mIRC channel(join if you like)

CarpeDiem, in no way I intended to attack you. I just sensed that questioning you about those things might result in a RESPONSE, which could be interesting for you to discover. It turned out my sense wasn't deceiving me. We are all questioned here, from time to time, in a direct manner, for reasons which should be already obvious to you, since you are a member with a lot of experience under your belt, so I think you already know why I asked.

What difference does your answer make for my work? In part, I already answered it in my previous post - I simply saw something in your post which reminded me of my own inner workings and was wondering if I am right. I was trying to calibrate my reading instrument.

Now, do my reasons are valid enough for you?

Well I can say that the thought of a chatroom, or even a private instant-messenger chat has crossed my mind before. I mean, many members do allow themselves to be emailed privately, so it can be as simple as emailing someone and asking about instant messenger, but, it's not as simple as it might seem. I've never really talked to anyone in email from this forum except on a very rare and brief occasion, and to be completely honest, I've never really given much thought as to why or why not, I just haven't. But thinking about it now, there are a lot of reason why a group atmosphere oriented towards objectivity and networking, that contains people that have been actively doing the Work for years and years, cannot be replaced. If I am going to discuss concepts of the Work with somebody, it is easy to disagree or lead to a false conclusion because we can both be ignorant of something. And if I have a question about the work, I wouldn't want to say "Oh I have this guy/gal's IM screen-name, why waste the forum's time when I can just talk to them real quick and sort it out?". Cuz this is bad, as now I'm avoiding a broad and objective/critical network in favor of a biased 2-person analysis. And most likel both of us are not anywhere close to where Laura and others are, and any conclusion we come to can be distorted, biased, or totally wrong. So the above example is one good reason why I wouldn't want to end up replacing this forum with private conversations, which can end up in both of us going astray due to our mutual ignorance.

This is why this network exists.

That, plus, I wouldn't want to accidentally befriend an agent either. After the whole deal with EsoQuest I'm pretty paranoid about who is who - after all this IS an anonymous internet forum, regardless of the fact that many of us have the same screen name and avatar for years which could create a false sense of familiarity and even create an attachment/affinity for the person. In the end, we have no clue who is on the other side. EsoQuest was around for a long time, and turned out to be a sexual predator. Shocked the hell out of almost everybody. So as much as I've interacted with many members for years, some of them in casschat too, I just don't know. I can most likely trust mods and admins, but we can't just all add the mods to our IM buddy lists either, I'm sure Anart would just LOVE to have a couple thousand new buddies on her AIM buddy list (assuming she uses any IM). That, and, mod or not, one person is still much more biased than the network together, regardless of who it is.

In closing, as much as I love this group and this forum, you're my home away from home, and as much as I've grown attached to many members that I've interacted with for a long time now, I don't think I can trust myself to not lead you guys astray without the constant supervision of the entire network. Really, it's not you, it's me. I don't trust myself not to accidentally/ignorantly give bad advice. I can trust that if I do this HERE, somebody will correct me. But in private, well, no. I don't trust you to give me sound advice without, again, critical analysis of the whole network. And finally, I don't trust you guys not to end up going psycho on me, causing me to go through years of counseling and hypnotherapy to get it out of my system. And similarly, I can't prove to anybody that I am not a psychopath or an agent, and it would be a pretty dumb thing to do if anybody assumed that I am not. *pinky to side of mouth* Muaha. Muahahahaha. Muahahahahahahahahaha. Muahahahahaha.. Muahaha... hah.. erm.

So that basically rules out any discussion of esoteric concepts. That leaves idle banter, chatter, empty socializing, talking about movies and stuff. Great, that's what your sleeping real life friends are for anyway. K I think that settled that question pretty convincingly for me lol

Brief interval from study and work surely isn't at all that bad to relax or may be just to change activity. Our families and friends, friends for many years that are outside of forum, but whom we know for extended periods of time also do need care, attention and time. To me personally my little child, who constantly more than everything in the world needs love and attention and care pretty much rules out any thoughts about loneliness which arise, instantly.
I mean there can be a lot of socializing (including simply keeping ourselves physically in form, enjoying some active sport or attending ballroom sessions, etc. ) outside of this forum too. Idea of knowing better sott forumites is attractive, but as i wrote before, it may put an incredible additional burden on moderators if any of them is to agree to monitor 'sott chat'.
As for myself, i would like very much an idea of 'lurking' and reading messages on french forum to pick up at least very little 'live' french. Or maybe joining french courses in my town.

CD said:
As for myself, i would like very much an idea of 'lurking' and reading messages on french forum to pick up at least very little 'live' french. Or maybe joining french courses in my town.
The new French forum is here http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/signs/fr/forum/index.php in case anyone missed the other thread about it.

I'm trying to visit when I can, to learn a tiny bit of French, but, I must admit that at this point I only pick up the general 'gist' now and again. It is still fun, though. =)

Carpe diem said:
anart said:
I'm trying to visit when I can, to learn a tiny bit of French, but, I must admit that at this point I only pick up the general 'gist' now and again. It is still fun, though. =)
You are all welcome.

A lot easier for me to write in french.

I had a look, and oh dear, it was difficult to understand! like anart, I could sometimes pick up the gist, but only if I really stared at it, and only on the basics, like the 'forum rules'. I've just not had ANY practice with French since school (when I was rubbish at it anyway).

I think I will look in regularly, and see if it helps to improve my French reading skills :)

sleepyvinny said:
I had a look, and oh dear, it was difficult to understand! like anart, I could sometimes pick up the gist, but only if I really stared at it, and only on the basics, like the 'forum rules'. I've just not had ANY practice with French since school (when I was rubbish at it anyway).

I think I will look in regularly, and see if it helps to improve my French reading skills :)
And if you write, you will be able to improve your writing.

Great opportunity to practise. ;)

Namaste said:
And if you write, you will be able to improve your writing.

Great opportunity to practise.
That's exactly the way i was thinking about it. To think about it in conditional tense like 'i would like' to pick up some french, (very little), is exactly a world apart from actually having just a bit of 'stupid' courage to come in there and say: like, Hey, i know that i know close to nothing ito communicate with Francophones, but i start just lettle by little to write may be stupid one-liners at first; but if we just persist without forcing ourselves, like doing it for fun, i am quite sure that in like 6 months there will be a difference, so even Sarco will be forced to 'get' your message if you happento pass near him
thanks, guys, a lot for invitation, good you do not despise our French skills!!
joining as Bibigot. That guy on my avatar, his name is really Bibigot, from the kid's poem by Chukovsky, a book that i picked up for my kid, he is busy fighting fat and frightening hen and other big 'monsters' from farm.

CarpeDiem said:
thanks, guys, a lot for invitation, good you do not despise our French skills!!
joining as Bibigot. That guy on my avatar, his name is really Bibigot, from the kid's poem by Chukovsky, a book that i picked up for my kid, he is busy fighting fat and frightening hen and other big 'monsters' from farm.
May i say that as for the english forum, everyone is welcome and we do not despise the french skills as the english forum do not despise the english skills. On the contrary, i have noticed that the english native people are very understanding with the non english speaker. ;)

What is important for the french forum as for the english forum is the respect of the Rules.

May i suggest to introduce yourself even briefly on the french forum.

Back
Top Bottom