Motorcycle riding

Katie Jo said:
Bruce said:
Since you watched Mondo Enduro, you might be interested in viewing "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down". These documentaries follow actors Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman on motorcycle trips around the world and from Scotland to South Africa.
Hey thanks Bruce - I've heard of these titles, lots and lots of times, especially right after I got my endorsement. I think there are also memoirs written as well. Perfect fuel for the adventurous bike enthusiast. Mondo Enduro is surprisingly hard to get your hands on without paying a pretty penny for a copy, however, these docs you recommended might suffice for anyone interested in a "day-in-the-life" perspective. As for me, the romance of traveling continents on bike for funzies is long gone. It's just not practical, and I think risky business.
My pleasure. You're right, there are companion books written for both series. Travel in general is becoming a risky business but I enjoy watching films like these that give an idea of what other places in the world are like. Actually, I just thought of another show I saw that was on the Travel channel in the U.K. with Henry Cole called "The World's Greatest Motorcycle Rides``. The show had him driving through quite a few countries.

https://youtu.be/SEhlm4pvduU

Thanks everyone for the tips. I've been wanting to take the motorcycle safety course and get my license. I used to ride with my friend as a passenger when I was younger and enjoyed it as well. I don't know if I will get a motorcycle but like to be able to know how to drive one. Perhaps someday. Bad thing about Canada is you can only really ride 3 to maybe 6 months max, rest of the time it's just too cold.

If you decide to ride, take Ben's advice, get the brightest color clothes you can find. Don't care how ridiculous you may look. It looks more ridiculous when you're dead. I had seven Hondas, loved them all, never had a mechanical problem with any, and rode to work daily. What made me stop was reading of the THIRD left-turn accident at the end of my rural road in Felton, CA. I did not want to be the forth. People always say "I didn't see him". Well, when you are on your cell or half asleep, you don't see too well. Good luck. You're gonna need it.

Just an FYI of some of the incredibly cruel things that can happen: A man apparently swerves into a motorcycle trying to pass. Ya the guy on the bike was in the wrong for passing in a no passing zone, nevertheless what the guy in the car did by swerving into the bike riders is shocking:

__http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charges-possible-after-texas-driver-seen-on-video-swerving-into-motorcycle/

m said:
Just an FYI of some of the incredibly cruel things that can happen: A man apparently swerves into a motorcycle trying to pass. Ya the guy on the bike was in the wrong for passing in a no passing zone, nevertheless what the guy in the car did by swerving into the bike riders is shocking:

__http://www.cbsnews.com/news/charges-possible-after-texas-driver-seen-on-video-swerving-into-motorcycle/

That's just insane! :scared: That guy should be strung up on attempted manslaughter charges or something. He's upset the bike is passing him (which is really none of his concern) but then crosses the double yellow line himself to push the bike off the road and claims he got bit by a wasp?! Where's the bite mark? Good thing they got it all on camera and I hope that girl is going to be alright.

That aside, your very right. There are all kinds of insane people driving on the roads nowadays and you just have to be sooo careful! Most people like this shouldn't even have a license imo.

I had a boyfriend and he was simply mad about motorcycle riding. I never actually like it and i had been very afraid of riding behind but when you stop being afraid you ll start loving it. Just as happened to me..

I'm going to travel around europe next summer, getting a bike has been the best thing I've done. I will never leave it, the community is amazing and the feeling of riding a motorcycle cannot be expressed in words. Only those who ride knows.

I got approved safety gear, black gear but with white lines so people can see you during the night since it's reflects back. When it comes to the visual part. I'd say that, u can wear what color u'd like. even the brightest most obvious color can't save you from the fact that someone might not see you and hit. A big part of driving a motorcycle is to be aware of how you drive, change your position from left to right, make sure that the driver can see you in the mirrors etc. Riding a bike is dangerous, you will pay the price of another persons mistake, a broken leg or even worse.

My best advice to you is this:
Every year, preferable when the season is starting, head to one of those courses which your local motorcycle association offer. It's worth it.
Buy safety gear that you will USE. Maybe 1 setup for colder days and 1 for warmer. Make sure u enjoy them because otherwise u might skip it one day. It's very easy to think "it's too hot, I skip my back protection"
Never drive outside your comfortable zone, don't follow for peer pressure etc.
Train on driving on different roads, water, gravel, break tests etc. learn your motorcycle and trust it.

Sorry for bumping an old post :) loves

livingdream said:
I'm going to travel around europe next summer, getting a bike has been the best thing I've done. I will never leave it, the community is amazing and the feeling of riding a motorcycle cannot be expressed in words. Only those who ride knows.

It's been a long time since I rode a motorcycle, but I know what you mean. It's like the difference between recognizing your immersion in your environment and being Ok with it, and being shut off from it in an air-tight car compartment with artificial air that tells you more about your freon levels than your environment, including atmospheric changes going on around you. :)

Assuming you make your own machine adjustments during your rides, don't forget that small pouch of quality tools and maybe a few well-made replacement screws!

It's been a long time since I rode a motorcycle, but I know what you mean. It's like the difference between recognizing your immersion in your environment and being Ok with it, and being shut off from it in an air-tight car compartment with artificial air that tells you more about your freon levels than your environment, including atmospheric changes going on around you. :)

Assuming you make your own machine adjustments during your rides, don't forget that small pouch of quality tools and maybe a few well-made replacement screws!

Good summary! Yes it's a feeling of being free. Also you pay attention in the present. You can taste life.
Thanks for the information as well. I will bring with me tools and also get an insurance that can help me if something breaks down in any country. It might cost some extra money but totally worth it.

Back
Top Bottom