Movies that you'll never watch or watch again

I read the reviews for, "Hereditary," and would not watch it. I was 1st intrigued by it because I like the actress Toni Collette. The early reviews by viewers, gave the same reasoning as members here; it was too disturbing and they were sorry they watched it. I read that that Toni Collette would not watch it either.

I cannot watch modern horror movies with excessive gore...Heck I can't watch any graphic violence and will turn away and cover my ears...I've always been that way. And I can't believe what images ppl are putting in their minds! Once there, it's there forever.

I will watch something with fine acting and a good plot, but the thing with modern movies is that the line between good and evil has become vague and evil wins many times.

I grew up enjoying gothic horror stories in books and movies. One of my favorite horror movies is the black and white 1963 film, based on Shirley Jackson's book, "The Haunting of Hill House." It scared the heck out of me as a kid and I still enjoy watching it. You youngins can watch it here and see for yourself a good psychological horror story:
👻👻👻👻

Some other movies that really bothered me and I won't watch again were:
"American Psycho"

"Silence of the Lambs":
This was one of the few movies I went to see in the theater, before reading the book. I have to say that it is the only movie, I've ever seen that followed the book to a T, except for one technicality.

The thing that bothered me about, "Silence of the Lambs," was the audience's reaction, at the end of the movie. Hannibal got away and the everyone cheered! I said to my boyfriend, "First time I ever saw people cheering for a psychopathic murderer." And it's been downhill ever since, where psychopaths are the main characters and the attempt is to make them likeable, in film and tv shows.

For me, a good candidate would be "No Country for Old Men". Havier Bardem does a decent job of playing the relentless psychopath, (a little too good). The movie, by the Cohen Brothers, is professional and well done. I think I got the main points of the movie, but I don't think I will watch it again because it is so grim, and true.

The last scene in the movie is worth watching. Kinda profound.

Someone behind the movie, "The Astronaut's Wife," also liked, "Rosemary's Baby." It was about alien possession, and John Cassavetes' son played one of the astronauts who also brought a rider back with them from space.
Oh, I will look for this movie. I like movies with ET.

About “The Exorcist” : very hard movie, very violent also and with some disgusting gore scenes. What is very disturbing, apart the presence of the Devil, is that during all the movie we see a little girl suffering. It was also that one of the negative critic about the movie. Not just her is suffering, but all the characters in the movie and also the spectator. But during all the movie, the little girl is tortured. And this is very very disturbing, under my humble point of vue.

Apart from that, this film is maybe the number one horror movie that I ever saw.

For me, a good candidate would be "No Country for Old Men". Havier Bardem does a decent job of playing the relentless psychopath, (a little too good). The movie, by the Cohen Brothers, is professional and well done. I think I got the main points of the movie, but I don't think I will watch it again because it is so grim, and true.

The last scene in the movie is worth watching. Kinda profound.
Yes, a very good movie. Once in a while I look to the beginning of the movie, when the gentle guy finds the money. I love the tempo of the movie, the colors, the suspense. But yes, I do not want to follow again the psychopath. No way even if Bardem is doing a great job. No pun intended!

There is something to the choices of movies to watch and how they my affect our psychic hygiene so one has to be careful about that.
I agree totally. The more I am older, the more I think we have to be careful what we watch as movies are also a tool for propaganda and brainwashing, with subliminal messages and some are made just to make people suffer.

However, as I said the other day, you can watch a film and look at it with space, see it as a technical work and judge it from that. But even at that, you have to be careful. I think so.

There is a movie that I refuse to see again, not because it is horror in the sense of the word, but some movies for me are forbidden, and I still don't know why. One of those movies is “Don't look now”. The short story by Daphne du Maurier is excellent, by the way. And I can read it again, it is so well-made as a short story. The movie is also very good and talks about a strange subject, the contact with spirits.

There’s a place for violence in movies. It’s just the world we live in. I always thought Clint Eastwood did a good job of depicting some of the truths of our reality. Unlike some people his movies got better as he aged. Always liked The Outlaw Josey Wales, it’s got a good story and he was able to capture things that other directors just can’t.

It’s gonna get hard. Best to get fearless once that happens.

I can think of two movies that have little re-watch-ability since the endings spoil the mystery.
Predestination
The Game

'Love Actually.' I tried watching this movie again this past Christmas. When it originally came out I didn't like the little I saw of it, but this past Christmas I thought I'd give it another try because I never watched the whole thing..still didn't like it. I did find a humorous review of the movie by Cinema Therapy on YouTube.
Another: 'Kill Bill.' A lot of gratuitous violence.

Another good movie of terror is "Cape Fear" by Martin Scorsese. It is so well donned, but I am a fan of the movies of Scorsese. They say it is a thriller, but for me, it is a terror situation that live the characters of the story. I try to see the movie lately, but I have to stop. Are you like me that sometimes in your life, some days, to see a stressful movie it is too much? So It is for me with this good movie but terroristic story.

Excellent, really excellent direction and excellent actors, many. But this one I am even unable to see it with detachment. Too much!

Are you like me that sometimes in your life, some days, to see a stressful movie it is too much? So It is for me with this good movie but terroristic story.
Cape Fear is a terrific movie...I like the original too. And to answer your question, yes I can be overwhelmed by movies...Not always the stress from terror or horror though. I haven't gone to a proper movie theater in years because of phyical responses I have, but it happens at home movies, also. They are too loud. Too over the top in special effects. Rapid camera shots can overwhelm me too.

Last movie I saw in the theater was one Lord of the Rings...the battle scene was so dark (light wise) so loud, so BIG on the screen and so violent that I couldn't breathe!

The Night of the Hunter (1955) I think. I've probably seen it only once, when it came from tv in the 80's. At some point I had it on a vhs-tape, but never managed to watch it again.

Back
Top Bottom