My bass journey

Not to intimidate you @Hello H2O but just to share my appreciation for bass players I have been amazed at the value of the bass part in music.

Here is an amazing young woman who is more jazz oriented but keeps it solid on the bass line:

Not to intimidate you @Hello H2O but just to share my appreciation for bass players I have been amazed at the value of the bass part in music.

Here is an amazing young woman who is more jazz oriented but keeps it solid on the bass line:

Love this one, master class, also her hand, the lenght of her finger is perfect for such class player

Yeah I have seen her pop up with some very good players. Haven't seen her play any straight ahead jazz though...mostly funk and fusion.

Very impressive all that you have accomplished on bass in such a relatively short time. Were you playing another instrument before taking up bass? I might have scanned some of the posts too quickly in this thread but I didn't really understand how and or why you would have studied theory before picking up bass? Or perhaps you meant that you had studied theory harmony since beginning your bass studies? I have been playing piano most of my life but I play some bass for fun every now and again ... I did a brief stint in my college jazz band before going back to piano. This has been a fun thread for me ... although a bit dangerous in that I don't need to rekindle my love of bass and learning an instrument such that I spread my creative energies even thinner. I have enough to practice on Piano, guitar, voice and my #1 love ... song writing ... so keep posting and I'll enjoy your progress and live vicariously through you:-)

It is hard though, to hit the start button and play when the song starts so fast... :wow:

Not sure if your recorder supports this feature but a lot of Tascam recorders have a jack that you can plug in an on/off foot pedal so that you can can start and stop the recording process with your foot.

Very impressive all that you have accomplished on bass in such a relatively short time. Were you playing another instrument before taking up bass?

Yes, I have played the drums since a teenager. Had quite a few years that I didn't play though.
I might have scanned some of the posts too quickly in this thread but I didn't really understand how and or why you would have studied theory before picking up bass? Or perhaps you meant that you had studied theory harmony since beginning your bass studies?

I needed to study walking bass theory to begin writing my own lines for the jazz standards that my buddies wanted to play.
So pretty much bass specific theory. At least for now...
I have been playing piano most of my life but I play some bass for fun every now and again ... I did a brief stint in my college jazz band before going back to piano. This has been a fun thread for me ... although a bit dangerous in that I don't need to rekindle my love of bass and learning an instrument such that I spread my creative energies even thinner. I have enough to practice on Piano, guitar, voice and my #1 love ... song writing ... so keep posting and I'll enjoy your progress and live vicariously through you:-)

Not sure if your recorder supports this feature but a lot of Tascam recorders have a jack that you can plug in an on/off foot pedal so that you can can start and stop the recording process with your foot.
I have an input Jack for line in or mic, an output Jack for headphones, and a USB connector. No foot pedal Jack, unfortunately.

I found a version of Miles Davis Freddie Freeloader with no bass, so decided to give it a try.
I did change to tape wound strings in the mean time, and I like the sound. A little bit more woody sounding.
I do like to do these in one take, to put more pressure on myself... as if playing live. So not perfect, and also, it starts immediately, so the first bar is hard to get right on... Anyway, here it is.
(It is long, so only did a few minutes worth, as it just repeats the same form).

View attachment Fredie Freeloader.mp3

Screenshot (17).png

I thought this was an interesting experiment that this guy did. Take some classic recordings by the likes of Led Zeppelin, Aretha Franklin, Frank Sinatra, and others, and apply digital auto tune to them.

Would be interested to hear what others think of this. I think that, since this is routinely done now in modern recordings, that this is what has taken the soul out of music. Too perfect, all the little human voice nuances are taken out, making it too sterile.

To me, all music is based on the blues, and when there is none of that, it becomes uninteresting, and doesn't really connect anything with the listener. (Hard to explain really, so I will just leave it there.)

Back
Top Bottom