foot on the farm at 5 a.m. to conduct the inspection even though the warrant called for the inspection to take place "at reasonable times during reasonable business hours." The warrant allowed the FDA agents to inspect "all portions of Rainbow Acres facility (except for the private residence located therein) and all things therein, including all equipment, finished and unfinished materials, containers and labeling therein." The warrant also called for the "use of reasonable force" to gain entry to any area the agents were authorized to search.
Later that day after the agents reported their findings to officials at FDA's Philadelphia district office, Philadelphia District Director Kirk Sooter sent Allgyer a warning letter stating that FDA had determined that "you are causing to be delivered into interstate commerce, selling or otherwise distributing raw milk in final package form for human consumption, such distribution is a violation of the Public Health Service (PHS) Act, Title 42 United States Code, Section 264(a), and the implementing regulation codified in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Section 1240.61(a)."

The FDA has been brutal on the issue and is firmly committed to the destruction of this food. Considering the historical hand that the FDA has had in the suppression of so much good work/science/methods/products/etc, imo, it is worth close examination of the raw milk issues. There are many folk, old and young, that have benefited greatly from raw milk associated with healthy grass-fed cows.

Just my thoughts ...

JEEP said:
The expense of buying food that's healthy is the biggest impediment to me even though I tell myself it's cheaper than doctors, drugs, and hospitals. The sticker shock still gives me great pause.

JEEP,

If you're having problems paying for overpriced raw milk, why not try cutting out of your diet? It seems that there is more than enough evidence to justify eliminating milk altogether.

FWIW, I used to own a goat milk share at a local farm nearby. I've since given this up due to the expense and hassle incurred in purchasing milk this way. Plus, I can't really think of a good reason to drink milk or to continue giving it to my children. Raw milk from any animal is expensive because farmers essentially have to sell it on the black market instead of having regular economic channels to distribute their product, OSIT.

My comment about the expense of healthy food was actually in regards to acquiring organic grass fed meat, organic eggs from free-range chickens not being fed soy, organic coconut oil and coconut flour and other products from Tropical Traditions which has really made the case of their superior products, alternate food items like organic grape seed oil, purchasing reverse osmosis filters to no longer bathe in or consume fluoridated water, purchasing spring water until filters can be bought which may never happen as it looks like maintaining two households is again in my future, etc., not to mention the cost of the many supplements that have been recommended on the forum. There's very little in the conventional grocery store that is actually healthy in any way. Buying organic and/or specialty products is always more expensive than the norm.

Consider the subject of raw milk closed as requested.

LQB said:
For all concerned with the use of raw milk (grass-fed cow) it might be worth considering the major effort of the FDA to eradicate it. The latest from the Farm To Consumer Defense folks is:
The FDA has been brutal on the issue and is firmly committed to the destruction of this food. Considering the historical hand that the FDA has had in the suppression of so much good work/science/methods/products/etc, imo, it is worth close examination of the raw milk issues. There are many folk, old and young, that have benefited greatly from raw milk associated with healthy grass-fed cows.

Just my thoughts ...

LQB, I understand the point you are trying to make, however it's inapplicable here. The simple and documented fact of the matter is that, with very, very rare exceptions, the human body does much better without dairy of any kind. It is less inflamed, less phlegm producing, less diseased and simply functions better all around without the ingestion of dairy. If you've not read the threads referenced earlier, please do so, since it might help you understand the basic point which is - getting completely off dairy will benefit human health.

Back
Top Bottom